Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Idk, seems like something you should just read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

genericnick posted:

Idk, seems like something you should just read.

it absolutely is

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

genericnick posted:

Starting on random stuff in my backlog. Urasekai picnic seems alright. Obviously it has Roadside Picnic parts, but there seems to be a lot of Annihilation too. Though they kind of handed out super powers to the mains so I guess it's going for a slightly different vibe.

Finished this, it was alright. Wonder if it's worth hunting down the source material. If I had to guess it's probably not going towards any kind of real conclusion.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

genericnick posted:

Starting on random stuff in my backlog. Urasekai picnic seems alright. Obviously it has Roadside Picnic parts, but there seems to be a lot of Annihilation too. Though they kind of handed out super powers to the mains so I guess it's going for a slightly different vibe.

The guy who made Otherside Picnic did interviews about it where he said the most insanely funny poo poo possible.

quote:

R.M.: The wall that you mentioned reminded me of "Liz and the Blue Bird" that opened in theaters a short while ago. The official twitter ran a poll asking "who did you identify with while watching the movie", and besides the main characters there was a third option of "a wall or a desk".

I.M.: I also went to see "Liz and the Blue Bird". I guess this notion first appeared in BL, where you don't self-insert into one of the characters, but rather prefer to see yourself as a wall or a decorative plant watching over the couple. And in this movie the camera explicitly fixates on walls and floors.

quote:

R.M.: No, I'd never. It's more like, with due training you can start to feel the yuri. I've heard that there can be BL between a ceiling and a floor, it's something like that.

I.M.: I think pairings between a ceiling and a floor are commonly accepted in the BL community, but I haven't seen much of that in yuri. But on the other hand, I think a concept of "yuri of absence" is beginning to form.

R.M.: Yuri of absence.

I.M.: That is, an emotional scenery is already yuri.

R.M.: Right.

R.M.: Wait, what?

I.M.: A cliff is towering over the sea, grass is growing on top of it, there is a fence, the gray ocean and sky are stretching beyond the horizon, there is an empty bench for two... Someone was uploading these images with a "#yuri" tag. You can totally get that.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Whirling posted:

The guy who made Otherside Picnic did interviews about it where he said the most insanely funny poo poo possible.

The following lines make it even better

quote:

R.M.: So it's like the cover of chapter 9 of "Otherside Picnic", where the two girls ride on a farming vehicle, and a boundless meadow is around them... You're saying this is yuri.

I.M.: Yes. Now remove both girls from this scenery.

I.M.: A rusty, decaying vehicle is resting on top of wheel tracks.

I.M.: Then you imagine that one day two girls were there... Isn't that already totally yuri?

R.M.: Right...

I.M.: So a grassland somehow becomes yuri.

R.M.: A grassland, huh.

*looks at literally anything*
Y'know, if there were two girls right there, that would be kinda yuri

The whole article is a goldmine so if you haven't read it, give it a shot. Dude has some incredible opinions on yuri and I can't say I disagree with him

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Yuri ship of theseus

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

When you create a scene, you are designing a space. If that space has room for two girls, even if they're not physically present....that is yuri.

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(
drat I thought Disney was cooking by claiming that two extremely secondary characters were gay because they hold hands for 2 seconds in the background but to do that without even having the characters is insanely powerful too.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
feeling very blessed to live in a universe where gay girls can exist

also, PSA time

Anime films showing this month, courtesy of yattatachi.com:

The Boy and the Heron / How Do You Live?, premiering December 8. The latest film from Miyazaki & Studio Ghibli.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7EDFdA10pg

:siren: and for a few nights only beginning December 11, Satoshi Kon's Tokyo Godfathers. During the Christmas season, three homeless people find a baby in the trash. A great comedy-drama if you've not seen it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUEUrK6Xbo4

(Not anime, but that site also reminded me that the new Godzilla film is out now. It's set in post-war Japan and is supposed to be great in the same way that the first Godzilla and Shin Godzilla were.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Very excited to see Tokyo Godfathers on the big screen, and then Paprika a month or two later.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Tokyo Godfathers is an all time top tier Christmas/New Years movie

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

genericnick posted:

Finished this, it was alright. Wonder if it's worth hunting down the source material. If I had to guess it's probably not going towards any kind of real conclusion.

I've only read the manga and LNs for this and they're quite good, heard the anime makes some strange choices with the adaptation that fans of the series weren't happy with, though I don't know the specifics.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Kit Walker posted:

The whole article is a goldmine so if you haven't read it, give it a shot. Dude has some incredible opinions on yuri and I can't say I disagree with him

I was kinda disappointed when I found out the author of otherside picnic was a dude (Iori being a gender neutral name as I understand) but he makes it up with his outlandish opinions.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Talorat posted:

I was kinda disappointed when I found out the author of otherside picnic was a dude (Iori being a gender neutral name as I understand) but he makes it up with his outlandish opinions.

