Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

skooma512 posted:

App stuff has proven to be pretty ephemeral as it is too. I had a Fitbit in 2015 because work was just giving them out, and by 2021 the hardware was all poo poo and Google bought them and they are being imploded. Less than 7 years and all that poo poo is e-waste now, and usually within 3 years of purchase anyway. There will be weeks when an app just doesn't work. The Taco Bell app was that way for me, just immediate crash, and they didn't fix it for a week. I tried to get my mom a fitness band that was comparable to fitbit, and the biggest brand is Huawei, which is lol is now under embargo in the west and you can't get their app for a product from a year or two ago.

Like nothing about the app store ecosystem is about longevity. Products go in and out all the time, updates just break poo poo, they abandon apps. At least something hardcoded can't have all functionality shaved away when they feel like revenue is lagging.

Yeah, my mate bought some coffee maker with an app and you could only do the most basic of things on the machine itself, setting a timer or whatever required the app. It worked fine until one day the app stopped connecting and it was removed from the app store, the company said they took it down to make 'improvements'. Some other pissed off owners looked into it more and apparently the app developer got fired at some point and then some new OS updates broke something in the app which I guess they didn't know how to fix. I can only imagine the company calling the dev up and asking them to come in and fix it, if it was an old style phone they probably would have been able to hear it slamming down on them. No idea what happened and if a working app came out, my friend gave up and just bought another machine, I think he might have mentioned that they eventually went out of business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

duncandisorderly posted:

I queued to use a manned checkout yesterday & remembered why I'd stopped. lady in front of me, with small daughter
("this is a shop, not loving disneyland!")
is paying in cash. this always makes me suspicious- people who do such a big shop but pay cash are trying to evade/avoid something. usually it's tax. a lot of them are shopping to stock a small shop of their own, & use the supermarket as a sort of cash-&-carry, without the same major discount, but maybe it was an emergency.
nothing against this, as a rule- it is supported by the local circumstances, but when she started counting the pennies out & arguing with the checkout bloke about what she'd already handed over, which was still right there in his hand, I started grumbling.
("I did not come here for a loving day out!")

Lmfao gently caress off dude. Are you a Three Olives backup account?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

teen witch posted:

I’m hoping the argument about e-waste does turn the tide towards companies pulling this hyper obsolescence via app bullshit. It’s easier to buy less poo poo when the current poo poo isn’t outdated or rendered to barely useable due to apps. Also who needs a loving app for everything, outside of genuine accessibility needs (which is ANOTHER reason why instant obsolescence is hosed).

Like I totally do not expect my current phone to work when iOS 69 or whatever but I would like it to work as long as physically possible, not as long as Apple shitcans basic functionality.

This reminds of that guy who had neural implants in his brain, iirc he was blind and they gave him a kind of vision. But the company went bust and he was left without support or maintenance.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

His Divine Shadow posted:

This reminds of that guy who had neural implants in his brain, iirc he was blind and they gave him a kind of vision. But the company went bust and he was left without support or maintenance.

This is happening to a lot of medical implants, from fake knees to insulin pumps. People have things implanted in them that become paperweights due to capital movements.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Subscription apps seems to be better I guess becuase they have sub money coming in. I have three apps I pay for and they have been going strong for years.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

His Divine Shadow posted:

anonumos posted:

This is happening to a lot of medical implants, from fake knees to insulin pumps. People have things implanted in them that become paperweights due to capital movements.

Thank you for the new realistic fear

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

teen witch posted:

Thank you for the new realistic fear

Love to live an even worse Repo Men future

duncandisorderly
Nov 24, 2023
@Biplane & teen witch, I don't know what either of you mean.
I recognise mrs bucket, of course, but I don't know what 'three olives' means in this context.

perhaps if you'd been using the same sainos as me for thirty years, you'd know what I was getting at.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Three Olives is a rich rear end in a top hat who has been posting here for years about how filthy poors and their cash and SNAP or whatever should stay away from normal upstanding condo owners. Channeling his energy is a bad look in my opinion.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

duncandisorderly posted:

I recognise mrs bucket, of course, but I don't know what 'three olives' means in this context

It means your post makes you sound like an insufferable elitist douchebag.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Outrail posted:

How about disfunctionalization

Capitalist entropy.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

anonumos posted:

