Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
And lunches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

And lunches!

DoctorWhat posted:

And lunches.

Nah, they're gone now. I think the restaurant shut down during covid.

I'm not sure what they do now that they've finally started going back into studio to record, re:food.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Open Source Idiom posted:

Nah, they're gone now.

Unbelievably hosed up :gonk:

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

That's tragic, their lunches were mythically famous, like you'd gone to Milliways for dinner

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Just started Dalek. Takes place in Utah, 2012. Diana Goddard guessed poorly when asked if the next president would be Republican or Democrat. Her natural accent slips up when she when she pronounces anything with an R sound.

I often hear that British actors do American accents better than Americans doing British accents but I hear that they usually only do a specific US dialect. Maybe that’s why Daniel Craig’s Benoit Blanc is so good?

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Oh, the way people talked about it before I had just assumed somebody at BF was a real dab hand at cooking and just served up a big old lunchtime for everyone when noon rolled around. I did think that would have been an awful lot of work for someone who also had to have, I dunno, direct or run the soundboard or whatever, but it still sounded lovely.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Detective No. 27 posted:

Just started Dalek. Takes place in Utah, 2012. Diana Goddard guessed poorly when asked if the next president would be Republican or Democrat. Her natural accent slips up when she when she pronounces anything with an R sound.

I often hear that British actors do American accents better than Americans doing British accents but I hear that they usually only do a specific US dialect. Maybe that’s why Daniel Craig’s Benoit Blanc is so good?

I remember there was a game where this woman was doing a pretty okay american accent but then just said schedule the English way lol.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Detective No. 27 posted:

I often hear that British actors do American accents better than Americans doing British accents

I will put all of Spinal Tap up against any British actor who thinks 'talkin American' means adding an "R" to the end of any word ending in a vowel. Enraging

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
I'm glad that Eccleston stuck to his guns. Poor working conditions are NOT okay, and you do NOT have to forgive your boss for them. That being said, it really looks like RTD has changed tack and the new production is much kinder to its staff.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

I remember there being all kinds of other stuff too - Chris' dad was terminally ill, Billie Piper was going through her divorce and he was her ad hoc shoulder to cry on, and then he was having problems with eating disorders and weight loss. Without even the behind the scenes problems he was having a miserable time of it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Open Source Idiom posted:

Nah, they're gone now. I think the restaurant shut down during covid.

I'm not sure what they do now that they've finally started going back into studio to record, re:food.

Their sound engineer made most of the lunches

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Davros1 posted:

Their sound engineer made most of the lunches

Ah yeah, I misremembered. That said, they are no more.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C0y_BABs-9o/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Ncuti says David filmed that scene first and got to pick what part of the clothes he wanted to wear

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Resdfru posted:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C0y_BABs-9o/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Ncuti says David filmed that scene first and got to pick what part of the clothes he wanted to wear

Hrrm! Not good!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Considering that UNIT rooftop set is actually outside in Cardiff, that’s remarkably selfish of Tennant.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Considering that UNIT rooftop set is actually outside in Cardiff, that’s remarkably selfish of Tennant.

Not that this alleviates most of the issues but from the other making ofs they were filming during the 2022 heatwave. So hopefully at least it wasn't too cold for Gatwa. But still!

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Gatwa is Scottish anything above fifteen degrees is shorts and t-shirt weather.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

keep punching joe posted:

Gatwa is Scottish anything above fifteen degrees is shorts and t-shirt weather.

Solid point but so is David. Conclusion: they should each have worn one leg of the trousers.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They should've both ended up with bits of 13s outfit as well.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Actually, along those lines, they could've had Gatwa end up in 13's outfit. It'd emphasise that 14 was a bit of a special nonlinear side jaunt.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

lines posted:

Hrrm! Not good!

lmfao

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Actually, along those lines, they could've had Gatwa end up in 13's outfit. It'd emphasise that 14 was a bit of a special nonlinear side jaunt.

Yeah. Like if you do take issue with it, you should point fingers at RTD and not Tennant.
RTD wrote that the Doctor splits in 2, and so does their clothes.

He could have 100% chosen to have 15 come out in their own costume, just like 13 regenerated into 14 with a full wardrobe change.

