Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

AARD VARKMAN posted:

There's literally only one I can actually think of, and it's as minor a victory as they come in this thread...

I've got another, but it might be old.

Chicken sandwich chain PDQ got rid of their zucchini fries early on in the pandemic. Easily the best thing on the menu and they just disappeared. Well now they're back. Can't say for sure that I've been to PDQ at all in the last two years or so, but when I went last weekend they had 'em on the menu like normal.

Nature is healing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Serious_Cyclone posted:

And I'm guessing they didn't reduce their prices when they slimmed down the options. Maybe fast food has gotten so expensive that people are finally just not bothering with it and going elsewhere or cooking at home. McDonald's etc. went from a once in a while thing straight to "why on Earth would I do that" when they pumped their prices through the roof. For all I know they've dropped them again, but I never bother to check.

Prices will never be lowered.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

withak posted:

Prices will never be lowered.

That's what makes me shocked that the sub place would revert back to a menu that is more expensive for them (unless maybe they jacked the prices again?). So many businesses went into emergency mode over the pandemic and then saw zero reason to come back out when the emergency was over. It was a filter that stress tested everybody and only the shittiest companies survived it - we had an amazing restaurant that went under because they didn't feel that they could keep everyone safe in their small space even after state/county/city restrictions were lifted, done-in by their own ethics. Meanwhile, ShitSubs is doing its best year because they cut down to 3 menu options and jacked the price 75% over the pandemic and then never stopped.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

it is your moral obligation to waste capitalist profits as much as possible

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

GolfHole posted:

it is your moral obligation to waste capitalist profits as much as possible

This. :haibrow:

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Maybe fast food has gotten so expensive that people are finally just not bothering with it and going elsewhere or cooking at home. McDonald's etc. went from a once in a while thing straight to "why on Earth would I do that" when they pumped their prices through the roof. For all I know they've dropped them again, but I never bother to check.

I hardly ever eat fast food, and holy poo poo is the experience just loving awful now. About a month ago, I was going to visit my dad, and he asked me to pick up an order at Taco Bell for him. He had already ordered and paid online and set a pick up time in the store. I ended up waiting 40 minutes in the lobby for some tacos because as it turns out, the fast food priority list for orders is 1) drive through (because this is the metric that the store's performance is based on almost exclusively), 2) curbside orders (for DoorDash), 3) walk in orders, then 4) pick up orders.

I'm not sure it's possible to get your food in under 15 minutes because you're either going into a very long drive through line or you're rolling the dice on whether your online order will get processed at all.

Combined with the weird game you have to play with pricing (everything is too expensive and you can only order certain items via the restaurant's app or get coupons via signing up for text promotions), I'm at a loss for why anyone does this on a regular basis. I can order a colossal burger and fries from a local place for less, and I can just call in the order and pick it up when it's supposed to be ready.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
They made Chrome worse. I haven't looked at all the ways it's worse, I just know it is.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Animal-Mother posted:

They made Chrome worse. I haven't looked at all the ways it's worse, I just know it is.

I feel like you could empty quote this every three weeks and be pretty accurate.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Animal-Mother posted:

We've said it 3 or 4 times in this thread, but this is the fate of Chrome and it's not ever gonna get better. Wait until ManifestV3!

It's not perfect, and Mozilla is real dumb at times, but Firefox is way less poo poo compared to Chrome these days.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

AARD VARKMAN posted:

this is really the worst part for me lmao, how DARE someone take their small child to the grocery store

Absolutely agree, you leave them in the loaded gun/knife/dangerous chemical store while you do your grocery shopping. Basic parenting 101.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

We've said it 3 or 4 times in this thread, but this is the fate of Chrome and it's not ever gonna get better. Wait until ManifestV3!

It's not perfect, and Mozilla is real dumb at times, but Firefox is way less poo poo compared to Chrome these days.

