Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Justin Credible posted:

They and people can do anything they want. It would be on the potential employee to pursue that case, and it would have to be proved.

This is really what I was worried about. When you're working for jackasses, do you want to bet your next job that they won't be jackasses at reference time, and/or that your lawyer will beat up their lawyers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Susat posted:

Yeah I actually changed my mind, I'm gonna just peaceski on Monday after they start, I think. It might suck a little financially for a bit just because I don't know when the pay period is gonna be, but going fulltime at this new job instead of half days when I'm essentially leading a ghost town of a shift here isn't going to matter.

Good for you. Plus, it's nice to give yourself a little mental break to reset between jobs. It can get harder and harder not to bring that baggage from place to place.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Internet Explorer posted:

bring that baggage from place to place.

See his username, good thing you won't have to deal with that poo poo.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Susat posted:

Yeah I actually changed my mind, I'm gonna just peaceski on Monday after they start, I think. It might suck a little financially for a bit just because I don't know when the pay period is gonna be, but going fulltime at this new job instead of half days when I'm essentially leading a ghost town of a shift here isn't going to matter.

Unless you absolutely need the money from the rest of the week just hit the bricks

You owe them nothing and they suck

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

:yotj:

Told my team and colleagues today so I guess it's official. More money, less responsibility, free Masters degree, what's not to like? I'll be the senior sysadmin focusing on O365 but there's still an onprem DC so who knows. Being small-time academia it will almost certainly end up being more of a generalist role.

Really going to miss my current school though, great people and mission. No more board reports or cabinet meetings, at least for now. Back to IC for me, with a CISO that has yet to be hired..

Congrats susat! Enjoy your resignation

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
One month into my new job. Still not exactly sure what the long term plan is for me, not sure who my real manager is, only just got my stuff for remote work but still have to drive down daily to random hospitals. I'm sure the work will soon ramp up to untenable levels but for now it's super chill and it is great to go in every day and know I won't have to calibrate power supplies, chaff testers, ratio transformers, or fume hoods

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Susat posted:

Spine: 1 lovely ex-job: 0

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CloFan posted:

:yotj:

Told my team and colleagues today so I guess it's official. More money, less responsibility, free Masters degree, what's not to like?

YOTJ! YOTJ!
*banging on desk*
YOTJ!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It's been 3 months now since I got sorta-fired and maaaaan, I really miss VSCode.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
There's better editors out there, like the power shell ISE or notepad.exe

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
your AARP card is in the mail tokin

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Hell yeah time to do ageism to everyone under 40 legally

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I don't know when exactly Slack added Channel Managers as a feature, but it never ceases to amaze me that as soon as they did, everyone at my access-request-brained workplace took it to mean that Slack had added some massive RBAC system and now finally everything could and had to go through a sclerotic access request process.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Hughmoris posted:

Thanks for all the Active Directory insights and advice.

Purposefully light on details here but my position was dissolved. My employer said I can keep my nice paycheck but I'll have to transition to a different team that was short on manpower. Part of my duties on $newTeam is getting comfortable with Active Directory.

The pay and benefits are too nice to just toss away so it looks like I'll be learning some AD for now. My impression from you lot is learn enough to do the job but extra energy would be better spent on things like Azure AD, Entra ID, Intune etc...

Makes sense. I can't speak for the O'Reilly book in question but if your new team is heavy on AD, it sounds like you're in one of the big corps where AD is indeed still core and valuable.

If you want to future-proof your AD, make sure you understand Kerberos basics, service principals, ID providers, and other parts related to identity. That dovetails very well with cloud stuff and I found it good to know as I moved into Azure from on-prem. Of course, all the other parts are useful, but those would help.

If your bigcorp still includes WINS as part of the AD team core responsibilities, let's chat, because I probably know what bigcorp you are at.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!
Well, turned a firing into a hiring elsewhere. A client asked me what was up, was offended at my $17/hr pay, and pulled connections with the city to get me an interview for a Traffic Signal Technician position, courses included, and then tipped me $100.

