Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Other than the 20th century, I don't have a classic cocktail, but we created one that we really like.

This is a photograph:
2.5 oz of Awayuki Strawberry Gin
1.0 oz lemon
.75 oz creme de cacao
.25 oz creme de violette
(2 barspoons of simple optional)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
That Awayuki gin fuckin rocks, I bet that's a great drink.

The Twentieth Century is a great cocktail, and easy to riff on. The 21st Century is a variation with tequila that's an easy winner. Good creme de cacao, such as what you've made, can be intriguing subbed in as the sweetener in an Old Fashioned, especially one with tequila or mezcal.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

TengenNewsEditor posted:

soda cocktail?

On the regional soda/soda cocktail front, is there anything out there that's good with Big Red? Some way to make a good cocktail and hopefully retain some essential Big Red-ness?

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I went searching for crème de cacao cocktails I hadn’t made (check my post history for grasshoppers, brandy alexanders, and tiramisus) and found this riff on a Blood and Sand:

Burl Ives
2 oz blended scotch
.5 oz Sweet Vermouth
.5 oz Crème de Cacao
4 dashes Angostura
Stirred and served a cocktail glass with an orange twist

I used Dewars White Label, Carpano Antica, and Tempus Fugit CdC. It was good!

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

I went searching for crème de cacao cocktails I hadn’t made (check my post history for grasshoppers, brandy alexanders, and tiramisus) and found this riff on a Blood and Sand:

Burl Ives
2 oz blended scotch
.5 oz Sweet Vermouth
.5 oz Crème de Cacao
4 dashes Angostura
Stirred and served a cocktail glass with an orange twist

I used Dewars White Label, Carpano Antica, and Tempus Fugit CdC. It was good!

Last year I went to this bar in london (Satan's Whiskers) where they make almost any classic cocktail you want and the bartender made us a Golden Cadillac (maybe a white cadillac? since he used white creme de cacao and grated white chocolate). I highly recommend it

nerdz fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Dec 6, 2023

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
My contrarian take is I'm a high fructose corn syrup truther. I think a blind side by side with cane sugar would be about tied. HFCS just sounds bad. I'm not gonna seek it out or anything though.

Successfully used an extract/essential oil in a personal recipe. "OliveNation Jasmine Flavor Extract, TTB-Approved for Brewing, Light Floral Flavoring" on amazon. Diluted it about 20% to 80% with everclear and put it in a tiny squeeze bottle with a tiny opening. I wanted jasmine but not jasmine green tea with caffeine and the tannin. Love the latter.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Any cocktail suggestions that use ruby port so I can finish off this bottle I opened about a year ago? I’ve kept it in a dark cool place with wine preserver gas in the bottle, so it drinks fine but I wanna finish it off before it goes off and/or to clear some space in the bar.

Tonight I made a Sangaree:

2 oz Pierre Ferrand 1840 Cognac
1 oz Valduro Ruby Port
1.5 tsp simple syrup

Stirred with ice, served in chilled glass

Americas alleged first cocktail is not a bad way to finish off some port.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
drat the Toronto kicks rear end

2 rye
.25 Fernet
.25 simple
2 dash Angostura
Orange peel

Stir over ice and strain into a chilled glass and add the orange peel. I used rich demerara syrup cause it's what I have. Anybody ever try it with a different amaro?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Human Tornada posted:

drat the Toronto kicks rear end

2 rye
.25 Fernet
.25 simple
2 dash Angostura
Orange peel

Stir over ice and strain into a chilled glass and add the orange peel. I used rich demerara syrup cause it's what I have. Anybody ever try it with a different amaro?

Fernet is so much its own thing that I’m not sure a more typical amaro would make itself known in only .25. If you want to experiment, maybe try an alpine amaro like braulio, but I’d start at a .5 pour and no simple if so, because you need that vegetal note strong. Or mess around with the bitters - chocolate bitters plus the menthol in fernet could lead to like an andes mint thing if you do it right?

I’m saying that all as someone who loves a Toronto, but it’s like a paper plane in that it’s a drink defined by the specific ingredient. You can riff on it, but you’re really not making a Toronto without Fernet. Last time I was in Philly, Hop Sing Laundromat did have a riff on the menu, but they dropped the rye a bit to add another liquor, they kept the fernet.