One time we did surgery on a lady who had a prosthetic elbow joint that she had fallen on multiple times so the stem portion had basically bored out the inside of her humerus and needed to be replaced. But her implant was done with a system that had been bought and absorbed into another company and was no longer manufactured so the surgeon had to spend a month prior trying to figure out if another system could be rigged to be compatible with the existing hardware so that we wouldn't have to remove the entire implant and just replace the one half of it. It was cool as hell but why the gently caress did it have to be that way in the first place

duncandisorderly
Nov 24, 2023

Modal Auxiliary posted:

well I'm not one, gently caress you very much.

you are reading my post & channelling your disdain for someone else in my direction. whoever this three olives twat is/was, he wasn't the poster in this very thread who also got behind someone who was counting out the pennies & slowing the queue down.
I'm not a rich rear end in a top hat, but I'd rather not waste my time stood in a queue while someone with rolls of fifties (I didn't mention that part) harrasses the checkout person over pennies.
I meant what I said about the lack of fulfilment in that occupation. there's no need to be assholes.

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009
Medical industry has a major implant/device manufacturer/designer/tester in my city, they've tried to get me to come work for them multiple times and it's actually the worst company in town.

No medical benefits (which is hilarious, when you consider they're attached to the biggest? second biggest? loving healthcare provider in Michigan), sub-standard pay in an already sub-standard market, extremely poor working conditions, untenable hours, miserable management and crunch, and I don't even think you're salaried until you clear one of the weird management-level bumps from what I've heard. And all this can be yours for the low low price of $13-17/hour. And you'll probably get thrown under the bus if the project you worked on turns out to be a pile of unsafe poo poo due to unrealistic deadlines.

Good luck to all us future olds, our hips are gonna need it.

Mudlark fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Dec 14, 2023

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

duncandisorderly posted:

I'm guessing that there was something about this lady which somehow cancelled out this absolutely colossal personality defect...

first test of a potential mate is whether they can accomplish a decent cup of tea.

where I worked in madrid, eleven years ago, we had a fingerprint scanner at the public door of the office. sometimes it actually worked, but it never let anyone in that wasn't supposed to be there. this was the streaming start-up I've mentioned elsewhere.

people who go to the supermarket without taking an empty bag of their own (whoever actually does the bagging) need their loving heads examining.
you can keep several carrier bags in your coat pocket or backpack & never know they are there until you need them.

up to me, empty bags at point-of-sale would be $100 each & indestructible.

I queued to use a manned checkout yesterday & remembered why I'd stopped. lady in front of me, with small daughter
is paying in cash. this always makes me suspicious- people who do such a big shop but pay cash are trying to evade/avoid something. usually it's tax. a lot of them are shopping to stock a small shop of their own, & use the supermarket as a sort of cash-&-carry, without the same major discount, but maybe it was an emergency.
nothing against this, as a rule- it is supported by the local circumstances, but when she started counting the pennies out & arguing with the checkout bloke about what she'd already handed over, which was still right there in his hand, I started grumbling.

why did I join this queue instead of self-checkout like I usually do? because of this thread, dammit. I thought I'd try it & see.
I do not believe that the checkout staff are fulfilled by what they do. I think this kind of 'occupation' is why we invented robots.

I like the idea of there being staff dotted about the place to help people with transactions that the robot is loving up for some reason, & definitely to help people get stuff into their bags & gently caress off out of the shop quicker, especially if there are children or other things slowing this process down.
but "eggs on top" common sense is seemingly in short supply, so what is to be done?

It's a supermarket, not your fiefdom.

People can buy as much stuff as they want and pay how they want.

If you don't like it, that's your problem.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

duncandisorderly posted:

you are reading my post & channelling your disdain for someone else in my direction. whoever this three olives twat is/was, he wasn't the poster in this very thread who also got behind someone who was counting out the pennies & slowing the queue down.
I'm not a rich rear end in a top hat, but I'd rather not waste my time stood in a queue while someone with rolls of fifties (I didn't mention that part) harrasses the checkout person over pennies.
I meant what I said about the lack of fulfilment in that occupation. there's no need to be assholes.

Ugh gently caress this person who is poor and paying in pennies, they are probably trying to run a scam or they would be paying like me!

