Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Expo70 posted:

obviously, but the kayfabe is "real enough" to be entertaining: people watch wrestling anyway
if pro wrestling was an audience staring at an empty ring and telling each other what was really going on this analogy might work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Expo70 posted:

Do you think a containment thread is in order?

i'm not a mod, but i think if there's a real in-depth back and forth about the truthbeams concept and implementation, it might be worthwhile just because you both have a very verbose style that probably lends itself to a more focused thread if it's not directly about bitcoin or blockchains

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Expo70 posted:

Do you think a containment thread is in order?

No.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

infernal machines posted:

i'm not a mod, but i think if there's a real in-depth back and forth about the truthbeams concept and implementation, it might be worthwhile just because you both have a very verbose style that probably lends itself to a more focused thread if it's not directly about bitcoin or blockchains

quiet, you

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Shumagorath posted:

if pro wrestling was an audience staring at an empty ring and telling each other what was really going on this analogy might work

so basically low budget pre-20th century astronomy

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
okay all this talk of cans full of marbles...does anyone know a good place to get marbles of specific sizes and colours? its harder than I would have thought going in to it. i know there's marble perverts out there, i've seen your videos, where is your secret marble purchasing website??

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
just buy them by the tonne off alibaba

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Boxturret posted:

okay all this talk of cans full of marbles...does anyone know a good place to get marbles of specific sizes and colours? its harder than I would have thought going in to it. i know there's marble perverts out there, i've seen your videos, where is your secret marble purchasing website??

you've got the hobby backwards:

it is not the marbles which make the hobby, but the tracks the marbles move through

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSQyPdYz4f4

e: you guys aren't talking about marbles are you

fine i will watch this to cheer myself up

Expo70 fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 14, 2023

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

that guy's decent in to elon brain is very bitcoin

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Boxturret posted:

that guy's decent in to elon brain is very bitcoin

:dafuq:

you wanna try that again champ?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

edit: wrong thread

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Expo70 posted:

:dafuq:

you wanna try that again champ?

that guy's been trying and failing to make an actually working music machine for years now, and somewhat more recently got in to a big self help book/elon musk quote phase

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

yeah i unsubscribed after he started excitedly bringing up elon musk while failing to make his machine, and that was like 2-3 years ago by now lol

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Shame Boy posted:

yeah i unsubscribed after he started excitedly bringing up elon musk while failing to make his machine, and that was like 2-3 years ago by now lol
eagerly emulating the “man” himself lol

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

lately he's decided that his repeated failures have given him enough experience to make the machine even bigger lol

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Boxturret posted:

that guy's been trying and failing to make an actually working music machine for years now, and somewhat more recently got in to a big self help book/elon musk quote phase

huhh. I had no idea he had an intention of ease of reassembly for transport, a metal frame, reliablility, etc.

he should have just made a simpler machine, and started small instead of just building "the one"

at any scale, you always need the prior knowledge of the previous scales and you have to develop it naturally

you can't like, out-think physics and the universe or w/e unless your materials or tools are good enough to solve it all for you, or your priors are good enough

the musk poo poo is yucky

i guess it almost brings us full circle?

Boxturret posted:

lately he's decided that his repeated failures have given him enough experience to make the machine even bigger lol

he should be doing the literal opposite of this to establish and test for small optimization rules before going big

the loving dork thought bowden cable was viable for this

a small model and some rigor would have proven it wasn't

Shumagorath posted:

eagerly emulating the “man” himself lol

which one do you think will kill themselves first?

i can feel in my bones that someone out there, at least one person, has a wager on this very thing

Expo70 fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 14, 2023

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Expo70 posted:

i guess it almost brings us full circle?
if you mean we're back to "nerds pretending they're so smart they can out-genius physics or human interaction" yeah that's pretty much this whole forum but especially buttcoins

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

qirex posted:

if you mean we're back to "nerds pretending they're so smart they can out-genius physics or human interaction" yeah that's pretty much this whole forum but especially buttcoins

this is what happens to human brains when they consume nothing but fiction or hyperreality all day

"I will solve not-brain problems with brain!"

"OK cool, have you ever seen anybody actually successfully do this?"

"Ironman, Sherlock Holmes, Emmett Brown..."

"Real people."

"Real what?"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

qirex posted:

from first principles...

