Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The_Other posted:

Question, what does Val mean by "recover her section"?

Police her section.
Fix it up, throw away trash, refold rumpled clothes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Powered Descent posted:

Isn't Milo a little old for a car seat and sippy cup? He goes to school and does math homework.

It's a booster seat. NHTSA recommends you keep a kid in one until they're big enough to fit in an adult seatbelt properly, which they suggest is between ages 8 and 12 but will vary from kid to kid depending on their size.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Just wanna take a moment to really appreciate the storytelling in Thimble Theater. The story is usually very predictable, you could honestly call Popeye the first shonen manga protagonist, he will go to a place on adventure meet a bad guy and punch him really hard. Here we see a lot of effort to really give some mystery and gravitas to the Sea Hag.

I am also big enough to admit that's a very good Luann with a solid joke, understanding of SOME GIZMO and playful character dynamic.

And speaking of laughs holy hell I'm loving Lil Abner. A LOVE PIRATE. JUDGE I DUN GONE TO SCHOOL, I BEEN IN THE SECOND GRADE FER NINE YEARS! A GUN! AT FIFTEEN! WELL SHUCKS I GOT A FISHIN' LICENSE. HMMM I STILL THINK LEM IS A GOOD FELLA AT HEART. :allears:

Jucika "436 - Jucika's Dress Thus Became A Trend"

"437 - Jucika's Net Swimsuit" NSFW Nudity

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

They really tried to paper map it in TYooL 2023

Don't badmouth the road atlas. Doesn't need batteries, works anywhere, just toss it in the trunk along with a couple of liters of water and you can forget they're there until suddenly you need them. Might not have saved my rear end, but certainly made things easier a few times in my life.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Official Prediction (as a friend of mine often says): This Dustin stoyline is going to be a combination of sad (really explaining some of the 'whys' of Dustin) and infuriating (his lovely family not understanding or nourishing him at all) in equal parts.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
The ending is either going to be a traditional feel good story (before immediately returning to the status quo) or Dustin just going "Hell yeah, I love being lazy" and the ghosts give up.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
It would be genuinely funny if Dustin fell asleep in the middle of the visitations, so of course that won't happen.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

that's what's wrong with the youth these days - they read and look at art instead of #sports

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Dude… wasn’t there a really bad rape in that series?

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing
Timg'd for boob

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I didn't realize Dustin was in the southern hemisphere, because that Christmas looks pretty warm

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i cannot think of a single time in all the time i've seen dustin posted in these threads that he's ever been portrayed as a comic book nerd

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Darthemed posted:

It would be genuinely funny if Dustin fell asleep in the middle of the visitations, so of course that won't happen.

It'd also require the writers to realize they've been writing Dustin with undiagnosed narcolepsy rather than just being vaguely "lazy". (I mean he is also portrayed as being lazy, but "falling asleep unintentionally at work" is different from napping on purpose, and he's been shown to do the former.)

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Always hilarious when a comic strip makes fun of people who read comics, especially when the writer is a Boomer co-opting Dickens in order to justify constantly making GBS threads all over the lead character.

Get hosed sideways with barbed wire, Kelley.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Crab Dad posted:

Dude… wasn’t there a really bad rape in that series?

Yes, as I understand it, but he's at issue 1. He's got six issues to go before even the first grisly murder. I haven't read it far enough for that, but I _think_ there are at least a dozen volumes before that event.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 13, 2023

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

So I thought GoComics might have screwed up, since this takes place at the beginning of the comic in my collected edition, but a commentator on the GoComics site by the name of John Campbell (who may be the same person a Jim Campbell, who did the lettering on the early Steeple comics) set the record straight.

John Campbell posted:

This strip originally had a banner across the top reading “THREE WEEKS EARLIER”. The published version removed the banner, but moved the strip to where it fits chronologically in the story, between the strip where Sonny and Grandpa Joe look at the cursed scooter (which ran here on July 27th, 2023), and the next strip where the boys come back for it and find it gone (July 28th). GoComics, however, has the strip back where it originally appeared, but it’s still missing the banner that indicates that it’s a flashback, so it’s just generally confusing.

So, yeah, this is a flashback to three weeks earlier, when Gary Thickett bought the cursed scooter before Sonny could come back for it. Note that the scooter is emitting some kind of red mind-control circles, which have ensorcelled Gary. The others with Gary you may recognize as the two gimlet-eyed stunners and lad picking his teeth with a stiletto who formed Gary’s original mod coterie.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
What makes this Dustin extra stupid is that Dustin is socially well adjusted. The strip demonstrates it constantly. He gets along well with his family(he loves and supports them, it's Ed who is Ed and his sister who is an acid-tongued rear end in a top hat), non-boss coworkers, big brothers to a random kid and always makes first approaches to ladies while out at bars with his best friend. What holds him back is that his author is an enormous shithead and he exists in a setting where people can smell the Designated Loser on him and are huge pieces of poo poo to him all the time.

