Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Hed posted:

This is cool! A couple of questions:

• Why zigbee2mqtt? I’m using the “Zigbee Home Automation” in HomeAssistant but unsure if I’m missing out on something

I like Z2M over ZHA because Z2M gets faster support for new devices, OTA updates are made easily available for a wider variety of devices, and best of all, restarting HASS does not restart Z2M but does restart ZHA. This matters if you do a lot of mucking about in config.yaml or use many different HACS addons (updating HACS addons often requires HASS restarts).

Both work though, so if you don’t have issues with ZHA, it’s probably not worthwhile to switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I found a Senseair S8 sensor in my electronics drawer. Pretty easy to calibrate after adding it to esphome. The numbers it spits out corresponds pretty well with how stuffy a room feels.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I've thought about getting a temp sensor because my room is in the basement where the rest of the house's hvac doesn't work as well for me... The idea is to set it up with a connection to a space heater (either smart, or ultra-dumb {mechanical switches turned to "always on" and then controlled via smart outlet}) so that i can keep it cooler in the night when i wanna be all cozy under my blankets, but have it stay warming up when it's time to get up so i can't use "ugh, but it's cold" as an excuse to stay in bed.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Crossposting from the selfhosting thread:

I have an Aranet4 I’d like to integrate into my smart home bullshit. I’m running home assistant in a docker container on a Debian box.

The Aranet uses Bluetooth to connect. I assume this means I need either:

Something near the Aranet connected to it by Bluetooth and feeding that data to my HA container, or

A really long Bluetooth antenna reaching from the server to the room where the Aranet is, then the HA instance should pick it up.

Has anyone succeeded in getting a Bluetooth device to work on home assistant like that or any other way? An aranet4 would be cool but I don’t imagine anyone else here is a mask-wearing pervert who cares about co2 levels like i do.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
You could look into a bluetooth proxy. I have a few ESP32 devices scattered about the house, effectively creating a bluetooth mesh network. Any bluetooth device in my house can connect to HA.

This is what I'm using: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08D5ZD528

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Another option would be a Bluetooth USB dongle and some kind of USB over Ethernet solution if you have network access near where your device is.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

TheDK posted:

You could look into a bluetooth proxy. I have a few ESP32 devices scattered about the house, effectively creating a bluetooth mesh network. Any bluetooth device in my house can connect to HA.

This is what I'm using: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08D5ZD528

Thanks! The esp32 stuff seems cool as hell so I’ll probably try to go that way. Really wish it worked with some RPi picos I have but oh well.

Tamba posted:

Another option would be a Bluetooth USB dongle and some kind of USB over Ethernet solution if you have network access near where your device is.

This is definitely what I was thinking of doing but the esp32s seem to be more in the spirit of what I’m setting up

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

tuyop posted:

Thanks! The esp32 stuff seems cool as hell so I’ll probably try to go that way. Really wish it worked with some RPi picos I have but oh well.

This is definitely what I was thinking of doing but the esp32s seem to be more in the spirit of what I’m setting up

Definitely do ESP32. You can get a 3-pack on Amazon for like $15 and even cheaper on Aliexpress. These project boxes are appropriately sized for the ESP32. There are probably even better/cheaper examples, but I had these lying around from a previous project.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Looks like all my door and window sensors are "DSC" sensors tied into the security system installed in the house. Some light searching didn't turn up much that was straightforward, most of it was about integration with the security system.

I'm not paying for the security system and haven't touched it since I moved in. Should I work down trying to use these wireless sensors already connected to the security system or look to rip and replace with zigbee zwave whatever.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

FunOne posted:

Looks like all my door and window sensors are "DSC" sensors tied into the security system installed in the house. Some light searching didn't turn up much that was straightforward, most of it was about integration with the security system.

I'm not paying for the security system and haven't touched it since I moved in. Should I work down trying to use these wireless sensors already connected to the security system or look to rip and replace with zigbee zwave whatever.

What are you trying to accomplish? And what model (presumably also DSC) panel is installed?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

FunOne posted:

Keep your sensors and look into Konnected or Envisalink (my preference). I use Envisalink with a Honeywell system and it worked great in Hubitat and now in Home Assistant.

Edit: If you want to be thrifty and are handy, there is also an ESP DSC alarm setup for Home Assistant. Very DIY but probably 1/10th the cost of Konnected or Envisalink.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

What are you trying to accomplish? And what model (presumably also DSC) panel is installed?

No model numbers I can see, it's all CPI branded.

