Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

DC Murderverse posted:

I saw someone on Twitter say they read the script for this and it is supposedly about the girl coming on to the teacher, being turned down, and then making up a fake rape accusation about him

Somewhere David Mamet is smiling

The spoilered summary is incredibly obvious from the trailer, it's one of those "sum up the movie in two minutes" trailers and it makes the card at the end incredibly insincere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Oh my god. Great.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
yeah that sounds like a movie martin freeman would star in

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
i think Civil War looks cool because its a movie that treats america like most movies treat africa or whatever. I just wish the "western states alliance" or whatever was named the People's Front for the Liberation of the Free People of America" or some other insane acronym fighting against the Free People's Army

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

civil war trailer looks pretty poo poo

i liked deus ex and i really like annihilation. devs was decent. men wasn't as bad as the entire internet makes it out to be but it was still bad.

bummer

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Men has a great man preg birthing scene and that’s kinda it’s best attribute

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

it was creepy but i didn't get it. the consensus is the movie is just a long way to say "men bad huh?" but i don't understand what the ending was supposed to imply metaphorically

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Men bad yeah. That’s kind of the joke. Idk. I laughed but “men bad” schtick is super annoying these days so I had little desire to rewatch

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

DC Murderverse posted:

I saw someone on Twitter say they read the script for this and it is supposedly about the girl coming on to the teacher, being turned down, and then making up a fake rape accusation about him

Ortega could knock a role like that out of the park, I’m interested in this now

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

There was a modern US civil war movie a few years ago like nobody saw called Bushwick which was a "the entire movie is one shot" kind of film and was about Texas seceding and getting all the Southern states in on it and they invade NYC. It kind of sucked but Dave Bautista was decent in it as usual. This seems like a bigger budget version of that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Peccadillo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KaX0F8GojI

There was an Australian YA adaptation about a bunch of hot teens defending Australia from some kind of South East Asian menace. Indonesia? Pretty bad

Good title though

That was an adaptation of a locally super successful set of YA novels from back in the 90s.

Dunno about in the movie but in the books they never said the name of the invaders, they just call them the enemy.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Tim Whatley posted:

There was a modern US civil war movie a few years ago like nobody saw called Bushwick which was a "the entire movie is one shot" kind of film and was about Texas seceding and getting all the Southern states in on it and they invade NYC. It kind of sucked but Dave Bautista was decent in it as usual. This seems like a bigger budget version of that.
The transitions where they cheat at the one shot gimmick were so obvious that it was kinda comical, but I did find it basically entertaining.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MikeJF posted:

That was an adaptation of a locally super successful set of YA novels from back in the 90s.

Dunno about in the movie but in the books they never said the name of the invaders, they just call them the enemy.

IIRC there are one or two hints early on, but it gets pretty obvious in the later books.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Clipperton posted:

Ortega could knock a role like that out of the park, I’m interested in this now

This is kinda how I feel about Civil War too, except in both cases I don't think my disgust with the subject matter overcomes my desire to see the output. Garland has made and hopefully will continue to make great movies, likewise Ortega and great performances. I don't have to indulge this crap, specifically.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

DC Murderverse posted:

Yeah, it's a Blacklist script so it's available online. It's the kind of movie where one character says a trenchant literary quote midway through a conversation instead of articulating their own feelings and the second character says approvingly, "Henry Miller. You know your stuff." and this happens maybe a dozen times.

Ortega's underage character writes a sexy story that's clearly about her and Freeman. Freeman asks her to submit something else and tells her it's inappropriate. She hands the story over to the principal and then claims that statutory rape occurred. It's implied she does this in part because her real life just isn't exciting or unique enough to make for good fiction. It ends up in court and Freeman loses.

Freeman's fellow grownups - including his wife and his best friend, who is in fact exchanging sexts with one of his underage students - spend most of the film berating him for being repressed and hypocritical...because deep down, wasn't he actually attracted to her and refusing to admit it?

grobbo fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Dec 14, 2023

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

grobbo posted:

Yeah, it's a Blacklist script so it's available online. It's the kind of movie where one character says a trenchant but random literary quote and the second character says approvingly, "Henry Miller. You know your stuff." and this happens maybe a dozen times.

Ortega's underage character writes a sexy story that's clearly about her and Freeman. Freeman asks her to submit something else and tells her it's inappropriate. She hands the story over to the principal and then states that statutory assault occurred. It's implied she does this in part because her real life just isn't exciting or unique enough to make for good fiction. It ends up in court and Freeman loses.

Freeman's fellow grownups - including his wife and his best friend, who is in fact exchanging sexts with one of his underage students - spend most of the film berating him for being repressed and hypocritical...because deep down, wasn't he actually attracted to her and refusing to admit it?

No thank you to all of that.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Brocktoon posted:

No thank you to all of that.