Interview's on Monday. Meanwhile, back at the office, they realized they have no one to do my job, and tried to gaslight me by saying the letter asking me to quit if I was unsatisfied with my pay and company's direction, immediately following the conversation where he said it will NEVER go up, wasn't an effective firing letter.

If you aren't making changes to what's pissing me off, I'm not going to magically become "satisfied."

Morons.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!
I'll use the extra money and time to learn to code.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

Well, turned a firing into a hiring elsewhere. A client asked me what was up, was offended at my $17/hr pay, and pulled connections with the city to get me an interview for a Traffic Signal Technician position, courses included, and then tipped me $100.

Interview's on Monday. Meanwhile, back at the office, they realized they have no one to do my job, and tried to gaslight me by saying the letter asking me to quit if I was unsatisfied with my pay and company's direction, immediately following the conversation where he said it will NEVER go up, wasn't an effective firing letter.

If you aren't making changes to what's pissing me off, I'm not going to magically become "satisfied."

Morons.

The gall of these people. Congrats on your interview and good riddance.

Sounds like another great place to not give notice. Just don’t come in after your next pay check. Ghost those assholes.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Not quitting was one of the best decisions I made. When they laid me off I got 6 months pay and was told to keep any equipment I had at home. Little did they know I had a dozen laptops in my trunk I was going to deliver to a site the very next day. It's been a year (a year last month to be exact) and they still never asked for them back.

I guess that is what happens when the IT manager magically retires after a month and their main tech also gets laid off.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
I got to keep a bunch of to-be-recycled equipment that I ended up using as a homelab or spares including 15 SAS 2tb server drives. Had about a decade of use but I only wanted 3 lol

Also scored a few 4th gen intel Zotac machines and a few with passive cooling.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

we're retiring some older laptops so I hope I'll be able to grab one before I escape

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Darchangel posted:

By law, companies are not allowed to give qualitative commentary when checking references, just yes, they worked here, and yes it was this date to that. I'm sure they can say it in such a way as to cast shade, but they can't outright poo poo-talk an ex-employee.

So I've been through this, and unless you have the money to subpoena two separate email systems and/or get a video recording of the previous employer poo poo talking you, its very difficult/expensive to prove in court.

Internet Explorer posted:

Good for you. Plus, it's nice to give yourself a little mental break to reset between jobs. It can get harder and harder not to bring that baggage from place to place.

:hmmyes: I am way too guilty of doing this. Can IT work give you PTSD?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
9 years ago I got a new job at a different department at my University. I was not doing well mentally at my previous department, but I didn't realize how bad it was until I'd had a year of much better conditions to sort of mentally unpack everything. Then a few years ago I had a project where I had to have a video meeting with some people from my previous department, and I'm pretty sure I had some kind of trauma triggered panic or anxiety attack. So yeah, I think you can get PTSD from a bad employer, especially when you stick it out too long.

A lesson I absolutely did not learn, and I know it's gonna take me a while to mentally decompress once I leave my current position.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Vampire Panties posted:

I'm not qualified to speak on PTSD, but for burnout yes and absolutely. That's one of the reasons staying at a lovely place is such a bad idea. You pick up all the bad habits and burnout and take them with you. Can take a good long time to work through that.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Not a therapist, but there are a couple of posters here that describe ptsd style symptoms.

Specifically thinking of the goon that worked at an xbox live call center.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

also not a therapist but i do have a diagnosis and my answer is yes, absolutely

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I'm still working through some of the poo poo from $shitjob and I've worked at a much better place for almost 2 years now.

Hell, we just had a thing after lunch today because it's my 40th birthday next Thursday and I would be on vacation by then. Feels good to be appreciated. Also got cake (enough for our whole division, lol), wine and a gift card :haw:

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
I'm deffo traumatized by a previous terrible boss and the circumstances under which I left that job. I really need to eventually work through it with a therapist.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Vampire Panties posted:

So I've been through this, and unless you have the money to subpoena two separate email systems and/or get a video recording of the previous employer poo poo talking you, its very difficult/expensive to prove in court.

