Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

catlord posted:

Gameplay trailer for Mouse and a date of 2025.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av3K-PEEF1c

I hope ends up as good as it looks, it is very much my jam.

Looks great, also 1 million views in 18 hours for a relatively niche genre. Crazy numbers. 25 though, bummer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

catlord posted:

Gameplay trailer for Mouse and a date of 2025.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av3K-PEEF1c

I hope ends up as good as it looks, it is very much my jam.
Level design looks a little better than the last time I saw this, but it still feels like the proof on this one isn't in the playing, if you catch my gist.

Also, the sound effects are too clean. Especially the brief burst of voiceover. Compress them shits to hell, make it sound like they were recorded on vintage equipment on a soundstage in between takes of a more respectable movie! At least, that's how I remember hearing how the old Tom & Jerry/Mel Blanc/etc. screams were done...

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Mouse still feels like style over substance streamer bait to me, but I'm certainly pulling for it to be an actually good FPS.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

:siren: Quickly reminder that Dusk HD is a FREE DLC, not a toggle or a workshop item so go to the storepage and click on it and "Add to the library" :siren:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

:hellyeah:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Guillermus posted:

:siren: Quickly reminder that Dusk HD is a FREE DLC, not a toggle or a workshop item so go to the storepage and click on it and "Add to the library" :siren:

thank you, i couldn't figure this out :unsmith:

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I'll defend pretty much any one of Sandy's levels. Romero was undeniably the best level designer on the team by far, but Sandy's maps are a lot of fun, even the "bad" ones like Downtown and The Chasm. When it comes to Doom 2, I'll take pretty much any of them over American McGee's maps which look nice but have incredibly boring gameplay, and when it comes to Doom 1, I prefer his maps over Tom Hall's random assortment of rooms with no particular purpose (which to be fair was basically what he was assigned to make, so I don't mean to throw him under the bus).

I think MAP02 to MAP06 in Doom 2 is by far the longest weak stretch in the series gameplay-wise. I can't even count how many times I've started a playthrough on a whim, got to MAP05 and just thought "ah gently caress this" and turned it off.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

The first time I made an effort to find out who designed which maps in Doom 1 and 2, I did find it quite striking how many of the most memorable maps are Sandy maps. Not necessarily all the best ones, but yeah, memorable for sure.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Chasm becomes even more memorable when you play the cursed GBA version which made that two levels.

I still can't believe the GBA version was my entry point

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I really enjoyed GBA Doom 1, but I think GBA Doom 2 was made by a different developer. I don’t know if it’s because Doom 2 has bigger levels and more enemies, but it didn’t look or play as well as GBA Doom 1.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Volte posted:

I'll defend pretty much any one of Sandy's levels. Romero was undeniably the best level designer on the team by far, but Sandy's maps are a lot of fun, even the "bad" ones like Downtown and The Chasm.
Romero's maps tended to be architecturally abstract, but balanced on the whole. Like nothing in E1 feels remotely like a real place, but there is a kind of holistic consistency both within individual levels and across the episode.

Tom's maps attempted to be architecturally grounded--I guess--but that made them kind of boring. Like E2M2 is pretty novel, and I think MAP10 is a lot of fun too, but the rest generally fall short to me.

Sandy's maps were both abstract and unbalanced. Each often involves one wild idea with varying degrees of success in execution, but you really couldn't predict what his next map would look like based on the last (well, maybe E3M9 aside).

Volte posted:

When it comes to Doom 2, I'll take pretty much any of them over American McGee's maps which look nice but have incredibly boring gameplay,
I know one of American's responsibilities during 1994 was to simplify the level geometry of the DOOM maps for the Jaguar release. So I'm curious if he worked on his DOOM II maps concurrent or after his Jaguar work. If so, that may explain their simplicity.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Volte posted:

I think MAP02 to MAP06 in Doom 2 is by far the longest weak stretch in the series gameplay-wise. I can't even count how many times I've started a playthrough on a whim, got to MAP05 and just thought "ah gently caress this" and turned it off.

Yeah definitely. Or at least 3-5. I do like The Crusher, and I don't hate MAP02, but Gantlet and Waste Tunnels are especially unmotivating for me. And I always completely forget about The Focus.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I wonder if Nightdive will ever remaster Blood 2 the way they did Turok 3

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Convex posted:

I’d like them to push at least one more patch for Fresh Supply before even contemplating whether they could make something good come from Blood 2’s dry well. Honestly I’d much rather see them do Shogo.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Hasturtium posted:

I’d like them to push at least one more patch for Fresh Supply before even contemplating whether they could make something good come from Blood 2’s dry well.
May or may not happen, but someone's poking at it in-between all the other stuff going on.

Rocket Pan posted:

We have Blood access back and I tried updating some stuff but found one specific bug fix I needed to backport relied too much on Kex4 render context and multithreading code to function. So right now I'm doing an update of Blood to Kex4 instead during my spare time, it'll take a bit.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Sir Lemming posted:

Yeah definitely. Or at least 3-5. I do like The Crusher, and I don't hate MAP02, but Gantlet and Waste Tunnels are especially unmotivating for me. And I always completely forget about The Focus.

Hard agree on Gantlet and Waste Tunnels. Especially Waste Tunnels.

Convex posted:

I mean, making the whole thing not fall apart if you look at it wrong would help that game a lot, but I can't help but think it'd probably need significantly more polish than Turok 3 did. And I like Blood 2 better than most.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Volte posted:

I'll defend pretty much any one of Sandy's levels. Romero was undeniably the best level designer on the team by far, but Sandy's maps are a lot of fun, even the "bad" ones like Downtown and The Chasm. When it comes to Doom 2, I'll take pretty much any of them over American McGee's maps which look nice but have incredibly boring gameplay, and when it comes to Doom 1, I prefer his maps over Tom Hall's random assortment of rooms with no particular purpose (which to be fair was basically what he was assigned to make, so I don't mean to throw him under the bus).