Oh ok hmm yeah you are all very mad at me, ok also the person had a giant roll of money so game, set, and match rear end in a top hat goons, she was actually a welfare queen!

duncandisorderly
Nov 24, 2023
wow, tough crowd.

you think I'm judging someone because I got impatient with them? gently caress's sake.

"It's a supermarket, not your fiefdom.

If you don't like it, that's your problem."

what was this thread for again?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Modal Auxiliary posted:

duncandisorderly posted:

The insufferable elitist douchebag doth protest too much.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

duncandisorderly posted:

wow, tough crowd.

you think I'm judging someone because I got impatient with them? gently caress's sake.

Not for duncing on poor people, you insufferable elitist douchebag.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

duncandisorderly posted:

You don’t have to die on this hill

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Being poor is fine but holding up the line is unacceptable no matter your income

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

duncandisorderly posted:

@Biplane & teen witch, I don't know what either of you mean.
I recognise mrs bucket, of course, but I don't know what 'three olives' means in this context.

perhaps if you'd been using the same sainos as me for thirty years, you'd know what I was getting at.

looked this up and a "sainos" is a sainsbury supermarket

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

mawarannahr posted:

looked this up and a "sainos" is a sainsbury supermarket

I refuse to believe that

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

duncandisorderly posted:

wow, tough crowd.

what rereg are you op

ChthonicMasturbatr
Sep 29, 2021

born on a mountain
live in a cave
hugging and tugging
is all that i crave
How dare that obvious poor have rolls of fifties? Probably picked them right out of the pocket of an honest hardworking upper-class cocaine enthusiast

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

duncandisorderly posted:

wow, tough crowd.

:thanks:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

duncandisorderly posted:

lady in front of me, with small daughter

this is really the worst part for me lmao, how DARE someone take their small child to the grocery store

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Three Gherkins

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

duncandisorderly posted:

wow, tough crowd.

AARD VARKMAN posted:

this is really the worst part for me lmao, how DARE someone take their small child to the grocery store

Thank you sir.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

duncandisorderly posted:

I'm guessing that there was something about this lady which somehow cancelled out this absolutely colossal personality defect...

first test of a potential mate is whether they can accomplish a decent cup of tea.

where I worked in madrid, eleven years ago, we had a fingerprint scanner at the public door of the office. sometimes it actually worked, but it never let anyone in that wasn't supposed to be there. this was the streaming start-up I've mentioned elsewhere.

people who go to the supermarket without taking an empty bag of their own (whoever actually does the bagging) need their loving heads examining.
you can keep several carrier bags in your coat pocket or backpack & never know they are there until you need them.

up to me, empty bags at point-of-sale would be $100 each & indestructible.

why did I join this queue instead of self-checkout like I usually do? because of this thread, dammit. I thought I'd try it & see.
I do not believe that the checkout staff are fulfilled by what they do. I think this kind of 'occupation' is why we invented robots.

I like the idea of there being staff dotted about the place to help people with transactions that the robot is loving up for some reason, & definitely to help people get stuff into their bags & gently caress off out of the shop quicker, especially if there are children or other things slowing this process down.
but "eggs on top" common sense is seemingly in short supply, so what is to be done?

What a weird post. I think maybe you should use self checkouts if this is how you view other people, spare them from you

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

What a weird post. I think maybe you should use self checkouts if this is how you view other people, spare them from you

You seen his other ones? He clearly has a problem with poor people. "shop-twunt", "poo poo boys".

duncandisorderly posted:

this.

but also- the last time I let some shop-twunt bag my stuff, he put the eggs at the bottom, then 2L OJ carton went in & hosed them all up.

I will always & forever do my own bagging thanks very much.

as for self-scanning- why not? there seems to be the right balance in my local sainos between manned conveyors with/without bagging-assistance, the self-scan checkouts (with one or two employees dealing with printer ribbons, authentications.... & isn't it a dark day when you get so old-looking that they don't even glance at you, let alone ID you?) & a set of 'smart' checkouts where you take stuff that you've scanned & bagged whilst trawling the aisles.

overall, this part of the shopping experience is my least unfavourite bit.

if it looks from a distance like the self-scan section is full of idiots who've never done it before, I'll queue patiently behind the folks whose one important social event of the week is talking to the checkout person.

