Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
The Wire follows on pretty closely in style from the previous adaptation of David Simon's work, Homicide. The stylistic stuff in that is mostly contained to the titles (and to that one time that like four of them got shot)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The naturalistic approach of The Wire makes a hell of a lot of sense when you consider they wanted to avoid the stylistic excesses of supposedly serious TV drama at the time.

Bonus unknown Peter Dinklage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_upIJYfRkc

Oz had wild High School Drama Nerd became best friends with the High School Video Studies Nerd energy. I think multiple episodes had expository dance numbers before the main credit sequence.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

FreudianSlippers posted:

I love the Wire but I also dearly love the stylistic excesses of the turn of the millennium.

My taste is a land of contrast.

The Wire meets a Missy Elliott video sounds pretty dope, ngl

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

oldpainless posted:

I know Omni Man is a psychotic mass murder who has enslaved millions and has no regard for life but something about that man just turns me on so much. It’s the two tone hair color I think.

Doesn't he also voice Aang's adult son in that crappy Korra series?

Yes Korra was crappy, I'll die on that hill. Absolutely no one wanted a loving series that skipped 60 years of Avatar to be shown in quick flashbacks. I don't want to see that Aang was a poo poo dad to 2 of his 3 kids and Toph was a horrible mom, and Sokka just disappeared/got killed offscreen.

Then again I always hated how Katara ended up with Aang. She was pretty much forced into it; she haaaaaaaad to because he loved her so much. There was no chemistry there at all!

I haven't seen any Invincible season 2 other than a few Facebook clips but does Mark actually get interesting now? I swear most of the first season he was the most boring part of the show. Him and Amber.

JK was also in some early 2000's crime show called The Closer, and it was so drat hilarious how, like all cop shows, the cops flagrantly broke all kinds of laws but it was All Okay and the IA were always horrible people for trying to make them do things legally. I think that's the first cop show (i barely remember NYPD Blue but am sure it was there too) where the cops are screaming at the arrestees: YOU DON'T GET A LAWYER WE GOT A MISSING COP/KID YOU NEED TO TALK NO LAWYER FOR YOU.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Cowslips Warren posted:

Absolutely no one wanted a loving series that skipped 60 years of Avatar to be shown in quick flashbacks.

I don't want to see that Aang was a poo poo dad to 2 of his 3 kids and Toph was a horrible mom, and Sokka just disappeared/got killed offscreen.

These are two very different claims

The time skip was actually cool, in and of itself.
I actually think the worst thing about that series was that each season had its own villain instead of a bigger bad like the firelord was for the gaang

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Mark is dealing with the trauma of learning the truth about his dad. He throws himself into the superhero thing to try to redeem himself, his mom is going through a bunch of poo poo as well but she manages to get him to apply/enter college.

We find out in most alternate earths Mark decided to join his father to subjugate earth, it's very chilling how alt Mark acts-him and his dad treat mass murder with the same banality as a father and son having to take a trailer of junk to the dump.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

Mark is dealing with the trauma of learning the truth about his dad. He throws himself into the superhero thing to try to redeem himself, his mom is going through a bunch of poo poo as well but she manages to get him to apply/enter college.

We find out in most alternate earths Mark decided to join his father to subjugate earth, it's very chilling how alt Mark acts-him and his dad treat mass murder with the same banality as a father and son having to take a trailer of junk to the dump.

NGL that was actually really cool in a dark way. Made me wonder what happened differently there: Immortal staying dead, or more training from his dad, maybe taking him out of school/work for it? isolating Mark from the other supers? I wonder if the wife/mom was still alive in those alt places.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pope Corky the IX posted:

He's the leader of the white supremacist gang in the prison and does things like crucifiy a priest convicted of pedophilia. Really cruel poo poo behind those black bars, just a heads up.

Heck of a post/username combo to include that as an example of someone being evil.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Jedit posted:

Heck of a post/username combo to include that as an example of someone being evil.

I think it's an understandable stance that crucifixion, regardless of who you're doing it to, is an evil act, just as it's understandable that someone might think that person deserved it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

I think it's an understandable stance that crucifixion, regardless of who you're doing it to, is an evil act, just as it's understandable that someone might think that person deserved it.

It's certainly monstrous and cruel, and so is anyone who would mete it out as punishment. I'm just taking issue with the idea that you can tell someone is the bad guy because they killed a child molester.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It was the crucifixion itself, not who it was done to, and it was part of a longer list. Would you really like to have a discussion as to which kind of people deserve to die and how?

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

It was the crucifixion itself, not who it was done to, and it was part of a longer list. Would you really like to have a discussion as to which kind of people deserve to die and how?

Nobody wants that, but I appreciate dramatic irony when I see it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Everyone I don't like deserves crucifixion.

Also everyone I like.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

FreudianSlippers posted:

Also everyone I like.