I worked at a budget webhost that used to stress me out so bad that I packed a toothbrush for the anxiety barf. The problem with places like that is you spend so much time on overtime and keeping your head above the water that job hunting takes more gas than you have in the tank.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Vampire Panties posted:

Can IT work give you PTSD?

Not a therapist, but in about 80% seriousness, if you can easily and unironically hear the first few bars of "The End" by the Doors playing over a work memory, and it doesn't give you a chuckle, then the answer is yes.

"I wanted a career, and for my sins, they gave me one."

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Vampire Panties posted:

A bad manager once upon a time sure did with relentless sexual harassment! got fired for reporting it, sat on my rear end for 6 months after the settlement. eventually started doing cloud bullshit and with the power of amazon web services and therapy got back into the saddle. Super not fun! First and only time I ever had to ask for money from my parents after college.

As ever, the problem isn’t the work, the problem is the people who make the workplace untenable.

obviously I chalked up the extended time off to “freelance consulting”. not a story I share during interviews!

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

MJP posted:

Not a therapist, but in about 80% seriousness, if you can easily and unironically hear the first few bars of "The End" by the Doors playing over a work memory, and it doesn't give you a chuckle, then the answer is yes.

"I wanted a career, and for my sins, they gave me one."

Nah. Nine inch nails every day is exactly the same

When that’s your song on your drive into the work then you quit

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

My boss has vetoed single sign on because it's insecure when I suggested it would help us deal with less tickets

Why? "users always reuse passwords"

I don't think my boss knows what SSO is

Kill me

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Can you sell SSO + MFA?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

We already have mfa

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I've worked at a few places where I was always really impressed that they managed to make the wrong decision higher than 50% of the time. Sounds like your place bars closer to 100%.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Got a text after I got home from work, presumably from an employee at my job, asking me if I could help them after hours with an issue they were having while they were on a conference call.

Told them not to text my personal number (which I never give out to begin with) ever again and to call the on-call number if it was an emergency.

It ended up being someone attempting to spear phish myself and a couple of other people. :lol: See? Setting work/life boundaries is good for infosec too.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 15, 2023

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green
Holy poo poo I have made waves by inspiring other people to go as I do and caused an accidental mutiny

This is developing and I'll update tomorrow

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

This thread seriously discussed learning AD for like three pages in what is almost the year 2024 :psyduck:

And yes, I mean, I know it's still in use at a ton of places and there's reasons you might want to get familiar with it, but still, seems very much like diving headlong into a dying industry. The death may take 20 years and it will never truly die (there's still companies using Lotus Notes and Novell, right? Not to mention Fortran & COBOL hanging on in finance), but who would choose to go into AD work at this point if there's any other option?

We've got two AD environments left and thank Christ one of them is finally going away next year, ideally April but probably summer. The other is a tiny client that hates change but whatever, I mostly don't deal with them. Other than that it's all Entra all the time and I love it, other than the annoyances of clients who insist on using Google Workspace which can suck an entire bag of dicks. And Microsoft doing stupid renames.

Don't get me wrong, I liked and still like AD for a lot of reasons, but these days with remote work and cloud-first approaches it's just extra effort and pain to have all of that sitting on local infrastructure (even that "local" infrastructure is VMs on AWS), needing to be maintained, and back-ending all of your cloud identity.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

We put the AD in ADD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Please excuse the purposeful double post but I didn't want to lump this in too much with the AD talk - not sure if this was posted, but Microsoft is finally moving to fix Windows printing permanently:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/security-compliance-and-identity/a-new-modern-and-secure-print-experience-from-windows/ba-p/4002645

Basically expanding IPP and making it the default print experience, and most importantly, getting rid of third party drivers.

If they can for once embrace their inner Apple and tell the printer manufacturers "you're doing it our way or your poo poo just won't loving work kthxbye", that'd be real nice. I mean, assuming all this works decently. Who knows, maybe "gently caress printers" might fall out of the top three of IT rules.

hahaha no it won't gently caress all printers forever