I really appreciated his nine updates. Including how direct he is about them. "If you're a dude fantasizing about how you want to gently caress the lesbian couple, go die. If you think it's 'just a phase,' go die," etc. I also thought him pushing back against the idea that men can't write yuri was also pretty cool, because he's right that it would be ridiculous to say that women can't write gay content. Like yeah the two situations aren't exactly equivalent for a number of reasons but the same stuff that would prevent a dude from writing good yuri goes the other way too

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
makes sense to me

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i mean, the tube has to go somewhere, right?

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(
I find it hard to believe a space faring civilization wouldn't develop wifi but what do I know

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Dai Dark is very dumb and funny.

I like the part where peoples' souls turn into chicken legs.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

I love Shimada Death with all my heart

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1732070007935262791

Ikoku Nikki stays winning

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Cerebral Bore posted:

i mean, the tube has to go somewhere, right?

when you think about humans are a meat donut

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

January 6 Survivor posted:

I find it hard to believe a space faring civilization wouldn't develop wifi but what do I know

Their technology is based on bones and darkness, I think it works on different principles than your laptop.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

It's incredible that Conan is still somehow in the eighth spot, ranking higher than several other manga that are just objectively way better. Is this based on sales or votes? I guess Conan is still massively popular through sheer inertia

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

the guy she was interested in wasn’t a guy at all

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

Gripweed posted:

Their technology is based on bones and darkness, I think it works on different principles than your laptop.

yeah sorry but I can't afford to upgrade every year like some people.

Kit Walker posted:

It's incredible that Conan is still somehow in the eighth spot, ranking higher than several other manga that are just objectively way better. Is this based on sales or votes? I guess Conan is still massively popular through sheer inertia

it's getting closer to ending, there aren't a lot of murder mystery mangas anyway and most of the cases are still entertaining. Also Haibara remains great and toxic

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Popy posted:

the guy she was interested in wasn’t a guy at all
it's extremely funny because the framing of the comic is like wow this teenage japanese girl is so cool for liking this music when no one else around her does except the love interest and it's all like the most mainstream gen x rock you can think of

go read ikoku nikki tho it's incredibly good.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Been reading this all morning, drat you weren't kidding.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

:siren: Zatch Bell!! 2, chapter 18 just dropped.

:siren: :black101: BRAGO :black101: is back! :siren:

:siren: I repeat, motherfucking BRAGO has returned, and he just loving exploded a giant monster's whole arm off and then decapitated him with his bare fist! Just... loving straight-up Happy Gilmore-ed the bitch's whole head clean off his body! :siren:

This sequel is kicking rear end and taking names at an alarming speed!

I. M. Gei has issued a correction as of 20:17 on Dec 14, 2023

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
stfu

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

more like I'm... oh

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Zatch Bell 2 is good and probably GotY despite not even being a game

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

it's extremely funny because the framing of the comic is like wow this teenage japanese girl is so cool for liking this music when no one else around her does except the love interest and it's all like the most mainstream gen x rock you can think of

I find it charming because I used to work at a record store and basically every person who works there and goes there is like that, but also its so funny to see one of the girls be like, "wow holy poo poo this is one of the best songs ever" and then you see what it is and its "blurry" by puddle of mudd or something like that

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Ytlaya posted:

Zatch Bell 2 is good and probably GotY despite not even being a game

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Whirling posted:

I find it charming because I used to work at a record store and basically every person who works there and goes there is like that, but also its so funny to see one of the girls be like, "wow holy poo poo this is one of the best songs ever" and then you see what it is and its "blurry" by puddle of mudd or something like that

That was in Ace Combat 5 and Ace Combat 5 had a banger ost ergo it's a banger song

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I. M. Gei posted:

:siren: Zatch Bell!! 2, chapter 18 just dropped.

:siren: :black101: BRAGO :black101: is back! :siren:

:siren: I repeat, motherfucking BRAGO has returned, and he just loving exploded a giant monster's whole arm off and then decapitated him with his bare fist! Just... loving straight-up Happy Gilmore-ed the bitch's whole head clean off his body! :siren:

This sequel is kicking rear end and taking names at an alarming speed!

hell yeah

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Kitfox88 posted:

That was in Ace Combat 5 and Ace Combat 5 had a banger ost ergo it's a banger song

god I love that the game throws you into a harder mission if you say that you don't like puddle of mudd to chopper

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Four Horsemen can suck my nuts, worst mission in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)