Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I know this isn't exactly Plex-related, but does anybody have any IPTV provider recommendations? Looking for the right balance of live channels + sports, cost, but around long enough that it won't shut down in a year or whatever. Don't really care about International channels, but euro soccer games may be interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Are Hulu and Google still the only games in town?

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Dr. Poz posted:

100TB+ crew, checking in. Synology, single SHR-2 volume, 4x 18TB + 4x 22TB drives, all WD Reds.

I hit the maximum volume limit and had to make a runt ~1TB secondary volume.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Corb3t posted:

I know this isn't exactly Plex-related, but does anybody have any IPTV provider recommendations? Looking for the right balance of live channels + sports, cost, but around long enough that it won't shut down in a year or whatever. Don't really care about International channels, but euro soccer games may be interesting.

I've been pleasantly surprised with YouTube TV, anytime I've needed live TV for something (sports, awards shows) I've been able to find it on there. Admittedly I don't pay for it, I'm on my parents family plan, so I can't speak to its value but it seems like a legitimate replacement for cable.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

I hit the maximum volume limit and had to make a runt ~1TB secondary volume.

Congrats and I'm sorry. Just checked my models limit and I'm not far from hitting it either. I guess that speeds up my time table for a Diskshelf or something.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

LRADIKAL posted:

Are Hulu and Google still the only games in town?

Well that and :filez:

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Corb3t posted:

I have DirecTv stream. It's not cheap, but has been reliable. Idk if that's necessarily what you mean by IPTV though.

There's Fubo i have heard discussed as well.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I have DTVS too because I require MSG for hockey which sucks because it's stupid expensive. At least I get Max with it too.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Moey posted:

Why don't cheap similar sized devices exist with a SAS connection in the back? I'm slowly hacking together a small rack mount monstrosity set-up to fulfill my desires.

It's a coin flip if this will end up burning down my house eventually.

Ha! I'm doing the same. This started with my buying two SAS drives some time back because they were the cheapest/terabyte without realizing what SAS even was, and this has led down a path of presently using one of those acrylic racks that's meant to house a bunch of drives for cryptomining with some adapters piped down to an LSI card. I've recently acquired a pair of server backplanes that I intend to use in an ATX case as a JBOD with drives coming from the backplane to a 8087 -> 8088 external card with cables plugged into the server. This is all running off an old power supply and one of those tiny power management boards that takes the place of using an old motherboard or whatever instead.

To think, if I hadn't accidentally bought drives using a connector I didn't realize existed just to save a buck, I wouldn't have spent more money overbuilding a solution to house even more drives! I am very smart with money

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

George RR Fartin posted:

Ha! I'm doing the same. This started with my buying two SAS drives some time back because they were the cheapest/terabyte without realizing what SAS even was, and this has led down a path of presently using one of those acrylic racks that's meant to house a bunch of drives for cryptomining with some adapters piped down to an LSI card. I've recently acquired a pair of server backplanes that I intend to use in an ATX case as a JBOD with drives coming from the backplane to a 8087 -> 8088 external card with cables plugged into the server. This is all running off an old power supply and one of those tiny power management boards that takes the place of using an old motherboard or whatever instead.

To think, if I hadn't accidentally bought drives using a connector I didn't realize existed just to save a buck, I wouldn't have spent more money overbuilding a solution to house even more drives! I am very smart with money

I'm just using SATA drives, but want an external SAS connection for the DAS itself, not USB.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Has anyone been having trouble with the Plex Movie agent losing matches on movies and refusing to work? I have a handful of films that have dropped match for no reason and trying to manually match or do any of the old tricks simply doesn’t work. Yes, everything is named correctly and so on and so forth. It seems like they hit an API limit or something, idk.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Are you saving meta data to the same folder? Or relying on Internet pulls ?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Just the usual naming conventions on the folder/file(s):

eg -
Movie: The Movie Title (2010) {imdb-tt0066921} {edition-Ultimate Extended Edition} [Surround Sound x264][Bluray-1080p Proper][3D][DTS 5.1][AVC]-EVOLVE

After a bit more digging, it does seem that something is FUBAR with the agent itself. If I try and match a currently fine matched movie it can't find anything, even if I give it accurate information for any given movie. I'd be money they blew out their limit to IMDB or whatever.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Did you post about the same issue on one of the Plex Facebook groups earlier too? If not, it sounds like something a few people are dealing with.

I’m on an older server version right now as PMM was breaking with an update and I haven’t been bothered to check if it’s now resolved, but no issues on my side.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Nope. I don’t mess with Facebook outside of being a gossipy bitch on the neighborhood’s. Looks like it’s going it for TV shows as well. It might also be happening for my YouTube library as well, but that one is a bit harder to pin down.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Did a bit more digging and apparently this isn't a new issue and thankfully restarting the service sorted the matter, at least for now. It's a Christmas miracle!

