Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

MrBling posted:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1735011740675436599

The Dwayne is looking to challenge his acting skills by playing a guy that was full of steroids.

I was hoping their enxt project would be their Uncut Gems in the world of Trading Cards thing they pitched.

Everyone fighting over a black lotus lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MonsieurChoc posted:

I was hoping their enxt project would be their Uncut Gems in the world of Trading Cards thing they pitched.

"This is how I win" *plays time walk*

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Drunkboxer posted:

I think it’s his only good movie.
Pain & Gain is great, and Rampage is pretty good and he's just fine in it. It's a better movie with him than if it was made this year with the inevitable Chris Pratt.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I think that was like a game of telephone where there was a bit of truth to it and then the story morphed into something that wasn't true. I'm pretty sure what did actually happen was that he specifically wanted Hobbs to be on equal footing with Vin Diesel's Dom in the F&F movies. It was a specific issue that he and Diesel had that was a part of that relationship becoming a problem, not a general clause that he put into every contract.

Yeah, and Hobbs & Shaw has an opening scene where they're each fighting through a bunch of dudes simultaneously in two different locations in split-screen, matching each other blow for blow, so I buy that part of the story. Just got exaggerated, as you say.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

MonsieurChoc posted:

All about an uncut sheet of moxen.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Ain't no grift like stealing from QAnon grift

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/sound-of-freedom-angel-studios-audience-business-practices-1234928374/

Lots of highlights here but this part rules, the "Pay it forward" donations for tickets was really just them collection half a billion dollars in extra box office that they don't have to use for anything

quote:

Bragança thinks Angel Studios is more likely to hear from the FTC, regarding their widely publicized Pay It Forward model, which was a sensational success: the studio set a target of 2 million donated tickets for Sound of Freedom, but claims to have received the cash equivalent of 30,645,695 tickets. At $15 per donated ticket, that works out to $459,685,425 — nearly half a billion dollars in sales.

Only a handful of donors noticed the fine print, which clarified that they were not buying tickets at all. In July, several self-identified religious conservatives contacted American Crime Journal about what they saw as suspicious details of the promotion. On the PayPal checkout page, for example, the word “ticket” is replaced with the word “reach” (that is, instead of guaranteeing that a $15 donation covers a ticket, it pays for the “reach” to “one person”). A disclaimer reads, “Angel Studios will make reasonable efforts to use Pay It Forward ticket sales for the audience growth of the intended film or series. However, Angel Studios becomes the owner of all funds upon receipt and may use them at its sole discretion to further the Angel Studios’ mission of amplifying light through impactful stories.” This language left open an obvious possibility — that Angel could use some of this money to meet demand for free tickets while pocketing the rest. The amount the studio collected through this program, it’s worth noting, is practically double the film’s reported box-office take, meaning millions of dollars in donations were not spent on tickets. One source who spoke to ACJ said he thought that in trying to donate two tickets, he and his wife had been “robbed.”

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Drunkboxer posted:

I think it’s his only good movie.

I enjoyed The Rundown quite a bit, and also Southland Tales, thought I don't know that I'd call it "good".

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

One More Fat Nerd posted:

I enjoyed The Rundown quite a bit, and also Southland Tales, thought I don't know that I'd call it "good".

It's unique among films for sure

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

One More Fat Nerd posted:

The Rundown was where I was like "ok he can actually be a leading man and anchor a decent movie, let's see how far he can go with this", and then he never went a whole lot further with it than that. Never had a true breakout outside of the F&F movies where he jumped onto a train that was already halfway down the tracks. I guess the closest he came was Jumanji, where yea he's definitely a major part of why that movie is entertaining, and he's putting a fun twist on his usual persona in that. And obviously that movie made huge money at the box office.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I like The Rundown a lot. Now Walking Tall is pretty dumb in a lot of ways but if it popped up on tv I’d probably sit down and watch the whole thing. I’d also give it credit for depicting his parent as a mixed race couple, which is not something you expect to see in a mainstream movie from 2004.

I watched Southland Tales just this year and kind of hate of it. There’s a few bright spots but it’s mostly Richard Kelly jerking off to how clever he thinks he is. If you’ve ever read anything about his completely bizarre screenplay for a Holes adaptation then you need to do yourself favor and seek out a summary.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Tars Tarkas posted:

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/sound-of-freedom-angel-studios-audience-business-practices-1234928374/

Lots of highlights here but this part rules, the "Pay it forward" donations for tickets was really just them collection half a billion dollars in extra box office that they don't have to use for anything

Grift aside, there's something darkly humorous/sinister about the mindset where you help fund a movie not because you have any interest in it yourself, but because you want to expose other people to it.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Sir Kodiak posted:

That reporting turned out to be false. The movie it was about (Hobbs & Shaw) had The Rock lose multiple fights to the villain.