The crusher weak? Insanity

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Mill Village posted:

I really enjoyed GBA Doom 1, but I think GBA Doom 2 was made by a different developer. I don’t know if it’s because Doom 2 has bigger levels and more enemies, but it didn’t look or play as well as GBA Doom 1.

It wasn't just a different developer, but a different engine. Doom 1 was a port of the Jaguar version, Doom 2 had Torus Games adapt their own raycaster engine (also used in Duke Nukem Advance) and as a result it's full of weird mechanical inaccuracies. Particularly bullet spread from guns is just broken.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Tom's maps attempted to be architecturally grounded--I guess--but that made them kind of boring. Like E2M2 is pretty novel, and I think MAP10 is a lot of fun too, but the rest generally fall short to me.
Someone on Doomworld did an elimination tournament a while back and somehow E2M2 ended up as the best Doom map

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

david_a posted:

Someone on Doomworld did an elimination tournament a while back and somehow E2M2 ended up as the best Doom map

i remember that because i was trying real hard to get MAP29 to win

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I ain’t reading all that bullsheeit

Turok 1: shoot the dinosaurs
Turok 2: shoot the aliens
Turok 3: shoot Turok

There's actually so many not-dinosaurs in Turok: Dinosaur Hunter. Most of the time you're shooting people, and they make the best death sounds imaginable

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Arivia posted:

i remember that because i was trying real hard to get MAP29 to win

It's a great map I think

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sprawl is fine so far, but it picked a bad year to come out with turbo overkill right next to it

it's simpler and relies a bit heavily on bullet time. I'm enjoying it but ranking it behind HROT, Q2R, and Slayers X (but ahead of Atomic Heart, Dread Templar, Boltgun, Zortch and Chop Goblins)

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
My favourite maps of each episode are: E1M7, E2M6, E3M6, E4M2, and for Doom II (by episode) MAP08, MAP15, MAP29. Overall if I had to pick a favourite out of all of those, I'd probably say E1M7 but MAP08 would be my second pick.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

Sprawl is fine so far, but it picked a bad year to come out with turbo overkill right next to it

it's simpler and relies a bit heavily on bullet time. I'm enjoying it but ranking it behind HROT, Q2R, and Slayers X (but ahead of Atomic Heart, Dread Templar, Boltgun, Zortch and Chop Goblins)

It's been a hell of a year. Im alternating Q2R and DUSK HD rn and god this is gaming nirvana

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I could not remotely understand alternating between Quake 2 and Dusk unless you're perhaps a masochist or maybe just like delaying satisfaction.

Q2DM still very good however

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

I could not remotely understand alternating between Quake 2 and Dusk unless you're perhaps a masochist or maybe just like delaying satisfaction.

Q2DM still very good however

I usually have a few on the go at once, probably ADHD related but who knows

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Convex posted:

I'm an ADHD head as well and struggle with sticking to any one game at the best of times, but weeks like this have been particularly bad due to various content drops. I've played a little bit of Doom, Quake, Thief, Dusk and Unreal Tournament in the last week.

Other than Thief I don't mind that so much though. I think one of the reasons my brain has gravitated so hard towards old school shooters, other than them being awesome, is that I can bounce around them fairly easily on a whim. I'd definitely like to try and ringfence some proper time for Thief, though.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Convex posted:

No I meant single player quake was a pretty big whiff for me while Dusk is excellent. I did kinda like the cotm levels well enough though. Probably shouldn't have played them so early.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

No I meant single player quake was a pretty big whiff for me while Dusk is excellent. I did kinda like the cotm levels well enough though. Probably shouldn't have played them so early.

Ah, I think having nostalgia for playing the original Q2 at release helped with this, as well as playing on Hard. There's no beating that soundtrack!

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Quake 2 is good ok

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Quake 2 is a videogame and is therefore inherently bad

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Stroggs rule okay

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Baron von Eevl posted:

Stroggs rule okay

Demons rule,
Stroggs drool.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I legit like quake 2 single player to a point and then it just keeps going. And the enemies are tanks. Like that's what they're called

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I definitely remembered Big Gun as being the end of Quake 2 for some reason. Because of the edgy “one man war” framing of the game it kind of works for it atmospherically that it drags on and on. It actually reminds me slightly of the original Gears of War where by the end of the game, the characters are all complaining about what a terrible loving day they’ve had and how sick they are of being in this poo poo

The actual gameplay experience however…oof yeah it goes well past the point where it mostly runs out of new stuff. The last cool bit is the secret map where you teleport to a space station. It makes me imagine a better version of Q2 that kept the planetary invasion theme but was less wedded to the brown industrial everything.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Any of you loving nerds know any good books about retro shooters or really just 90's PC gaming more broadly?

Really enjoyed Romero's book and Masters of Doom this year, and I've got that Lan Party book pre-ordered which looks like a really fun and dumb way to tickle nostalgic memories. Anything along those same sort of lines would be good.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bumhead posted:

Any of you loving nerds know any good books about retro shooters or really just 90's PC gaming more broadly?

Really enjoyed Romero's book and Masters of Doom this year, and I've got that Lan Party book pre-ordered which looks like a really fun and dumb way to tickle nostalgic memories. Anything along those same sort of lines would be good.

https://www.bitmapbooks.com/products/i-m-too-young-to-die-the-ultimate-guide-to-first-person-shooters-1992-2002

This book rules

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

:yeah:

Especially the deluxe version which came with a weird comic book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

I got this for Christmas last year and it's awesome