Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Yup I have tell tails.

Actually speaking of them, one thing I've noticed with my genoa is that the top will be flying perfectly but it gets progressively worse the further down the sail I get. Especially with the headsail I'm not really sure how to adjust for that given that I really only have one point of control (the sheet).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Do you have cars for the jib sheets? You can adjust twist with them.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah adjust the jib cars to fix the twist. Generally you have like 6-14 holes of adjustment, but you'll use only two. One for upwind in light air and downwind, one for upwind in heavy air

Add some extra tell tales, get out a GPS on an average day, get your main dialed in, then play with the car on the car track, and then play with sheet tension to see how far the genoa is off the spreader and figure out what settings give you the best GPS speed. That should give you a baseline and then you can adjust from there

Sorry if this wasn't clear but when adding extra tell tales, you want to add them 6-8" from the forestay, spaced about 6' apart going up the forestay. Then put some about 1' back from the luff. This will give you a good idea of where the flow is breaking and where you're losing power. Tell tails actually attached to the luff are good for getting you to 25% but adding them to the surface of the sail elsewhere gives you a ton of information. Take a video and narrate what's happening and what the wind/boat speed/direction is and you can really nerd out and come back the next day and really get it dialed in

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 31, 2023

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I don't have cars unfortunately, although it's pretty consistent so might just be a matter of dialling in where the block clipped into the toerail is.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Job car track can be installed for the low low price of whatever used jib car track goes for these days, and about twelve 316 bolts and $10 worth of 3M 4200 that's a worthwhile use of 90 minutes of your time.

If you're willing to go all the way up to $150 budget you can buy two of what are called "low friction rings" to create what are called "3D jib cars" basically you can move the jib car way inboard and above the deck to get the perfect sail shape. All the cool kids are using them these days

I guess the other name is "floating jib lead"

The ring is made of lightweight, super high strength aluminum, with a groove around the outside you can loop splice it to rope, and it's got a coating that's 80% as "fluid" as a real pulley, but needs no maintenance and has no moving parts. 80% is fine because you don't pull it that much under load and you're really only deflecting the line by 15-20° typically

Looks like they're about $40 each so maybe as low as $80 depending on the line you have on board

https://www.westmarine.com/antal-20mm-low-friction-ring-11859501.html

Antal is the big name brand, or was when I was playing around with this stuff in '19. These rings aren't allowed in my very strict one design class so I'm stuck with jib cars

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 31, 2023

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I closed on a new boat! You guys mind if I post a bunch of pics?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Hadlock posted:

3D jib stuff

Can't use it in my one-design either, but holy hell do I ever not want more lines to deal with. Appropriate tracks for the jib cars works just fine.

Karma Comedian posted:

Please do!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Karma Comedian posted:

Post all the pics

We need more boating pics in this thread overall

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Here's one, from checking up on the boat tonight. lovely lovely weather, btw.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Wibla posted:

Here's one, from checking up on the boat tonight. lovely lovely weather, btw.

That's my kinda weather! Keeps the amateurs at home.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Safety Dance posted:

That's my kinda weather! Keeps the amateurs at home.

I've picked up amateurs in this kind of weather before. Some of the poo poo you see while doing SAR in the Navy, sigh...

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

We sailed to Annapolis this past weekend and man I’ve got three-foot-itis real bad. We’ve had our Catalina 25 for 4 seasons now and not being able to stand up straight really wears on me.

As an impulsive person I’ve promised myself (and my less impulsive partner) one more season before moving up, but I definitely ogled the other boats in the mooring field the whole weekend. I believe I more accurately have 11-15 foot-itis.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

34-36 ft is fine, going beyond that things get a lot more expensive, very quickly.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Speaking of which the Schenker Zen 50 watermaker I just ordered cost me $8500 😭

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I had to google those, drat watermakers have come a long way since I worked on RO plants a few years ago :haw:

ET_375
Nov 20, 2013

Erwin posted:

We sailed to Annapolis this past weekend and man I’ve got three-foot-itis real bad. We’ve had our Catalina 25 for 4 seasons now and not being able to stand up straight really wears on me.

As an impulsive person I’ve promised myself (and my less impulsive partner) one more season before moving up, but I definitely ogled the other boats in the mooring field the whole weekend. I believe I more accurately have 11-15 foot-itis.