Jean-Paul Shartre fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 10, 2023

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
That's the right idea. Feel free to goof around with the general idea of the drink, but understand that you may have to re-proportion it to accommodate. I have a menu cocktail right now that's basically a mezcal Toronto with a quarter ounce each of orange cordial, house espresso liqueur, and a dry amaro. The Toronto is maybe even more versatile than the Old Fashioned, I absolutely recommend messing around with it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

now I want to try it with Underberg :getin:

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

AlexDeGruven posted:

Cocchi is my go to for Manhattans.

Speaking of Cocchi I am loving Cocchi Americano. Quinine aperitif wines are way more palatable to me than vermouth as a stand alone or long drink.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I’ve been asked to make chocolate mint martinis for a holiday party. Don’t judge me

Are there recommended brands of the following:
Whipped cream vodka
Crème de cacao
Crème de mente
A chocolate bar to shave over it

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Don't buy whipped cream vodka, buy Stoli Vanil or Absolut Vanilla. Your creme de cacao should be Tempus Fugit. For creme de menthe I'd probably go for Giffard Menthe Pastille. If it was me I'd be adding a touch of Branca Menta to bring a little bitter to the party, which would play well with the chocolate, but if you've been called upon for "chocolate mint martinis" I suspect this probably isn't that kind of party. To shave on top just grab some Ghirardelli.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

The problem with that is you’re turning an abomination into a possibly worthwhile cocktail, which is not remotely what a party that asked for that abomination is looking for.

Jean-Paul Shartre fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 13, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I actually just bought two pounds of cacao nibs to make my own creme de cacao, but I'm sure Tempus Fugit's is amazing. Now I understand why anything with cacao is so expensive - the nibs weren't cheap.

I'll be in Chicago in a couple weeks and Tempus Fugit isn't available in Michigan - I'm grabbing a bottle of Creme De Banane to bring home, is there anything from Tempus or anybody else that I should be on the lookout for?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
If you're making your own creme de cacao you might as well just make your own vanilla vodka while you're at it. Tastes better than a lot of the really artificial tasting stuff I've tried off the shelf.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Corb3t posted:

I actually just bought two pounds of cacao nibs to make my own creme de cacao, but I'm sure Tempus Fugit's is amazing. Now I understand why anything with cacao is so expensive - the nibs weren't cheap.

I'll be in Chicago in a couple weeks and Tempus Fugit isn't available in Michigan - I'm grabbing a bottle of Creme De Banane to bring home, is there anything from Tempus or anybody else that I should be on the lookout for?

Giffard Banane du Bresil is incredible.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I’m out of Maraschino liqueur so I substituted Green Chartruese in an Improved Whiskey Cocktail. Apparently this is called a Green Hat, and it’s ok but not my favorite.

1.5 oz Old Overholt BIB Rye
.25 oz simple
.25 Green Chartreuse
2 dashes Angostura
2 dashes Peychauds
Glass rinsed with Absente 100 and lemon peel expressed on top

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Kenning posted:

How's it compare to the Tempus Fugit Banane?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Kenning posted:

Carillon posted:

How's it compare to the Tempus Fugit Banane?

I've heard Tempus Banane has more banana bread spice, while Giffard has more straight banana flavor. I actually managed to track down a bottle of Giffard Banane du Bresil and Abricot du Roussillon locally, but would also like to have Tempus Fugit's Banane on hand as well. Even though I made my own creme de cacao, I also plan on picking a bottle of Tempus Creme de Cacao as well, and maybe a bottle of their menthe. Their Absinthe looks interesting, but it wasn't for available at any Binnys near our airbnb.

I've been eyeing Giffard's Pineapple, which I know is available on shelves at Binnys. Are there any coconut liqueurs worth tracking down? I can't say I've owned any that have impressed me. Otherwise, I found a spot that supposedly has Chartreuse available to go (on site bar that has to go sales = better allocation), so I plan on grabbing a bottle or two of green since I'm out.

Otherwise, I just plan on grabbing any sugarcane rums I can find - Agricoles, Haitian Clairins, Mexican rums, etc. I'd like to dabble more into tequilas and mezcals, but don't know enough about what are worth grabbing if I see them. I've had Ocho, Siete Leguas, Pasote, G4, and Del Maguey that I've enjoyed, but that's about it. I saw random bottles of Fortaleza last time I was in Chicago, but their prices were jacked up.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

https://us.empirical.co/pages/empirical-x-doritos

Vacuum distilled Doritos nacho cheese liquor from guys who used to work at Noma and Fat Duck

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

No. Just gently caress all the way off with that poo poo.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The doritos logo embossed in monochrome on that classy rear end box is some serious Taco Bell in Demolition Man poo poo

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Honestly, would. You only live once.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Live más!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
So..what is it? Doesn't say vodka. It doesn't say anything, actually. Is it a bourbon? Cuz Doritos are made form corn.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Kenning posted:

Honestly, would. You only live once.

I am contractually required by my brain to try gross poo poo like this if I see it.

I will not buy a bottle. I have that much control.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
https://us.empirical.co/pages/empirical-x-doritos

We are uncategorized

We break away from conventional spirit categories. We are driven by curiosity and the pursuit of new flavor experiences.

We do everything from scratch, build our own machinery and bring together new and forgotten ingredients across cultures and communities.

Empirical stands apart - unbound by convention, undefined by categories.

So it’s just Doritos liquor.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Probably just NGS diluted down and infused.

e: tiny possibility they fermented and then distilled actual Doritos, but the world is not so beautiful.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

What is NGS?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Sorry, neutral grain spirits.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Nacho grain spirits

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Empirical’s big gimmick is that they use vacuum distilling at scale to extract flavor out of things without using cooking heat. They can extract flavor out of all sorts of weird things without altering the flavor. As I understand it, they infuse the ingredient in spirit, then distill it under vacuum, and the flavor will be in the distillate

Their plum liquor is wonderful

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Kenning posted:

Probably just NGS diluted down and infused.

e: tiny possibility they fermented and then distilled actual Doritos, but the world is not so beautiful.

Quite likely MGP juice.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

AlexDeGruven posted:

Quite likely MGP juice.

They're in Copenhagen, so that's unlikely for cost reasons

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

bloody ghost titty posted:

They're in Copenhagen, so that's unlikely for cost reasons

Ahh, I didn't look into that. It was already too repellent for me to dig, heh.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Any goo Thai rums? I was walking by a liquor shop and saw Erawan Rum in the window and one can never have enough rum.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Corb3t posted:

I've heard Tempus Banane has more banana bread spice, while Giffard has more straight banana flavor. I actually managed to track down a bottle of Giffard Banane du Bresil and Abricot du Roussillon locally, but would also like to have Tempus Fugit's Banane on hand as well. Even though I made my own creme de cacao, I also plan on picking a bottle of Tempus Creme de Cacao as well, and maybe a bottle of their menthe. Their Absinthe looks interesting, but it wasn't for available at any Binnys near our airbnb.

I've been eyeing Giffard's Pineapple, which I know is available on shelves at Binnys. Are there any coconut liqueurs worth tracking down? I can't say I've owned any that have impressed me. Otherwise, I found a spot that supposedly has Chartreuse available to go (on site bar that has to go sales = better allocation), so I plan on grabbing a bottle or two of green since I'm out.

Otherwise, I just plan on grabbing any sugarcane rums I can find - Agricoles, Haitian Clairins, Mexican rums, etc. I'd like to dabble more into tequilas and mezcals, but don't know enough about what are worth grabbing if I see them. I've had Ocho, Siete Leguas, Pasote, G4, and Del Maguey that I've enjoyed, but that's about it. I saw random bottles of Fortaleza last time I was in Chicago, but their prices were jacked up.

For coconut liqueurs I really like Clement Mahina Coco (it's an agricole base and it kicks rear end) and Kalani coconut liqueur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Corb3t posted:

I feel like the world is sleeping on pot still sugarcane rum and rhum agricole. Every hole in the wall liquor store near me sells Babencourt white and aged for cheap.