Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ADudeWhoAbides
Mar 30, 2010

Geisladisk posted:

The also unfortunately named Gorgrunta Fur also works well for dark skin. Darkoath and Fireslayer flesh are also good for a medium non-caucasian skin if you put them on a bit thick.

That said the army painter speed paint line has a couple of good dark skin tones that actually have the word "skin" in them.

Was gun-shy on Speed Paint based on the initial release but have heard they got a lot better after a revision. Are the skin tones in the newer formulas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoll
Nov 12, 2011

The Demilich posted:

My first and only Iron Warriors tank. I think I still need to do.... something to the front. Not sure what though.

That look like the same model I used for my killtank kitbash.
Much easier just slapping plastic on til it looks lovely enough for orks, yours looks way more professional!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Necropolis really is good for what it is. It's pulpy schlock but if you want the nitty gritty stuff about living in the imperium of man, it's got all of that. Also guard get buck wheat porridge rations? I dunno what the author was trying to suggest there, but it sounds pretty drat good to me. Maybe the hell world twist is that butter is too expensive to include the average guardsman's ration, or salt.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
porridge is historically the lowest quality ration, since it can be made from unmilled grain and requires no other ingredients

40K has soylent green though

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Plain rear end porridge while on combat calorie expenditure sounds very much not good imo

Modern soldiers go through 3500-4000 kcal rations with actual protein and nutrients, and still lose weight

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

That's a really cool killdozer!

I just finished the Armoured Sentinel for my IG combat Patrol. I used an old half metal Sentinel and converted the plasma cannon out of a Kataphron plasma culverin.

Group shot:

I'm happy I managed to finish the whole project before the end of the year. I've managed to maintain a steady painting schedule all year and it's really putting a dent into my backlog! I had a hard time believing it when I first compiled the list. :)

My results for 2023 are:
-4 IG tanks
-a Sentinel
-2 field artillery
-23 various IG infantry (including characters)
-5 SM terminators
-3 SM characters
-2 AdMech characters
-a Culexus assassin

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Captain Magic posted:

These are baller dude, great job.

I think the Iron Warriors tank looks dope; if you were going to add anything to the front, I’m always a fan of sandbags on tanks and Tamiya sells them for cheap.

Sandbags are a good idea, I just ordered some off ebay

Decorus posted:

The Ork creations are just fantastic!

The Sturmtiger is a cool too, but something about the scale of the detail looks a bit off. The correct scale detail just doesn't quite match 40k "heroic" proportions.

I think exaggerating or hiding the Zimmerit detail and weld lines would help, and also swapping the hull MG for a beefier barrel. The tracks look fiddly compared to big chunky 40k ones, but I guess that would be really hard to change.

Even as is, you can probably use paint to exaggerate or hide some of the detail.

First of all, thank you for giving me the name of the model. Yeah, the scaling is iffy, but at the same time it was $8 so I'm not gong to complain too much, but the dissimilarity does bother me.
I'm really not sure how to alter the look of the tracks besides maybe side armor plating, but I have a feeling adding tread plates to cover the majority of the tracks will deepen the already anachronistic feel of the thing.

I agree about the barrel; I was thinking of having one of the huge munitions coming out of that stumpy barrel with a lot of cotton smoke to draw the eye away from the general stumpiness, but I'm not too sure it would work after everything is said and done. How long do you think the barrel should be in inches?

I'm also realizing I should rip off the two lights above the Iron Warriors icon and add them back like this instead:

moths posted:

This needs a big Halloween skull mantlet with the barrel coming out the mouth, IMO.

I had to look up what this is. I'm thinking maybe I could make the current stump into the mantlet? Then stick a new barrel out of it?

Gnoll posted:

That look like the same model I used for my killtank kitbash.
Much easier just slapping plastic on til it looks lovely enough for orks, yours looks way more professional!

That's drat good looking tank! Honestly my first desire was to orkify the thing, but I second guessed myself because I have no tanks and a bunch of termite drills for my Iron Warriors.
I guess if all fails I can admit defeat and just turn it into a looted tank.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

quote:

The Demilich posted:

First of all, thank you for giving me the name of the model. Yeah, the scaling is iffy, but at the same time it was $8 so I'm not gong to complain too much, but the dissimilarity does bother me.
I'm really not sure how to alter the look of the tracks besides maybe side armor plating, but I have a feeling adding tread plates to cover the majority of the tracks will deepen the already anachronistic feel of the thing.

I agree about the barrel; I was thinking of having one of the huge munitions coming out of that stumpy barrel with a lot of cotton smoke to draw the eye away from the general stumpiness, but I'm not too sure it would work after everything is said and done. How long do you think the barrel should be in inches?

Happy to help, I'm just glad my comments didn't come across as mean spirited.

Just looking at that picture, I think just removing the track that's hanging off the side would do much to hide the appearance of the tracks in general. Most of it is hidden under the track guards anyway. (You'd also have space for a big IW symbol :) )
I guess adding an armored skirt could deal with both the zimmerit sides and the rest of the visible track. Marine tanks all have that side armor, so it might help unify the look with future tank additions. It looks like it would be a significant project though, so maybe not worth it.

