Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

It's not like the US and EU don't want to push EV, they just suck at it because "Industry Policy" is a bad word in the west.

Also, half of the BRI projects can be explained from the oil embargo defensive move angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

If the West can't embargo Russia I'm not sure how they would expect to embargo the country that makes and transports most everything. It wouldn't be very hard for them to counter embargo until whatever country starts sending oil again. Especially as China has already shown during covid how much more easily it can handle disruptions to luxuries and organizing national responses than anyone in the West.

I'd especially like to see the plan to get Russia to not send China oil lol.

I'm sure the only reason China has shrugged at the absurd export bans is because they are so irrelevant and easy to circumvent.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

FuzzySlippers posted:

If the West can't embargo Russia I'm not sure how they would expect to embargo the country that makes and transports most everything. It wouldn't be very hard for them to counter embargo until whatever country starts sending oil again. Especially as China has already shown during covid how much more easily it can handle disruptions to luxuries and organizing national responses than anyone in the West.

I'm sure the only reason China has shrugged at the absurd export bans is because they are so irrelevant and easy to circumvent.

im the eurolib proudly buying my not-russian indian oil

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Orange Devil posted:

The Chinese century (who knows, maybe one of many) started like 10 years ago and it's going to take another 50 for anyone in the West to suggest that maybe it did lol.

we're going to be getting those economist covers with the dragon fighting a tiger or whatever being scratched into the shattered concrete slabs in the ruins of a post-apocalyptic wall street bank before we get anyone in the Western elite admitting to what's already happened

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

china makes and sells us all the stuff we need to patrol their waters for them its win win we are keeping them so safe! no navy could come close to china because of all our lovely rusted boats, and we pay to do it

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

The Oldest Man posted:

we're going to be getting those economist covers with the dragon fighting a tiger or whatever being scratched into the shattered concrete slabs in the ruins of a post-apocalyptic wall street bank before we get anyone in the Western elite admitting to what's already happened

https://twitter.com/mileskkkk/status/1576231191342088195?t=RvIItk4GeQrn98pC4ILMTg&s=19

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

stephenthinkpad posted:

It's not like the US and EU don't want to push EV, they just suck at it because "Industry Policy" is a bad word in the west.

i like how the west keeps harping on MUH NATSEC rare earths and everyone does nothing because everyone knows everyone else is a loving grifter

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

FuzzySlippers posted:

The longterm US goal was always to get Russia onside 'first' either through shared social conservatism/whiteness or by defeating our rivals in detail, which would leave the middle east as the only nominally neutral and unblockadable source on a large enough scale but we could either influence its elites or burn it down.

Option b won that first debate and has proceeded to eat poo poo, at the same time as our attack dog got loose, so it's pretty fait accompli now, but the Chinese buildup in response to the concept predates Maidan never mind the current wars.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Prompt for a Stan Kelly trained political cartoon generator: Chinese naval personnel in lawn chairs on a beach laughing. Offshore undermanned and undertrained American ships crash into each other trying to patrol the embargo line, military painted civilian ships desperately try to hug the coast and avoid the mild chop that threatens to capsize them, and some marine "Osprey of the water" ship melts in salt water. Thousands of miles away some pentagon bureaucrat tiredly increases the Pivot To Asia body count.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Orange Devil posted:

The Chinese century (who knows, maybe one of many) started like 10 years ago and it's going to take another 50 for anyone in the West to suggest that maybe it did lol.

The West will be huddled in caves and the skeletal ruins of their once cities crumbling into total neglect as Chinese spaceships fly to colonize Alpha Centauri long before anyone admits this.

Don't worry. The future west may not know the secret of the combustion engine but the recipe for a big Mac will still be passed down.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

"who the gently caress is this guy"

quote:

The New Federal State of China (NFSC) is a political movement or lobby group created by Guo Wengui and Steve Bannon, with the stated aim of overthrowing the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) as the Chinese government. Launched on June 4, 2020, in New York City, Opening Ceremony, the body has been referred to by its founders as a "government in exile" of China.

On July 15, 2021, The Daily Beast reported that Bannon and Guo were operating a fake embassy on East 64th Street, in New York City, known as the consulate for the "New Federal State of China," or "The Himalaya Embassy," that is an operating center for various right-wing media and nonprofits manufacturing bogus conspiracy theories. The fortified building was built in 2015 for Argentine billionaire Eduardo Eurnekian.[14]

cool

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

The Oldest Man posted:

cool

i took a look at his tweets

"only the democratic west instead of seeseepee can prevent 3 building fires happening in a day"

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

pandas are pretty cute and non evil

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

DancingShade posted:

The West will be huddled in caves and the skeletal ruins of their once cities crumbling into total neglect as Chinese spaceships fly to colonize Alpha Centauri long before anyone admits this.

Don't worry. The future west may not know the secret of the combustion engine but the recipe for a big Mac will still be passed down.

even this will they take from us. they probably already have advanced burger and pizza recipes in development that are as insanely far in advance of our snack tech as Korean corn dogs are superior to our own outdated weiner-tech.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

uber_stoat posted:

burgerfolk should be sent on a forced field trip to Shenzhen or some other big newish city for a month so they can understand deep down how they are savages squatting in the ruins of a half-dead culture.

did someone say jdpon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-JrPFkcEq4

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Oldest Man posted:

"the body has been referred to by its founders as a "government in exile" of China."

cool

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Sancho Banana posted:

How are young people in America even being sold on recruitment nowadays besides the military helping out with debt/tuition and whatnot?

