Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Wasn't Mearls the guy who definitely said "he is the moon"?

no, that was a joke about Monte Cook taking the 3.x skill check rules to their logical conclusion that if you rolled a high enough Bluff you could convince someone that you were the moon.

_______

anyway, the thing about Mearls in connection with Iron Heroes is that he recycles a lot of his ideas: since IH did not have healing spells, the idea to grant people healing was Reserve Points - you had a number of Reserve Points equal to your total HP, and whenever you had some time to rest (insofar as "Short Rest" was not a technical term in IH), you could convert Reserve Points into HP. Then, a "Long Rest" would restore both regular HP and Reserve Points.

the concept of Reserve Points itself came from 3.5's Unearthed Arcana [page 119], published in Feb 2004, with Iron Heroes coming out over a year later. To be clear, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with taking that idea and putting it into your other game - recombining extant design concepts is part of game design, but by the time we get to D&D 5e, where Reserve Points have been converted into Hit Dice healing, the latter is worse. It's clunkier and it's imprecise and the only reason to do it that way is because it creates this feeling of "oh! I'm rolling dice!", so Mearls's contribution to the design was a net negative (IMO)

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Iron Heroes absolutely sucks rear end, by the way. Like it's exactly what you'd expect from "3.5E except only Fighter variants," complete with a Defender-analogue that has literally no way to compel or even devil's choice enemies into attacking them.

not exactly. The Armiger does have abilities that can compel enemies into attacking them: Combat Magnet literally lets the Armiger force an enemy's melee attack against an adjacent friendly to be resolved against the Armiger instead.

The Armiger's problem is that the tokens it needs to activate its abilities are earned by having their armor absorb damage, but the Armiger starts a fight at zero tokens, so there's no way for them to earn the tokens if they're not being attacked. Moreover, while absorbing 10 damage from DR earns one token, a complete miss does nothing, so extra Defense (IH distinguishes between damage reduction and attack rolls versus Defense/AC) actually harms the Armiger.

when I ran a game of this so many years ago, I had to implement a houserule that missing the Armiger granted a single token, straight up, and that they began a fight with already one token in the tank (something that all IH classes benefit from, really)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Kestral posted:

I mean, yeah, they're completely right. Look at the people who are getting fawned over by D&D twitter right now. "No one, and I mean no one, designs, narrates, and creates the way Dan Dillon does. An absolute legend in the industry and beyond" - Trys, I love you, but really? Dan Dillon is an an incomparable industry legend? gently caress.

Actual Industry Legend and almost impossibly good person Meguey Baker could drop dead of her breast cancer in the next 18 months, and maybe a thousand people would know, and few hundred would feel anything other than "huh. rip." Greg Stafford's passing went unremarked outside of incredibly niche circles despite designing what may be the greatest RPG ever written. Jenna Moran lives a life that can only be described as cursed by the gods, and was robbed, abandoned, and stranded in China, and nobody outside of a small discord cares the slightest bit. And jesus, the list just goes on!

Hasbro can fire the entire staff of WotC and replace them with anyone they want from the frothing, desperate fanbase who would do anything to work at The D&D Place. None of them matter. None of them are significant to the art form. And that's an incredible loving shame, because D&D deserves to have actual legendary designers.

:smith:

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

no, that was a joke about Monte Cook taking the 3.x skill check rules to their logical conclusion that if you rolled a high enough Bluff you could convince someone that you were the moon.

_______

anyway, the thing about Mearls in connection with Iron Heroes is that he recycles a lot of his ideas: since IH did not have healing spells, the idea to grant people healing was Reserve Points - you had a number of Reserve Points equal to your total HP, and whenever you had some time to rest (insofar as "Short Rest" was not a technical term in IH), you could convert Reserve Points into HP. Then, a "Long Rest" would restore both regular HP and Reserve Points.

the concept of Reserve Points itself came from 3.5's Unearthed Arcana [page 119], published in Feb 2004, with Iron Heroes coming out over a year later. To be clear, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with taking that idea and putting it into your other game - recombining extant design concepts is part of game design, but by the time we get to D&D 5e, where Reserve Points have been converted into Hit Dice healing, the latter is worse. It's clunkier and it's imprecise and the only reason to do it that way is because it creates this feeling of "oh! I'm rolling dice!", so Mearls's contribution to the design was a net negative (IMO)

Calling them "Hit Dice" was such a weird thing to make it to print. A term that means nothing and only has value as a reference to old-school D&D, and both the original meaning of the term and the term outside of context have nothing to do with their 5E mechanic.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

admanb posted:

Calling them "Hit Dice" was such a weird thing to make it to print. A term that means nothing and only has value as a reference to old-school D&D, and both the original meaning of the term and the term outside of context have nothing to do with their 5E mechanic.

