Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Assetto Corsa 2 next year? Or massively wishful thinking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Not a great sign they said it was delayed to continue to expand ACC but I'm hyped for it. I'm mostly into iracing for the easy head to head racing but driving random cars in AC is a good time

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Have they said if it's using Unreal like ACC?

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I think they've said it's their own engine, something evolved from AC. Which has me excited as I'm a VR racer and everything I've heard about ACC makes it sound terrible for VR due to UE.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Assetto Corsa 2 next year? Or massively wishful thinking?

What would you want from AC2 that you can't get right now with AC content manager? I guess an entirely new engine and physics but I feel like they're just as likely to get it wrong as they are improve it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

What would you want from AC2 that you can't get right now with AC content manager?

Ovals :(

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Isn't i racing making a new ovals game in 24/25?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

tater_salad posted:

Isn't i racing making a new ovals game in 24/25?

For consoles. iracing is their desktop oval game.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Has EA Sports WRC had some performance boosts? I guess I can live with some shader stutter and generally ugly courses since I loved Dirt Rally 2.0.

It got a huge patch today with lots of performance fixes. Not sure if they did anything, havent had time to test it myself.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

What would you want from AC2 that you can't get right now with AC content manager? I guess an entirely new engine and physics but I feel like they're just as likely to get it wrong as they are improve it.

I don't know, but it is in development, it is releasing no matter what. Just waiting for there just be information at all about it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

necrotic posted:

For consoles. iracing is their desktop oval game.

99% sure it had a pic of steam in the promo.
Yup..
I racing has acquired NASCAR video game rights for PC and console

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

tater_salad posted:

99% sure it had a pic of steam in the promo.
Yup..
I racing has acquired NASCAR video game rights for PC and console
Oh yes, this article from nascar says “simulation style console game ”… https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2023/10/05/iracing-acquires-nascar-team-properties-exclusive-simulation-style-console-racing-game-license/

But the image has steam there. I think my confusion is forgivable, but maybe not my laziness!

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

VelociBacon posted:

Better/faster AI. As it is I have to throw in a bunch of ballast/run with restrictor to go as slow as the AI, especially in cars with low grip. It's a really difficult balancing act and very annoying.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

The ability to install and run it like a normal rear end game

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

VelociBacon posted:

Proper day/night cycles and weather integration and a multiplayer system that isn't a complete goddamned nightmare to get going.

My league has pretty much completely forsworn AC because it was such a pig to run. We're just waiting for the AMS2 multiplayer fix and we'll be right back to that.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

necrotic posted:

Oh yes, this article from nascar says “simulation style console game ”… https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2023/10/05/iracing-acquires-nascar-team-properties-exclusive-simulation-style-console-racing-game-license/

But the image has steam there. I think my confusion is forgivable, but maybe not my laziness!

no it's fine it's also the mistake I made.
I hope it's decent and doesn't eat poo poo like most nascar games.
-Adam

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Quinntan posted:

Proper day/night cycles and weather integration and a multiplayer system that isn't a complete goddamned nightmare to get going.

My league has pretty much completely forsworn AC because it was such a pig to run. We're just waiting for the AMS2 multiplayer fix and we'll be right back to that.

The AMS2 devs have more-or-less declared that its multiplayer difficulties are inherent to the engine, so AC2 is the best hope in the medium-term.

My hope for AC2 - and I think this is shared by a lot of people - is something new. We've been playing the same titles patched, modded, and DLC'd for years now. A fresh start on a new title whose multiplayer works well would do The Hobby a world of good, IMO.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

TjyvTompa posted:

It got a huge patch today with lots of performance fixes. Not sure if they did anything, havent had time to test it myself.

1.3 came out last month and apparently failed to fix the severe pausing/stuttering problems. I'll see what people think of the new patch, I guess, but I wonder if this is just down to issues with UE4.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Got a Quest 3 today to try out VR. Didn't play very long, was getting a headache, read you should ease into it over a few days. I tried iRacing and it worked right away, my 3080 was able to hold around 90fps. ACC worked too but looked worse than iRacing, have to mess with settings I guess but I don't play this much anyway. Only flight related game I have is SW Squadrons and I couldn't get that to work, the VR toggle in the settings just made the screen blank.

Problem in iracing and acc was onscreen hud stuff gets put into weird spots. The iracing virtual rearview mirror is so high up, and the rear mirror on the miata is huge and too close.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
All ui elements in iracing are movable with like Ctrl+k or something.

I had bad headaches for a while and the solution was a better step setup, I went with bobovr and don't regret it a bit.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

It does take some time to adjust to VR and unnatural movements. Going in reverse was pure throw up time when I started VR.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

phosdex posted:

Got a Quest 3 today to try out VR. Didn't play very long, was getting a headache, read you should ease into it over a few days. I tried iRacing and it worked right away, my 3080 was able to hold around 90fps. ACC worked too but looked worse than iRacing, have to mess with settings I guess but I don't play this much anyway. Only flight related game I have is SW Squadrons and I couldn't get that to work, the VR toggle in the settings just made the screen blank.

Problem in iracing and acc was onscreen hud stuff gets put into weird spots. The iracing virtual rearview mirror is so high up, and the rear mirror on the miata is huge and too close.

