Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

jaadee posted:

There was a lot of back-and-forth on hip drop tackles a couple weeks ago and it seemed like folks thought a hip drop tackle was simply tackling from behind and using one's bodyweight to drag an opposing player down, as opposed to tackling from behind and wrapping the legs or otherwise impeding an opposing player's ability to keep their legs moving.

There's an essential component to a tackle that makes it a hip drop tackle, and that is dropping one's body directly onto the opposing player's legs (this almost always happens from behind). This is also what makes the hip drop tackle dangerous. Check out this video for examples of what is and is not a hip drop tackle, at least on a rugby pitch.

I would not claim that it's easy to categorize every single tackle as either hip drop or not nor would I claim that leg injuries don't happen during standard tackles. There are always edge cases, but the ones that are no-brainer hip drops are also the ones that have the highest chance of causing injury. It would be nice to eliminate those at least.

This is the correct take. Hip drop tackles are awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I just saw the TJ Watt self-reported concussion symptoms last Friday and is still in the protocol.

From last Thursday's GDT,

pmchem posted:

he’s playing through an obvious concussion from the first drive and not doing poo poo

why are players and teams so dumb? how did the NFL let this happen? I mean Watt went back in the game with a TINTED VISOR basically advertising his concussion, what in the hell?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

pmchem posted:

I just saw the TJ Watt self-reported concussion symptoms last Friday and is still in the protocol.

From last Thursday's GDT,

why are players and teams so dumb? how did the NFL let this happen? I mean Watt went back in the game with a TINTED VISOR basically advertising his concussion, what in the hell?

Concussions are a badge of honor starting in high school. Playing after getting your bell rung is seen as badass.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

biceps crimes posted:

this league is dumb as gently caress if they ban the qb shove over health and safety

Feels like trying again to get a different result after banning it on competitive grounds got an “lol git gud”

I refuse to believe there is an unstoppable play in the NFL. If it becomes enough of a problem, defenses will fuckin figure it out. Even if it takes my dream of a traveling duo of morbidly obese dudes whose only purpose is to stand in front of the center on fourth and short.

Edit: was this the same “totally not a concussion” where Watt had to be checked and then demanded a tinted visor because the lights hurt his eyes lmao? “Player safety is a priority”

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Docjowles posted:

Get on mountain time’s level imo. Optimal sports watching window

:yeah:

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Watt is a case of another neurologist that the union should fire. Dude missed/ignored an obvious symptom if he even bothered to look at Watt.

Team doctor should go to but lol team employee.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Docjowles posted:

Get on mountain time’s level imo. Optimal sports watching window

Barudak
May 7, 2007

dingo with a joint posted:

Saturday games rule because I get to watch NFL during the New Zealand weekend. I'm going to spend this Sunday afternoon in an American bar watching Broncos v Lions live and getting drunk with my Pats fan mate.

Normally I can only see games live if a) I take leave, or b) I'm watching games at work when I shouldn't be. :D

Same except northern hemisphere of you

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Doltos posted:

Concussions are a badge of honor starting in high school. Playing after getting your bell rung is seen as badass.

poo poo, even earlier than that. My son (likely) got one as an eight year old playing Pop Warner when he wasn't paying attention on a kickoff. And I was proud of him for sucking it up and not at all concerned he definitely wasn't himself for a week following the play.

This was twenty years ago, but I really don't think football (youth or otherwise) is any different.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

chamois posted:

in 20 years they'll be playing football on the moon

the Olympus Mons Raiders will still suck

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Mister Perky posted:

the Olympus Mons Raiders will still suck

I look forward to the Seahawks still bitching about the added travel time they face to the spaceport island in flooded out Arkansas in the year 2400. Ahead of the multi year flight to Mars.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Doltos posted:

In the mid-00s in high school playing lacrosse I leapt into the air trying to catch a ball that was badly overshot above the goal. I was drilled midair and slammed onto the ground like 5 feet down from my peak of the leap. I don't remember anything of like the next 30 minutes after that and I can't possibly imagine trying to go back into the game like that. They kept me out of the next game and I was pretty upset about that. The rest of that whole period is somewhat fuzzy.

The ground was very wet and soft. Muddy.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
drat you had a 60 inch vertical that rules

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Freaquency posted:

Yeah those early slots kick off at 7:30 my time and I’m not waking up to watch football that early every week, even for a team I like.

Bold of you to assume the league won't be broadcasting itself straight into your dreams Futurama style.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I wake up at 445 to watch the panthers play every week. On a Monday. You're not true fans.

Or maybe I'm a masochist.

Come to think about it, no wonder I'm just coming out the otherside of a pretty bad bout of depressed mood.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I love that Amazon got swindled for Billions to have the rights to broadcast what is usually the worst game of the week

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

biceps crimes posted:

this league is dumb as gently caress

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Personally I think they're over extending but they haven't hosed it up yet despite allowing only Tom Brady to win championships in the script, so what do I know.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

biceps crimes posted:

this league is dumb as gently caress

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

indigi posted:

drat you had a 60 inch vertical that rules

You realize it's not uncommon for someone's head to be at least five feet from the ground just while standing.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Rectal Placenta posted:

You realize it's not uncommon for someone's head to be at least five feet from the ground just while standing.

oh so he has a 0 inch vertical. that's impressive in its own way

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

SKULL.GIF posted:

I can't think of any instances off the top of my head where the shove has resulted in an injury.