"See? We are taking some of 4e's best ideas! We swear!"

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

gradenko_2000 posted:

Aid Another for +2. It's like your mind is not stuck eternally in grogs.txt hell

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

gradenko_2000 posted:

_______

not exactly. The Armiger does have abilities that can compel enemies into attacking them: Combat Magnet literally lets the Armiger force an enemy's melee attack against an adjacent friendly to be resolved against the Armiger instead.

The Armiger's problem is that the tokens it needs to activate its abilities are earned by having their armor absorb damage, but the Armiger starts a fight at zero tokens, so there's no way for them to earn the tokens if they're not being attacked. Moreover, while absorbing 10 damage from DR earns one token, a complete miss does nothing, so extra Defense (IH distinguishes between damage reduction and attack rolls versus Defense/AC) actually harms the Armiger.

when I ran a game of this so many years ago, I had to implement a houserule that missing the Armiger granted a single token, straight up, and that they began a fight with already one token in the tank (something that all IH classes benefit from, really)

Giving everybody one token at the start fixes most of the problems, and giving the Armiger a token every other miss fixes some more.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
https://twitter.com/CHofferCBus/status/1734947730491932929

one lay off that caught me was Bree Heiss

you gotta have some art direction, and also I thought her work was fine?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
my read on the situation is that the higher ups don't really know, understand, or care what people do in their jobs. they just looked at like the top half of salaries or whatever and fired all of those people. if those positions need to be filled, they can consolidate the work with two or three other jobs and pay the new hire less than any of them. that's just how these things work

https://fxtwitter.com/LarAtLarian/status/1735131917543002479

based on this they fired nearly everyone who worked on baldur's gate 3 from the wotc side, which isn't something you do if you want to reward good performance, but is something you'd do if all the bg3 people were more senior with better salaries and could get put on an important project because of it

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Mister Olympus posted:

my read on the situation is that the higher ups don't really know, understand, or care what people do in their jobs. they just looked at like the top half of salaries or whatever and fired all of those people. if those positions need to be filled, they can consolidate the work with two or three other jobs and pay the new hire less than any of them. that's just how these things work

https://fxtwitter.com/LarAtLarian/status/1735131917543002479

based on this they fired nearly everyone who worked on baldur's gate 3 from the wotc side, which isn't something you do if you want to reward good performance, but is something you'd do if all the bg3 people were more senior with better salaries and could get put on an important project because of it

I've found for the executive class to function and justify itself as a wealth black hole entity, it needs to believe workers below the C-Suite are easily disposable cogs that can be replaced by someone cheaper.

And are then bewildered when profits go down.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Dec 14, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Firing Mike Mearls seems to be basically doing the right thing entirely by accident.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Looks like Rob Sather's position as "art manager" was straight up eliminated. I guess 6e is goimg to use AI generated slop eh

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Firing Mike Mearls seems to be basically doing the right thing entirely by accident.

I meant yeah, if you hack half a tree down, you're bound to get some dead limbs just by accident.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Mister Olympus posted:

That's also SOP in the video games industry. Thanks for working months and months of crunch time to finish the game and get it out the door, your reward is a pink slip (because the game is done, we don't need you any more).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

bewilderment posted:

The super short version is that she had a publishing deal with Eos Press based in China including stuff like Nobilis 3e and Chuubo's. There were plans for Nobilis TTRPG maid cafes! Nobilis 3e got released (but had to massively re-do the art since one highly-used artist plagiarised and traced a lot), but Eos just plain took most of the money and ran with regards to the Chuubo's kickstarter and went dark as a company.
Didn't Moran also get hosed over on Nobilis 2e when Guardians of Order shuttered? The rumour was that the owner (can't remember his name off the top of my head) held onto the unsold copies and quietly sold them off a few at a time at premium prices.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Having survived layoffs once before, my guess is that someone cheaper will serve in the role of art direction without being paid for the position.

"Here's 10k more to do your boss's job. Please don't leave."

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Why are we paying for new art when we own like fifty years of it?

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
Didn't Mearls pretty much sabotage/ratfuck 4e, or at least made sure that the transition to 5e would learn as little as possible from its improvements?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Yes. 4e Transitioned to Essentials when he took over which was when martials got incredibly simplified and Wizards got at least one new subclass per book.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Markovnikov posted:

Didn't Mearls pretty much sabotage/ratfuck 4e, or at least made sure that the transition to 5e would learn as little as possible from its improvements?

Unless somebody writes a big steamy tell-all it's impossible to say what the internal politics going on during that period were like. So many hosed up things were happening at the time (Atari squatting on the D&D video game rights and forcing WotC to sue them, which is why we never got a 4E video game, the murder/suicide that shuttered development of the digital tools they were working on, chain bookstores closing around the nation and cutting off that avenue of shelf-space, etc) that it's kind of hard to lay things at the feet of one guy.

