Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
The Brittas Empire answers the question of "what is the most batshit insane thing that can happen in a small town leisure centre", and somehow topping that answer each week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Green Wing is absolute god-tier stuff.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!
Rev is a nice bittersweet comedy about a vicar who believes in the message, but is in inner city London with an apathetic parish and an economically driven diocese. It's very understated, akin to the Detectorists (although far more brutal)

Betjeman fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Dec 14, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

sebzilla posted:

Absolutely. Campus, their university show, was also pretty loving good.

With the obvious caveat that they're both British sex comedies from the 00's so they both feature pronounced transphobia.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

sebzilla posted:

Indeed. Particularly Mark Heap's top notch physical comedy skills (obviously)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wCO35irQoI

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

Dell_Zincht posted:

Indeed. Particularly Mark Heap's top notch physical comedy skills (obviously)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wCO35irQoI

I'm convinced Patterson Joseph dropped out of character at the end there. Lovely stuff.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Heavy Metal posted:

Absolutely! Lord he rules.

Don’t look up what he’s been saying lately then. :ohdear:

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

I haven't seen Friday Night Dinners or Garth Marenghi's Darkplace mentioned yet so I'll nominate those ones too. Definitely very different tones – one is more of a standard family sitcom and the other one is a parody of poo poo 80s horror but is absolutely hysterical. Also it's got Matt Berry in it if you like him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VamgprCpEGw

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Do not under any circumstances take that one goon’s recommendation to Gavin and Stacey. Every time I watch it I involuntarily try to hang myself out of annoyance at how poo poo it is.

Brass Eye is essential viewing. You’ll piss yourself laughing multiple times every episode.

‘It’s the one thing we didn’t want to happen’

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Ignore that, Gavin and Stacey is a charming, low-stakes rom-com with some fantastic performances.

But yes, Brass Eye is essential. Everything Chris Morris related is essential.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I'll +1 coupling
It's not AMAZING but it's really interesting to see and has some bits that I still think of years down the line

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

The_Doctor posted:

Don’t look up what he’s been saying lately then. :ohdear:

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but didn't he have a dodgy section on his website? I just looked and it's not there now. I guess he had a call from his agent about it...

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Gorn Myson posted:

Ignore that, Gavin and Stacey is a charming, low-stakes rom-com with some fantastic performances.

But yes, Brass Eye is essential. Everything Chris Morris related is essential.

Counterpoint: it has Matthew Horne and his dead, dead eyes in, and corden and his unfortunately alive ones

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Mickolution posted:

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but didn't he have a dodgy section on his website? I just looked and it's not there now. I guess he had a call from his agent about it...

He posted about the Great Replacement theory pretty recently

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I'm fond of Rev too though like a lot of examples on the list, you have to excuse a couple of things that haven't aged well. One episode's plot is resolved by the wacky comedy character doing a bit of sexual harassment. That said it's otherwise fantastic, genuinely thoughtful and compassionate.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I will always maintain that Catterick is the best thing Vic & Bob have ever done, and is essential viewing.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Taear posted:

He posted about the Great Replacement theory pretty recently

Yeah, I thought there was a section of his website that was basically "immigrants are scum" but maybe it was a post somewhere.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Mickolution posted:

Yeah, I thought there was a section of his website that was basically "immigrants are scum" but maybe it was a post somewhere.

I think it was just a regular post on his site. I seem to remember reading one that was like "I'll be appearing at Sci-Con in Nottingham this weekend, also have you noticed how white people are being replaced in this country?"

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Everytime we do sitcom recomendations i feel the need to highlight 2 particular shows

First We Are Klang is fabulous facetious nonsense from Greg Davies and his mates. 6 eps, easily found on youtube. Its an adaptation of a live stage thing, theres a lot of memorable stuff in there like greg davies UNFATHOMABLE magician character to the whole juggling episode seemingly being the setup to a realy bad pun.

Second The High life! A lil gem of a sitcom from the 90s with alan cummings. Its kinda wild seeing so many recs for the Britas Empire which i find the second dullest most predictable and unfunny sitcom the 90s produced (after the thin blue line). The high life by contrast is a breezy 6 episodes of camp fun including a eurovision episode.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

DrVenkman posted:

I think it was just a regular post on his site. I seem to remember reading one that was like "I'll be appearing at Sci-Con in Nottingham this weekend, also have you noticed how white people are being replaced in this country?"

Yeah, I vaguely remember something like that.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Mr Phillby posted:

Its kinda wild seeing so many recs for the Britas Empire which i find the second dullest most predictable and unfunny sitcom the 90s produced (after the thin blue line)

Bit unfair in a decade with birds of a feather and keeping up appearances (though the only bit I can remember is the receptionist saying his name funny)

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Him & Her is much better than Gavin and Stacy if you ask me.