Are you planning to run this thing as a Vindicator? The main gun is basically the original inspiration for a Demolisher cannon, so no need to do any changes there. If you really wanted to, I guess you could add a spiky cock ring for it or something. ;) A few spikes here and there might help sell the Chaos aspect too.

Just swapping the hull mg out for a combi-bolter would solve that size discrepancy.

As a final suggestion, you might want to enlarge the roof hatch so a space marine actually could fit through it. I suspect it might be quite tight as is. :)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The only thing you need to make it IW is to paint it grey and slap hazard stripes on it. The spikey stuff is optional and even unwanted at times.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

The Demilich posted:

I'm also realizing I should rip off the two lights above the Iron Warriors icon and add them back like this instead:

I had to look up what this is. I'm thinking maybe I could make the current stump into the mantlet? Then stick a new barrel out of it?

That's drat good looking tank! Honestly my first desire was to orkify the thing, but I second guessed myself because I have no tanks and a bunch of termite drills for my Iron Warriors.
I guess if all fails I can admit defeat and just turn it into a looted tank.

The barrel could definitely use some kind of chaosy gubbins I agree. I don’t have any good suggestions- it is just so flat compared to the rest. The stubbiness works, imo it shows in 40knand in irl early assault guns. Hell maybe hazard stripes would be enough.

Otherwise yeah it’s the tracks and zimmerit look very historical mini not cartoon 40k. It will look great painted as is, but if you want to do more yeah I think the easiest way to 40k up the tracks would be to cover the road wheels with some armour plating. And the zimmerit bits honestly suit IW, but they again are more realistic scale Probably could fix it in painting, plus just paint the spare track on the sides as some random poo poo or space ablative armour or something rather than as tracks. I think armour over the road wheels and something on the zimmerit would make me forget it’s a Sturmtiger.

All this is optional though, I’m armchair converting someone way better than me :)

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Plain rear end porridge while on combat calorie expenditure sounds very much not good imo

Modern soldiers go through 3500-4000 kcal rations with actual protein and nutrients, and still lose weight

I think it makes sense to see the Guard as more like soldiers in the American Civil War; they're half-starved and miserable, having to eat lovely biscuits to stay alive because the Munitorium doesn't consider anything more than the most basic nutrition necessary for someone with such a short expected lifespan.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Endman posted:

I think it makes sense to see the Guard as more like soldiers in the American Civil War; they're half-starved and miserable, having to eat lovely biscuits to stay alive because the Munitorium doesn't consider anything more than the most basic nutrition necessary for someone with such a short expected lifespan.

The cool thing is that you can decide what Your Guys are. There are dogshit regiments that eat gruel in the guard and there are fancy boys in the nepotism regiment from planet old money who get steak and lobster in their front line rations

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I just spent 40 minutes trying to bisect a free Malcador tank tread to get rid of the interior detail that I don't need to help speed up from printing the things, and then closing the gaping hole in blender.

I also found a free Sturmtiger model to do an in-slicer size comparison to make the treads bigger so they'll actually fit.

All in all a huge pain in the rear end lol

I think I got it but I can really only print one side at a time and it'll take 15 hours each 😭
I guess I'll start tomorrow and see how it goes.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
When's the next Points/Balance sheets supposed to come out?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Endman posted:

Oh yes it sure makes sense for the Imperium. Just saying, buckwheat porridge rations for a day of painting ain’t as nice as buckwheat porridge for a day of space combat.

Geisladisk posted:

The cool thing is that you can decide what Your Guys are. There are dogshit regiments that eat gruel in the guard and there are fancy boys in the nepotism regiment from planet old money who get steak and lobster in their front line rations

I wish they’d go back to at least two guard ranges. New catachans, expanded krieg, my ideal valhallans, vostroyans, praetorians, or mordians for the real fancy lads…

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 14, 2023

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

That's exactly why I said you have to add butter to it.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Archenteron posted:

When's the next Points/Balance sheets supposed to come out?

Sometime in January I think

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Lostconfused posted:

That's exactly why I said you have to add butter to it.

I’m the guardsman checking his rations

“What? Seems like it’s just plain gruel? We’ve got some nutrio-tabs and eagle gum? What’s butter?”

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

An enterprising guardsman should know how to make porridge out of an axe.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
I wouldn't be surprised if whatever grain used is some nutritonally complete Monsanto-like freak that practically grows in the dark.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Really glad these videos are coming out, just to get their perspective https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkM9Y3agV_I

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Testikles posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if whatever grain used is some nutritonally complete Monsanto-like freak that practically grows in the dark.

The Boyar system, comprised of multiple agri worlds (the 1st and 3rd, Boyar A and Boyar C) and the 4th being a forge world, is considered an absolute vital strategic asset for the Astra militarum, and has been the site of no less than 6 incursions by multiple factions, both heretic and xenos. Many speculate as to why, bit the most prevalent theory is data outlining the location of a relic known as The Meal of Hungry Men.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

ADudeWhoAbides posted:

Was gun-shy on Speed Paint based on the initial release but have heard they got a lot better after a revision. Are the skin tones in the newer formulas?

