Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

PlasticAutomaton posted:

i thought if you refused the gift the enemies just get a random boost. Most of the mounting trial debuffs are so weak you can just ignore them anyways.

Also uh if your floor 3 boss is slash recommended and a lust weakness don't do it, it'll be Faelantern and softlock your entire run.

I never bothered refusing so maybe?

i think the bosses have been somewhat overcompensated defense-wise. enemies in general really seem a lot more resistant to stuff they...resist.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Hey PM. I just want to talk to whoever thought six T-Corp dudes in a non-focused encounter was a great idea. Just a friendly talk.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

PlasticAutomaton posted:

i thought if you refused the gift the enemies just get a random boost.

This is what they said when they were outlining how it worked before, yes.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

huh. i guess we can enhance some gifts at the convenience store now? and fuse them??? neat
found an event-abno that gave 3 levels to all my I.D.'s, so this first run is going p smooth :toot:

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

yeah uh I think I'm waiting till they nerf this.

MD3 Bull has 52 offense level and 60 defense level. They somehow made it worse. :shepface:

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Good news!

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1973530/view/7073530199334778681

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

that's good but why did they jack it up so much in the first place, md2 hard wasn't exactly a cakewalk and s3's IDs aren't like massively strong or anything

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Yinlock posted:

that's good but why did they jack it up so much in the first place, md2 hard wasn't exactly a cakewalk and s3's IDs aren't like massively strong or anything

\__ _/
v

:lobcorp:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

the :lobcorp: solution would be to jack up their offensive as well so they effortlessly annihilate you too, this was more making things tedious for no reason

i guess kromer dying in 2 turns was an issue so i get trying to adjust her and going overboard, but why buff the fuckin bull. that thing was already insane

e: also this is the only md choice now and it unlocks after canto 2. gently caress you new players :lobcorp:

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Dec 14, 2023

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Having gone through the new MD a few times, I like that it encourages you to try out different teams. That said, Rupture and Burn both sorely need an ID or EGO to tie their whole thing together. Rupture sorely needs its equivalent of Rime Shank because it desperately needs Rupture Count, and Burn needs some equivalent to Tremor Burst or Sinking Deluge to leverage the massive amounts of burn you can inflict.

Yinlock posted:

e: also this is the only md choice now and it unlocks after canto 2. gently caress you new players :lobcorp:
This, on the other hand, is just loving stupid. This is not a beginner thing, especially since it spoils story bosses. MD1/2 need to come back, seriously, you're loving over the newer players PM.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

GilliamYaeger posted:

Having gone through the new MD a few times, I like that it encourages you to try out different teams. That said, Rupture and Burn both sorely need an ID or EGO to tie their whole thing together. Rupture sorely needs its equivalent of Rime Shank because it desperately needs Rupture Count, and Burn needs some equivalent to Tremor Burst or Sinking Deluge to leverage the massive amounts of burn you can inflict.

This, on the other hand, is just loving stupid. This is not a beginner thing, especially since it spoils story bosses. MD1/2 need to come back, seriously, you're loving over the newer players PM.

Eh not sure if 2 is necessary after 3 gets ironed out but I agree there does need to be a smaller mirror dungeon for babies for brand new players

imagine a new group that's like a mishmash of half-leveled lcb and 00s, maybe with like w yi sang or whatever, running into the fuckin bull

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Honestly, Kromer is the only enemy in the Mirror Dungeon pool I'd consider a spoiler? Maybe the pallid things too, since they're specifically a weird monstrous thing and not something you'd assume would be a regular enemy from a faction you haven't seen yet (or have seen in a random gacha roll). But the abnormalities are all mostly just weird things you randomly fight whose existence is spoiled by just knowing what EGOs are in each canto's battle pass. Sure, Brazen Bull has a bit of plot relevance, but every other abnormality is just a big weird thing you randomly fight. You're just getting the "wow, what the gently caress is this mechanic" reaction in a mirror dungeon instead of a Canto.

(That's assuming they haven't added Dongrang to the final boss pool or something.)