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

he wants the machine to be the most tight music machine ever, so better than all the music boxes and player pianos and calliopes and the like that were at their peak made by dedicated crafts people with years and years of expertise behind them

but he wants to do it by dropping ball bearings, and also he's not very smart*

it really is similar to bitcoiners wanting to build a new economic system but using a slow database and also they don't even know how the economy works

*his second machine had a faster wheel feeding marbles on to a slower wheel, so everything got backed up and blew out a pipe lol

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Boxturret posted:

mcdonalds!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

did this guy not play enough the incredible machine as a kid, or too much?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

what if you raised a child and only showed them the animusic pipe dream. as a joke

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there's a room in the arts et metiers museum in paris with a bunch of the ridiculous clockwork automata that the later kings of france commissioned, each one took a team of the most skilled clockmakers and craftsmen of their day like a decade to make

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

infernal machines posted:

i too would quite like both cathal and expo70 to take this time cubery on the blockchain somewhere else or indeed nowhere at all if they are this chronically unable to keep it way loving shorter

it's boring and tedious guys, this is the thread for funny blockchain stuff not unfunny whatever you're doing

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

qirex posted:

there's a room in the arts et metiers museum in paris with a bunch of the ridiculous clockwork automata that the later kings of france commissioned, each one took a team of the most skilled clockmakers and craftsmen of their day like a decade to make

ah but they didn't have google and a CAD program they didn't really know how to use :smuggo:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

qirex posted:

yes, this is why we invented 10x engineers

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Shumagorath posted:

would never work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cslu7zFmPjM

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

qirex posted:

it occurs to me that projectors don't even really behave like that, unless the goal is that every truth beam video is just people awkwardly covering their eyes as a high resolution projector the size of a refrigerator blasts directly at them

C'mon, we all know he's going to work with worldcoin on scanning retinas to ensure you're properly seeing the Truth. Otherwise how can you be sure? :tinfoil:

Xathal
Dec 12, 2023

divabot posted:

i too would quite like both cathal and expo70 to take this time cubery on the blockchain somewhere else or indeed nowhere at all if they are this chronically unable to keep it way loving shorter

it's boring and tedious guys, this is the thread for funny blockchain stuff not unfunny whatever you're doing

If my vote is worth anything, I'd love a containment thread for Expo70's and Xathal's conversation, but don't want to go starting threads where I'm barely tolerated.

Expo70 posted:

...I'm not sure if by this you mean reading my replies, or scouring my entire post-history...

I meant the former. Each of your responses has sufficient semantic density that, at my current level of busyness, I would be more comfortable allowing your commentary to resonate within me for a couple of days until it reaches some form of equilibrium allowing my further questions to be worth your time answering. The reason I'm not doing that is that I'm also trying to address Truth Beam discussion and it would be rude to respond to one and not the other in the same thread.

I can do the latter succinctly, but communicating with Expo70 requires code switching to a language only spoken by those who have experienced high levels of trauma.

If it is still welcome, I can then address Truth Beam discussion much more accessibly here.

filthy regex
Oct 1, 2010

s/ (. Y .) / 8==D~~ /g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWVFEVWJMz8

RIP Huell

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

love that loving video, thanks for having me watch it again

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

divabot posted:

your tolerance for buttcoin certainly surpasses mine sir

seems fair

e:
for context I think all coins are basically timecube until they let me buy things I can't get through other channels

land ownership and the concept of nations is also timecube

we all think something is timecube

Expo70 fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 14, 2023

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

fine i'll make y'all a containment thread one sec

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

i don't think timecube is timecube

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Xathal posted:

If my vote is worth anything, I'd love a containment thread for Expo70's and Xathal's conversation, but don't want to go starting threads where I'm barely tolerated.

anyone can make a thread in yospos. It is a cheap and legal thrill.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Boxturret posted:

i don't think timecube is timecube

:wrong:

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Xathal posted:

If my vote is worth anything, I'd love a containment thread for Expo70's and Xathal's conversation

this mf'er refer to he self in the 3rd person

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

shitface posted:

this mf'er refer to he self in the 3rd person

do you not have "the royal we" in America?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Expo70 posted:

do you not have "the royal we" in America?

I don't think the Americans, historically, are much of a fan of the whole royal thing. also, I'm neither American or located in America