Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Shahzad seems pretty good.

MaoistBanker posted:

Also, the thing that strikes me about this stadium is how DRAB everything is. Are all the seats grey? God forbid a venue have a little character.

Something I like about the WACA is how the Fremantle sea breeze can vary up the conditions, but I assume being a cauldron that won't happen much in this stadium if at all. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
600 coming up

Fanatic posted:

Shahzad seems pretty good.

Something I like about the WACA is how the Fremantle sea breeze can vary up the conditions, but I assume being a cauldron that won't happen much in this stadium if at all. :(

My friends here in the US just moved to Perth on a 5 year work contract and they are going on Saturday to learn and experience a day at the cricket

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Oh well, Warner is going to score a hundred in a session again.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

I wish this was England. At least when they capitulate it's funny rather than just sad.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8
DA Warner not beating any 'flat track bully' allegations today against this dribble when the bounce is true

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

You know how Micheal Clarke was never really taken to heart by the Australian public? I mean it was nice when he was winning or scoring runs, but was never really liked or loved the way an Australian Captain should be.

What is thread consensus about Warner?

Coz as I see it, he is/was adored by bogans, but by the latte sipping leftie pseudo intellectual crowd I pretensiously call myself a part of, he was never fully embraced.

Saying that, I hope the oval office doesn't score another run this summer.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
He’s an anti-racist ally because he punched Joe root for being Islamophobic

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Airstream Driver posted:

Davey is going to play and get a century and do his dumb Toyota celebration with the giant Toyota logo on the test jersey and it's going to be lame.

Eyyy

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8
You picked it, well done.

It's nice, now that the Ashes and the world cup is over, to be back wishing failure upon an Australian player. Normal service is resumed.

Shame Pakistan only bowl one good ball in 20 otherwise it might be different today

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Warner, for all his faults, he was the one who took the lead against Cricket Australia when they hired a union buster to try and break the players association. Always support labour etc.

As an player, his main drawback was his performance overseas, but you could say that about a lot of cricketers.

He is an absolute gronk and idiot, but compared to the match fixers, wife beaters and racists who have played cricket, he's alright.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
He's probably racist.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Pakistan catching never fails to disappoint. :laugh:

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
The thing about Warner is he has great career stats and I don’t think I can remember a single innings of his. I’m sure at least 1 of them must have been important and memorable

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
I remember the time he made a triple and Paine unneccesarily declared which pissed me off because I made a bet that he'd make a 400.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

garycoleisgod posted:

Warner, for all his faults, he was the one who took the lead against Cricket Australia when they hired a union buster to try and break the players association. Always support labour etc.

As an player, his main drawback was his performance overseas, but you could say that about a lot of cricketers.

He is an absolute gronk and idiot, but compared to the match fixers, wife beaters and racists who have played cricket, he's alright.

You know what this is a fair take. The farewell tour is on the nose in a big way still, but this is fair.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

garycoleisgod posted:

Brilliant

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Centusin posted:

The thing about Warner is he has great career stats and I don’t think I can remember a single innings of his. I’m sure at least 1 of them must have been important and memorable

I think that's because he's never really been the guy to knuckle down and dig the side out of a lovely situation with a match turning innings. He's always been the guy getting us into the lovely situation in the first place with his gotta play ya shots attitude even on the greenest pitches imaginable.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Warners best innings was probably his first test hundred, when he carried his bat for 123* in that match New Zealand won by 7 runs in Hobart, when Doug Bracewell went mad and won it.

But seeing as Australia lost, it isn't really remembered well.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Warner has been one of the most entertaining batsmen ever and that alone makes him good. I don't care about anything else tbh.

A- aussie cricketer overall.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

garycoleisgod posted:

Warners best innings was probably his first test hundred, when he carried his bat for 123* in that match New Zealand won by 7 runs in Hobart, when Doug Bracewell went mad and won it.

But seeing as Australia lost, it isn't really remembered well.

this is the first one that comes to mind for me

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

What has he averaged since he punched Joe Root?

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Wait he is a cheater.

I'm don't like Warner because he rarely made any runs when it mattered and coasted through his career beating up the Windies and Bangladesh.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Christ the tv is Langer and Brayshaw currently

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

a real chump posted:

Wait he is a cheater.

I'm don't like Warner because he rarely made any runs when it mattered and coasted through his career beating up the Windies and Bangladesh.

Average against the windies and bangers - 35 and 62

NZ - 67
Pakistan - 90
South Africa - 52

What you on about m8?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

How did Smithy finagle a gig commentating over in Aus??

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ratios and Tendency posted:

He's a kiwi. They're always comin over here and taken our jobs!

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

BlindSite posted:

He's a kiwi. They're always comin over here and taken our jobs!

and getting on medicare

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

gay picnic defence posted:

What has he averaged since he punched Joe Root?

I know it's not a serious question, but:

Before 19 matches average 39
Since 91 matches average 46
Overall 110 matches average 45

As of right now

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Sky didn’t give him a contract.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Mister Chief posted:

Sky didn’t give him a contract.

His quote about it was pretty funny though, something along the lines of "sky is moving in a different direction and that direction is away from my aged and weathered face" .

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

BlindSite posted:

His quote about it was pretty funny though, something along the lines of "sky is moving in a different direction and that direction is away from my aged and weathered face" .

Hahah he's a legend

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
BIG BISON TIME

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Anyone know how mitch Johnson is feelin' right now lol?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Why you chirpin now mate not getting hundreds?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

garycoleisgod posted:

I know it's not a serious question, but:

Before 19 matches average 39
Since 91 matches average 46
Overall 110 matches average 45

As of right now

More aspiring batsmen should punch Joe Root looking at those stats

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Cameron Green has had chronic kidney disease since birth, pretty amazing that he's doing professional sports imo

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
My David Warner story is my mum being super keen to take me to a T20 match because this new young kid called David Warner was going to be playing for the opposition and even though we're cheering for the home side I'm going to love seeing him bat because he's amazing and hits the ball everywhere. This was before his Australian debut. We went there cheering for our side to win and Warner to hit big, I'm pretty sure Warner got out cheap and our team lost. I'm not sure exactly which match it was, but I've never forgotten how excited she was to show me this shiny new player.

I've always had a tiny soft spot for him from that memory alone.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
My god, this Windies tour is going better than I'd ever hoped. Complete collapses on all fronts of the ECB. Beautiful.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Good on the debutant for getting 5 wickets in his first test.

Also, it's not a dead rubber against England. I don't know why anyone was expecting a Marsh century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

BrigadierSensible posted:

Good on the debutant for getting 5 wickets in his first test.

Also, it's not a dead rubber against England. I don't know why anyone was expecting a Marsh century.

It was pretty funny watching them bowl middle stump half trackers to Marsh and him continually pull them for four