It's really great that so many things are a question of what you find to be the least poo poo. I've never said to myself "yep I like this laptop enough to get a new one with the same brand". All OSes suck. I'm sure there are plenty more that I'm not thinking of.

edit:
Just in case anyone is curious
Apple (I went through maybe like 3 magsafe power adapters when I was in college)
Microsoft/Razer (the speaker grills on the Razer were stickers, that came off and they wouldn't sell me a replacement for but sure I could send my computer in for it... lol) I recall the microsoft laptop had issues too, but they did have a store in the mall so that was nice.
Lenovo (assuming the display isn't poo poo like the one I had)
Sony/Asus/Samsung/Dell I'm presently on an Asus and I feel like it sucks even more but that may be because it's the one freshest in my mind.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 14, 2023

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

I hardly ever eat fast food, and holy poo poo is the experience just loving awful now. About a month ago, I was going to visit my dad, and he asked me to pick up an order at Taco Bell for him. He had already ordered and paid online and set a pick up time in the store. I ended up waiting 40 minutes in the lobby for some tacos because as it turns out, the fast food priority list for orders is 1) drive through (because this is the metric that the store's performance is based on almost exclusively), 2) curbside orders (for DoorDash), 3) walk in orders, then 4) pick up orders.

I'm not sure it's possible to get your food in under 15 minutes because you're either going into a very long drive through line or you're rolling the dice on whether your online order will get processed at all.

Combined with the weird game you have to play with pricing (everything is too expensive and you can only order certain items via the restaurant's app or get coupons via signing up for text promotions), I'm at a loss for why anyone does this on a regular basis. I can order a colossal burger and fries from a local place for less, and I can just call in the order and pick it up when it's supposed to be ready.

Yep. I'm pretty fed up with fast food. The entire reason I'd get it when I was younger is because it was cheap. Now the quality is down, despite everyone saying they're making it better, and the prices are way up. I can get a Big Mac combo for $12 or whatever or get an Italian beef sandwich with fries at my local bar for $10.

I tried to look up whatever the Big Mac combo cost near me via the McDonald's website but was presented with this in which I have to download their app or use the other delivery services to just to view their prices.

gently caress you!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Hell yeah, most consumer behavior is just pretending that you can take an educated guess on whether this or that thing landed on the right side of being the minimal viable product, while knowing deep down you have no way of actually evaluating it and that the are no constants, no trustworthy brands, no reliable advice, everything is in flux, the result of forces you couldn't observe even if you wanted to.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

skooma512 posted:

App stuff has proven to be pretty ephemeral as it is too. I had a Fitbit in 2015 because work was just giving them out, and by 2021 the hardware was all poo poo and Google bought them and they are being imploded. Less than 7 years and all that poo poo is e-waste now, and usually within 3 years of purchase anyway. There will be weeks when an app just doesn't work. The Taco Bell app was that way for me, just immediate crash, and they didn't fix it for a week. I tried to get my mom a fitness band that was comparable to fitbit, and the biggest brand is Huawei, which is lol is now under embargo in the west and you can't get their app for a product from a year or two ago.

Like nothing about the app store ecosystem is about longevity. Products go in and out all the time, updates just break poo poo, they abandon apps. At least something hardcoded can't have all functionality shaved away when they feel like revenue is lagging.

Look into either the Xiaomi Mi Band, or any of the Amazefit watches if you'd prefer a smartwatch-style tracker. I've had both, and the Mi Band is inexpensive, lasts a while, and is everything you need and nothing you don't.

https://www.amazon.com/Xiaomi-Version-Fitness-Tracker-Monitoring/dp/B0CGX7VD4X
https://www.amazon.com/Amazfit-Fitness-Tracker-Battery-Compatible-Black/dp/B09Z6GMPC6 This is the one i'm currently using.

We Got Us A Bread fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 14, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Hell yeah, most consumer behavior is just pretending that you can take an educated guess on whether this or that thing landed on the right side of being the minimal viable product, while knowing deep down you have no way of actually evaluating it and that the are no constants, no trustworthy brands, no reliable advice, everything is in flux, the result of forces you couldn't observe even if you wanted to.

Yeah drop shopping really undermines the entire brand trust thing

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Original_Z posted:

I was looking at cars the other day, I've always liked Toyota Camries but now apparently a bunch of the functionality is locked behind a stupid app subscription? Are you kidding? Apparently Lexus is the same way, maybe other manufactures too but I didn't check. Things like remote start or using GPS maps you don't just pay a set price now but have to pay a monthly fee. Insanity, and cars are more expensive than ever now!

