Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Why are tech people so dumb and weird!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
They think they can personally profit from the initial roll out. They don't give a poo poo about the greater societal implications

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Line Feed posted:

Why are tech people so dumb and weird!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7jH-5YQLcE

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

e/acc is basically “let’s make up a philosophy so that we can feel better about doing what we were going to do anyway”

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Isn’t “accelerationism” usually used to refer to the philosophy that we should let everything go to shot as fast as possible, so that after the world has burned down we can build a shining utopia from the ashes?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, but tech bros are loving morons

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

blastron posted:

Isn’t “accelerationism” usually used to refer to the philosophy that we should let everything go to shot as fast as possible, so that after the world has burned down we can build a shining utopia from the ashes?

yeah. there's a communist accelerationism ("let's let capitalists do whatever they want and then ride the inevitable backlash") and there's a fascist acceleratism ("let's just start killing people so that we can do even more genocide when there's no norms left"). i'm not really into any version of it, adding AI to the mix doesn't help

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I'm an accelerationist in the "once all the humans are dead maybe some other species can take a better shot at things" sense

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
i'm an accelerationist in the sense that I want to spin the earth faster using enormous space based electromagnets

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
e/acc

erotic accountancy

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I'm an accelerationist because of gravity

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I can’t get over “decel” as a pejorative

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Decelpunk

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'm an accelerationist because I'm staking the Mach 5

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dieselpuncj

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

blastron posted:

I can’t get over “decel” as a pejorative

A German incel?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

tokin opposition posted:

A German incel?

Sounds like a looming problem tbh

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Kit Walker posted:

I'm an accelerationist in the "once all the humans are dead maybe some other species can take a better shot at things" sense

Not if we turn all the oceans into hot acid before we go. Good luck dealing with that, cockroach people!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
don't forget the microplastics!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

don't forget the microplastics!

How can I, they're literally on my mind :haw:

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
The e/acc thing sounds like a joke, but I can't tell any more

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Actuary X posted:

Nerds are discussing if bow ties or suspenders are the coolest and you're laughing??

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Actuary X posted:

What starts as irony quickly becomes serious because online idiots don't know the difference

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
The e/acc sounds like theoretically it could be good, taking a bunch of drugs and taking absolute bullshitting with random people about philosophy and the future and what.

But yeah there's no way it's not some mix of boring and annoying, filled entirely with a whole bunch of self serious idiots.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

dr_rat posted:

The e/acc sounds like theoretically it could be good, taking a bunch of drugs and taking absolute bullshitting with random people about philosophy and the future and what.

Sure, but it's not when you're dealing with the worst nerds imaginable

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Milo and POTUS posted:

Sure, but it's not when you're dealing with the worst nerds imaginable

The worst nerds imaginable ruin everything. :(

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Nothus posted:

What starts as irony quickly becomes serious because online idiots don't know the difference

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/1033506727352782849?t=bK0DqgaUsvvq4rEjzu9wSA&s=19

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nothus posted:

and literal billions of dollars in funding are being directed by these people every year

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
at its base accelerationism is trying to find joy in what is already happening all around you that you are helpless to stop. but well, people are dumb as poo poo. hi, i'm people.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

What seems interesting there is that there's an internal conflict amongst the worst nerds imaginable. On one side you have the dominant AI culture, a self-elected priesthood who intend to form a covenant with the imminent computer god, and on the other side are those guys, an anarchic, ecstatic doomsday cult.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Subjunctive posted:

and literal billions of dollars in funding are being directed by these people every year

hundreds of billions of dollars

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Unless posted:

hundreds of billions of dollars

so far!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/mosquitocapital/status/1734983717607854233

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Diabetes syringes are what I call otter pops and I'll be damned if I'm not freezing them

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Coworker Banned From Madison Square Garden Due to Facial Recognition…but it isn’t him (NY) (self.legaladvice)

quote:

I went to a hockey game last week with one of my coworkers at MSG in New York last week, and he was stopped and banned entry to the arena after the facial recognition scanner identified him as someone “that had thrown things into the ice during a game” some weeks back. Except, he was in Europe at the time, and he’s an older Asian male that would never do something like this.

When he pressed them and assured it was not him, they simply stated that they have his face identified and he would not be allowed entry.

This Minority Report-level banning is scary enough, but does he have any recourse against MSG for something as egregious as this?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

loving lol

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
jesus

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Sounds like a win win to me. He gets to sure for racism and the company gets more funding to correct the algorithms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
"No, sir, the machine says you all look alike"