Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

they should let me equip hats to my weapons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Overwatch is for sickos that think the pinnacle of shooters is joining tight matches where you lose/win MMR and thus prove your worth over the reeking plebeians. TF2 is a living shitpost where having a giggle is the most virtuous action and well don’t that beat all.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Solarin posted:

Overwatch is for sickos that think the pinnacle of shooters is joining tight matches where you lose/win MMR and thus prove your worth over the reeking plebeians. TF2 is a living shitpost where having a giggle is the most virtuous action and well don’t that beat all.

I've never played Overwatch, but I'm guessing there's no analogous situation in that game where A) a melee-only heavy Kool-Aid-mans into the middle of the my team, and everyone at once puts away their weapons to engage him in melee-only fisticuffs, 2: I hit my Scaredy-Cat taunt to scream in abject terror at the heavy's ferocity, and iii] no one gets kicked for the exchange. Those moments are very much distilled TF2.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I've never played Overwatch, but I'm guessing there's no analogous situation in that game where A) a melee-only heavy Kool-Aid-mans into the middle of the my team, and everyone at once puts away their weapons to engage him in melee-only fisticuffs, 2: I hit my Scaredy-Cat taunt to scream in abject terror at the heavy's ferocity, and iii] no one gets kicked for the exchange. Those moments are very much distilled TF2.

there actually was like, right at the start, back when you could have more than one of a hero on a team, and comp didn't really exist, and nobody really gave a poo poo. you'd get poo poo like a whole team of lucios infinite wall sliding around in the giant well on that one map and fighting only by yeeting the enemy into the pit, or people ignoring the objective to try and melee the basketball prop in the spawn room into a hoop for 5 minutes.

this did not last more than a month or two

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Im glad competitive kinda flopped.

Dont get me wrong, i love to GET SERIOUS and tryhard with the best of them but a competitive mode leaves no room for silliness

When im trying my heart out and then i see a hoovy wandering around giving out sandvich it melts my heart.

In a competitive match they would be killed or kick so youd never really see that

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Dec 13, 2023

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
On that note I have a question, any of you folks have recommendations for fun comp matches to watch? Ones for charity and stuff are out there. I'm laid out with covid and that sounds like some cozy nostalgia.

edit: and if you do hey thank you

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Dec 13, 2023

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I recall a pros vs joes type stream where a pro got double donked by a goon but someone else will have to give us the name.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

How many classes does Overwatch have nowadays? Forty? In our day you just needed a sassy urchin, two exploding uncles and a father figure.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Solarin posted:

Nah OW is for the loreheads and shippers

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah, reading this I'm glad that tf2 competitive is segregated away from the main game for the most part. It does mean those scenes are struggling for some new blood but at the same time the core game needs to stay daft as hell

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Well don’t that beat all

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I played TF2 for years and years. I played Overwatch for like two months.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

i played overwatch until it became clear that everything good about the game was an accident that the developers were hard at work correcting

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Team Fortress 3 should be 90% the exact same but now there's a new 64 player big map mode and Nine Vehicles, each themed after each class.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Legalize Wacky Races

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

the holy poopacy posted:

also scout should never stop talking about his shield
When Scout is not on screen, other characters should be asking “where’s Scout?”

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

girl dick energy posted:

When Scout is not on screen, other characters should be asking “where’s Scout?”

That is just sensible defensive play

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

I think its time for them to add the most requested class

The MADCAP

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Hihohe posted:

The MADCAP

delete this now

the others must not know

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Team Fortress 3 should be 90% the exact same but now there's a new 64 player big map mode and Nine Vehicles, each themed after each class.

Team Fortress battle royale mode that has 30 teams of 3 on one big map

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 14, 2023

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

Team Fortress battle royale mode that has 30 teams of 3 on one big map

For some reason for a few entire seconds I somehow flipped the numbers and thought this said 3 teams of 30.

And hell, I'm ready to meet the GRN

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Thinking about it...

for me a True Tf3 wouldnt functionally change the classes all that much aside from adding weapons and such that just make a side class.