Doesn't it have a button on the keyfob? Where did you get this info? Looks like older models just click lock twice then hold it and it'll remote start. We just bought at Hyundai with app capable of remote start but the keyfob does the same job.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's not just drop shipping. If a brand that used to make a decent product gets bought by another entity; if they bring in new management; or if they change anything in their manufacturing, they can and will start selling crap under the previously respected labels, and you won't find out until until experiencing the decline first hand.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

[stands up, raises arms] McDonald's!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I wrote out the framework for a dystopian future novel a while back and in my dystopian future, jobs are mostly gone and people earn their income by watching ads all day, with different corporations paying into the wage pool in the hope of having better ads and drawing proportionally more of that money back to themselves

quote:

You wake at 5:30AM to the tenement's morning siren with thirty minutes to get ready for work. After downing a quick bowl of crickets & wheat you retrieve a bucket and sponge from your studio apartment's closet. The sponge is still wet from yesterday's shower, which means you have enough water to wash your hair this time. You carefully extract into the bucket three cups of water from the faucet and strip naked, sponging yourself and making a mental note to buy soap next time you get paid, then run tepid water through your hair while massaging your scalp. You dry yourself using yesterday's clothes and put on an identical outfit from your Tesla auto-closet. Sitting in your bedroom cubicle makes the five monitors positioned throughout your field of view flicker to life and pollute your windowless apartment with a sickly blue glow.

You sign in to work and check your email to review the daily bonus targets. Nothing too unusual: allow brain monitoring, view for 10 consecutive minutes without blinking, and complete three buy-it-now purchases. You check your standing on the weekly target. You'll need to chant your primary monitor's sponsor's daily tagline throughout at least 60% of the day if you want to stay on track for the reward this week. You instinctively click the button to consent to five ads at a time today, forgetting that you meant to set one screen aside to study for your Work License exam. You've been working toward the exam for two years and are almost licensed - once you are, you'll be eligible to work as a corporate volunteer while earning the 60 months of experience you'll need before you can register for the Salary License exam.

Thinking about this distracts you and your workstation expresses disappointment by penalizing you for the seconds of lost viewing. You concentrate on pulling yourself together, to get into the flow of monitoring five simultaneous ad feeds, but this distracts you long enough to miss the obligatory "freebie" to satisfy today's buy-it-now quest: individual fun-sized 3 Musketeers bars for $3 US Digital Dollars each. The algorithm assumes you're uninterested in low-cost products today, so the $15 USDD reward from the daily quest is essentially forfeit. Knowing that you need soap, the algorithm saturates your feed with the ads of various soap brands. You suddenly remember to chant "Amazon Prime - Half-Price Shipping and always on time." Eleven hours and 45 minutes remain in your shift.

---

It's 9:30am and your eyes sting, so you purchase a $5 break. Having completed all three of your daily bonuses today, you allow your eyes to close, but only for two minutes - you still need to use the restroom before your break is over. The remaining three minutes are spent requesting a bottle from the chute, peeing in it, and sending it back. It feels great to be in an apartment with an in-unit toilet system. Then it's back to the cubicle.

Your supervisor sends you a report of your daily metrics. You've missed 7% of your daily viewing time today to blinking and glancing away, and if you don't get below 5% by the end of your shift you'll lose half your pay.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I've had ideas for dystopian novels/stories, and I've chosen to not record them in any way for fear of bringing a new torment nexus to the world. It sounds narcissistic to lay it out that way, but I stand by my choice

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

quote:

Introducing Offscreen Documents, which provide DOM access for extensions to use in a variety of scenarios like audio playback

this is the absolute dumbest poo poo I've ever heard of

Duck and Cover posted:

It's really great that so many things are a question of what you find to be the least poo poo. I've never said to myself "yep I like this laptop enough to get a new one with the same brand". All OSes suck. I'm sure there are plenty more that I'm not thinking of.

:hmmyes: the dumbest part of all of that is certain manufacturers have :airquote: Good Models :airquote: where the capitalism stars aligned and the manufacturer built a reliable product. For example, I have a Surface Pro 4, which was highly regarded as the one "good" Surface Pro product. The yearly iterations have mostly sucked poo poo up to the most recent one however, because why put the energy/effort into designing a product that gains market share? Idiots are going to buy Microsoft poo poo no matter what

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I just got my second invite this week to participate in a pre-recorded video job interview where an AI analyzes your eye movements and body language to determine if you're being truthful with your answers. God help you if you have a disability or something

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

deep dish peat moss posted:

I just got my second invite this week to participate in a pre-recorded video job interview where an AI analyzes your eye movements and body language to determine if you're being truthful with your answers.

