Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

LordSloth posted:

Going from Icarus' free weekend to previously unplayed copy of Starsand: :lol:
Not my best idea, but an interesting contrast in odd decisions. Both base openworld Icarus at previous sale price and Starsand at it's current sale price are decent values but probably third tier in my survival backlog.

For instance, the world map. In Icarus, the world map autofills but you can't put more than one marker at the start. In Starsand, the map of the desert starts blank, and stays blank. You have to build structural markers to display your current location on it, and then place permanent markers because the storms will destroy the structural ones. Your location is never displayed on the map, just what you mark and the structural markers you built. As well, you have no compass. This game wants you to get lost in the dunes, climbing them, and casting your eyes over the horizon for any features.

Icarus has those ridiculous defense waves and the very cowardly/aggressive wildlife. Starsand has passive wildlife, reasonably aggressive wildlife, and those damned sandworms who are psychotically fixated on your location. Also, poison never wears off unless you take an antidote. It won't kill you, but combined with those sandworms it can make for a unpleasant surprise if you've wasted the fruit you need for an antidote and can't heal up enough to fend off those sandworms. The game wants its unpleasant surprises but you can manage them, if you can manage your tiny starting inventory first.

Switching to gamepass to try out Conan, Grounded, No Man's Sky - and if none of those strike my fancy, my second tier is games I've already played on Steam. Perhaps Subnautica with a large selection of mods, maybe a shader or graphics overhaul if I'm not overwhelmed by the variety of options I've already found. Maybe Valheim because I still haven't played it yet and I don't need bleeding edge graphics. Or one of a few other titles that I don't have anything to say about right now. That sense of shame I feel upon seeing Starbound in my steam inventory (perhaps I should hide that from the list).

Conan and Grounded have an excellent building system and interesting events and dungeons to explore, making them great for solo play.

NMS has more or less delivered on most of its promises at this point and is a ton of fun but I always find myself slipping off after realizing how shallow everything is. The Derelict missions were a nice change of pace but most everything else is kind of the same sort of slog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Passmore can afford some gold items, but usually only one or two a day. Not watches ever, though.

E: I’ve never tried to see if it’s possible to “seed” him with enough cash to get a gold watch sold. I think you buy from him in OC and sell in RM, though, so it’s probably not possible to buy all his stuff to increase his RM.

When you really start selling and bankrupt shops daily budgets, you can sometimes sneak in a few more sales if they have anything you want to buy.

That's weird, I'm pretty sure I brought him bars and trays and it wasn't even an option to offer it.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

grate deceiver posted:

That's weird, I'm pretty sure I brought him bars and trays and it wasn't even an option to offer it.

If you had sold anything else to him recently he may not have been able to afford it.

Sesquiculus
Aug 15, 2002

Spanish Matlock posted:

Conan and Grounded have an excellent building system and interesting events and dungeons to explore, making them great for solo play.

Conan is also getting a patch next week that introduces a NPC fortress that you can siege, which is the one major mechanic solo/PvE players previously didn't have access to. If you are going to play Conan solo though be sure to create your character on the Exiled Lands and not the Isle of Siptah. Siptah is much more multiplayer/PvP focused and isn't going to get the new NPC fortress.

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

Somehow hit 50 hours on Icarus although I'd guess a chunk of this is from leaving the game on the main menu screen a few times. There are the bones of a good game here but does need some polishing.

I think the mission-based progression is a bit backwards. It quickly becomes very tedious dropping into exactly the same map for missions, starting from basically scratch, and sprinting miles between objectives for a single mission. It would be much better if you could stack them, working through the whole zone in a single session.

I think the Open World mode is meant to address this but it doesn't have the full roster of missions yet, so it still seems like you're required to do at least some missions for technology unlocks and currencies. Some kind of faster travel system between zones in a persistent world, maybe using drop-pods, would be vastly better than the current system. There's just too much travel, which wouldn't be so bad if the map was procgen, but it's exactly the same map each time.

Fortunately, I think the developers are heading in the right direction with the weekly updates. An update releasing Soon™ will let you bring mounts between missions which will definitely help but I'd much rather see vehicles; they'd make more sense within the context of the space station workshop. Overall, maybe worth checking back in a year or so.