Felt all in good fun, and was a good tone setter for 15 regardless.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

I have some specific info that the Big Finish catering these days is just bunch of Pret A Manger sandwich platters, alas.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Big Finish has sandwiches, but not the ones you were expecting.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

That's so hosed up.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Back to Ecclestone a second but isn't part of his issue with RTD et al is also that they essentially made up that he was leaving because he was 'fatigued'. It wasn't just the work environment itself, but how they also handled everything after. He even mentions that while he met with Moffat, he was still sore from the slander they'd thrown his way. Fair play to him for being principled enough to stick to his guns AND not have it sour him on playing something he seems to enjoy.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Eccleston was essentially blacklisted from working in UK TV after leaving the show.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
If I remember rightly he'd agreed with them he'd go quietly and give some general "time to move on" statement when needed but the beeb put out a statement, without telling him, that was total bullshit and he was understandably angry.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Matinee posted:

I have some specific info that the Big Finish catering these days is just bunch of Pret A Manger sandwich platters, alas.
"I'm so sorry."

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Fil5000 posted:

If I remember rightly he'd agreed with them he'd go quietly and give some general "time to move on" statement when needed but the beeb put out a statement, without telling him, that was total bullshit and he was understandably angry.

Which he was understandably pissed about, since at the time he got a ton of hate mail from fans upset that he 'wasted one of the limited regenerations on one season'.

That and they announced he was out after the second episode aired, so tons of people thought he killed the show because no one would watch and get vested in an actor they knew was already gone.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 14, 2023

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Re: The Rani

I kind of like the idea that all of the off world Time Lords survived the poo poo The Master got up to last season because:

1. They had sense enough to, after surviving the Time War due to Day of the Doctor, take the very first opportunity they had to book it. (And you could use the crack they gave 11 a new cycle with as that opportunity).

2. They had the mindset necessary to not want to be on Gallifrey by default, unlike other Time Lords who might have the sense to leave, but not the spine.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Honestly, I think the way to do it without just doing a full reset would be to say that a lot of the people on Gallifrey made it to TARDISes before it was destroyed. Turn the Time Lords into a species distributed through all of time and space.

But yeah, unlike the Time War, there's no reason for offworld Time Lords to have gotten caught up in what the Master did, so there are probably still some out there regardless of what approach they take.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 14, 2023

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Time Lords as a concept wear out their welcome periodically, because the two ways to write them are as incompetent, cruel traditionalists or as incredibly powerful god-like beings. I hope Davies only brings them back piecemeal, if that.

The Master is definitely going to be around next season though, lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Which he was understandably pissed about, since at the time he got a ton of hate mail from fans upset that he 'wasted one of the limited regenerations on one season'.

That and they announced he was out after the second episode aired, so tons of people thought he killed the show because no one would watch and get vested in an actor they knew was already gone.

I can't imagine them really believing regenerations were permanently limited and once they hit the magic number the show must cease forever. Very sorry but someone once mentioned a limit so we just can't ever make another.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

Time Lords as a concept wear out their welcome periodically, because the two ways to write them are as incompetent, cruel traditionalists or as incredibly powerful god-like beings. I hope Davies only brings them back piecemeal, if that.

11 on Trenzalore is another good way to write them. "Settled down and using their wisdom to help a particular people for generations."

The "villain" way to write that, of course, is an advisor whose entire bloodline always fills that role, but the entire bloodline is just that one Time Lord.

In terms of "God-like beings" I always wondered why the series didn't go the route of Marvel's Elders. "I have a particular fixation, and I live forever. I think I'll spend the next eternity indulging that fixation." That in-and-of itself provides a ton of different writing potential.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Khanstant posted:

I can't imagine them really believing regenerations were permanently limited and once they hit the magic number the show must cease forever. Very sorry but someone once mentioned a limit so we just can't ever make another.

They absolutely did.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Davros1 posted:

They absolutely did.

That's why it was so funny that when someone asked Moffat what they'd do when they ran out he said "we'll make something up".

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Fil5000 posted:

That's why it was so funny that when someone asked Moffat what they'd do when they ran out he said "we'll make something up".

Well, he did! And it made sense, which is all I ask for.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

Well, he did! And it made sense, which is all I ask for.

It was just such a daft question to ask a writer. He was neither going to say "we'll have to end the show" nor explain exactly what would have to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

I suspect that Moffat was happy to shuffle things around so that he'd be the one to resolve the regeneration limit question. If he wasn't in charge, then someone might do something weird like say the Doctor was a secret super special Time Lord who could regenerate as many times as they needed and was the source of all Time Lord regeneration and all the Morbius Doctors counted.