Just want to be able to get all my home stuff into one place, a DIY security/ monitoring setup is the end goal. If I can get there with the existing wireless sensors then I would love to do it the lazy way, but if they're going to be a pain in the rear end I can certainly replace them.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

bobfather posted:

Definitely do ESP32. You can get a 3-pack on Amazon for like $15 and even cheaper on Aliexpress. These project boxes are appropriately sized for the ESP32. There are probably even better/cheaper examples, but I had these lying around from a previous project.

Sweet, found some Canadian equivalents. There are a lot of acronyms in these listings on Canazon, is there any significant difference between these two for the Bluetooth proxy job?

KeeYees Development Board 2.4 GHz Dual Core WLAN WiFi + Bluetooth 2-in-1 Microcontroller ESP-WROOM-32 Chip CP2102 for ESP32 for Arduino (2PCS) https://a.co/d/6JrhNKo

DIGISHUO 2Pcs ESP-WROOM-32 ESP32 ESP-32S Development Board 2.4GHz Dual-Mode WiFi + Bluetooth Dual Cores Microcontroller Processor Integrated with Antenna RF AMP Filter AP STA for Arduino IDE https://a.co/d/fyXvIl3

And this one doesn’t list Bluetooth. Are there like three sets of boards, WiFi, Bluetooth and WiFi+bluetooth or is the ad wrong or what?

3 Pieces ESP WROOM 32 ESP32 Development Board 2.4GHz WiFi Dual Cores Microcontroller Integrated with Antenna RF Low Noise Amplifiers Filters https://a.co/d/hVBu1JR

Edit: yeah at these prices I’m going with Ali express, holy poo poo

tuyop fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 14, 2023

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

tuyop posted:

Sweet, found some Canadian equivalents. There are a lot of acronyms in these listings on Canazon, is there any significant difference between these two for the Bluetooth proxy job?

KeeYees Development Board 2.4 GHz Dual Core WLAN WiFi + Bluetooth 2-in-1 Microcontroller ESP-WROOM-32 Chip CP2102 for ESP32 for Arduino (2PCS) https://a.co/d/6JrhNKo

DIGISHUO 2Pcs ESP-WROOM-32 ESP32 ESP-32S Development Board 2.4GHz Dual-Mode WiFi + Bluetooth Dual Cores Microcontroller Processor Integrated with Antenna RF AMP Filter AP STA for Arduino IDE https://a.co/d/fyXvIl3

And this one doesn’t list Bluetooth. Are there like three sets of boards, WiFi, Bluetooth and WiFi+bluetooth or is the ad wrong or what?

3 Pieces ESP WROOM 32 ESP32 Development Board 2.4GHz WiFi Dual Cores Microcontroller Integrated with Antenna RF Low Noise Amplifiers Filters https://a.co/d/hVBu1JR

Edit: yeah at these prices I’m going with Ali express, holy poo poo

I bought the WROOM ones from Amazon, but I was impatient. ESP32s are pretty easy and cheap to make. I'd not worry about getting a fake.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
I installed a reolink wireless video doorbell today. Pretty simple install and setup. Home Assistant picked it up immediately as I expected.

Now I am looking for options to make this work with my existing mechanical chime. Anyone here done this before? Initial searches are giving me solutions that involve relays and transformers.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
Mechanical chimes work off something insane like 6-24VAC. You could probably make it work with ESPHome and a relay board.
https://frenck.dev/diy-smart-doorbell-for-just-2-dollar/

Shalhavet fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 17, 2023

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Anyone use an Aqara cube in Homeassistant? If so is there a decent setup guide out there? Got one as a gift and just looking into it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

That Works posted:

Anyone use an Aqara cube in Homeassistant? If so is there a decent setup guide out there? Got one as a gift and just looking into it.

I use this automation blueprint and it works fine, although it took a few attempts to get it to pair initially.

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"
I’ve got a dozen of the Eve smart home blinds which had been HomeKit / thread. They’ve worked alright in home assistant and I then presented them back into HomeKit, however the thread integration has been iffy for me.

The new firmware is now matter compatible. I moved them all to the HomeKit thread network ( I have a few HomePod minis) and then added them back to home assistant via matter. Now I have the best of both worlds. Would recommend.

Now I just need level to add matter to my locks and everything will be in home assistant! I tried them with Bluetooth but the responsiveness was too slow, even with my Bluetooth proxies.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

TeMpLaR posted:

Now I just need level to add matter to my locks and everything will be in home assistant! I tried them with Bluetooth but the responsiveness was too slow, even with my Bluetooth proxies.