Aster0ids
Oct 13, 2018
Scum is on sale and im itching for a Dayz epoch experience (AKA building a base, raiding some areas for loot with the danger of other players, raiding bases, maybe)

Whats the state of the game right now and is it inclined toward what im looking for, good enough to drop 25$ on it?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

There's gonna be a big 0.95 update in SCUM shortly (they've said it'll be out before christmas) which changes the game in a pretty profound way by giving the zomboids skills to crawl through windows and open doors. Plus adding some kind of mini-hordes to roam around, this of course depending on how good their optimization is since the game still can't handle servers with lots of players, so how will it handle a puppet horde (although I think it'll be quite a small horde).

Possibly something else too, haven't followed that closely lately, I know there's talk about a reworked crafting system, possibly in this one also.

I'm personally waiting for their 1.0 which supposedly starts to add AI enemies like scavs or the like, but I might give this one a go if the hordes are fun. It certainly adds more danger to looting. So I would think this is a pretty good time to try the game out, since there'll always be lots of players around with a big update.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I enjoyed playing SP SCUM for like 20-25ish hours. Anything after that and you're strictly in the hands of other people for your entertainment.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

i think 0.95 comes out on the 14th, after a livestream event they're doing the day before

but yeah, 0.95 and eventually 1.0 are very exciting PvE-wise and SCUM is already really cool alone or with a friend or two on a private server

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Necesse is on sale for $5 and is a pretty dang good deal for that price imo

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1169040/Necesse/

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Vasudus posted:

I enjoyed playing SP SCUM for like 20-25ish hours. Anything after that and you're strictly in the hands of other people for your entertainment.

Yeah, the single player content as it's now will get old sooner or later, since there's no dynamic stuff like events, quests, NPC's, roaming TEC-1 kill patrols or anything like that (yet, at least - the devs are promising the AI stuff at or post 1.0). But if one is starting now and actually wants to get into multiplayer, then yeah I would say getting SCUM at a discount is not that bad. Especially with a big patch coming right up.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Dec 13, 2023

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Abiotic Factor's doing another playtest, not too much more compared to the last, another floor of the office complex is opened up (executive and labs) to explore, some rejiggering on item rarities it seems, and you can actually craft the hacking tool to unlock all those locked doors around. And there's now proximity voice chat, which is great for coop vibes.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

TeaJay posted:

There's gonna be a big 0.95 update in SCUM shortly (they've said it'll be out before christmas) which changes the game in a pretty profound way by giving the zomboids skills to crawl through windows and open doors. Plus adding some kind of mini-hordes to roam around, this of course depending on how good their optimization is since the game still can't handle servers with lots of players, so how will it handle a puppet horde (although I think it'll be quite a small horde).

Possibly something else too, haven't followed that closely lately, I know there's talk about a reworked crafting system, possibly in this one also.

I'm personally waiting for their 1.0 which supposedly starts to add AI enemies like scavs or the like, but I might give this one a go if the hordes are fun. It certainly adds more danger to looting. So I would think this is a pretty good time to try the game out, since there'll always be lots of players around with a big update.

I'm holding off for the 1.0 update as well. My brother and I played on a private server and had a good time, but it definitely suffers in the late game once you get established. Playing PvE that is. I'm not a fan of PvP in these games, mainly because I don't have a ton of time to devote to games anymore.

My favorite part of SCUM is the nutrition system. Having to actually consider what you're eating to ensure you get the proper nutrients is a nice change of pace.

Wish I could get into Green Hell, but for some reason I just bounce off that game hard every time I try.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

In SCUM the best kind of PVP is where you manage to just randomly square off against someone in their starting gear and some melee weapon, who is likely as scared of you than you are of them. Once everyone is fully kitted out and you get sniped from a mile away it's not enjoyable at all.

SCUM's best features tend to be those about the survival mechanics. Everything that makes it more of a looter shooter is not as good. The devs are still struggling to balance on what kind of game they are exactly trying to make, trying to satisfy both types of players.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Jawnycat posted:

Abiotic Factor's doing another playtest, not too much more compared to the last, another floor of the office complex is opened up (executive and labs) to explore, some rejiggering on item rarities it seems, and you can actually craft the hacking tool to unlock all those locked doors around. And there's now proximity voice chat, which is great for coop vibes.
Yeah, a lot of tiny changes and fixes, some new rooms to explore, and a tool to get into those rooms. Not really a lot of new content if you've played before, probably not worth rerunning unless you're obsessed, but if you didn't get a chance last time you should definitely try it now.
I'm a little sore they added a new weapon but no way to actually use it. Very good trolling, guys.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Just played Zomboid for the first time. Jesus this game is brutal.