If the headroom thing is your main frustration but you like the size of the boat otherwise, the Dana 24 is pretty good in that regard. I'm 73", and while I'll brush my head if I stand dead straight up, I'll stay clear if I'm just walking around. Probably not as fast as your Catalina though. Crealock's other designs (thinking the 37 and 44 in particular) also tend to be pretty roomy inside for their length. But yeah, longer=exponentially more $$ overall, especially as the the larger boats (or even the Dana 24) move to inboards and more systems like pressurized water, HVAC, etc.

ET_375 fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 1, 2023

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Just ask me how much I've put into getting my Catalina 42 ready for off-grid/offshore in the past 2 years... 😆😭

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

TrueChaos posted:

Please do!

Hadlock posted:

Post all the pics

We need more boating pics in this thread overall
Okay! She's a 1974 Gulfstar 44 cc mk ii

There were some minor blisters but they've been repaired and are ready for fairing and paint:

The decks are pretty solid considering the age, and the hull tapped out completely sound!

Previous owners installed a new bimini:

Interior:

And the heart and soul of any ship, the engine room:

Perkins 6.354, 6.5 kw Westerbeke Genset with 180 hours, brand new marine AC unit not even finished installation, and a new Sea Recovery Ultra 200 watermaker.

I'm pretty excited to be done with steel

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hell yeah

My friend has had a gulfstar 47 for 15+ years now and she loves it, super sturdy boat, nice shallow draft for anchoring

Looks like the decks got new paint sometime in the last 30 years which is a big plus. Very clean!

Never been on a center cockpit but they seem like a great layout, as does yours

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
That looks great, welcome to the full size cruiser club!

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Hell yeah

My friend has had a gulfstar 47 for 15+ years now and she loves it, super sturdy boat, nice shallow draft for anchoring

Looks like the decks got new paint sometime in the last 30 years which is a big plus. Very clean!

Never been on a center cockpit but they seem like a great layout, as does yours

Gulfstar 47 is kind of a dream of mine. This is the direct predecessor design to that line, they improved on the lessons they learned with these hulls to make the sailmasters.

The paint is pretty good, some touch up areas needed but nothing major.

Kenshin posted:

That looks great, welcome to the full size cruiser club!

Haha, thanks! This is our second 40'+ and I can't tell you how much better this one is laid out, my god.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Karma Comedian posted:

Haha, thanks! This is our second 40'+ and I can't tell you how much better this one is laid out, my god.

It's wild how different layouts can change things, especially livability. I swear my Catalina 42 has twice the interior volume of a 1-off 42-footer that failed to become a production boat I toured years back.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

ET_375 posted:

If the headroom thing is your main frustration but you like the size of the boat otherwise, the Dana 24 is pretty good in that regard. I'm 73", and while I'll brush my head if I stand dead straight up, I'll stay clear if I'm just walking around.

Headroom is the main thing, but there are some other gripes. I'm also 6'2" when I'm not goon-slouching but it seems like there are plenty of boats with that type of headroom.

We went with the Catalina 25 as our first boat because we wanted to try both trailering to cool places and tooling around on the Chesapeake. We knew going in that the 25 is not a trailer sailor so much as it is a boat that can be moved by trailer from time to time, but it's also big enough to be comfortable on the bay. We figured we'd learn which of the two options we preferred, and we definitely spend more time cruising out of our marina than we do hauling it elsewhere to sail. We've had it up to a lake in upstate NY a few times, and I do want to get at least one other lake trip in while we have it. The best part about the trailer is being able to park it at home over the winter for winter projects instead of driving an hour and a half each way to work on it.

Since we use it more as a bay cruiser, my list of gripes come from its shortcomings in that role:
- lack of headroom
- porta-potty instead of a marine head (though it used to have one)
- camp stove and awful sink
- small cockpit (I have to climb over the dog to do anything if he's with us)
- no bimini
- quick to heel
- not a ton of reefing options (though that could be fixed for $$$)
- no privacy if we want to bring guests overnight
- short motoring range (though I love having the outboard for lots of reasons)

Don't get me wrong, as a lake cruiser it is fantastic.