From the outside looking in, the D&D division went through several years of layoffs following 4E's release which saw more and more people gone except for Mearls who remained, the quality of the material being published had some notable declines (the adventures being put out around that time were weirdly pretty good, but all the other stuff was mediocre-to-bad), and Mearls began publicly courting the angry edition warrior demographic, parroting their jokes and reaching out to guys like RPGpundit to be "consultants." Is this evidence of some sort of malicious masterplan to bury his predecessors' work under his own? It's not like this never happens (television production is/was apparently pretty infamous for the new boss coming in and cancelling all the old boss' projects) but nobody has ever come out and stated as much.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I certainly don't think he deliberately sabotaged it to drive down sales, but he immediately made it very clear that he doesn't understand why anybody liked 4th edition (which was echoed by at least one other person on the design team), he doesn't care for its innovations, and he doesn't know how to design for it (Heroes of Shadow wasn't great). His big idea for 4th edition was to make it more like 3rd edition, with simpler martial classes and making wizards more like they were in previous editions.

He went way too far in marketing the 5th edition as a return to Good Ol' D&D, though mechanically it was very much a return to 3e. That seems to be his personal preference: 3rd edition rules with a lot of nostalgia for AD&D. And he tied himself into knots trying to rationalize his preferences as both what most of the fandom wanted, and as the most flexible version of D&D for new players to get into and do different things with.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 14, 2023

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The thing that often seems to get forgotten about 5E's development days was just how much was promised that never materialized. There was supposed to be an entire enhanced tactical combat module to appeal to 4E fans which got trotted out for a few articles and then never mentioned again. All sorts of stuff about 5E was supposed to have modules and levers you could adjust to make things more like this or that edition, focus more on exploration rather than combat, etc. It wasn't so much directly pitched as a "return to traditional D&D values" though there was a lot of that you could see between the lines with polls about "does this feel like D&D to you?"

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I feel like nearly everything 5e promised already existed in 4e to some degree.

When Monte Cook presents: passive perception dropped, I honestly thought they were loving with us.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Yeah, like even if the only thing you cared about was snidely and bitterly rejecting 4e's design principles, Mearls had already done that in Essentials. (Not that there wasn't anything good about Essentials.)

Kai Tave posted:

The thing that often seems to get forgotten about 5E's development days was just how much was promised that never materialized. There was supposed to be an entire enhanced tactical combat module to appeal to 4E fans which got trotted out for a few articles and then never mentioned again. All sorts of stuff about 5E was supposed to have modules and levers you could adjust to make things more like this or that edition, focus more on exploration rather than combat, etc. It wasn't so much directly pitched as a "return to traditional D&D values" though there was a lot of that you could see between the lines with polls about "does this feel like D&D to you?"
Years ago I wanted to go through all of Mearls' Next articles and catalogue all that stuff that, as you said, never materialized, as well as some of the wild ideas he just kind of tossed out there. At one point, part of that Tactical Combat Module was going to be bringing back facing rules from AD&D. It elicited a WTF reaction from forums and was never mentioned again.

But the subject matter just isn't that interesting, and finding all those articles via Wayback Machine would be a pain in the rear end, so gently caress it.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
and ANOTHER THING what about the WARLORD

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
As somebody who loved 4e, I actually liked Essentials. A bit weird when kixed in with the full 4e classes, but fine if playing with other essentials. Then again I'm no game designer and my IRL games never ran for too long so feel free to tell me how kuch they sucked.

Kai Tave posted:

(Atari squatting on the D&D video game rights and forcing WotC to sue them, which is why we never got a 4E video game,

Still very much mad that we never got that 4e game.

Kai Tave posted:

the murder/suicide that shuttered development of the digital tools they were working on

The gently caress

I know they had been promising a Virtual Tabletop since 3e. 4e had the character builder, which was pretty good with the "after market" mods.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Markovnikov posted:

Still very much mad that we never got that 4e game.

there’s that Neverwinter MMO!

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Markovnikov posted:

As somebody who loved 4e, I actually liked Essentials. A bit weird when kixed in with the full 4e classes, but fine if playing with other essentials. Then again I'm no game designer and my IRL games never ran for too long so feel free to tell me how kuch they sucked.