Time to search for tips on YT.

Any "must-have" mods?

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 13, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kaddish posted:

Any "must-have" mods?

Not sure but there’s a dedicated thread which might help!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4011483&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Whoops thanks!

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

MarcusSA posted:

Necesse is on sale for $5 and is a pretty dang good deal for that price imo

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1169040/Necesse/

Nthing that this is a real fun one that scratches that itch between solo top down survival and village builder. For five whole buckaroonies it's a steal.

I'm waiting for more updates and am playing through a hefty backlog before I go back to it but I lost a few months' free time when i picked it up earlier this year.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Kaddish posted:

Any "must-have" mods?

Even if you set things to super easy, yeah Project Zomboid can be brutal from some bad luck or a couple of mistakes. It does say "this is how you die" on the intro screen though, and that's almost always going to be the outcome, at least eventually.

However, take this with a grain of salt as I'm one of those people who use little to zero mods in most games, but I wouldn't say there are any "must have" mods in Zomboid.

The base game is already super customizable and with a short amount of time you can tune most things to your liking from the regular in-game menu system at a wide range of difficulties, and there's nothing 3rd party you need to "fix the game" to make it playable..

I do know from keeping up on the thread mentioned above, there's quite a few mods that are either just for fun flavor stuff, which definitely isn't "must have" but there's also a bunch of quality-of-life stuff that I probably wouldn't go back to playing without them if I tried them, like that "remember the books you read after you die" mod sounds good. I suppose you don't miss it as much if you haven't tried it and all that.

I'd say mess around for a bit, fiddle with some settings, then post in the Zomboid thread with questions https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4011483&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1 where people are generally pretty helpful.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Anyone still playing Return to Moria? There's a 15% sale that brings it down to the price range where I'd consider it. In addition, epic is offering an additional 33% holiday coupon, bringing it down to a US $22.77

Worth my time? Statue blueprint bug fixed, sort button, auto deposit, auto collection added. Earthquakes to occasionally respawn resources while sleeping/loading. Seems like some of the rougher edges have been polished and it just comes down to: enjoyable enough to play through once for the moria experience?

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
I think the best mod that I used when starting out was the diary one. It allows you to write in the diary and save your skill progress. We'd write in the book and stash it somewhere we'd remember before setting off towards the more dangerous areas.

If you die, you just locate the book and read it, allowing you to gain all your progress back. It takes some of that sting off when you're learning the game.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2503622437

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

How much does having a group to play with matter in Valheim? Is solo fun/doable?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

LordSloth posted:

Anyone still playing Return to Moria? There's a 15% sale that brings it down to the price range where I'd consider it. In addition, epic is offering an additional 33% holiday coupon, bringing it down to a US $22.77

Worth my time? Statue blueprint bug fixed, sort button, auto deposit, auto collection added. Earthquakes to occasionally respawn resources while sleeping/loading. Seems like some of the rougher edges have been polished and it just comes down to: enjoyable enough to play through once for the moria experience?

Honestly it feels like with every patch they're making the game more accessible so I have no issues waiting for a Steam release (also because a few people in my gaming group don't want to buy Epic). A lot of the patches for Moria sound like they improve the game quality a lot.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Synthbuttrange posted:

How much does having a group to play with matter in Valheim? Is solo fun/doable?

Having a group isn't necessary but it cuts back on a lot of the resource grind since you can't use the teleporter with certain materials.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Synthbuttrange posted:

The early part through the first boss is fun solo.

The entire rest of the game involves a tremendous amount of grinding and/or mostly optional base-building. With a group this is a good time. Solo I found it tedious long before beating the second boss.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
valheim is fine solo, mistlands felt like a chore tho. Haven't really finished the Mistlands boss. Yagluth is a little rough for a solo fight but Bonemass is easy, Elder is easy, dragon isn't too hard just takes a lot of arrows (but obsidian arrows are super cheap). Use your first metal to get any necessary pickaxe/crafting upgrades you need and then always, ALWAYS upgrade your buckler-type shield (or whichever shield has the highest parry+block modifier) to max as the first thing you do and then just git gud.