People certainly get Hurts

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

jaadee posted:

There was a lot of back-and-forth on hip drop tackles a couple weeks ago and it seemed like folks thought a hip drop tackle was simply tackling from behind and using one's bodyweight to drag an opposing player down, as opposed to tackling from behind and wrapping the legs or otherwise impeding an opposing player's ability to keep their legs moving.

There's an essential component to a tackle that makes it a hip drop tackle, and that is dropping one's body directly onto the opposing player's legs (this almost always happens from behind). This is also what makes the hip drop tackle dangerous. Check out this video for examples of what is and is not a hip drop tackle, at least on a rugby pitch.

I would not claim that it's easy to categorize every single tackle as either hip drop or not nor would I claim that leg injuries don't happen during standard tackles. There are always edge cases, but the ones that are no-brainer hip drops are also the ones that have the highest chance of causing injury. It would be nice to eliminate those at least.

I always thought a hip drop was tackling from behind and using ones bodyweight. I didn't realize that all these tacklers are intentionally trying to injure/land on the legs, and that it wasn't something that happens sometimes but not others. I've never heard a single player talk about deliberately trying to land on the legs.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

bows1 posted:

I always thought a hip drop was tackling from behind and using ones bodyweight. I didn't realize that all these tacklers are intentionally trying to injure/land on the legs, and that it wasn't something that happens sometimes but not others. I've never heard a single player talk about deliberately trying to land on the legs.

Unfortunately I've heard several announcers this season call it a hip drop tackle when it's just the former, which is probably the source of confusion.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

I'm sure the referees will have no issues interpreting the difference once it's introduced as a rule

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

The337th posted:

I'm sure the referees will have no issues interpreting the difference once it's introduced as a rule

yeah exactly, the last thing we need is more subjective judgement rules

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Is it really that different from horsecollar tackles, which at one point seemed innocuous and commonplace.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

Is it really that different from horsecollar tackles, which at one point seemed innocuous and commonplace.

I don't think it is different. The best possible outcome would be to make the hip drop an unnecessary roughness penalty and also make unnecessary roughness reviewable by sky judge. That'll never happen because the on field refs are babies, but it would absolutely work.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It kind of seems like they want to slowly get rid of "players landing onto other players" not only for safety, but also because it leads to more shoulder tackles/shove tackles that are more easily juked/broken, which leads to more yardage and more surprise breakthroughs for exciting plays.

You can't land on the QB anymore, which has directly led to more broken/evaded sacks that lead to extended plays.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Hip drop tackles are as dangerous as horse collar and they both need to be stamped out. It's lovely tackling technique done by inferior athletes. It's not really subjective when it happens.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I haven’t been paying attention but when I saw that rugby video I instantly wanted that poo poo gone. I’m pretty sure a trained ref will be able to tell if you intentionally fall on someone’s legs like that since that looks like an obviously deliberate act compared to just tackling someone and falling down weirdly.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Luigi Thirty posted:

I haven’t been paying attention but when I saw that rugby video I instantly wanted that poo poo gone. I’m pretty sure a trained ref will be able to tell if you intentionally fall on someone’s legs like that since that looks like an obviously deliberate act compared to just tackling someone and falling down weirdly.

Ok, so now you're asking them to determine intent on the fly.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Ok, so now you're asking them to determine intent on the fly.

In the rugby video it seemed pretty easy to determine intent because all the hip drop guys were moving themselves to deliberately land on the legs and all the clean tackles just fell to the ground. I know it was a video showing very clear cut situations, but it seemed like the hip-drops, while more effective, were deliberately targeted. Not one looked like someone unintentionally landing on the ball carrier's leg.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Nah, it's just like the horse collar. Intent doesn't matter. If you grab an offensive player, swing your weight, then drop down on top of them, it's a hip drop.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
We need to bring back 1970s tackling.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Yeah it’s a matter of recklessness not intent. It would be really weird if there was a rash of players purposefully falling on dudes’ legs while in the midst of making a desperation tackle

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

davecrazy posted:

We need to bring back 1970s tackling.

JACK'D UP!!!

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

syzpid posted:

I love that Amazon got swindled for Billions to have the rights to broadcast what is usually the worst game of the week

Bezos is just putting that as addback acquisition costs on his eventual Seahawks purchase.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Docjowles posted:

I look forward to the Seahawks still bitching about the added travel time they face to the spaceport island in flooded out Arkansas in the year 2400. Ahead of the multi year flight to Mars.

The Mons Raiders are nothing. I still can't believe they moved the Titans to Titan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Wait who’s playing to- hell is empty and all the devils are here