I think what I'm hoping for in our next boat is just more RV and less camping. One or two private berths, a head with a door so guests don't need to pee within ear-shot, a comfortable cabin I can walk around in and cook a decent meal in, and a shaded cockpit I can move around in standing up instead of climbing over people and dogs. I took my ASA classes on a Pearson 39, and from what I've seen of Pearson 36s, they seem like a great size. Since I finished ASA104 maybe our next step should be to look at chartering something and seeing what we think about the bigger boat.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

ET_375 posted:

If the headroom thing is your main frustration but you like the size of the boat otherwise, the Dana 24 is pretty good in that regard.

Dana 24 is my "kids are at college and I want a boat I can safely singlehand until I'm well into my 70s" boat

That or an Erickson 35 mk ii

Both of those boats will be over 60 years old by that time though, so keeping my options open

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Most of the way through installing my Raymarine system (just need to finish fabricating the method of attaching the Axiom 2 Pro and finish mounting the i70s + p70s instruments).

But that means I got the NMEA2K/SeaTalkNG network all set up, and with the Victron VE.Can network linked into that (and powering it). One install of the Large OS image on my CerboGX, and I've got a Signal K server up and running. Combined with Victron's VRM, it means as long as the boat is connected to the internet, I can view all my virtual instruments with real time data on my phone:

GPS coordinates are coming from the XB8000 AIS receiver.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Nov 21, 2023

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

After literally years of dithering and delays related to unemployment and having a baby I finally pulled the trigger on a new to me boat. It's a 2016 jeanneau cap camarat 4.7 with a 2019 60hp Mariner engine. It's not gonna break any speed records but as I've never had a boat capable of doing more than 6 or 7 knots it'll be fast to me, any recommendations on a YouTube video or something that can teach me a little about how to get the most out of it, trim it properly etc? I'll probably do a weekend powerboat course or something this spring.

I was also wondering do you have any recommendations for a cheap handheld vhf radio I can throw in the console when I'm out in it? The lake I'm on isn't big enough that I'm ever out of phone coverage but it can't hurt to have a backup. I'm also probably gonna wire in a spotlight at some stage as well as I'll probably use it to fish off at dusk and might be coming back after dark, I've been browsing Ali baba looking at radios and spotlights there's all sorts of crap you can get, is putting underwater led lights on it terribly gauche?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I asked about spot lights on my new boat last year for nighttime navigation and people were pretty much like don't bother.

If you search some of my posts in this thread it'll be in there probably last March or so.

I did a power boat course too. I had a guy come down to the dock and show me poo poo. I think it was more useful than sitting in a class. If that's available to you I'd recommend that

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

That's interesting thanks, I don't see myself using for navigation really. I more want to mount it on the side of the center console within arms reach on a ball mount and have a handle on the back to aim it. It's more for getting out of a bay with rocks that I have to poke around and for the last 50m into the mooring. I suppose I could install a 12v socket and carry a handheld but it would be easier if I'm on my own to have it mounted.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

SomeDrunkenMick posted:

After literally years of dithering and delays related to unemployment and having a baby I finally pulled the trigger on a new to me boat. It's a 2016 jeanneau cap camarat 4.7 with a 2019 60hp Mariner engine. It's not gonna break any speed records but as I've never had a boat capable of doing more than 6 or 7 knots it'll be fast to me, any recommendations on a YouTube video or something that can teach me a little about how to get the most out of it, trim it properly etc? I'll probably do a weekend powerboat course or something this spring.

I was also wondering do you have any recommendations for a cheap handheld vhf radio I can throw in the console when I'm out in it? The lake I'm on isn't big enough that I'm ever out of phone coverage but it can't hurt to have a backup. I'm also probably gonna wire in a spotlight at some stage as well as I'll probably use it to fish off at dusk and might be coming back after dark, I've been browsing Ali baba looking at radios and spotlights there's all sorts of crap you can get, is putting underwater led lights on it terribly gauche?

The Standard Horizon HX210 is a sub-$100 handheld VHF that I clip to myself or a lifeline whenever I'm sailing. I think it's $99 from WestMarine or Amazon, maybe a bit cheaper or more expensive from other suppliers. I've used it to transmit on two occasions, and it was totally fine both times. It's waterproof, it floats, and when it falls overboard a strobe light comes on so you can find it again (I have experience with this). The built-in rechargeable battery basically lasts forever in between uses. I highly recommend it.