I bought a cheap Level Bolt because it was the only good solution for a smart lock in an outdoor pedestrian gate. It was unreliable on HomeKit, even with an Apple TV and HomePod Mini nearby as Bluetooth repeaters. So I made an ESP32 Bluetooth proxy, added the Level to Home Assistant, and now it works great almost all the time. Level have said they’ll add Matter support someday, but I’m not holding my breath!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Any reason not to upgrade from a TP Link Kasa smart plug to a Philips Hue one except for price?

The Kasa one drops off my 2.4GHz network from time to time probably because I’m in an apartment and it’s a flooded frequency. I have a Hue Hub so I assume that would fix that problem?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Speaking of, I have a couple TP Link smart plugs and the ones with native HomeKit support suck rear end. They constantly drop off my network, while my non-HK ones that I control via Homebridge work perfectly. Annoying.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 28, 2023

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Speaking of, I have a couple TP Link smart plugs and the ones with native HomeKit support suck rear end. They constantly drop off my network, while my non-HK knew that I control via Homebridge work perfectly. Annoying.

Replaced my (unreliable)TP-Link smart plugs with Sonoff ones and they've been rock solid.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index,' he said. 'Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.
Any recommendations for power monitoring smart plugs in the UK that can take the lead of a washing machine? I would like to use it to detect when the washing is finished.

bubblewrapsky
Nov 1, 2010

hogofwar posted:

Any recommendations for power monitoring smart plugs in the UK that can take the lead of a washing machine? I would like to use it to detect when the washing is finished.

I've used these with a dryer for the last year without issue: Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! £10.69 30%OFF | Athom Smart Home preflashed TASMOTA WiFi Plug Works With Home Assitant Electric Consumption Monitoring 16A UK Standard
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtLJoSg

Cheap and easy to integrate with HA

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

bubblewrapsky posted:

I've used these with a dryer for the last year without issue: Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! £10.69 30%OFF | Athom Smart Home preflashed TASMOTA WiFi Plug Works With Home Assitant Electric Consumption Monitoring 16A UK Standard

Just to be clear - if someone posts an affiliate link without being clear that's what they are doing then it will generate a probe. Hence why I probed the post I quoted.

bubblewrapsky
Nov 1, 2010

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Just to be clear - if someone posts an affiliate link without being clear that's what they are doing then it will generate a probe. Hence why I probed the post I quoted.

To be honest I had no idea it was a affiliate link, not sure if this is something AliExpress does automatically? If so, sorry I had no idea

Edit; if the previous poster is still interested. Don't use the link, but make sure you get the ones pre flashed with tasmota. These plugs are a nightmare to open and flash yourself

bubblewrapsky fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Dec 31, 2023

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

bubblewrapsky posted:

I bought a few of these. One of them, I was using to switch a space heater. The relay failed closed after a month of using one time per night.

I looked up the relays they use, and they're absolute dogshit-grade, and rated for 10A, not 16A like they claim.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
I discovered yesterday that ESPHome works on BK7231N/T devices now and that I can install it with tuya-cloudcutter, so now I gotta flash a dozen more Feit Electric bulbs.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

HolHorsejob posted:

I bought a few of these. One of them, I was using to switch a space heater. The relay failed closed after a month of using one time per night.

I looked up the relays they use, and they're absolute dogshit-grade, and rated for 10A, not 16A like they claim.

Isn’t it the standard to trust AliExpress electronics only support about half the load they claim?

Also, while I’ve done it I wouldn’t trust a space heater with anything that wasn’t a pretty expensive, high quality smart plug. Those things pull so much god down power at such a constant rate. They’ll melt extension cords, surge protector outlets, etc etc.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Isn’t it the standard to trust AliExpress electronics only support about half the load they claim?

Also, while I’ve done it I wouldn’t trust a space heater with anything that wasn’t a pretty expensive, high quality smart plug. Those things pull so much god down power at such a constant rate. They’ll melt extension cords, surge protector outlets, etc etc.

I figured they were a cut above the rest, since they were using ESP chips and offered their boards with a choice of firmware, instead of whatever even cheaper wifi MCU with closed-down firmware connecting to a lovely backend.

Normally I wouldn't use any consumer-grade automation to switch a space heater, but I was half-expecting something like this and I only used this space heater when I was in the room. I could also hear when it was on or off from the change in pitch of an air purifier on the same circuit.