Tf3 would be more about letting the average players experiment with maps and gameplay mechanics

It would come with a simple Halo Forge style map maker and the ability to easily adjust things like class restrictions, mechanics like crits or gravity or power ups etc.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

64 player maps like TF2 had between like 2008 and 2011

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

TF3 would have nine new classes. This time all women.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
TF3 would be an imsim/cart racer with extraction shooter elements.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

icantfindaname posted:

64 player maps like TF2 had between like 2008 and 2011

I mean people are running 100 player servers these days(which play better than you'd expect) so not really that much of a stretch

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
The only new class I'd like to see would MAYBE be demoknight being pulled off into its own thing, but even that I'm not sure about because then it leaves demo without any real subclasses. It would solve the weird problem where demoknight is so fundamentally different from demoman that you never know what specific niche the other demos on your team are filling. Battle Engie still gives teleporters and dispensers and still provides area denial, Bow Sniper is still picking off key targets, etc. Base demoman is all about heavy area denial and aoe damage, but demoknight has neither of those thing and thus fundamentally changes what he's giving to the team.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

CodfishCartographer posted:

The only new class I'd like to see would MAYBE be demoknight being pulled off into its own thing, but even that I'm not sure about because then it leaves demo without any real subclasses. It would solve the weird problem where demoknight is so fundamentally different from demoman that you never know what specific niche the other demos on your team are filling. Battle Engie still gives teleporters and dispensers and still provides area denial, Bow Sniper is still picking off key targets, etc. Base demoman is all about heavy area denial and aoe damage, but demoknight has neither of those thing and thus fundamentally changes what he's giving to the team.

Yeah my suggestion of splitting off subclasses into being classes of their own(and maybe a couple new classes too) would be only if this hypothetical TF3 were to have a wholly new cast of characters filling the roles

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

CodfishCartographer posted:

It would solve the weird problem where demoknight is so fundamentally different from demoman that you never know what specific niche the other demos on your team are filling.

sure you do - it's demoknight. it's always demoknight.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah my suggestion of splitting off subclasses into being classes of their own(and maybe a couple new classes too) would be only if this hypothetical TF3 were to have a wholly new cast of characters filling the roles

I actually think most of the subclasses should stay subclasses. One of TF2's biggest strengths is how flexible the classes are, and it's ability to "create" hybrid builds within one class. If battle engie was split off into a separate class from turtle engie, then we'd lose out on being able to do weird hybrid poo poo mixing and matching those two.

Countblanc posted:

sure you do - it's demoknight. it's always demoknight.

:smith:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I wouldn't mind seeing fewer weapons that are just small numbers tweaks. Not every weapon needs to be as transformative as the flaregun or banner, but they should probably be closer to that than like the Family Business.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I feel like only demoknight is an egregious subclass when it comes to how to play the class. Off the top of my head most of the subclasses still hold onto core components of the main class. Battle engineer still relies on buildings. Fat scout still builds on being large and damage sponge. Trolldier still requires rocket jumping. A full demo plays completely different than a full demoknight that is is essentially a 10th class.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I was never able to play demoknight well

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Hihohe posted:

The MADCAP

MADCAP looking nice these days.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

One reason TF3 won't happen is that the nine characters are too beloved to ditch, but you'd want to develop new characters, but Team Fortress with dozens of classes wouldn't be good.

Actually wait, as I wrote that I realized it's easy to solve by maintaining nine classes but having different characters for each class (either entirely cosmetic or with incredibly slight differences, but all sharing the class features and weapons). I don't know if I like that, but maybe.

the holy poopacy posted:

I wouldn't mind seeing fewer weapons that are just small numbers tweaks. Not every weapon needs to be as transformative as the flaregun or banner, but they should probably be closer to that than like the Family Business.

You gotta know that no TF3, if such a thing ever exists somehow, is going to have fewer of anything, except maybe as a matter of needing time to catch up to 2's catalogue.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

RandolphCarter posted:

I was never able to play demoknight well

Pure demoknight is usually only good against bad players unless you have a LOT of practice with him. Hybrid demoknight, however, can be very effective if you have good pill aim. You trade your sticky launcher for the ability to instantly negate crappy positioning mistakes. Plus, if you learn how to trimp, you can use it to get behind the enemy on some maps.

https://i.imgur.com/2hJqaVE.mp4

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Works especially well with the Loose Cannon since that one demands you get up close and personal more than the other three Grenade Launchers, so having an option to either close gaps or get away is really useful*, getting some damage resistances and the melee benefits is just a nice extra bonus on top of that

*for similar reasons it also pairs well with the Sticky Jumper

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Loose Cannon also gives you the mid range airburst option that you lose by giving up sticky launcher, so it works out all around.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I will never unequipped the default sticky launcher. I can rarely bring myself to get rid of the default grenade launcher even. If I don't have my demolitions how can I call myself a demoman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
just equip the sign and become demonstration man