Yes. I've actually been finding a lot of success with combining their Dark Wood and Warrior Flesh speedpaints in different ratios for my Celestial Lions.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

ADudeWhoAbides posted:

Some friends and I recently did a Combat Patrol exchange to get some variety in our group. I ended up with Guard and the person who got the box went a little nuts and got me two extra Sentinel boxes and a Kasrkin box, so it looks like I'm starting a Guard army!

I want to make them really representative of humanity, which means a wide range of skin tones. Given the number of bodies involved, I'm going to be using the "slapchop" (or whatever current name) method to knock them out, which worked great on some KT kriegers before. Which I wish I hadn't sold now...

Are there good sources on which contrast paints work well for non-caucasian skin tones?

Army Painter has several skin tones, ranging from pale pink to dark black and they all work pretty well. I think the 2.0 SpeedPaints are streets ahead of Contrast, in general.

That said, the best luck I've had with skin tones are Pro Acryl flesh colors. They all look great, and have more warmth by default than Citadel paints. They work great as undercoats for the SpeedPaints, too.

ADudeWhoAbides posted:

Yes, they're all the new formula.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Dec 14, 2023

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Torchlighter posted:

The Boyar system, comprised of multiple agri worlds (the 1st and 3rd, Boyar A and Boyar C) and the 4th being a forge world, is considered an absolute vital strategic asset for the Astra militarum, and has been the site of no less than 6 incursions by multiple factions, both heretic and xenos. Many speculate as to why, bit the most prevalent theory is data outlining the location of a relic known as The Meal of Hungry Men.

Boyar D is home to Chefs renown throughout the Imperium, most of the chefs are humble and instead of using their own name simply go by the title of their planet.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

The Demilich posted:

I just spent 40 minutes trying to bisect a free Malcador tank tread to get rid of the interior detail that I don't need to help speed up from printing the things, and then closing the gaping hole in blender.

I also found a free Sturmtiger model to do an in-slicer size comparison to make the treads bigger so they'll actually fit.

All in all a huge pain in the rear end lol

I think I got it but I can really only print one side at a time and it'll take 15 hours each 😭
I guess I'll start tomorrow and see how it goes.

A Sturmtiger on Malcador tracks is going to look amazing! I can't wait to see that monstrosity. :)

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Testikles posted:

Guardsmen die in combat before the nutritional deficit has any impact.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

After enough guardsmen die, corpse starch rations always start showing up again.

:iiam:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Torchlighter posted:

Fantastic. In posting it to my friends I saw the joke about the forge world, nice.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Ashcans posted:

Guardsmen die in combat before the nutritional deficit has any impact.

You're not factoring in the long campaign to round everybody on to transports, organize them, and then getting lost in the warp for so long your army shows up decades after you were supposed to show up.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
Soup kitchen objective markers for the starving troops could look pretty cool. Paired with the general's drinks cabinet and stuff like that. :)

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Testikles posted:

You're not factoring in the long campaign to round everybody on to transports, organize them, and then getting lost in the warp for so long your army shows up decades after you were supposed to show up.

Dammit, it's always the logistics that get you :argh:

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Decorus posted:

Soup kitchen objective markers for the starving troops could look pretty cool. Paired with the general's drinks cabinet and stuff like that. :)

It’d pair well with servo skulls - launching a desperate assault to move the general’s drinks cabinet 6 inches closer to the enemy.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

ro5s posted:

It’d pair well with servo skulls - launching a desperate assault to move the general’s drinks cabinet 6 inches closer to the enemy.

This reads as a weird extended animal house style prank where those boys from Unit C Fourth Platoon are pranking the mean commissar by giving the enemy his alcohol

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007
Talking about LGS if you are in the Detroit/Ann Arbor area there’s a place that offers a flat 20% off on all games workshop stuff. I try to buy everything through there if I can, they don’t have the hugest selection and take some time to get your special orders out but it’s saved me so much money getting into the hobby this last year. My coworker who has been shopping there for years for magic and is one of the dudes I got into warhammer with last year knows the store guys and apparently they pretty much sell warhammer poo poo as low as they can just to get other people into the game… magic makes the shop all its money and the warhammer stuff is more for the dudes who run the store. Loot Card Shop in Brighton, tiny little hole in the wall but hell check it out if you’re in the area

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Rumor engine put out a storm bolter with the Astra Militarium skull on it.

Yarrick had a storm bolter.

E:

moths fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 14, 2023

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Can't believe we're getting plastic Steel Legion before new Warp Spiders.
/s :v:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

As cool as Custodes are, they only have two poses. Guy holding his weapon vertically, and guy holding his weapon horizontally.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

Can't believe we're getting plastic Steel Legion before new Warp Spiders.
/s :v:

new plastic squats came before warp spiders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

That is true.