Regarding a spotlight, I think you'd be better served by having the Navionics app on your phone. That will show you not only exposed rocks, but also submerged obstacles and shoals you should avoid and such. Of course, I don't know where you operate, maybe you're dealing with really tight quarters and lights make sense. Follow your bliss.

Powerboats are supposed to be tacky. Put all the underwater LEDs you want on there.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 30, 2023

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I had no idea Jeanneau made boats that don't sail.

Learn somethin' new everyday.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I have purchased many Standard Horizon handheld VHFs over the years, and they have been pretty reliable. Mostly what kills them is the waterproofing fails and the screen gets wet. This is with daily commercial use though. A good case for actually getting an extended warranty IMO, West Marine makes it pretty painless.

Icom makes nice radios, they are more rugged but so is the price. Uniden are pretty cheap but fine, usually WM branded VHFs are Unidens.

Floaters are at least plausibly recoverable and I have done it under sail but it's easy to lose track of a tiny black object in the water. It adds a lot of bulk which may matter depending on if you plan to wear it 24/7 or want it to fit in a pocket. Being able to hook up a remote mic may be a feature you want. Many have GPS built into them too and you can do distress signals/DSC calls with the handheld which you may want, especially if you have a dinghy that you might want to make a call from.

The problem with a spotlight mounted close enough to manually aim is there is bound to be glare that will ruin your night vision. You can get some with a remote control if you need to be able to aim it, or just get it close enough and leave it static, you could even do multiple to allow you to switch which side is illuminated. I am going to wire up some cheap LED offroader floods with a CLA plug and rail clamp for my little Whaler just to have an option. I have a handheld flood on the sailboat but it's 50' so the crew holding it is usually on the bow and pretty far away from me, I also barely ever need it because my night vision is still good.

Not sure where you live so I can't give specific school recs but some are certainly better than others. I have a captain license and have done some coaching on people's boats and depending on where you are in the learning curve you may get a lot more out of doing lessons on your own boat, but they also tend to be a lot more focused on a handful of skills so if you think you need something more broad a more general class might be the better option now.

Kenshin posted:

I had no idea Jeanneau made boats that don't sail.

Learn somethin' new everyday.

Beneteau does too. I'm in SF Bay which skews heavily towards sailing but there are a few around.

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

Thanks, I just ordered a uniden radio. Its cheap but will do all I need it for.
Think I might just go ahead and order a cheap led pod and a rail clamp and stick it on there. If it's blinding me I can just take it off and I'm not out too much. The boat came with a garmin echomap unit and the charts for my area which is great but to be honest I know the lake I'm on pretty well and I can already tell that it's not perfect, especially in some of the less well travelled parts of the lake. A light and a good lookout is best for those situations. There's a local group who have done an incredibly detailed survey and publish their charts every year but I don't think they can be used on the garmin, unless garmin units can be jailbroken or something?

I'm in Ireland and spend a lot of time in France and Spain for work and they're really common there. That's where I saw them and thought they'd be ideal as a family runabout/ferry to the pub or lunch spots boat for myself.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Safety Dance posted:

Powerboats are supposed to be tacky. Put all the underwater LEDs you want on there.

All the boomers in my area have gone full :rice: with their pontoon boats.

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

Finally got to get out on the water to try out the new boat today, it was cold but clear and pretty calm so a nice day to get used to it. Started first time, ran a little smoky at first but that cleared after a minute when it warmed up. After a couple of tentative starts I got it up on a plane and messed around with the trim and different thrust settings and got a bit of a feel for it. Bit unnerved by the speed at first as I'm used to tootling around at 5 kts but I'll get used to it, it'll help that I can get to a great steak and porter place in 15 or so mins from the families fishing cottage now. Forgot to bring the GPS depth finder unit like a dope so I'll test that out the next time, overall I'm really happy everything works except the trim gauge which is a bit all over the place but I expect you'll eventually learn to trim it by feel rpms etc so I'm not too worried.