Yeah, hell no. The only thing I'm interested in is the conservative reaction to it to see who's telling on themselves.

The mention of the Blacklist got me to look up some of the movies on the 2023 list. There's a lot of generic crap on there that are safe bets to get made eventually. Some of my "that sounds cool" ones are.Toxoplasmosis, a movie where a guy befriends a cat who might be an alien ambassador; Bad Boy, about a rescue dog who thinks their new owner might be a serial killer; Return to Sender, where a woman gets mysterious packages that get increasingly weird and dangerous; and one that sounds like a Boots Riley movie called If I Had Your Face about a woman who notices her black friend begins changing into a white woman when she starts dating a new man, but no one else finds it alarming - and some dead white women are found who used to be Asian before they dated the same guy. There's also The Crowd, about a malevolent and mysterious crowd, which sounds a lot like the Ray Bradbury story of the same name so it's probably an adaptation.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBG3iyr5N70

Seems fine?

Are 2 and 3 decent? I think I probably saw 2 when it came out but have absolutely no recollection of it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Sirotan posted:

Seems fine?

Are 2 and 3 decent? I think I probably saw 2 when it came out but have absolutely no recollection of it.

2 is directed by Tony Scott and is definitely decent, even good at times. 3 is absolutely terrible.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Where's the Ax Elf?

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

thrawn527 posted:

2 is directed by Tony Scott and is definitely decent, even good at times. 3 is absolutely terrible.

I remember liking 2 better than 1. However, it's been over 30 years since I saw either of them, so who knows what I'd think of them today. Until this trailer came out, I probably hadn't thought about these movies in at least a decade. I think the theme music is more iconic at this point than the movies themselves. Especially given the history of Eddie Murphy's career.

Edit: Was just thinking that my attitude towards Eddie Murphy over the last 20 years has been to say to myself, "Oh... Eddie Murphy did a thing. That's nice." Whenever he did something vaguely interesting.

confused fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Dec 14, 2023

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

thrawn527 posted:

2 is directed by Tony Scott

Oh well poo poo, guess it is going onto my immediate watch list

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

confused posted:

I think the theme music is more iconic at this point than the movies themselves.

Seriously, about a month ago my 7 year old daughter and her friend started humming the theme song, and I was like, "Wait, what?! How on earth do you know that?" And they didn't know how, they just did. It's a thing, even now.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

How soon we forget Crazy Frog.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

thrawn527 posted:

Seriously, about a month ago my 7 year old daughter and her friend started humming the theme song, and I was like, "Wait, what?! How on earth do you know that?" And they didn't know how, they just did. It's a thing, even now.

I had a compilation CD when I was younger that was just instrumental songs from TV and movies and only knew the tune as "Axel F" for a long time without knowing (or more accurately, forgetting) what it was from.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Sirotan posted:

Seems fine?

Maybe it'll be good? They got Judge Reinhold and John Ashton back.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Sirotan posted:

Seems fine?

FILM TITLE

oh god dunc thread i am unable to unsee this everywhere now

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Judge Rheinhold threatened to kill my boss 20 years ago.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I like Beverly Hills Cop 3, if only for the gun with a built in microwave oven.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

MikeJF posted:

Yeah they do the same in the movie so much so that there's the exchange "any idea whose army it is" "doesn't matter they're here now and we just gotta deal with it"

The trailer also has a pretty explicit depiction of Nguyen Ngoc Loan shooting that guy in the head, but he was on our team

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Ryan Reynolds and his big hairy thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgL9eHkony4

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is it explicitly a semi adaptation of Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, or just a ripoff.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Sirotan posted:

Seems fine?

Here's the real trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-NsT1WUW4o

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

teagone posted:

I like Beverly Hills Cop 3, if only for the gun with a built in microwave oven.

The finale taking place at an amusement park was novel.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Sirotan posted:

Seems fine?

Okay seems fun I'm in.

Annoying that the audio sync is off a couple frames on this though I hate that.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
lolin at the old people in the axel f trailer comments just being like
CHILLS...
I NEVER DREAMED IN MY LIFE...THAT I WOULD SEE "AXEL FOLEY" RETURN

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Well to be fair the old people lolin at the young people caring about Five Nights At Freddy's is the same thing. I think let people like what they want.

I've been baffled my entire life at people genuinely caring about Power Rangers or Pokemon but no sense laughing about it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mordiceius posted:

I mean, the last "close" presidential election in California was in 2004 - aka two decades ago. It has only been more split since there.

<snip>

The gap is widening in California while it narrows in Texas.

Interesting numbers, which along with the "unconstitutional third term" and the hamfisted "arrive at the White House on July 4th" crap suggest the plot of Civil War might centre on Texas flipping blue and a Trump-analogue successfully rigging the electoral college vote to claim the presidency.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puY9AthRUCQ

This looks like it'll be wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gettin PG meets Freaked from that.

Naturally I’m in.