There was definitely some cool stuff in Essentials. The problem was just how many things were D&D callbacks that ignored all of 4e's good base principles. Every attack needs to involve an attack roll because spells need to work the same as everything else, but Magic Missile needs to be a special little boy that always hits even though the old version was fine and at-will automatic damage is weird in this system. Healing surges being a limit to the amount of meaningful healing is a key part of the system, but healing potions need to be special so now they circumvent the whole system and make it worse. And the whole overdiscussed "Essentials fighters are generic auto-attack builds, Essentials wizards are just base wizards with different default spells" thing where it's technically balanced but goes against all of 4e's big fundamental changes, and it doesn't even reduce the pointless complexity of 4e. It's just an annoying series of books.

quote:

The gently caress

I know they had been promising a Virtual Tabletop since 3e. 4e had the character builder, which was pretty good with the "after market" mods.

If it helps, if I remember correctly people online consistently get the timeline wrong and the project's scope was already being wound back behind the scenes when the murder/suicide happened. (I mostly remember that because I also consistently get the timeline wrong and assume the murder led to the project closing.)

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Markovnikov posted:

Hell, I remember one of my 3e books having a character builder on a cd-rom in the back of the book.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010

Lurks With Wolves posted:

If it helps, if I remember correctly people online consistently get the timeline wrong and the project's scope was already being wound back behind the scenes when the murder/suicide happened. (I mostly remember that because I also consistently get the timeline wrong and assume the murder led to the project closing.)

Yeah I wasn't doubting the timeline, just very surprised at the murder/suicide thing, and trying to remember all the failed digital WotC ventures.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

As I remember this is true, but equally the murder-suicide was not an utterly out of the blue thing but was the product of a horrid downward spiral and it feels like previous coils on that spiral could perhaps have affected project management somewhat.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Was Schuh in charge of licensing at the start of the year? If so that could be a head rolling for the OGL fuckup.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Markovnikov posted:

As somebody who loved 4e, I actually liked Essentials. A bit weird when kixed in with the full 4e classes, but fine if playing with other essentials.
Yeah, my best friend was totally new to D&D and found a Slayer much easier to play than a Cleric. (It didn't help that he was getting terrible advice on playing a Cleric from the worst player/human being in that group, but that's an eventual story for the bad gaming experiences thread.)

The problem was, like you said, it was rough around the edges--the Thief was basically a solved class and there were a lot of Essentials/4th Edition Basic Set interactions that worked too well or not at all. I really liked the Hexblade, but it didn't work right in the character builder because it wasn't built for "you conjure an item that clones the stats of another item."

The single best innovation I can think of was letting people use one of their at-wills in place of a basic attack. In one of the Sane Timelines, that was eventually incorporated into 5th edition.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Hexblade was interesting but it wasn't very mechanically powerful compared to baseline warlock unless you were doing radiant damage cheese in which case yeah buddy get out of the way.

The stuff in Heroes of the Feywild and Elemental Chaos was okay because it seemed to move away from the "only at wills with an encounter booster" design except for the Elemental Sorcerer which actually did that whole thing well.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Healing surges being a limit to the amount of meaningful healing is a key part of the system, but healing potions need to be special so now they circumvent the whole system and make it worse.

Didn't Cure Wounds function without burning surges from the start? I thought the idea was that some healing, specifically Divine healing, would be special and not bound by surges.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

PeterWeller posted:

Didn't Cure Wounds function without burning surges from the start? I thought the idea was that some healing, specifically Divine healing, would be special and not bound by surges.
In the first books, only Daily powers could heal without surges. Cure Wounds was Daily.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

PeterWeller posted:

You are correct that Cure Light Wounds would heal an amount equivalent to the character's surge value without burning a surge, but CLW in 4e was a Daily power.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Kurieg posted:

Hexblade was interesting but it wasn't very mechanically powerful compared to baseline warlock unless you were doing radiant damage cheese in which case yeah buddy get out of the way.
One of the issues with running 4e was dividing classes into Good and Not So Good and thus rationing who could buy Frostcheese and gatekeeping who's allowed to join the Radiant Mafia.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

PeterWeller posted:

Like everyone else said, it did but it was a daily. Other forms of non-surge healing from powers were similarly rare and usually in smaller chunks. Healing potions being surgeless circumvents the whole system and means you can convert gold into health and it just takes an elegant system and makes it much more janky.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

One of the issues with running 4e was dividing classes into Good and Not So Good and thus rationing who could buy Frostcheese and gatekeeping who's allowed to join the Radiant Mafia.

The star pact hexblade at will dealt radiant damage and there was a Star pact warlock paragon path that gave all your radiant powers a crit range of 18-20 and let you add your con modifier to damage twice or something silly like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Looks like Rob Sather's position as "art manager" was straight up eliminated. I guess 6e is goimg to use AI generated slop eh

This seems unlikely after they recently put in anti AI art rules in, and got a bigger art budget. Heck the one book AI modified art from one artist had snuck in, it was all removed once it was pointed out.