Also, I strongly suggest Ideal.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Upstart Crow, Mrs Brown's Boys, 2 Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps, and my personal favourite, Coming of Age
:devil:

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I guess arguably more of a drama than a sitcom, but Catastrophe is one of the best shows of the last decade. It's dramatic and, occasionally, dark as gently caress, but has a lot of laughs in every episode as well.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Nighty Night, if you fancy watching a sitcom with quite possibly the most deprived, evil character ever written.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Saxondale is another suggestion for me for a lesser known Steve Coogan vehicle too.

The Day Today which still is fantastic, All but a few episodes the IT Crowd, Father Ted and Black Books are another bunch of suggestions from me also.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I don't think anyone's mentioned Toast of London or Snuffbox - both are great Matt Berry projects. I've not revisited them, but League of Gentlemen, Psychoville, and Inside Number 9 are all funny thing made by horror geeks.

sebzilla posted:

GW has caused me to memorize Julian Rhind Tutt's name.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Also, I strongly suggest Ideal.

Ideal is great, Johnny Vegas gives it a lot of heart. Sean Locke's sitcom 15 Stories High is often mentioned with it, but I've never watched it.

Lemon posted:

I will always maintain that Catterick is the best thing Vic & Bob have ever done, and is essential viewing.

Catterick rules.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Catterik is a must watch. Nice to see matt lucas before he went a bit poo poo too.

Betjeman posted:

Bit unfair in a decade with birds of a feather and keeping up appearances (though the only bit I can remember is the receptionist saying his name funny)
Genuinely forgot birds of a feather was supposed to be funny. Was keeping up appearances from the 90s wow that show feels older than that.

Maybe i have a harsher view on brittas for both being boring poo poo and for ruining red dwarf. Will not take back my comment on the thin blue line that show is dogshit.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Chris Barrie is an old man with old man problems. I don't think he was young when he did radio (some of his best stuff imo) in the mid 80s.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Has anyone said Bottom yet?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Also, both Look Around You and the Armando Iannucci Shows are solid choices though the former is a pisstake on the very dry educational films/videos we saw in school as kids so not sure how well that would work for anyone in the US.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gavin & Stacey and Him & Her are two sides of the same "a cast of a weirdos revolves around a fairly boring couple" coin.

Gavin & Stacey is incredibly light and fluffy, and as others have said Horne and Corden are a pair of cunts. But it's a nice bit of easy comedy and some of the observational humour is great.

I find Him & Her to be genuinely bleak and often uncomfortable. Watching an abusive psychopath have a breakdown for 20 minutes isn't very funny. But overall it has a lot going for it.

I like both. :)

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

I always used to recommend Monkey Dust, especially for Americans or other people from outside the U.K. as a comedy that captures how Britain actually *feels* like to live in.

But I haven’t seen it for a while and could well imagine large chunks of it have aged rather poorly.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

stev posted:

Gavin & Stacey and Him & Her are two sides of the same "a cast of a weirdos revolves around a fairly boring couple" coin.

Gavin & Stacey is incredibly light and fluffy, and as others have said Horne and Corden are a pair of cunts. But it's a nice bit of easy comedy and some of the observational humour is great.

I find Him & Her to be genuinely bleak and often uncomfortable. Watching an abusive psychopath have a breakdown for 20 minutes isn't very funny. But overall it has a lot going for it.

I like both. :)

Gavin and Stacey is worth it just for Rob Brydon and Ruth Jones, who just steal every scene their in.

Him and Her is genuinely nasty just because Laura and Paul are such irredeemably awful people - but it's also really, really well written and funny, in a way which Mum couldn't match (at least in part because the characters are all nicer, even to an extent, the sister in law).

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I think I have a natural aversion to BBC three shows. I think the only one in the last 15 years that I've actually enjoyed is This Country. That one is so so good, but every other BBC three show I've seen has been so bland.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Pablo Bluth posted:

Nighty Night, if you fancy watching a sitcom with quite possibly the most deprived, evil character ever written.

Every single show by Julia Davis fits the description and they are all fantastic.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
People Just Do Nothing is an Office-like mockumentary about folks running a pirate radio station from a council flat. Starts strong and pretty much stays there.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Matinee posted:

I always used to recommend Monkey Dust, especially for Americans or other people from outside the U.K. as a comedy that captures how Britain actually *feels* like to live in.

But I haven’t seen it for a while and could well imagine large chunks of it have aged rather poorly.

I haven't watched it in ages but I feel like if anything the atmosphere of the show will only have got _more_ true to real life

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

fischtick posted:

People Just Do Nothing is an Office-like mockumentary about folks running a pirate radio station from a council flat. Starts strong and pretty much stays there.

The problem I have with people just do nothing is, while it's watchable and the situations are entertaining, the format is all wrong, the big reason the office was a big hit was that it could have been any office across the country, and had lots of characters that had enough similarity to someone everyone worked with at some point or another.

People just do nothing was a bunch of caricatures having wacky japes, and would have been far stronger being a standard sitcom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Seconding Toast of London. It’s infected my vocabulary to the point I can’t hear a list of names without jumping in with ‘and even HEATHCOTE PURSUIT’