I haven't tried the scan-as-you-go option yet, but I need to look into it & see if it presents any of the opportunities-to-steal that the self-scan option does. (e.g. putting heavy stuff through as bags of carrots, or calling the assistant & looking confused when the scales are flagging an error of my deliberate making. things like an emergency purchase of a coin cell that costs pennies on amazon but you can't wait.... pop it down at the same time as a big bag of rice- boom.)

biggest gripe about supermarkets & large shops in general is the way some parents treat it like disneyland & let their grubby spawn run around the place getting in the way, while they dawdle & hum & hah over stuff that they should just grab off the shelf & move the gently caress on.
if the kids are particularly irksome, I may start knocking stuff over so that either the item or the blame lands on them, e.g. those giant displays of piled-up cans you used to see.

I take a shopping list. on a good day, I can be in & out again in ten minutes, & with at least one item unpaid for, but nonetheless, I always get radge with other people dragging their slow asses around MY shop.
bad person.

duncandisorderly posted:

when I worked in camden (the london one) we used to avoid the KFC unless we were absolutely trashed & thrown out of the pub too late to go anywhere else. we called it "unlucky fried kitten".

we stopped going there altogether (so average annual visits went down from two to zero) when we saw one of the poo poo-boys (fast-food operatives) pick up a near-dead rat with his bare hands, lob it into a fryer bin & then continue dispensing the foodstuffs.

It clearly comes from some self-loathing.

duncandisorderly posted:

yep.

I stopped being poor enough to need to shoplift a thousand years ago, but I still do it.

in sainsburys, I do the 'carrots' thing, where anything expensive & heavy goes through the transaction as a big bag of carrots (just dump it onto the scales & don't scan the b/c).

round the corner here is one of those business-park-convenient-mini-markets that has one person there to sell grown-up stuff (baccy, booze), one person to stack shelves, & one security guard. sometimes two. there are ten self-serve checkouts, & while the volume is turned right up on these things, it's only to tell the shop employees that the thing is actually doing something to take money from you while you lob stuff into your bag.
no-one checks.
the trick is to pick two or three things up in one hand & wave ONE barcode at the scanner.
instant discount.

no, I don't have any conscience about this.

Steakandchips fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 14, 2023

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Steakandchips posted:

You seen his other ones? He clearly has a problem with poor people. "shop-twunt", "poo poo boys".

It clearly comes from some self-loathing.

'e'd still grass on a punter if 'e 'ad a butcher's of 'im passing off an an aubergine as a carrot

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

and then piss and moan about the inconvenience of the grassing.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
ok back to things getting shittier or the rare blessed stories of things de-making GBS threads

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

e-applications of jobs have improved in the last 2 years markedly; the tie-ins with LinkedIn makes it unnecessary to type up the same thing N number of times.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

AARD VARKMAN posted:

or the rare blessed stories of things de-making GBS threads

I didn't know this was a fanfic thread

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

duncandisorderly posted:

wow, tough crowd.

It's for talking about when you notice something about daily life got worse, not for airing grievances with strangers.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Serious_Cyclone posted:

I didn't know this was a fanfic thread

There's literally only one I can actually think of, and it's as minor a victory as they come in this thread: sub chain Which Wich reverted their menu to its pre-2020 version almost in its entirety.

Originally they were a place with a million topping options where you ticked stuff off a checklist with stuff like olive salad and blue cheese as options.

Then in 2020 they completely overhauled to a limited set of subs and toppings, with the toppings preset for most types of sub. It was absolutely bizarre and lasted over 3 years, until last month they just... completely reverted it all.

that's the only story I can think of. An ok sub chain stopped being a poo poo sub chain it had shittened to. Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Then in 2020 they completely overhauled to a limited set of subs and toppings, with the toppings preset for most types of sub. It was absolutely bizarre and lasted over 3 years, until last month they just... completely reverted it all.

And I'm guessing they didn't reduce their prices when they slimmed down the options. Maybe fast food has gotten so expensive that people are finally just not bothering with it and going elsewhere or cooking at home. McDonald's etc. went from a once in a while thing straight to "why on Earth would I do that" when they pumped their prices through the roof. For all I know they've dropped them again, but I never bother to check.