It's a really good game

edit: and as far as grinding goes, it really isn't bad once you're a little bit familiar with things. Like for example there is no need for bronze or iron armor - I go straight from troll hide to silver. Similarly with weapons - a maxed wooden club works just fine until you get enough iron for a mace, and then that's fine until you get enough silver and find the merchant to make Frostnir. Farming frost caves can be a pain cause they're a little harder to find but once you get to the plains resources start to become a lot more plentiful

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 14, 2023

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The best con I ever pulled was convincing my friends that I was "the design guy" in Conan and Valheim, so they were out breaking rocks and chopping trees while I built stuff.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Arrath posted:

The best con I ever pulled was convincing my friends that I was "the design guy" in Conan and Valheim, so they were out breaking rocks and chopping trees while I built stuff.

The friend I most often play buildy survivalcraft games with is an actual licensed architect. I end up being the tree slapper. :(

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Arrath posted:

That's how my friend group is. Only one other person I play with actually likes to build, so he and I will build everything while everyone else went resource collecting.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Welp, while I was deciding whether to grab Return to Moria, it got a further sale discount. Plus coupon, I'm definitely picking it up at $13.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Draven posted:

That's how my friend group is. Only one other person I play with actually likes to build, so he and I will build everything while everyone else went resource collecting.

It's important to understand that the opposite perspective on this relationship is "we just keep going out and killing people/slapping trees and every time we come back we have a cooler base"

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Spanish Matlock posted:

It's important to understand that the opposite perspective on this relationship is "we just keep going out and killing people/slapping trees and every time we come back we have a cooler base"

This is how it goes when I play Satisfactory with my group— I’m the one that actually likes doing the megabuilds really advanced components need, so they’ll go find hard drives/clear out hazards/get up geothermal plants and connect our outposts together with roads, and when they come back I’ve got out Heavy Modular Frame factory up and running maybe halfway done give me time y’all.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LordSloth posted:

Welp, while I was deciding whether to grab Return to Moria, it got a further sale discount. Plus coupon, I'm definitely picking it up at $13.

I’d say it’s worth that

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

TeaJay posted:

this update is out now by the way

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Is SCUM fun just co-op or is it mainly pvp driven?

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Kaddish posted:

Is SCUM fun just co-op or is it mainly pvp driven?

i've had a lot of fun playing it solo even during the initial focus on PvP stuff. since i last played though, they've been adding a bunch of new PvE stuff and they plan on adding even more for the 1.0 release and beyond

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I tried the SCUM update briefly last night and they also updated all tutorials and they actually seem useful now. There are also popup tips. When you put a mask on, it says "remember you can't eat or drink with a mask on!" Which may seem obvious but there have been SO many people asking why can't I drink... Not innocent myself either. The whole in-game manual got turned into a handbook so they actually try to make the new player experience better.

The new crafting UI seems clean and shows exactly how many uses of a material you need, which was a requested feature. Plus autocrat for stuff like arrows.

I managed to trigger the horde once. Was just looting outside the C1 town when one puppet saw me, roared and all of a sudden there were like 5-6 running towards me. I was able to run away and shake all but a fast one I took down. In the old days I'd just gone inside a house and bow them down, now I actually had to plan escape routes in case things get hairy. Climbing on top of garages seems to be a best bet since I don't think the slow ones can jump that high.

I'd say there's definitely fun in solo but especially co-op, all this is much better with some other survivors.

LordSloth posted:

Also this kind of discounting ends all my plans for "waiting for a steam release and more content" lol, I bought it too

On the other hand it seems kinda strange since the game is not doing badly, the devs are pretty active and making updates/patches/new content, already I think it's a lot better than on release in terms of QOL.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Dec 15, 2023

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Return to Moria might be a case of an immediate mod if you're used to single-player, but not if you most commonly play this type of game in MP.

There is no pause. Let me repeat, there is no pause, even offline and hitting escape.

Fortunately, there is the BD Game Pause mod
Unfortunately, it may or may not be broken with the latest update. I had no luck getting it to interact, not sure if I installed it correctly since my directories don't match exactly with the directions or if it just isn't.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

What's a good survival to get started on the genre, prefer having multiplayer of any sort.