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Dec 14, 2023

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Also, while the initial mirror dungeon should stay around for newbies, I'm honestly in favor of mirror dungeons effectively becoming seasonal content. It adds variety to part of your weekly grind, and in theory it would encourage them to not do... well, the kind of pointless stat inflation they have here.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Also, while the initial mirror dungeon should stay around for newbies, I'm honestly in favor of mirror dungeons effectively becoming seasonal content. It adds variety to part of your weekly grind, and in theory it would encourage them to not do... well, the kind of pointless stat inflation they have here.
Just have the old ones give out smaller rewards when you cash the weekly bonuses in. Only the newest dungeon gives the full bonus.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I think they're assuming that new players will only make it through some of the floors then wipe out and get partial rewards.

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

:lobcorp:

GilliamYaeger posted:

Rupture can be serviceable, but requires way more effort and luck than i think is really necessary. Both Dimension Shredder EGO can apply Dimensional Rift, as can W Sang, but you're only getting 3-4 count out of that, and only next turn, too, whereas Rime Shank immediately gets you 5/5 sinking (which gets upped to a ridiculous 8/10 for its overclock). There are a few regular skills that can give a decent amount of Rupture count, but in the case of 7 Faust it's only ever before she immediately spends all the count she just applied, in the case of 7cliff the only time he doesn't immediately spend it is with his skill 2, and with LCCB Ish it's only with her skill 3 and you're still only left with 2 count by the end. At the very least, Yi Sang's Dimension Shredder makes all of his attacks rupture-neutral, and Ebony Stem effectively does the same thing for Outis by making her attacks apply rupture count next turn, but Rupture doesn't have anything even remotely equivalent to Sinking that lets them get the snowball rolling. Unfortunately, if you want to run Rupture in a mirror dungeon, Thunderbranch is basically mandatory if you don't want to constantly wind up in situations where you have 13/1 rupture.

Maybe Pmoon figured Rime Shank's UT4 was fine because in human fights it doesn't do direct damage whereas rupture does- but statuses are hardly ever going to matter in human fights anyway, because human opponents are always tackled in a random order and you really cannot reliably do things like pile rupture, sinking, tremor, or burn on them. The only thing that matters is winrate, and unless you're fighting opponents with negative coins, not only does the AoE damage of Rime Shank make any given encounter that much easier, you're getting either -25 sanity to your targets or a whopping -80 once all the sinking is spent. Low sanity means easier clashes. Press winrate, watch little german boy do self-destructive purge, bing bang wahoo.

I guess that's part of the success of archetypes like Charge and Self-Tremor (aka Charge At Home), because the random clash order doesn't matter as much and you can still build to your payoff, whereas it's much more difficult to make the monkey magic happen with other archetypes (unless you're Sinking). The only place where these archetypes are allowed to shine is in focused encounters, and even then most of them are too much effort when you could just turn your brain off and let W Ryoshu turn the enemy into chunky salsa after waiting a few turns.

VinnyDonuts fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 14, 2023

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Looking at the EGO gift compendium it turns out that gift fusion hasn't been implemented for a bunch of gifts and won't be until next week. So right now it looks like the only thing you can get with it is a random tier 1 gift which makes it worse than selling.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Having just finished an MD3 run with the Sinking team, I can safely say that this is objectively the strongest team. Being able to just start with that +3 sinking count on all enemies every turn Gift at the start while having the resources to just spam the poo poo out of Rime Shank is nuts. Being able to just have Yi Sang explode a boss with a 7000 damage sinking deluge is incredible.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 15, 2023

DuoRogue
Jul 19, 2022

My secret? I don't have any bones.
even without the sinking treasures, I can absolutely say that sinking is the strongest, thanks to rime shank, molar ish, and spicebush yi sang. dieci rodion being good helps too.

seriously, bull may be cracked but even it cant stand up to 38x20 sinking that only scales higher

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022
Ugh, that drat Umbrella Fox almost wiped me out at the very end. Tremor team is alright but since it needs some of the same IDs as Sinking, you might as well stick to Sinking.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me
Is Molar Ish still obtainable or is it an event and therefore isn't obtainable until next season?

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1973530/view/3863589647902746086?l=english
Section 4 Cinq IDs (Don was Section 5), 3 star Sinclair as the Director and 2 star Outis. Outis is 2/2/3(?), Sinclair is 2/3/3. Now (next week) Outis can actually cycle full rests, sweet.

edit: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1973530/view/3863589647902788405?l=english
And hotfix imminently.