I do wonder if he got the idea for it in later movies, though. In Black Adam not only does he never lose a fight, he barely gets hurt. Only time he "loses" is when he willingly gives up his powers for plot reasons and that ends up leading to a literal One Punch Man moment where the entire rest of the cast literally stalls the big demon villain until The Rock gets his powers back.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Tars Tarkas posted:

Absolutely the easiest grift of all time

The people behind that spent a long time on the right wing media circuit promoting the movie and dropping a lot of Q references, because they knew who they wanted to give them money

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

It’s a self identified griftable community.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

MonsieurChoc posted:

South Park already made that one.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

Pretty sure there's a line about Offerman being a three term president.

Ahhh so this is a stealth prequel to Escape from New York

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

It’s a self identified griftable community.

I'm just shocked that there was that much money available. I know religious groups and churches often buy blocks of tickets, but if those numbers are real then they really cleaned up.

MonsieurChoc posted:

There was a documentary, Jack of All Trades, that I watched that covered the baseball trading card scandals. The actual documentary kind of sucked because it was more about a dude exploring his strained relationship with his father in a not interesting way, but the stuff going on at the height of the trading card was amazing. The best part of it was just listening to the guy's father talk about loading up a box truck full of unwanted hockey trading card packs on the east coast and driving them up into Michigan and Canada to flip them for 3 or 4 times profit. Then loading up on unwanted basketball and baseball card packs in Canada and running them back hustling at shows and card shops along the way.

Also stuff alleged about trading card company employees/executives showing up early to conventions and just walking around with full boxes of rare cards offering them to the dealers, which would have come from secret extra runs of the cards. In one case just a guy walking around with a full box of Ken Griffey Jr trading cards that would have been worth about half a million at market rate (until people found out there were boxes full of them circulating), laundering it through the dealers at a big discount.

Worth looking up a few articles on the scandals if you're interested in it. Could make for a good movie.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Did they talk about the famous Honus Wagner T206 card that later turned out to have been altered?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I'm just shocked that there was that much money available. I know religious groups and churches often buy blocks of tickets, but if those numbers are real then they really cleaned up.

A big part of televangelism (and radio evangelism before it) has been cultivating an audience where every family is willing and eager to tithe. A handful of extra movie tickets per person is nothing to this crowd.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Remember how much Passion of the Christ made. Same circuit.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Shageletic posted:

Remember how much Passion of the Christ made. Same circuit.

Mel Gibson had a hand in the Australian distribution

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Did they talk about the famous Honus Wagner T206 card that later turned out to have been altered?

No, one of the big issues with the documentary was that they skipped so much juicy stuff. A lot of the reviews I saw mentioned that you'd be better off just spending an hour reading articles about the scandals. Lots of interesting stuff going on around that time.

John Yossarian
Aug 24, 2013
I hope this hasn't been asked yet, but has anyone seen the movie Poolman? It's the movie directed by Chris Pine and it's supposed to be awful. I really want to see it now.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1735301845776744611?t=UgP2lOgg9ybKT32CUW9X_Q&s=19

Pretty weird!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

they're gonna have to add a new Oscar category for Strand-type Movies

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Bob Hoskins super Mario bros could have been A24

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Chairman Capone posted:

People are comparing Civil War to the DMZ comic, but it’s giving me Russel T Davies’ Years and Years vibes in its “progressive British guy has an extremely surface level understanding of US politics” depiction.

Yeah, I think my initial reaction to the trailer was that it shouldn't matter that Garland is English, but Alex Garland being English seems the most important aspect of the movie.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Simplex posted:

Yeah, I think my initial reaction to the trailer was that it shouldn't matter that Garland is English, but Alex Garland being English seems the most important aspect of the movie.

A foreigner making a big budget film set in a facially American conflict which just uses it as a vehicle for the story he wants to tell would actually be extremely funny and I hope he does it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
just watch The Creator then

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Looking forward to Norman Reedus throwing grenades of his blood and piss on people, but in live action

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

FlamingLiberal posted:

Looking forward to Norman Reedus throwing grenades of his blood and piss on people, but in live action

And in the movie

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
One of the best "British guy understands American politics" bits is how in watchmen, Dr. Manhattan lets the US win so hard in Vietnam that Nixon decides to make Vietnam the 51st state

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

One of my favorites is Russell T. Davies in some Doctor Who episode having the US President say "I am the President-Elect of the United States!"

I also always think back to one of his last episodes (I guess before he came back now) where everyone in the UK was glued to their TVs because Obama was going to be making a speech about "the economy."

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Schwarzwald posted:

A big part of televangelism (and radio evangelism before it) has been cultivating an audience where every family is willing and eager to tithe. A handful of extra movie tickets per person is nothing to this crowd.

It’s wild how much they give, I think the article says the average pay it forward donation was upwards of $600.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

How much is that from church funds and right wing billionaires trying to astroturf things I wonder. It seems like a very well organized network

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
This looks much less satirical than it should be given the premise, but also Cary from *The Other Two* playing straight just feels wrong https://youtu.be/gizIbhk5Eu4?si=AiZa4-J6b2Fi8Pkm

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1735674132820369722?t=BGNgXcuayKPOTa4YLsB1xQ&s=19

Going to enjoy insane people pretend it is a masterpiece lol

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

It's already happening (even around here) and it's hilarious.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I see only 9% of critics have taste huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I cannot wait for that movie