You never had to move the iracing hud poo poo even without vr? Are you using black boxes at all?

You really need to get in the discord imo this kind of thing is why it exists.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I know some of them are movable, I never tried to move the mirror.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
You can't move the in-car mirror but you can move the virtual one

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Forgot to say its really cool. At first I tried No Mans Sky and it only launched in a window and I was sitting there like is this it you play watching a window but in vr? But then I got it working.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Is a boxed copy of Automobilista 2 a thing that exists? Kinda want to give it to my brother for Christmas and a printout is a bummer.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Nope, there were boxed copies of GSCE but I don't know that they did one for the AMS1 rebrand and AMS2 is Steam only.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

TheScott2K posted:

Is a boxed copy of Automobilista 2 a thing that exists? Kinda want to give it to my brother for Christmas and a printout is a bummer.
Stick inside a hotwheels box. With a bonus that he'll have a hotwheels car to play with. Maybe a cheap usb stick instead of a printout so he doesn't have to type it in.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

My brother is so fuckin hard to buy for, man. He does sim racing so that's a thing, but then I've gotta figure out what he doesn't have. Maybe I'll put the printout in some racing gloves.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Get everyone you love some Daniel Morad sim racing socks

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
What if I don't love anyone

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Juan Pablo Montoya is on cameo. Pay him to say "hey, your brother bought you a copy of Automobilista 2." and then read out the code (you will spend more on the message than the game...)

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Got him one of those haptic pads for his playseat. That'll be fun.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Does anyone have a good guide for setting up a wheel? Like how far my arms should be from the wheel, where to hold it, posture, positioning, etc

Wrists getting sore so i feel im doing something wrong

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I picked up EA WRC on Steam. Feels a lot like Dirt Rally 3, which is hardly a bad thing. I have noticed occasional stutters but it seems to be a lot less of an issue than it was originally, at least in single player. The environments are still pretty ugly compared to Forza Horizon, which isn't likely to change.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

Kvlt! posted:

Does anyone have a good guide for setting up a wheel? Like how far my arms should be from the wheel, where to hold it, posture, positioning, etc

Daniel Morad has a video on YouTube that's a good start, from there it's just tweaking. Afaik you want the wheel close enough your elbows are at 90 deg, height kind of centered in your chest, and angled such that you have a natural straight line from forearm to thumb when you hold the wheel. A good check for elbow position is if you rest your hand/arm on top of your wheel it should rest with your wrist bone just past the top of the wheel.

Wheel too far can lead to shoulder issues from holding your arms up, too close or too angled can crank your wrists and cause soreness there.

Might be helpful to post a pic of you sitting at your wheel if you can.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Loaded up EA Sports WRC for the first time since mid November and performance seems much, much better now. Was a hard stutter off the line the first couple stages, but was buttery smooth the entire time thereafter.

On the less good side, loaded it up a because I wanted to finish out the season 1 of the rally pass without realizing how hilariously grindy it gets in the later levels. Looking it up, some :reddit: person who tested it claims you get ~70 XP per km driven which seemed about accurate looking after a few runs. To which after hitting level 15, I calculated I'd have to drive ~200 miles to get level 16 (presumably more for 17 and beyond) which is kind of crazy. Even if I had loaded it up over the weekend like I'd planned to, would've needed to put in like 10+ hours both days to get the fanciest decals which wouldn't have been remotely worth it. :laugh:

On the positive side, game still hella fun even in trying to min/max XP gains first by Moments and then, after realizing how stupendously slow that was, cherry picking fast stages to blitz through in a WRC. So fun I regret putting it on hold so much after picking up F1 23.*

On the less positive side, was hoping adding VR to EA Sports WRC was on the relatively short list and would come in the December patch. My 27in monitor at behind my wheel length just doesn't work great for having a good FOV.

* Despite them not really making the VR suck less (well, maybe a little, it crashes SteamVR/the game entirely much less for me), but at least the cars don't handle like pure garbage like they did in F1 22--you can accelerate while touching a kerb without insta-spinning again so that's a huge plus.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

TheScott2K posted:

My brother is so fuckin hard to buy for, man. He does sim racing so that's a thing, but then I've gotta figure out what he doesn't have. Maybe I'll put the printout in some racing gloves.

If he's really into it he's using iracing, you can buy gift certificates on their website.

Kvlt! posted:

We have a whole channel about this on the discord. Definitely a solved problem.

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum
Anyone else just randomly get invited to try Rennsport?

The tire model feels strange to me. But I'm not good enough to know if it's more realistic or not. It's hard to describe, but it kinda feels like you get way too much grip out of the tires until you turn the wheel beyond a certain point, and then you get no grip. I find myself spinning GT3s in Rennsport in new and inventive ways that I don't do in ACC or iRacing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Fender posted:

Anyone else just randomly get invited to try Rennsport?

The tire model feels strange to me. But I'm not good enough to know if it's more realistic or not. It's hard to describe, but it kinda feels like you get way too much grip out of the tires until you turn the wheel beyond a certain point, and then you get no grip. I find myself spinning GT3s in Rennsport in new and inventive ways that I don't do in ACC or iRacing.

Some people say it feels very similar to rFactor 2 actually.