RandomReader fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Dec 15, 2023

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
cinqlair.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

TeeQueue posted:

cinqlair.

It's why they made him a Director.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Sinclair is nice and all, but consider: Musketeer Outis. Especially that second portrait of her. :swoon:

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Lt. Lizard posted:

Sinclair is nice and all, but consider: Musketeer Outis. Especially that second portrait of her. :swoon:
Personally, I like the contemplative profile of the first portrait. Both are great though, love her fluttering hair in the second. And hell, blurry background Outis in Sinclairs first portrait is also good.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

L.U.I.G.I posted:

Is Molar Ish still obtainable or is it an event and therefore isn't obtainable until next season?

I think as an event ID she's roll-only now

RandomReader posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1973530/view/3863589647902746086?l=english
Section 4 Cinq IDs (Don was Section 5), 3 star Sinclair as the Director and 2 star Outis. Outis is 2/2/3(?), Sinclair is 2/3/3. Now (next week) Outis can actually cycle full rests, sweet.

edit: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1973530/view/3863589647902788405?l=english
And hotfix imminently.

*itchy and scratchy looking at a "AHAB ISHMAEL: 2 MILES" sign*

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

GilliamYaeger posted:

IMO Burn mainly needs another heavy-hitter to leverage the status like Ishmael, being stuck at 4 IDs(and N Sinclair I guess) is it's main issue rn

This sums up my issues with it, people always say rupture would become The God Status if given substantial support but Sinking is just Better Rupture and is fine

e: oh God papa bongy has entered the mirror dungeon

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Dec 15, 2023

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Yinlock posted:

IMO Burn mainly needs another heavy-hitter to leverage the status like Ishmael, being stuck at 4 IDs(and N Sinclair I guess) is it's main issue rn
Nah, it's real issue is that it's still capped at 99. That's like, one good hit. It needs to either uncap that so it does actual damage as opposed to putting in a lot of effort for a meagre return, or it needs someone to have a skill that makes it act like Rupture or something, consuming Count to instantly deal Potency damage.

NotteBoy97
Aug 17, 2021
Personally I found for MD2 Hard that burn has some difficulty in getting high count started in difficult content cause ego spam being necessary for basic clashes means you can't really get the few attacks with burn count + to land their blows.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

GilliamYaeger posted:

Nah, it's real issue is that it's still capped at 99. That's like, one good hit. It needs to either uncap that so it does actual damage as opposed to putting in a lot of effort for a meagre return, or it needs someone to have a skill that makes it act like Rupture or something, consuming Count to instantly deal Potency damage.

"If enemy has x burn then hit enemy gooder" seems fine as a payoff since Burn is so trivial to stack. It being uncapped would be great though. Also possible is more stuff like 9:2 Faust and converting Burn into other debuffs. Defense Level Down isn't great but other stuff like Paralyze or Fragile could be aces

NotteBoy97 posted:

Personally I found for MD2 Hard that burn has some difficulty in getting high count started in difficult content cause ego spam being necessary for basic clashes means you can't really get the few attacks with burn count + to land their blows.

Also yeah it doesn't help that 3 of the IDs are 00s that suck at clashing

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022
And again, Sinclair proves to have a bloodthirsty side underneath his easily flustered exterior.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

Yinlock posted:

I think as an event ID she's roll-only now

She's season 2, right? I still didn't complete RR2 beyond Cycle 3 so I couldn't theorically get that ID if I'm lucky enough.

KobunFan posted:

And again, Sinclair proves to have a bloodthirsty side underneath his easily flustered exterior.

GO WHITE BOY GO! Do you think he think about Kromer when dueling?

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Holy cow, because of the rotating gimmick of md3, I am now finding out just how bad Sad Heathcliff is. Why does this identity even exist?

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
Raincoat Heathcliff is a big pile of neat ideas and synergies that are extremely let down by his numbers. The idea is that he's a man in a raincoat, getting sad with the water style debuff which also protects him. The protection lets him tank hits and counter!