The lesson I'm taking away from this is to just not use any consumer-grade automation with mechanical relays to switch high-power loads. I looked into other brands, and even philips hue smart outlets have the same failure mode.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Please do not use cheap Aliexpress or Temu plugs to control high-current draw devices.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 1, 2024

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Three Olives posted:

Please do not use cheap Aliexpress or Temu plugs to control high-current draw devices.
i am currently in you house, stealing all your tacky poo poo. happy 2024 you are being burglarized.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Couple questions:

1) i was considering building out a do-all server to run home assistant, frigate, and probably plex on, but that’s a lot of different data going in and out so I’m not sure if it’s possible to avoid bottlenecking on either the cpu or disk. Would prefer to buy nothing new except a coral device for Frigate

if I need a brand new system to achieve this then two physical systems it is.

2) does anyone know of a device or sensor that could be used to tell if orientation of the object they’re on changes? Use case is ancient house and when I have to support a sagging floor joist I’d like to know by how much and if it starts to move again

3) there are unmarked sensors on most of the windows from a proprietary security system that was long defunct when I moved in. Is there any point in trying to learn if I can interface with those as opposed to popping them off and installing something new?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

the yeti posted:

Couple questions:

1) i was considering building out a do-all server to run home assistant, frigate, and probably plex on, but that’s a lot of different data going in and out so I’m not sure if it’s possible to avoid bottlenecking on either the cpu or disk. Would prefer to buy nothing new except a coral device for Frigate

2) does anyone know of a device or sensor that could be used to tell if orientation of the object they’re on changes? Use case is ancient house and when I have to support a sagging floor joist I’d like to know by how much and if it starts to move again

3) there are unmarked sensors on most of the windows from a proprietary security system that was long defunct when I moved in. Is there any point in trying to learn if I can interface with those as opposed to popping them off and installing something new?

1. I run all that and more, virtualized on ESXi, on an Intel 10400 with 32gb of RAM.

2. Aqara makes a cheapish Zigbee tilt sensor and SmartThings make a slightly pricier model. Whatever sensor you buy, you could install it and note the baseline orientation, then write a simple HASS automation to notify you if the tilt sensor leaves that orientation.

3. If your security system is an older DSC or Honeywell system, Envisalink or Konnected sell products that can interface with that system and let you use the sensors. I use Envisalink with my Honeywell system and it has been rock solid.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

the yeti posted:

Couple questions:

Not familiar with Frigate, but for a while I ran HA and Jellyfin¹ on the same server, along with a whole bunch of other stuff (including a minecraft server, two different streaming music servers, etc), on spinning disks, and it was fine. HA doesn't actually require a lot of power, generally.

That said, HA really doesn't want to be run as a service or in a container, it wants a dedicated system and is happiest either on bare metal or in a VM. I ended up migrating it from a virtd VM on that server to a separate low-power proxmox host just to make it easier to administer.

¹ open-source Plex, basically

quote:

There's probably something off the shelf for this, but if not, you could hack one together with an ESP and a 3-axis solid-state accelerometer.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

the yeti posted:

Couple questions:

The bottleneck for data is extremely far from any use case like this. I built a second windows PC as a permanently-VPN'd server/torrent/plex/jellyfin/syncthing machine. It's really nice being able to leave something on VPN and to not have your main system being used for this stuff when you're also trying to play games or even turn it off at night and that kind of thing.

There's a NAS thread that is very good for figuring out your hardware requirements and just reading about these solutions.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

VelociBacon posted:

The bottleneck for data is extremely far from any use case like this. I built a second windows PC as a permanently-VPN'd server/torrent/plex/jellyfin/syncthing machine. It's really nice being able to leave something on VPN and to not have your main system being used for this stuff when you're also trying to play games or even turn it off at night and that kind of thing.

There's a NAS thread that is very good for figuring out your hardware requirements and just reading about these solutions.

Yeah. I use https://ca.protectli.com/ with ESXi 8 and 32gb of ram and a 1tb m.2 that runs pfsense, docker and paired it with a 70TB synology.

Thing is my router, plex, home assistant, docker, pihole, vpn, grafana, sab, *arr's. Works great, put it in about 9 months ago and never have to dick with it.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I'm like $500 deep into this:

Nothing I throw at it makes it even come close to like any utilization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

ToxicFrog posted:

two different streaming music servers

What are you running for these? I'm always on the look out for new streaming setups for music. I haven't found one I like enough.