Come on, give us the address so we can burn it down

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

TotalLossBrain posted:

Come on, give us the address so we can burn it down

This is the service that does the interviews

https://www.hirevue.com/

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Also they send you an email full of advice for the interview which is things like buy the best clothes you can possibly afford (it even says this is extra important if you are "of low socioeconomic status" aka not white), pantomime how excited and enthusiastic you are, and set up studio-quality lighting so our AI doesn't make mistakes

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I just got my second invite this week to participate in a pre-recorded video job interview where an AI analyzes your eye movements and body language to determine if you're being truthful with your answers. God help you if you have a disability or something

Are you applying for a job in security or otherwise sensitive material?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

redshirt posted:

Are you applying for a job in security or otherwise sensitive material?

Nope these have both been pretty low level positions because I'm desperate

Also they only give you 48 hours to do the interview and if you don't do it you get called from a call center in India to do a phone interview instead

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Nope these have both been pretty low level positions because I'm desperate

Also they only give you 48 hours to do the interview and if you don't do it you get called from a call center in India to do a phone interview instead

You gonna wait or let the AI judge you?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I waited on the last one and then declined the phone interview but this time I will submit myself to AI Judgment

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Comedy twist, the prospective employer is using Grok for this.
The AI roasts you mercilessly immediately after the interview, in cringe Musk style.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

StormDrain posted:

Doesn't it have a button on the keyfob? Where did you get this info? Looks like older models just click lock twice then hold it and it'll remote start. We just bought at Hyundai with app capable of remote start but the keyfob does the same job.

According to people talking about it online, the keyfob remote start is disabled when the subscription lapses. I'm sure the next step will require a subscription just to do remote door lock/unlock.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I waited on the last one and then declined the phone interview but this time I will submit myself to AI Judgment

Good luck, and be nice. The AI might remember when they take over.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Original_Z posted:

According to people talking about it online, the keyfob remote start is disabled when the subscription lapses. I'm sure the next step will require a subscription just to do remote door lock/unlock.

This is what we were told, however the Toyota guy said it may not actually disable, depending on unknown circumstances. My wife just plans on paying for the app, but I’m hoping something will change before then.

The $10 / mth future is so stupid

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

Original_Z posted:

Remote start button has been physically removed from Toyota key fobs.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

shazbot posted:

Remote start button will be physically removed from Toyota key fobs by a Toyota employee 12 hours after the subscription lapses

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
they have $50 remote start kits you can buy, whats the point of a sub for them

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Some remote starts are cell phone network powered, so there's a actual cost associated. The real reason for the car update subscriptions is to force let the driver to pay for the features of a higher trim package but only be able to resell the base model, not any of the paid-for "upgrades"

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Sentient Data posted:

Some remote starts are cell phone network powered, so there's a actual cost associated. The real reason for the car update subscriptions is to force let the driver to pay for the features of a higher trim package but only be able to resell the base model, not any of the paid-for "upgrades"

And this shifting of costs to premium consumers makes the base models less expensive? Okay that makes sense.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
no its just more techno-feudalism. Car manufacturers started developing all this poo poo to support OBD-III, which got nixed, and then some clever beancounter figured out they could use sell those features to customers. BMW and Toyota are moving forward with it specifically because wtf will you do? Not buy a BMW or Toyota?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

His Divine Shadow posted:

I live where it's just as cold and remote starting is like the laziest cheapest hackiest solution, bad for the car and environment. I can't believe people live where it's cold like that and haven't developed something better.

I know "letting the engine warm up" isn't a concern on modern vehicles, but if you try driving off in a cold cabin the moisture from your breath and body has a bad habit of freezing onto the windshield causing visibility issues.

Maybe electric cars are better about this since they use resistive heating which can get hot right away rather than waiting for the engine to warm up to the point where its waste heat lets you safely see the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
If by modern you mean electric I agree. But if it's a gas or diesel then starting the engine when it's very cold is an issue even on the most modern cars, both from causing excessive wear and environmental perspectives of the engine running cold. Where I live it's even against the law to let the car idle too long.