Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Centrist Committee posted:

More of a build vs. buy question. I haven’t needed to worry about hardware for years. But now I’d like to play around LLMs and possibly diffusion models locally. I can kind of get smaller versions of the latter to run but it’s very slow on my intel era Mac.

My question is, is it cheaper to build something or look for a newer used Mac? I take it RAM is important but I’ve completely lost the plot on GPUs these days.

I take it renting server time is not something you want to do with your LLM play time? Because that would be the much cheaper play, especially since these models love VRAM and the cards that are fast enough with enough VRAM tend to be very expensive such that renting time on someone else's machine might make more sense for casual use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Does iBuyPower or some other company sell a prebuilt model that's roughly equivalent to the enthusiast models recommended by pcpartpicker?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Does iBuyPower or some other company sell a prebuilt model that's roughly equivalent to the enthusiast models recommended by pcpartpicker?

Gamers nexus has reviewed some prebuilts in the last couple of years. I don't think ibuypower was recommended. Here is a playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsuVSmND84QuM2HKzG7ipbIbE_R5EnCLM

I watched most of these when they put them out but don't have the time to rewatch that much stuff. I think from the video titles they liked Maingear, ABS, Skytech, with ASUS and PowerSpec being okay. I'd check the videos for the specific model before buying anything, they look over the whole thing and each brand will have multiple lines of computer.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I assume "no" but is there any indication we'll see a 7800x3d successor in the next six months?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

No. We might see Zen 5-based non-X3D chips in that timeframe, but most probably not an X3D chip.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Outside of Micro Center? No.

OEM manufacturers, and even "System Integrators" (the term for folks who these days use all the same off-the-shelf parts) will charge more simply to cover the costs of assembly, and then will try to make as much more money as they can, up to what the market will bear. Oftentimes they'll also replace the original part warranties with their own, much shorter warranty. Most crucially, though, they will make a compromise on the system somewhere in order to save money.

Let's take an example I immediately found on Newegg.

https://www.newegg.com/msi-aegis-r-13nue-458us/p/N82E16883151281

This is right about the same amount I spent on my new, slightly excessive system build. This system is currently on a "holiday sale", and I got Black Friday prices for a lot of my components, so the prices should be reasonably comparable. And for ~$40 more than what I paid for my DIY build, you get:

- A less capable processor (the 13700 non-K has pretty capable boost clocks and is still effectively a 16-core CPU, but it lacks ~3D V-Cache~ and is a locked part, so it can't be overclocked)
- The same graphics card, so who cares there, manufacturer differences are tiny these days outside of edge cases
- Half as much RAM clocked significantly slower, and with exciting mystery timings (read: almost certainly worse and cheaper) as opposed to the reasonably good timings my selected RAM kit has; at least they have the decency to ensure it's dual-channel
- An equal-size, but slower, NVMe primary SSD (which is still probably fast enough for most uses, but it still doesn't have the speed the motherboard is capable of supporting, even)
- A less-powerful PSU from a mystery manufacturer (probably MSI itself) instead of a vetted one
- A motherboard I'm not a huge fan of - for a 2023 board (and built on the most recent Intel chipset!), it has only a few m.2 slots and wastes a lot of space on PCIe slots that most users aren't likely to use in TYOOL 2023; it has comparable LAN capacity to my build and good audio output options, at least
- The case is also fairly dodgy, as MSI doggedly refuses to learn lessons about airflow despite years of criticism (and thermals in a higher-end Raptor Lake case are going to matter, especially when paired with a reasonably capable GPU)
-- Relatedly, the product pictures, if accurate, look like they have a pretty anemic cooler on a part that can draw as much as 200 watts when going all out

So you end up paying more money for a larger, less powerful machine that most pointedly is skimping very heavily on RAM. While it turns out that, especially when likely paired with a good SSD, a lot of games actually don't mind low RAM as much as you'd think so long as it's dual-channel, I still cannot help but feel that RAM configuration is going to begin feeling very cursed sooner rather than later. When combined with everything else, it's really just not worth the asking price. (And the MSRP asking price for it is absolute :laffo: territory.)

The reason I brought up Micro Center as an exception is that their PC "pre-builts" are often assembled out of older stock that they'd like to clear away. This means you can often get wicked deals for what's on offer (like 5600X3D systems going for less than a thousand dollars earlier). You still need to do some comparative shopping, and it pays to ask about the parts involved, but Micro Center's PowerSpec builds are often fairly worthwhile, both as PCs themselves and as upgrade platforms where you flog off certain parts on eBay and do some upgrading yourself. You still have to put up with an often-shorter unified warranty rather than a per-part warranty, but as the parts are what were on sale anyway, they're usually just as good and reliable as what you'd buy otherwise. (It's often a similar story with mom-and-pop PC shop builds, but those small indie PC shops have been struggling for years now - the one that built the PC I launched my career on, years back, shut down in early 2017. :smith: Still, if you can find a good shop, they'll often have nice deals on self-assembled PCs with older stock.)

Ultimately, it is your money to spend how you wish, and if you don't want to have to think about assembling a PC yourself, that's valid; but, as has always been the case, you will have a lot more control over the process and part selection if you do it yourself, along with often superior warranties.

EDIT: Reconsidering the question itself, yes, the point is that OEMs and SIs do sell systems of comparative specs to DIY "enthusiast" builds. But you are going to pay a massive premium compared to simply assembling the parts yourself.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 14, 2023

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
The reason to buy a pre built is for the assembly and support. If the support sucks, don’t buy it. Yes, you will pay more.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Kibner posted:

I take it renting server time is not something you want to do with your LLM play time? Because that would be the much cheaper play, especially since these models love VRAM and the cards that are fast enough with enough VRAM tend to be very expensive such that renting time on someone else's machine might make more sense for casual use.

Cost is definitely a factor. If I can build something for like $500 or so that’s one thing, but if I’d need a $5000 GPU or $3000 Mac that’s something else entirely. I’ve been out of the hardware scene for so long that I can’t sort through the marketing and the reality.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s going to be well north of $500 I can tell you that for sure. Probably a decent bit over $1k tbh

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
:cheerdoge:

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

As a computer fixer, please don't buy cyberpower.
I have seen them come in perfectly fine boxes with padding but the desktop inside shattered and dented
I have seen fan cables loose enough the are in neighboring fans
I have seen too much adata drives and worse DOA

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Centrist Committee posted:

Cost is definitely a factor. If I can build something for like $500 or so that’s one thing, but if I’d need a $5000 GPU or $3000 Mac that’s something else entirely. I’ve been out of the hardware scene for so long that I can’t sort through the marketing and the reality.

It’s best to just ignore the marketing altogether, it’s almost always BS. Check out YouTube for channels like Gamers Nexus which has fairly easy to digest “Best of” hardware videos that are good primers for getting acclimated to current hardware.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Bloopsy posted:

It’s best to just ignore the marketing altogether, it’s almost always BS. Check out YouTube for channels like Gamers Nexus which has fairly easy to digest “Best of” hardware videos that are good primers for getting acclimated to current hardware.

They want to do LLM stuff, though, which isn’t really covered much by GN. LLM generally wants at least 16GB cards and those are expensive (Nvidia) or don’t support the more popular GPGPU languages like CUDA (AMD).

For gaming and most other content creation stuff, GN is great! Just not for LLM/AI stuff.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Need a quick hit for 2x PCs for kids gaming. I'm getting overwhelmed with reading the differences in the radeon series vs the Nvidia I am more familiar with. I am also way out of the loop on if AMD is the better budge option vs Intel being the longer term powerhouse.

Looking for $1000 total for 2, sans monitor, kb, mouse.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($131.63 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: *ASRock B550M-HDV Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: *Timetec PINNACLE Konduit 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($35.99 @ Newegg Sellers)
Storage: *Mushkin Pilot-E 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($46.74 @ Newegg)
Video Card: ASRock Challenger D Radeon RX 6600 8 GB Video Card ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($42.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: *Apevia Prestige 600 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($51.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $589.31

I am not familiar with any bottleneck specs on processor x will bottleneck on gpu y. Max 1440 gaming on steam warthunder, etc / minecraft

The only other exception is that i'll bring the kids up to microcenter to grab a case of their choosing, so yes i am also near there too

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Roundboy posted:

Need a quick hit for 2x PCs for kids gaming. I'm getting overwhelmed with reading the differences in the radeon series vs the Nvidia I am more familiar with. I am also way out of the loop on if AMD is the better budge option vs Intel being the longer term powerhouse.

To be clear, you're looking to build two identical PCs (to avoid bickering over PC superiority, I take it?)

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Since you're near a Microcenter and working on a tight budget then get two of these bundles for your build foundations - they should give you tons of performance headroom for gaming without breaking the bank

It also might benefit you a little to wait for year-end / new years sales, if the kids can stand a little delayed gratification they could end up with much more potent, long lived machines for the same price

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Roundboy posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: *Timetec PINNACLE Konduit 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($35.99 @ Newegg Sellers)
Storage: *Mushkin Pilot-E 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($46.74 @ Newegg)
Video Card: ASRock Challenger D Radeon RX 6600 8 GB Video Card ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: *Apevia Prestige 600 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($51.99 @ Amazon)

I am not familiar with any bottleneck specs on processor x will bottleneck on gpu y. Max 1440 gaming on steam warthunder, etc / minecraft

The only other exception is that i'll bring the kids up to microcenter to grab a case of their choosing, so yes i am also near there too

It's incredibly cheap to get more RAM right now, although 32GB won't help in game FPS it'll help load times and general responsiveness and it's just so cheap. You might consider that unless you get a bundle.

You might look at your local Microcenter bundles and see how much you could get a bundle for. It looks like the the 5600X3D bundle is about $60 more than your current CPU/MB/RAM, but it comes with a slightly nicer motherboard and CPU that should run games significantly better than a 5600G.

Looks pretty solid all around though.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

DoombatINC posted:

Since you're near a Microcenter and working on a tight budget then get two of these bundles for your build foundations - they should give you tons of performance headroom for gaming without breaking the bank

It also might benefit you a little to wait for year-end / new years sales, if the kids can stand a little delayed gratification they could end up with much more potent, long lived machines for the same price

I think this is the way. If you absolutely must keep it under $500, then you may have to make some hard concessions about the GPU or storage, but if you're willing to go a little over and you need to do shopping with the current prices, something shaped like this, prices all being from Micro Center (5600X standing in for X3D) plus an SA Mart Windows install, should be extremely satisfying and fun for your kiddos. There's some room to slash down on the GPU and storage, still, but your kids might start running into VRAM or storage issues if you go cheaper.

If the budget was a bit higher you could get an AM5 system core bundle and have tons of future upgrade options for when they get older, but $500-600 has always been a real rough spot for new systems, and "old" stuff is going to be a lot cheaper.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 14, 2023

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Roundboy posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

$500 each is pretty tight, but I do recommend going with a 5600X3D for the CPU over the 5600G. This is a build that comes in at $653, using entirely parts that are available at Micro Center using the bundle that Doombat linked. I'm not sure where else to cut that will lower the price reasonably without seriously hurting performance.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X3D 3.3 GHz 6-Core Processor ($299.99)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II ATX AM4 Motherboard ($0.00)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($0.00)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99)
Custom: Inland X1 Tempered Glass ATX Mid-Tower Computer Case - Black ($39.99)
Custom: Inland QN322 1TB SSD NVMe PCIe Gen 3.0x4 M.2 2280 3D NAND QLC Internal Solid State Drive ($47.99)
Custom: DeepCool AG400 ARGB Single-Tower CPU Cooler - Black ($24.99)
Custom: PowerColor Radeon RX 5700 Red Dragon Overclocked Dual-Fan 8GB GDDR6 PCIe 4.0 Graphics Card (Refurbished) ($179.99)
Total: $652.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-12-14 16:36 EST-0500

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Oh and I just checked, and the 5600X3D doesn't come with a stock cooler, so you might need to budget another ~$15-20 or so per PC to get some inexpensive tower coolers like the Thermalright Assassin King or ID-Cooling SE-214-XT

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

DoombatINC posted:

Oh and I just checked, and the 5600X3D doesn't come with a stock cooler, so you might need to budget another ~$15-20 or so per PC to get some inexpensive tower coolers like the Thermalright Assassin King or ID-Cooling SE-214-XT

Micro Center has the DeepCool AG400 and El Classico 212 available for $25 each.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Other option is two $400 Steam Decks and two $80 Docks.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
My dad would like a new desktop. He mostly uses it for web browsing, personal finances and bookkeeping, and storing lots and lots of photos. Should I bother pricing out a build or just suggest him a prebuilt?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Yeah current kids PC died, and kid1 askes to occasionally use my Uber:Comp for his games. Now kid 2 mentioned he wants to pc game as well. So, 2 identical builds 'good enough' that i can upgrade if need be.

I dont need 4090 i9 monsters. and my current price list was based on PC part picker budget lists. but there is SO much room when you consider bundles, or $30 more cpu gets you 2x more performance ,etc.

Looking over all the responses, thanks!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Roundboy posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

I don't think you can really cut this down to $500 without making significant sacrifices to gaming performance. Also, I know people have recommended the 5600X3D, but I think that extra performance is kind of wasted when paired with an RX6600. I don't know if it's worth it, to be honest. On the other hand, the 5600G has a downgraded CPU with reduced cache and no PCIe 4 support. I would get a 5600 instead, which is another 6-core Zen 3 processor, but with more cache and PCIe 4 support. The downside is that it lacks an integrated GPU, but that shouldn't matter for a gaming PC with a dedicated GPU.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Also extremely worth considering, tbh, if the kids will be satisfied with "just" handhelds.

Roundboy posted:

Looking over all the responses, thanks!

NP! $500 is really rough outside of something like the Deck, but if you can afford to flex up a little bit you should be able to end up with some very satisfied kiddos.

RealityWarCriminal posted:

My dad would like a new desktop. He mostly uses it for web browsing, personal finances and bookkeeping, and storing lots and lots of photos. Should I bother pricing out a build or just suggest him a prebuilt?

If no gaming is involved, that's much more unironic prebuilt territory. And if he doesn't actually care that much about physical device size, a Beelink or similar miniPC might actually be a good option.

EDIT:

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I don't think you can really cut this down to $500 without making significant sacrifices to gaming performance. Also, I know people have recommended the 5600X3D, but I think that extra performance is kind of wasted when paired with an RX6600. I don't know if it's worth it, to be honest. On the other hand, the 5600G has a downgraded CPU with reduced cache and no PCIe 4 support. I would get a 5600 instead, which is another 6-core Zen 3 processor, but with more cache and PCIe 4 support. The downside is that it lacks an integrated GPU, but that shouldn't matter for a gaming PC with a dedicated GPU.

With this in mind. Roundboy? New suggestion list:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/g4mmN6

Gets it under $580, counting a $20 SAMart Win11 license. All parts available at Micro Center. Motherboard can be adjusted to an MATX form factor for the same price, to taste. I think we all went a little nuts with the 5600X3D because MC's the only place you can get that part, but the Doctor raises a good point. This should still be plenty of power to feel like their machines are just as neat as Dad's, while not shattering the bank before case selection.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 14, 2023

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
... and $500 is not a hard stop. more 500-ish. 550 ok, 600, sure... then then we are talking $700 each then we start getting out of bounds before we grab mice / kb. And I really need to grab a new comp desk for them to set it all up. Monitors i have on hand byt really that is something that would get upgraded later.

Im really just trying to find that 'good enough; CPU /GPU combo in contrast to the 'if its not 4090 its nothing) crowd. If i need to spend more, i will. We are all going to MC in a bit to scope out what they think they might want. The steam deck thing might be a -really- good idea, but the one is def looking towards minecraft as well as steam

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

funny enough the 5600 vs the G is actually cheaper.

Roundboy fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 14, 2023

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

The best value GPUs right now are the RX 6600 XT, RX 6650 XT and RX 7600, all of which have been available around the $220-240 mark and are real 1080p budget crowd pleasers. The RX 6600 non-XT (the one you've picked out) is also totally fine for basic 1080p gaming, but here's one of those areas where a few extra dollars would mean a lot of extra performance.

DVG0031 makes a good point that the X3D chips would be kinda wasted on such a light build - they're still worth looking into, especially for system longevity, but if you're hitting your budget wall the 5600 is a really solid processor and a downgrade to it would be fine

If you're looking at Steam Decks, remember that they can be made to run all sorts of stuff outside the Steam eco system - they come with a full fledged desktop and can install other game launchers, although I think they still get bounced off some competitive online games due to the anti-cheat systems not liking the Steam Deck's whole "linux plus compatibility layer" thing

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
yea those kids are gonna get way more from a 6600xt and a 5600 CPU rather than a 5600x3d

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Butterfly Valley posted:

yea those kids are gonna get way more from a 6600xt and a 5600 CPU rather than a 5600x3d

but a 5600 + mobo will put me $340 whereas microcenter has 5600x3d + Asus B550 Plus Wifi and 16gb ram for $300

seems like a no brainer. i just need to figure out how to get 2

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Roundboy posted:

but a 5600 + mobo will put me $340 whereas microcenter has 5600x3d + Asus B550 Plus Wifi and 16gb ram for $300

seems like a no brainer. i just need to figure out how to get 2

Check my revised list I edited in. You can get a 5600 + a good mobo + 16GB of ram for ~$255 dollars at Micro Center if you pick things right.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 15, 2023

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

SpaceDrake posted:

Check my revised list I edited in. You can get a 5600 + a good mobo + 16GB of ram for ~$255 dollars at Micro Center if you pick things right.