Of course his author is an enormous shithead so it's the holiday Dustin Is A Loser storyline but written poorly even for Dustin. :v:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
No one in Dustin has a personality, just whatever markers Kelley thinks the people in the punchline have. Dustin reads comics because that's a thing Kelley thinks rotten kids do. Dustin falls asleep because Kelley can't think of anything else slackers do at work. Dustin gets rejected by women because Kelley thinks women are a yardstick for a man's worth and not beings with individual wants and interests.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 12/20-22/51

Archie 12/23-24, 27/48

Tom Corbett, Space Cadet 12/6-8/51

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Selachian posted:

Tom Corbett, Space Cadet 12/6-8/51

I really like golden age sci-fi, so I've been trying to enjoy Tom Corbett, but it's just not hitting for me. :(

It certainly doesn't help that I have trouble telling the characters apart unless they call each other by name.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

And here's a Mike Manley update I saw on Facebook for those interested:

Mike Manley posted:

Well, I thought I would give everybody a bit of an update. My inner circle of course knows in my family, but it looks like I will be having open heart surgery sometime in the next few days. This whole roundabout of colliding health issues has revealed that my heart is an actually pretty bad shape even though I have never suffered any issues with it, other than hypertension which I’ve had since I was in my 20s. But it appears that I have several major blockages.

That means that the exploratory surgery the other day revealed that they were not just going to be able to fix them with stents, and they’re actually going to have to do what they call CABG. Were they basically harvest arteries from your body and stitch them on basically bypassing the occluded, bad veins or arteries. It appears that my heart has grown extra helper veins or arteries, so that’s probably why I haven’t felt any pain or discomfort, and would not have until probably I had some massive heart attack or stroke. So the cellulitis which led to the water retention, which led to them examining my heart has led to this next step. Which is still kind of scary, but they feel very confident about. I may even get some robotic version of CABG that goes through slits in my ribs so they don’t have to crack me open and looks like a spider and something out of a anime movie. All said I will have the surgery at some point this week after they transfer me back to Lachenour the sister hospital of Bryn Mawr. Were they do that specific type of surgery. Then I’ll probably be in the hospital for several days to see how I do and then after that they either send me to a facility or hopefully they’ll be sending me home so I’m gonna be out of commission for a little bit.

ironically, I feel great! I am bored, but I have no pain and I have probably whizzed off 15 to 20 pounds of water in the last two days are so amazing how much water your body can hold. This is made me work on my will because there is of course always an outside chance that I won’t make it, but they feel pretty confident about, this or they would not have offered the surgery is what they told me. I guess depending upon the condition of your heart and your age they factor all that in so the fact that I’m only 62 I have never had any problem with my heart works for me. So I will give you all more updates as I get closer to the actual event and then of course, after the event, if I’m still here, which I hope to be all of this has given me very strange dreams in the environment of the hospital as any of you who have spent any time no is not a very restful place.
Get better, Mike.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Haifisch posted:

1981 comics

lol I remember this exact Beetle Baily strip from a collection I had when I was a kid. I thought it was really good then, and turns out I still do.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Ghostlight posted:

that's what's wrong with the youth these days - they read and look at art instead of #sports
"Yeah, the youth, spending their time reading comic books instead of playing sportsball."
*draws a syndicated comic strip*

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

I really like golden age sci-fi, so I've been trying to enjoy Tom Corbett, but it's just not hitting for me. :(

It certainly doesn't help that I have trouble telling the characters apart unless they call each other by name.

Honestly, I've been thinking of ditching it, maybe when the new thread rolls around. The first few strips were fun but it's been a bit of a drag since.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Chik-Fil-A Should Be Destroyed

Depressurized Reindeer Guts

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Out Our Way At Christmas (December 17, 19, 21, 1923)

Our Boarding House (December 11-13, 1924)

Toonerville Folks (February 20-22, 1922)

Dok's Dippy Ducking Into The Italian Peninsula (January 10, 1915; timg'd for borderline Italian stereotype)

Little Lefty (July 27-29, 1939)

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

EasyEW posted:

Born Thirty Years Too Soon (For Industrial)

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Pluggers

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (September 13-15, 2004)

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary is illegal in Tennessee

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

Sally's mother storms out of the house, gets hit by a truck, the end.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Mister Kingdom posted:

Sally's mother storms out of the house, gets hit by a truck, the end.

God bless us, every one.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

EasyEW posted:

This really brought a smile to my face, it reminds me of that musical score of Faerie's Aire

https://socks-studio.com/2012/05/19/the-unplayable-score-faeries-aire-and-death-waltz-john-stump/

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

EasyEW posted:

Kavak posted:

Born Thirty Years Too Soon (For Industrial)

The judges would've also accepted "Born Thirty Years Too Soon (For Ornette Coleman)".

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

This really brought a smile to my face, it reminds me of that musical score of Faerie's Aire

https://socks-studio.com/2012/05/19/the-unplayable-score-faeries-aire-and-death-waltz-john-stump/

That's art right there. Probably art to play, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Hostile V posted:

Chik-Fil-A Should Be Destroyed

Wait, the Chick-Fil-A cows exist in--- you know what, never mind. I don't want to know.