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
I have a scheduled task to bounce Plex every night, probably colors my perception of Plex on Windows being “fine”

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Is there any way to turn off the "layering" that happens when leaving a TV episode in the Android Plex app? Leaving the player goes to the episode info screen, then hit back from the episode it takes me to the season screen, then back from that goes to the show screen, then finally back to the home screen. I just want to go straight back to home without having to go through endless layers.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dicty Bojangles posted:

Is there any way to turn off the "layering" that happens when leaving a TV episode in the Android Plex app? Leaving the player goes to the episode info screen, then hit back from the episode it takes me to the season screen, then back from that goes to the show screen, then finally back to the home screen. I just want to go straight back to home without having to go through endless layers.

Plex is the demo of an app that is more form over function. It's annoying.

Two ways.

The first way is how I do it because it's two quick swipes and pressing Plex

Go into Recent App views. Via Android you do this by

• Swipe up from the bottom, hold, then let go.
  • If you’re on Android Go with 3-button navigation, tap Recent apps .
  • Swipe left or right to switch to the app you want to open.
  • Tap the app that you want to open.

Find Plex app and swipe it up to kill the app. Then start Plex again. It will take you through the login process again and then home.

I apologize if you already know how to do this. I'm just being complete.

The second is to make a Plex search shortcut. You do this by holding down on Plex and then hold down on Search until it lets you drags it to the screen as a new Search "app"

Click on this Search will take you to the (you guessed it) the Search section of Plex no matter if the app is already or running or not.

You hit that back button (pointed) and Plex takes you to the home no matter what.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Thanks so much for that excellent effort post, Gibson. I’ll play around with this and see what works best for my arrangement.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
The plex app on our samsung tv has started showing closed caption subtitles on almost any video we play and it is driving me loving bonkers. The subtitles in plex and on the tv are disabled as far as I can tell. If I watch the same video on my phone the CC are not there.

Is this some buried setting somewhere? Sometimes the two year old goes hard on the tv remote and odd things happen but I cannot find anything on the tv settings related to this.

To be clear, it is not the typical nice subtitles that can be enabled per video, it is the ugly CC style captions in a black rectangle that change location around the screen.

Google and samsung's website say the tv settings under 'General' should have a Captions menu item but our tv does not have it.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I'm sure it depends on the Samsung tv but try

quote:

Samsung help forums:
1. From the Home screen, use the directional pad on the TV Remote and select Settings (All Settings).
2. Select General (General & Privacy), and then select Accessibility.
3. Select Caption Settings, and then select Caption to turn captions On. Select it again to turn them Off.

If it's not under accessibility, post which Samsung TV model you have and maybe one of us can do some google searching.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 16, 2023

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

other people posted:

The plex app on our samsung tv has started showing closed caption subtitles on almost any video we play and it is driving me loving bonkers. The subtitles in plex and on the tv are disabled as far as I can tell. If I watch the same video on my phone the CC are not there.

Is this some buried setting somewhere? Sometimes the two year old goes hard on the tv remote and odd things happen but I cannot find anything on the tv settings related to this.

To be clear, it is not the typical nice subtitles that can be enabled per video, it is the ugly CC style captions in a black rectangle that change location around the screen.

Google and samsung's website say the tv settings under 'General' should have a Captions menu item but our tv does not have it.

Time for an actual streaming device

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
It's a 49NU7105. There is no menu option for captions anywhere that I have found.

There is an Accessibility option in the General menu. It has a Subtitle Settings which I have turned off. But it makes no difference; I still get the CCs in plex. Note I don't get CCs when just watching OTA TV so maybe it is a plex thing, but plex only seems to have subtitle settings and those are turned off.

When using the plex app the tv's subtitle settings are greyed out but they show Off.

I am going to try resetting the plex app...

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

kri kri posted:

Time for an actual streaming device

nah time for a new tv :p

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

other people posted:

nah time for a new tv :p

I hope that's a joke. Because that's how you end up right back where you are.

Dedicated streaming devices are generally and largely superior in every way not only in hardware but in support and speed of development of clients.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

other people posted:

It's a 49NU7105. There is no menu option for captions anywhere that I have found.

There is an Accessibility option in the General menu. It has a Subtitle Settings which I have turned off. But it makes no difference; I still get the CCs in plex. Note I don't get CCs when just watching OTA TV so maybe it is a plex thing, but plex only seems to have subtitle settings and those are turned off.

When using the plex app the tv's subtitle settings are greyed out but they show Off.

I am going to try resetting the plex app...