One question that's occurred to me is how does the speedo work on a boat this size? And does it bear much resemblance to reality?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ask the locals where all the sunken logs are in your area that people catch their props on, so you can skip learning that lesson the hard way

I have a 3" GPS speedo on my 51mph go kart that's probably designed with this use case in mind but I'm not a power boat guy

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B081JN8S8X

I think I paid around $50 for it

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
The speedometer on my boat is a tiny hole on the front of the outdrive attached to a tube that goes to the speedometer. The needle is basically a pressure gauge and the faster you go the more pressure builds up at the tiny intake scoop. I've found they are about 5mph off at ~60* compared to a GPS, which is better than I'd expect from mechanically measuring your speed across a liquid.

*I've also seen a couple that are hilariously wrong. Always double check yours at a couple speeds before you trust it at all.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

SomeDrunkenMick posted:

Finally got to get out on the water to try out the new boat today, it was cold but clear and pretty calm so a nice day to get used to it. Started first time, ran a little smoky at first but that cleared after a minute when it warmed up. After a couple of tentative starts I got it up on a plane and messed around with the trim and different thrust settings and got a bit of a feel for it. Bit unnerved by the speed at first as I'm used to tootling around at 5 kts but I'll get used to it, it'll help that I can get to a great steak and porter place in 15 or so mins from the families fishing cottage now. Forgot to bring the GPS depth finder unit like a dope so I'll test that out the next time, overall I'm really happy everything works except the trim gauge which is a bit all over the place but I expect you'll eventually learn to trim it by feel rpms etc so I'm not too worried.

One question that's occurred to me is how does the speedo work on a boat this size? And does it bear much resemblance to reality?

Hunh. Thats a neat boat, gives me some hobie power skiff vibes.

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

Elmnt80 posted:

Hunh. Thats a neat boat, gives me some hobie power skiff vibes.

Thanks I'm pretty happy with it, it's not a rocket ship but there's a decent freeboard on it and I reckon I can bring non boating people and my toddler on it and they'll feel comfortable.

Think I'm gonna order a donut before the summer, there's no ski pole on it but I was thinking if I ran a line between the aft cleats either side with a shackle or a carabiner on it so that it sits behind the engine I could pull something behind it?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Don't use the cleats for towing if you can avoid it. There should be a U-bolt through the hull on either side of the motor that are more structural* that you can use. They make special Y shaped ropes that you can attach a tube or ski rope to for people such as yourself. I don't know what they're called because I've never had to use one but I know they exist.

Pulling stuff behind a boat involves more force than you'd think. I had a cheap carabiner I used once to pull a wakeboarder behind a little pontoon boat and it bent into a perfect right angle, and tubes are even worse because they have more drag (make sure you buy the right rope and at least a carabiner with a weight rating). Cleats on your boat might be up to the task.

*Usually. Check if your owner's manual says anything about pulling stuff before listening to some idiot on The Internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Ask the locals where all the sunken logs are in your area that people catch their props on, so you can skip learning that lesson the hard way

I have a 3" GPS speedo on my 51mph go kart that's probably designed with this use case in mind but I'm not a power boat guy

Thanks, I have a garmin gps that gives a speed readout so I can use that to crosscheck.

Years of clipping the prop and breaking a number of shear pins in my dads old fishing boat with a 5 horse suzuki means I have a healthy sense of paranoia about where those logs are. One day when I was 16 I broke 2 in the space of an hour. There was only one spare so I ended up adrift but spotted an old wreck on the shore, rowed in and pulled a copper nail out of it with a leatherman and cut it down to size. It got me home but for years after till he upgraded to an engine with a slip clutch we carried 5 or 6 spare shear pins taped to the inside of the engine cover.

Cat Hatter posted:

Don't use the cleats for towing if you can avoid it. There should be a U-bolt through the hull on either side of the motor that are more structural* that you can use. They make special Y shaped ropes that you can attach a tube or ski rope to for people such as yourself. I don't know what they're called because I've never had to use one but I know they exist.

Pulling stuff behind a boat involves more force than you'd think. I had a cheap carabiner I used once to pull a wakeboarder behind a little pontoon boat and it bent into a perfect right angle, and tubes are even worse because they have more drag (make sure you buy the right rope and at least a carabiner with a weight rating). Cleats on your boat might be up to the task.

*Usually. Check if your owner's manual says anything about pulling stuff before listening to some idiot on The Internet.

There is actually u bolts in the transom, thanks for that I had no idea what they were for. The manual is on the boat so next time I'm on it I'll see what it says about pulling a tube with them.