The problem is that his s1 and s2 numbers are terrible, so you're entirely reliant on his s3 and counter for him to do any damage, he's counter reliant but he's slow as poo poo so he can't get in front of enemy attacks, and PM didn't give him aggro so it's completely random if anything targets him at all. Having a bunch of finicky mechanics means that he's especially terrible when you auto a battle, because he rolls a billion negative coins for already bad numbers, and his bad stats don't help. And as a final kick to the balls, his EGO corrosions are all randomly targeted, so unlike sinclair you can't set him up to do something useful if he hits max negativity.

He should be good, and if you run him real carefully he can reach the lofty height of "not entirely a waste of space on a sinking team", but as is, he primarily exists to make newer players sad they didn't roll the good heathcliffs.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Marluxia posted:

Holy cow, because of the rotating gimmick of md3, I am now finding out just how bad Sad Heathcliff is. Why does this identity even exist?

they overcompensated in response to how bonkers n sinclair was so all his poo poo involves him spending multiple turns getting his rear end kicked and farting around with self-sinking with very little payoff

e:

Onehandclapping posted:

Raincoat Heathcliff is a big pile of neat ideas and synergies that are extremely let down by his numbers. The idea is that he's a man in a raincoat, getting sad with the water style debuff which also protects him. The protection lets him tank hits and counter!

The problem is that his s1 and s2 numbers are terrible, so you're entirely reliant on his s3 and counter for him to do any damage, he's counter reliant but he's slow as poo poo so he can't get in front of enemy attacks, and PM didn't give him aggro so it's completely random if anything targets him at all. Having a bunch of finicky mechanics means that he's especially terrible when you auto a battle, because he rolls a billion negative coins for already bad numbers, and his bad stats don't help. And as a final kick to the balls, his EGO corrosions are all randomly targeted, so unlike sinclair you can't set him up to do something useful if he hits max negativity.

He should be good, and if you run him real carefully he can reach the lofty height of "not entirely a waste of space on a sinking team", but as is, he primarily exists to make newer players sad they didn't roll the good heathcliffs.

hilariously he is very bad on a sinking team, he only applies it with his s1 which will never ever win a clash and the rest of his kit applies rupture(but not count because of course) and bursts tremor for some reason.

he does like 5 different things and is the worst in the game at all of them.

e2: oh i forgot his counter, 5 sinking isn't worth dragging his dead weight rear end along though

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 15, 2023

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

pls say hi and heckle me
Sad Heathcliff produce nice ressource for my Sinking team and while he is fox poo poo in term of damage, he can take a good few hit before collapsing. The only problem I have with him is his inability to go in to negative Sanity, a problem that NSinclair doesn't have due to his skill already putting him in negative. If he had an option to be even more sad, he could be usable. Then again, you could use EGO or Overclocking but that takes away ressources you could spend on more useful EGO.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

The bonker ego gifts have been datamined, and the worst part is they require you to have at least five identities that can do a particular status gimmick, so Sad Heathcliff is ALMOST mandatory if you want the good sinking one.

there are three very good sinking identities, Molar Ishmael, Spicebush Yi Sang, and Dieci Rodya. The rest, uh, exists. You have a choice between Sad Heathcliff, Mariachi Sinclair, and G Outis. :shepface:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Marluxia posted:

The bonker ego gifts have been datamined, and the worst part is they require you to have at least five identities that can do a particular status gimmick, so Sad Heathcliff is ALMOST mandatory if you want the good sinking one.

there are three very good sinking identities, Molar Ishmael, Spicebush Yi Sang, and Dieci Rodya. The rest, uh, exists. You have a choice between Sad Heathcliff, Mariachi Sinclair, and G Outis. :shepface:

G Outis is alright, she's one of the 00s who can actually hang in M2 Hard to some extent. The other two though :chloe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Marluxia posted:

I mean GOutis at the very least can do a one sided attack to buff the slowest member or give unconditional -2 to rolls, and she has Sunshower and Ebony Stem if you need her to clash. Like she ain't winning any medals but I wouldn't put her on the same tier as the other two.

Also I did a Charge run with Employee Card and Wrist Glove upgraded and I'm really doubting Sinking is better, permanent +4 charge every turn and several stacks of Damage Up means even UT3 WFaust and WHong feel like they do something.

okay Blind Obsession and the other charge IDs carry the team, but I saw them do damage. That's something.