Deforestation already a major ecological issue!

Everyone deserves to be executed in a method that doesn't involve the mass killing of more trees. :colbert:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

dr_rat posted:

Deforestation already a major ecological issue!

Everyone deserves to be executed in a method that doesn't involve the mass killing of more trees. :colbert:

Can we just use the same cross and do everyone one at a time

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
And upside down like St. Peter.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
"

FreudianSlippers posted:

Also everyone I like.
"
--John Calvin.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

And upside down like St. Peter.

They called him that because his robe flopped up and you could see his dong.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Well he was crucified upside down...

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Well he was crucified upside down...

That's what made it a miracle

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Fil5000 posted:

Can we just use the same cross and do everyone one at a time

How long are your nails?

I don't know how true it is, but my dad said he's never been called for jury duty since he sat in on a questionnaire part about 30 years ago, and when he was asked if he approved of the death penalty, he said they should hang them so they could reuse the rope.

Iimm: in The Thing, when you're absorbed by the thing, does any part of you remain still or are you an entirely new entity now? I know that once the thing starts splitting apart it all seems to be different individual people as opposed to just pieces being sent out clayface style to be reabsorbed later.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Cowslips Warren posted:

How long are your nails?

I don't know how true it is, but my dad said he's never been called for jury duty since he sat in on a questionnaire part about 30 years ago, and when he was asked if he approved of the death penalty, he said they should hang them so they could reuse the rope.

Iimm: in The Thing, when you're absorbed by the thing, does any part of you remain still or are you an entirely new entity now? I know that once the thing starts splitting apart it all seems to be different individual people as opposed to just pieces being sent out clayface style to be reabsorbed later.

The movie doesn't make it clear. There are comics that make it appear that some part of your consciousness remains but they're both weird and bad comics.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
The guy who made the noose suggest that at least when your being taking over there is a time when you remain yourself.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

dr_rat posted:

The guy who made the noose suggest that at least when your being taking over there is a time when you remain yourself.

As I recall from Carpenter's own explanation: from the point you've been infected, you're a Thing. But until the infection reaches a certain point, you don't know that you're a Thing. So when Blair makes the noose for himself he's a Thing who is worried about the others turning him into a Thing.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Cowslips Warren posted:

How long are your nails?

Peter Watts wrotea really good story about that question. Every time it gets posted I end up rereading it, and every time I reread it I end up rewatching the film.

gently caress, that's a good film.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
What the hell happened to the last third of It's a Wonderful Knife? It's like they filmed the first 60 minutes and then everybody with a copy of the script suddenly died and they had to fill in the gaps with an AO3 fanfic from the future.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

A Worrying Warlock posted:

Peter Watts wrotea really good story about that question. Every time it gets posted I end up rereading it, and every time I reread it I end up rewatching the film.

gently caress, that's a good film.
Have you played Carrion?

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Splicer posted:

Have you played Carrion?

Oh man, I love that game! I knew they nailed it when I found myself frantically slithering up an air vent because someone pulled out a flamethrower. Those things are terrifying!

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Oz was basically his first role

What

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Bowser in the Super Mario Bros. movie can't read.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A dumb thing about the Super Mario Bros Movie is how during the Mario Kart sequence Toad loses his car when it drives off the road, except a second later Princess Peach does the same thing and flies because her glider activates. Why didn't that happen to Toad? Also the much vaunted Kong army sure gets taken out easily.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

muscles like this! posted:

A dumb thing about the Super Mario Bros Movie is how during the Mario Kart sequence Toad loses his car when it drives off the road, except a second later Princess Peach does the same thing and flies because her glider activates. Why didn't that happen to Toad? Also the much vaunted Kong army sure gets taken out easily.

Yeah that Kong army felt like a pointless escapade given how little they did in the end.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Peach can afford a glider.
:capitalism:

Curtana
Feb 17, 2011

I was thinking maybe the reason you don't see as many big karts like Toad's in that sequence was because everyone wanted the air glider insurance. Toad decided bigger is better and built his kart too heavy for an air glider. The Kongs knew better, thanks to experience with the rainbow road.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Toad overcompensating because somebody told him he looks like Trump's dick

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
He's just not a fungi :shrug:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

My thought too, I remembered seeing him first in the '02 Spider-Man...turns out Oz was 5 years prior in '97. I swore Oz came out sometime in the '00s, what the hell :psyduck:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
He was acting well before that but Oz and Law and Order were his breakout performances.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
JK Simmons had a few bit parts in movies and an episode of Homicide or Law & Order here and there, but yeah, he's like Samuel L. Jackson in that his career didn't take off until he was in his forties.

And Oz started in 1997. I can't imagine watching that show and thinking it came out any other time than the late nineties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Oz came out just before The Sopranos, which many consider the advent of Prestige TV.

Tangentially related, but in meme form: