Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

If you have a stadium that is easily accessible then undesirables (fans) might show up and that’s bad because stadiums are for corporate suite users.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Did Japan move away from the closed bid posting system

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kirios posted:

I've seen it first hand, it's partially true. What they don't tell you is the traffic is ungodly terrible around the park and is a massive walk even from the parking lot. It takes forever to get to the game, so yeah, I can see why it takes until the third inning to get to your seat.

Like seriously try to go to a game in Dodger stadium. It freaking sucks.

Yeah I made the mistake of letting my old roommate convince me we were fine to drive and park there last time we went and I will never make that mistake again. I do not give af if/when I ever go to another Dodgers game I am walking up that entire goddamn hill and laughing at the line of cars like a maniac.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I have a plethora of recommendations when it comes to navigating the hellscape that is Dodger Stadium transit, and none of them include general parking.

Please goons, if you ever try to attend a game there, hit me up about your entrance and exit strategy.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Kirios posted:

I've seen it first hand, it's partially true. What they don't tell you is the traffic is ungodly terrible around the park and is a massive walk even from the parking lot. It takes forever to get to the game, so yeah, I can see why it takes until the third inning to get to your seat.

Like seriously try to go to a game in Dodger stadium. It freaking sucks.

They should give the land back to all those Chicano families.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Sydin posted:

Yeah I made the mistake of letting my old roommate convince me we were fine to drive and park there last time we went and I will never make that mistake again. I do not give af if/when I ever go to another Dodgers game I am walking up that entire goddamn hill and laughing at the line of cars like a maniac.

I took the free bus from union station each time I went and it was pretty quick and painless. Of course this means you need to be staying somewhere near one of the few metro lines (which are still 9000% better than the nearly non existent public transit I’m used to.)

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Dodger Stadium is oddly terrible given how much rich the franchise has been for so long. I think the last time I was there was the late 90s, hopefully they've remodeled and upgraded some stuff since then.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

live with fruit posted:

They should give the land back to all those Chicano families.

Agreed they should make the Giants go back to the Polo Grounds too. I don't care that it's gone make them rebuild it in Coogan's Hollow!!!

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I prefer rooting for underdogs but many teams are in that category either deliberately or through incompetence. What am I supposed to hate about the Dodgers? Ohtani, Mookie, Freeman? Competent and competitive ownership? Magic tweets? Vin Scully's legacy? Maybe the fans are bad but I live a couple states away. :shrug:

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

My grandfather was a Dodgers fan. More impressive because he grew up in the Bronx. He never forgave them for leaving.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

bees x1000 posted:

I prefer rooting for underdogs but many teams are in that category either deliberately or through incompetence. What am I supposed to hate about the Dodgers? Ohtani, Mookie, Freeman? Competent and competitive ownership? Magic tweets? Vin Scully's legacy? Maybe the fans are bad but I live a couple states away. :shrug:

Are they though? Roberts has been manager for eight years and has one partial ring despite all the money that's been spent and it feels like he has a lifetime contract. Guys like Seidler and Illitch might blow it but it feels like they really wanted to win a World Series and it feels like that's an added bonus for Dodgers ownership, which is faceless.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Even as a (former) Angels fan, I don't really feel any little-brother kind of way toward the Dodgers because the teams are nowhere near each other, it's not a crosstown rivalry at all

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

mdemone posted:

Dodger Stadium is oddly terrible given how much rich the franchise has been for so long. I think the last time I was there was the late 90s, hopefully they've remodeled and upgraded some stuff since then.

The stadium itself is fine if kinda unremarkable imo. It's just getting to and from it that sucks, you'd think they've have put in some permanent public transit infrastructure by now besides a bus but the last I heard anything it was some Elon hyperloop nonsense that predictably went nowhere. Really no excuse either when LA has recently built out a ton of subway infrastructure using cut and cover.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Did Japan move away from the closed bid posting system

Yeah. Now once a guy is posted he can negotiate with anyone and the fee is based on a percentage of the contract.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Where are the Angels even located ? Mt Shasta ?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

euphronius posted:

Across the street from Ohtani's apartment.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

euphronius posted:

Couple blocks from Disneyland

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

euphronius posted:

Either California, of, or Anaheim. Not sure which.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mdemone posted:

Wrong. It is a beautiful perfect place to watch a baseball game.

Getting in and out of it is terrible. The food is sub-par.

But from a pure baseball viewing standpoint, it is top notch.

Sydin posted:

The stadium itself is fine if kinda unremarkable imo. It's just getting to and from it that sucks, you'd think they've have put in some permanent public transit infrastructure by now besides a bus but the last I heard anything it was some Elon hyperloop nonsense that predictably went nowhere. Really no excuse either when LA has recently built out a ton of subway infrastructure using cut and cover.
The current proposal is a Frank McCourt(!!) project to build a gondola from Chinatown up to the stadium. This plan has no clear funding mechanism, will be built by some company McCourt's son runs, and touts a peak capacity of 5000 people per hour. So under perfect conditions it can move 18% of the stadium capacity over a 2 hour span. It is incredibly stupid, an obvious public money grab from McCourt, and I hope it does not come to fruition.

What they should have done years ago is divert the Gold line metro over the 110 freeway just north of Chinatown, tunnel into the hillside, underground station in the stadium parking lot, then veer back north to the 110 and rejoin the rest of it's current route on the other side of the river. But that's real public infrastructure so we can't have it because reasons.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 14, 2023

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

bawfuls posted:

Wrong. It is a beautiful perfect place to watch a baseball game.

Getting in and out of it is terrible. The food is sub-par.

But from a pure baseball viewing standpoint, it is top notch.

the food thing would bother me if I went to a lot of games there. They really should have first-class food vendors.

Honestly the Angels stadium vendors were pretty drat good, it made it easier to watch bad baseball.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The reason the food at Petco is great is because they reached out to a ton of local restaurant chains and brought them into the stadium. It is such a simple thing and yet the Dodgers have not figured it out. Instead we got generic tacos made by like Aramak, and poo poo like Shake Shack.

I just eat at one of the countless good LA food spots before the game and/or grab something to bring in with me. Phillipe's is right by Union Station so that's an easy call when I take the train up. My dad has perfected a Howlin' Rays method where he gets Doordash to deliver it to him at a Home Depot parking lot on his way to the game, since he lives outside their delivery radius and the line at the Chinatown location is too long to reliably hit it pre-game.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

ihatepants posted:

This guy? Who also said that he would delete his Twitter if he was wrong about the Yankees getting Machado?

https://x.com/DanClarkSports/status/1078756564100509696?s=20

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

live with fruit posted:

Are they though? Roberts has been manager for eight years and has one partial ring despite all the money that's been spent and it feels like he has a lifetime contract. Guys like Seidler and Illitch might blow it but it feels like they really wanted to win a World Series and it feels like that's an added bonus for Dodgers ownership, which is faceless.

It feels like it needs to be constantly reiterated, but winning a WS is probs on the whole the single most grueling and luck-reliant championship to obtain in all of the major American professional sports. The NBA can have championships almost literally bought by concentrating talent into a superteam and because there are so many separate events in any given basketball game the talent always wins out, you can’t fluke your way into it. The NFL can have a piece of garbage team (like say, any team in this year’s NFC South) punch their ticket to the dance by winning their completely garbage division and just have four games, total, break their way to lift the Lombardi in February. They don’t even have to necessarily play good, the setup for the NFL playoffs is such that an otherwise fraudulent team can meet four teams playing badly or have bad injury luck in a row and just get a ring out of it. It’s completely possible. In contrast, even the very best teams in the mlb are playing a bare minimum of 10 games to get a ring and because of the setup of baseball having three of the best players in the sport still only gets you 1/3 of the possible at-bats of any given game, never mind flukey poo poo like bats going cold due to the relatively small sample size of postseason games. The pendulum can easily swing in either direction of insane under- or over- performance, so if the NBA and NFL are the two ends of the spectrum - where the NBA always has the most talented team winning a chip no matter what and the NFL can and has had otherwise subpar teams in the regular season sort of Magooing their way to a ring - the MLB is the worst of both worlds; you need absurd talent on top of absurd luck, and it’s therefore really illogical to subscribe to ring culture as proof of excellence in this sport.

gently caress, Bonds - the consensus best player of all time, at least before Shohei came along - never won one, and you’d be insane to hold that against his resume. MLB just doesn’t work like that, and when people actually do use the “all that matters is rings” mentality for this sport specifically that gets you to such illogic as legitimately arguing that Jeter is a better player than A-Rod.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It's less about how many events are in a given game and more about how much of the game one given superstar can be directly involved in. But yes, with that distinction, that's exactly right.

Billy Beane was right, and about more than just himself: no one's poo poo works in the playoffs. The baseball playoffs are mostly random.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

NieR Occomata posted:

gently caress, Bonds - the consensus best player of all time, at least before Shohei came along - never won one, and you’d be insane to hold that against his resume. MLB just doesn’t work like that, and when people actually do use the “all that matters is rings” mentality for this sport specifically that gets you to such illogic as legitimately arguing that Jeter is a better player than A-Rod.

Barry Bonds wasn't a team.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Lol @ baseball playoffs being "grueling".

The scheduling is a joke with tons of off days.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

NieR Occomata posted:

It feels like it needs to be constantly reiterated, but winning a WS is probs on the whole the single most grueling and luck-reliant championship to obtain in all of the major American professional sports.
No that can't be right, I've been told this is cope and I'm a fool for valuing regular season win totals at all.

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's less about how many events are in a given game and more about how much of the game one given superstar can be directly involved in. But yes, with that distinction, that's exactly right.
It's about the frequency of scoring events. If a basketball team is 10% better at scoring than their opponent, that translates into a reliable lead over 100+ scoring events in a game. If a baseball team is 10% better at scoring, what's that mean in a game with 3 total scoring events?

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 14, 2023

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Are the MLB playoffs more luck-reliant than the NFL playoffs, which is three to four one-and-done games?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It is funny watching the haters completely unable to decide on what to complain about.

The Dodgers are an unfair superteam who are making the sport uncompetitive!

Dave Roberts is a fraud and the Dodgers will never win a Real Ring!

Schrodinger's Juggernaut.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

live with fruit posted:

Are the MLB playoffs more luck-reliant than the NFL playoffs, which is three to four one-and-done games?
Some number nerds have studied this and the answer was something like individual NFL games are more determinative than individual baseball games but the schedule differences mostly balance that out, less so in the postseason because 7 games is still nothing in baseball.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 14, 2023

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

live with fruit posted:

No that’s my point. It’s nearly as luck-reliant as the NFL playoffs while also simultaneously being nearly as talent-reliant as the NBA playoffs.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bonds made the playoffs tho

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

bawfuls posted:

It is funny watching the haters completely unable to decide on what to complain about.

The Dodgers are an unfair superteam who are making the sport uncompetitive!

Dave Roberts is a fraud and the Dodgers will never win a Real Ring!

Schrodinger's Juggernaut.

it can both be true that all the good FAs signing with the dodgers is tilting people and also true that the dodgers are chronic playoff gaggers who haven't won a legitimate ring since the 80s. i think the ohtani thing is especially gross because of him being from the angels and the luxury tax fuckery.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

euphronius posted:

Bonds made the playoffs tho
Famously played like poo poo in the postseason until 2002, at which point he OPS'd 1.994 in the World Series and still lost. Baseball!

mcmagic posted:

it can both be true that all the good FAs signing with the dodgers is tilting people and also true that the dodgers are chronic playoff gaggers who haven't won a legitimate ring since the 80s. i think the ohtani thing is especially gross because of him being from the angels and the luxury tax fuckery.
Yes, obviously people are tilted that good players are joining the Dodgers and not their own team.

But a lot of those complaints turn into "it's an uncompetitive superteam that is destroying the balance of power in the sport!" which is completely incompatible with the "Dodgers can't win in October" narrative.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 14, 2023

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

euphronius posted:

Just relaxing on a Wednesday night looking at big arms

good off-season thread title imo

Also for variance between regular season success and postseason success I'd rank it:

Hockey
Baseball (a close 2nd, especially with more WC teams)
Football (Jags 5 years ago were most recent multiple-upset run iirc?)

Basketball (Miami last year was the first deep run by a sub-5 seed in a while)

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Sydin posted:

Yeah how dare the Dodgers... *checks notes* spend a bunch of money to bring in good players! Absolutely heinous poo poo right there.

EVENTUALLY spend a bunch of money to bring in good players 10 years prior

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

What they should have done years ago is divert the Gold line metro over the 110 freeway just north of Chinatown, tunnel into the hillside, underground station in the stadium parking lot, then veer back north to the 110 and rejoin the rest of it's current route on the other side of the river. But that's real public infrastructure so we can't have it because reasons.

Yeah but that's the thing: LA is building out a bunch of real public infrastructure with their subway system and they're doing it faster and more efficiently than basically anywhere else in the country right now because they've actually embraced modern, innovative construction methods that lie on the AM side of the AM/FM spectrum, unlike all the Elon bullshit the politicians usually lap up. Like compare what LA has done to San Jose, where they're saying they *might* be able to accomplish the incredible engineering feet of digging seven miles of subway tunnels by 2034 and are still pointing to the loving water table as the reason they need to import some kind of insanely expensive and finicky pressurized TBM from Switzerland to get the job done. Like there is clearly more political will to build out public transit in LA than there is in most other places in the US right now, so it's wild to me there's no concrete plan to get something extended to the stadium.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

EVENTUALLY spend a bunch of money to bring in good players 10 years prior

per the CBA, the Dodgers will have to begin fully funding their deferred obligations (year-by-year) no later than July 1 two years after the comp is earned. So if Ohtani is deferring a present value of $46M in 2024, the Dodgers have to have that cash set aside by July 1, 2026.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Poque posted:

per the CBA, the Dodgers will have to begin fully funding their deferred obligations (year-by-year) no later than July 1 two years after the comp is earned. So if Ohtani is deferring a present value of $46M in 2024, the Dodgers have to have that cash set aside by July 1, 2026.

Oh wow I hadn't heard that part of it yet. Does it have to be actual liquid assets expressly set aside for the purposes of paying the deferred comp or can it just be some kind of vague "oh we've got [x] total assets which covers our deferred comp obligation?" Because if it's the former then that's actually a stupid amount of real money for them to have to set aside and do nothing with waiting for Ohtani to collect it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Sydin posted:

Yeah but that's the thing: LA is building out a bunch of real public infrastructure with their subway system and they're doing it faster and more efficiently than basically anywhere else in the country right now because they've actually embraced modern, innovative construction methods that lie on the AM side of the AM/FM spectrum, unlike all the Elon bullshit the politicians usually lap up. Like compare what LA has done to San Jose, where they're saying they *might* be able to accomplish the incredible engineering feet of digging seven miles of subway tunnels by 2034 and are still pointing to the loving water table as the reason they need to import some kind of insanely expensive and finicky pressurized TBM from Switzerland to get the job done. Like there is clearly more political will to build out public transit in LA than there is in most other places in the US right now, so it's wild to me there's no concrete plan to get something extended to the stadium.

Elysian Park frankly isn't worth the cost of most of the transit solutions pie in the sky Twitter nerds want to see.

The bus from Union Station makes sense and is actually a painless and fast way of getting to the game since they started doing dedicated lanes on game days.

And as much as I hate McCourt the gondola makes sense too. It's only 5000 people/hour but without a doubt it'll become the iconic way of getting to games and has a ton of touristic upside.

The real simple solution to actually offload traffic is just to build some loving walkways and escalators up the hill from Chinatown station like they have at Universal Studios.