Good point 5600 + gigabyte B450m and 16gb of g.skill ripjaw (ddr-3200) is $239

edit: And microcenter deals are limited to 1. Am I going to get stopped buying 1, then going back around for another on the same card ?

Roundboy fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Dec 15, 2023

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Roundboy posted:

edit: And microcenter deals are limited to 1. Am I going to get stopped buying 1, then going back around for another on the same card ?

ymmv but I know multiple people who have bought multiple “1 per customer” deals at Micro Centers. Might just have to do it as separate transactions.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Roundboy posted:

The computer police are going to come arrest you.

I bet if you brought the kids with you Microcenter would let you do it, be sure to have them jumping around with excitement for their new gaming PCs.

Foreign Substance
Mar 6, 2010
Grimey Drawer
My 2015 build (i5 6600K/Z170 with a GTX 970, put together based on stuff I read in an older iteration of this thread) is still chugging faithfully along but starting to show its age, so I think it's time for a new one.

Country: Iceland. Prices here are astronomical but customs are a nightmare so I'd prefer to source parts from local stores, if for no other reason than to make returns easier if anything turns out to be faulty.
Microcenter? No
Use case: Gaming - Cyberpunk 2077, that sort of thing - and maybe some basic image and video editing
Budget: "medium"? American dollars mean nothing here.
Monitor resolution/refresh rate: 1080p/75mHz right now, but I'd like to upgrade to 1440p in a year or so (too expensive to do it all at once).
Desired graphics fanciness: 30-60 FPS on high or ultra in current games with raytracing enabled.

the build so far: PCPartPicker Part List
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Memory: *Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL36 Memory ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Same store stocks Corsair DDR5-6000 for not too much more, if that's worth upgrading.
Storage: *Western Digital Black SN770 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($117.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: *Gigabyte EAGLE GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 8 GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Pop Air ATX Mid Tower Case ($76.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: *Corsair RM750x SHIFT 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular Side Interface ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Total: ($752.96)

Notes:
I'm very lost when it comes to picking a CPU and MOBO. I'd prefer Intel, but could be talked into AMD.
Motherboard brands I have access to: Asus, MSI, ASRock, Gigabyte. Any I should avoid? I don't need built-in wifi.
Cooler brands available: Deepcool, Be quiet!, Noctua, Corsair, Cooler Master, plus some others I haven't seen mentioned much in this thread.

As for the GPU, as a second option I found an Asus TUF RTX4060Ti OC 8GB Gaming which costs about 17% more than the Gigabyte 4060Ti. There's also a cheaper 4060Ti from Zotac but that one only has two fans, and I think I heard somewhere that's... worse?
The only 4070 cards I can find are from Palit or Gainward and cost 30% more than the Gigabyte 4060Ti (20% more than the Asus 4060Ti).

Other cases I've considered besides the Fractal Design Pop Air: Lian-Li Lancool 216, or Be quiet! Pure Base 500DX for the same price. I'm kind of tempted by the Fractal Design North, which is a couple bucks more.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Foreign Substance fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Dec 15, 2023

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

What is your budget in Krona? I know the USD/Krona conversion rate is outlandish, but it'll give us an idea of what you can actually afford to spend.

Foreign Substance
Mar 6, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Branch Nvidian posted:

What is your budget in Krona? I know the USD/Krona conversion rate is outlandish, but it'll give us an idea of what you can actually afford to spend.

I'd like to stay under 350,000 ISK unless there's a really good reason for going over.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Foreign Substance posted:

My 2015 build (i5 6600K/Z170 with a GTX 970, put together based on stuff I read in an older iteration of this thread) is still chugging faithfully along but starting to show its age, so I think it's time for a new one.

Sounds familiar. :v:

quote:

Notes:
I'm very lost when it comes to picking a CPU and MOBO. I'd prefer Intel, but could be talked into AMD.

AMD is currently making the best gaming CPU on the market, full stop. It is, however, rather pricey, and I have no idea what the price situation for it would be like in Iceland.

So you might be looking for something like this, perhaps?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock B650M Pro RS Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory

You really want to try and get DDR5-6000 with a CAS latency of 30, as that combination is the fastest RAM that matches the architecture of the Ryzen 7000 series and will improve your system responsiveness. This depends on what's locally available, though, and a higher CAS latency wouldn't be the end of the world.