I think it may be a problem or bug with the Tizen OS in some Samsung TVs. Once the OS level CCs get turned on for the plex app on the TV they will not turn back off unless you factory reset the TV. They ignore the command to turn them off or it gets greyed out. Found an old plex thread about it with another one of their TVs that uses the Samsung Tizen OS.

https://forums.plex.tv/t/samsung-tv-forces-closed-captions-eia-608-708/789008/10?u=antonio1475

Alternative option is to use FFMPEG and rerip everything and tell it to remove closed captions from the video stream of every file you play on plex. There's instructions on how to do that via command line stuff but that's kinda overkill compared to just factory resetting the tv and reinstalling plex/etc

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 16, 2023

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

MagusDraco posted:

I think it may be a problem or bug with the Tizen OS in some Samsung TVs. Once the OS level CCs get turned on for the plex app on the TV they will not turn back off unless you factory reset the TV. They ignore the command to turn them off or it gets greyed out. Found an old plex thread about it with another one of their TVs that uses the Samsung Tizen OS.

https://forums.plex.tv/t/samsung-tv-forces-closed-captions-eia-608-708/789008/10?u=antonio1475

Alternative option is to use FFMPEG and rerip everything and tell it to remove closed captions from the video stream of every file you play on plex. There's instructions on how to do that via command line stuff but that's kinda overkill compared to just factory resetting the tv and reinstalling plex/etc

Wow, thank you for finding that! I really thought I was crazy or somehow overlooking some super obvious setting in the menus.

I will try resetting everything tomorrow and see how it goes.

The tv did amazingly report a software update some days ago (surprising for a tv from 2018) and maybe that is when it started but I really don't know. We frequently enable subtitles when watching tv so it's not like that hasn't been enabled before.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Motronic posted:

I hope that's a joke. Because that's how you end up right back where you are.

Dedicated streaming devices are generally and largely superior in every way not only in hardware but in support and speed of development of clients.

It was half a joke. I hate the OS of this tv so I'd be happy to never use it again.

But really I usually have a pc connected and use Plex HTPC on it. It is sooo much snappier than the native tv app. But I moved the pc and now its IR receiver is out of sight. I just need to get one of those usb extender cable things so the dongle can be visible again. Going to get around to that any day now...

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

other people posted:

It was half a joke. I hate the OS of this tv so I'd be happy to never use it again.

I've yet to experience a native TV OS that I like, other than the RokuOS and I still don't understand why one would want that or anything else actually built into a TV. I just want a dumb display then we can do the yospos thing that happens in here about what you plug into it - roku, appletv, firestick, nuc, pc - and every last one of them are clearly suprior to any TV OS/hardware combo almost immediately and certainly within a year or so and long, long before the display itself needs replacement.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Motronic posted:

I've yet to experience a native TV OS that I like, other than the RokuOS and I still don't understand why one would want that or anything else actually built into a TV. I just want a dumb display then we can do the yospos thing that happens in here about what you plug into it - roku, appletv, firestick, nuc, pc - and every last one of them are clearly suprior to any TV OS/hardware combo almost immediately and certainly within a year or so and long, long before the display itself needs replacement.

The Sonys with Google TV are fine once you replace the front end with FLauncher

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

other people posted:

Wow, thank you for finding that! I really thought I was crazy or somehow overlooking some super obvious setting in the menus.

I will try resetting everything tomorrow and see how it goes.

The tv did amazingly report a software update some days ago (surprising for a tv from 2018) and maybe that is when it started but I really don't know. We frequently enable subtitles when watching tv so it's not like that hasn't been enabled before.

I think the plex subtitles being turned on should be fine. It's when somehow you also enable the OS level ones for plex (the ones built into the TV with white text on black background that are in accessibility settings) that it breaks

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ShoeFly posted:

The Sonys with Google TV are fine once you replace the front end with FLauncher

Ahh, yes google. A company who is notable for never abandoning or outright killing off products seemingly at random.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The TV should be as smart and powerful as possible.

And you should use none of those features and use a dedicated device for whatever you’re trying to do.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Can you even get a good quality tv without a smart OS built in these days?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Not unless you're buying a commercial display. The important criteria for me is "can you turn it off" and also "can you even use the tv without first connecting it to the internet" because of course that's a thing that exists now.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Even a commercial display isn’t going to compete with any of the OLEDs. Commercial displays do not care enough about quality at this point.

The issue isn’t smart TVs. A cheap standalone client for whatever ecosystem you like is going to be the way forward and they’re all only getting cheaper.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I stumbled onto an open box commercial TV at Best buy and figured it was a unicorn. It's been great. You can turn it on and off, and it has an HDMI input. Everything I needed.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
my old Synology DS920+ is chugging on subtitles, and there doesn't seem to be a meaningfully more powerful model coming down the line anytime soon. what is my best bet for a device that runs plex and will hook up to my TV that won't eat poo poo on subtitles? nvidia shield? steam deck? is there a NUC OS that mimics a smart TV? needs to be user friendly and work with my LG smart TV's magic remote, if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Unless I’m mistaken HTPCs are largely dead af. You’d likely be best off getting a dedicated streaming device (AppleTV, Shield, Google/Android TV, ect.) and a dedicated box to run Plex on with a newer Quicksync capable CPU. That said you might be where burning the subtitles into the files would be a better option.