You can also definitely go for a 7600 or 7700, or their X variants, if they're significantly cheaper. You'll lose out on the extremely fancy "3D V-cache" of the X3D model, but they're still excellent processors.

The Intels of the past few generations are kind of thread non-favorites because the higher-end models that most thread users would be interested in are bears to cool compared to the recent AMD offerings (and the 7800X3D outperforms them in games anyway), but if Intel prices are significantly better, the 12600K, 12700K, 13600K and 13700K are all worth considering. Avoid the 14000 series of Cores, they're basically the same as the 13000s and Intel just charges more for them.

quote:

As for the GPU, as a second option I found an Asus TUF RTX4060Ti OC 8GB Gaming which costs about 17% more than the Gigabyte 4060Ti. There's also a cheaper 4060Ti from Zotac but that one only has two fans, and I think I heard somewhere that's... worse?
The only 4070 cards I can find are from Palit or Gainward and cost 30% more than the Gigabyte 4060Ti (20% more than the Asus 4060Ti).

In the sub-$500 segment, AMD currently rules the roost because Nvidia has actively ceded that market segment to AMD, and AMD rules that segment with old hardware. It's still good old hardware, but it's kind of a dire situation.

If you're looking to spend the equivalent of $300-400, you'd be much better served looking at the Radeon RX 6700XT, 6800 or 6800XT, depending on shop prices. You lose out on a few of the nifty Nvidia implementations of upscaling and ray tracing in favor of a lot more performance for your money. The 4060 and 4060 Ti are just terrible value for what Nvidia and their board partners charge for the card. The problem, of course, is that Nvidia has far superior ray tracing, but the 4060 doesn't have enough raw horsepower to back up the ray capability. So below the level of the 4070, you have to pick which one you really want to prioritize. If you can find the GeForce 4070 for roughly the same price as an RX 7800XT, then it's worth considering.

As for the dual fans Zotac version, nah, it might just get a bit louder at full load because the two fans have to work a little harder. I use a dual-fan Zotac 4070 and it works perfectly fine, though. It keeps warm temperatures but easily avoids thermally throttling. Doubly so in a chillier environment.

Anyway fake edit, but if your budget is 350K ISK, depending on local pricing and what you describe as available, something like this might work:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9ZJNYN

The ASRock board is a MicroATX board, but it's one of the best values for what you pay, at least in the States. Motherboard selection will really depend on local availability.

Remember that you can always get a $20 Windows key from SA Mart.

Those Gainward and Palit 4070s are going to be perfectly fine cards and are probably closest to what you're looking for.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Foreign Substance posted:

I'd like to stay under 350,000 ISK unless there's a really good reason for going over.

I know you said you prefer Intel, but the 7800X3D is THE best gaming CPU on the market right now. These all have $ in front of them but the actual price I've inputted is ISK; if you click through to the pcpartpicker page each item has the URL of the item I chose from the retailer with the matching price in Iceland. I went ahead and gave you a 4070 since you want to play Cyberpunk with all the stuff turned on, and a 4060/4060 Ti just ain't gonna get you there. As SpaceDrake said, if you can find RAM that is 6000 MHz at CL30 then that's better than what I've put here, but I wasn't having much luck doing so since I don't understand Icelandic at all and Google Translate can only get me so far. This goes slightly over budget, but based on conversion rate I think it's probably within the acceptable margin???

Sorry I can't be more comprehensive.

PCPartPicker Part List

Custom: AMD AM5 Ryzen 7 7800X3D ($66500.00)
Custom: Deepcool AK620 Zero Dark ($15500.00)
Custom: Gigabyte B650 GAMINGX X AX ($42900.00)
Custom: G.Skill 32GB (2x16GB) Flare X5 6000MHz DDR5 ($24500.00)
Custom: 2TB WD Black SN770 M.2 NVMe SSD ($27500.00)
Custom: Zotac RTX4070 Twin Edge OC ($108995.00)
Custom: Corsair RM750x Modular aflgjafi 80P Gold ($29995.00)
Custom: Fractal Design North ($34995.00)
Total: $350885.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-12-15 09:33 EST-0500

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foreign Substance
Mar 6, 2010
Grimey Drawer
This is enormously helpful, thank you both! You've sold me on the 7800X3D. Local retailers have a marked preference for Nvidia cards, the only Radeon card (of the ones mentioned) I can even find is the RX7700XT at prices very similar to the 4070.