My middle oh nowhere high school always had recruiters there, not like we had jobs out there waiting anyway.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

no, thats the republic of china flag and theyre very angrily not in exile because taiwan is china. thats totally different than the new federal state of china.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah. Well. I hereby declare myself as government in exile, king of the moon.

NASA owes me a lot of unpaid parking and littering fines.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

The Oldest Man posted:

no, thats the republic of china flag and theyre very angrily not in exile because taiwan is china. thats totally different than the new federal state of china.

I will never have a chance to discuss this topic, but this fake federation of China (founded by literal scammer and criminal Miles Guo) has a really cool fake anthem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYiqUgkT8Go

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

It's been a while since I looked into it but I'm pretty sure there's still military band.

Idk.

its more accurate but on account of having 2x many signals to combine to extrapolate ionic interference iirc but covilian gps already does that with 2x signals, actual important bit is civilian gps is easily jammed.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
https://twitter.com/The_Real_Fly/status/1735440311185264754

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

they already did that and you WON'T BELIEVE what biden chose [519k views]

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

The Oldest Man posted:

imagine how many hearts and minds chinese diplomats win just by saying "nordstream"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

lf was wild

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The Oldest Man posted:

[8 comments]

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

They always like to talk about "combat readiness" but I guess this doesn't factor in stuff like "can only produce a fraction of the 155 shells needed to sustain a high intensity war" and "the navy can't replace their ships faster than they'll sink". Doesn't sound like they're ready!

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Justin Tyme posted:

They always like to talk about "combat readiness" but I guess this doesn't factor in stuff like "can only produce a fraction of the 155 shells needed to sustain a high intensity war" and "the navy can't replace their ships faster than they'll sink". Doesn't sound like they're ready!

its fine the quids of today already have pieces written about how there's nothing to fear from the sweatshop with nukes who's attached to the hip to a gas station with nukes because the usa has trillions more gdp

just need to spend even more even faster

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Danann posted:

its fine the quids of today already have pieces written about how there's nothing to fear from the sweatshop with nukes who's attached to the hip to a gas station with nukes because the usa has trillions more gdp

just need to spend even more even faster

the west is getting cold feet touching houthis because firing ~$4M/ea hard to replace SAMs against $10000 drones isn't exactly a very sustainable strategy

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Palladium posted:

the west is getting cold feet touching houthis because firing ~$4M/ea hard to replace SAMs against $10000 drones isn't exactly a very sustainable strategy

Which everyone who followed a certain geopolitical event the past couple years was already well aware of. But anyone who questioned or failed to nod at the right time was pushed out so here we are.

Firing sea sparrows at lawnmowers. The most cost effective war of attrition.

Gosh I wonder what will run out first.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

stephenthinkpad posted:

I will never have a chance to discuss this topic, but this fake federation of China (founded by literal scammer and criminal Miles Guo) has a really cool fake anthem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYiqUgkT8Go

What in the gently caress?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Korean corn dogs are legit. I have an inherent cheapness on certain foods like John Travolta being unable to shut up about a $5 milk shake (lol inflation), but they are delicious and worth it especially for some of the crazy combos. While donuts aren't American, we are probably the most enthusiastic donut eaters and many countries in Asia have surpassed us in critical donut development as well.

What a sad state of affairs. I remember in Neal Stephenson's dystopian America of Snow Crash (early 90s) he said Americans had fallen but they still led the world in music, movies, microcode, and high-speed pizza delivery. That was actually incredibly optimistic.

DancingShade posted:

That's basically Starfield which mostly only contains Americans who are dumb as gently caress and are fighting with 20th century firearms and melee weapons over whether they should cosplay as Texans or Starship Trooper fascists. They also still farm like 19th century settlers except they had to ride to their dirt farm in a spaceship. I've presumed the rest of humanity is off in some China led properly futurist Star Trek federation future and knew better than to try to tell Americans anything.

FuzzySlippers has issued a correction as of 04:36 on Dec 15, 2023

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

FuzzySlippers posted:

Korean corn dogs are legit. I have an inherent cheapness on certain foods like John Travolta being unable to shut up about a $5 milk shake (lol inflation), but they are delicious and worth it especially for some of the crazy combos. While donuts aren't American, we are probably the most enthusiastic donut eaters and many countries in Asia have surpassed us in critical donut development as well.

What a sad state of affairs. I remember in Neal Stephenson's dystopian America of Snow Crash (early 90s) he said Americans had fallen but they still led the world in music, movies, microcode, and high-speed pizza delivery. That was actually incredibly optimistic.

That's basically Starfield which mostly only contains Americans who are dumb as gently caress and are fighting with 20th century firearms and melee weapons over whether they should cosplay as Texans or Starship Trooper fascists. They also still farm like 19th century settlers except they had to ride to their dirt farm in a spaceship. I've presumed the rest of humanity is off in some China led properly futurist Star Trek federation future and knew better than to try to tell Americans anything.

I don't know how much starfield was telling a narrative or how much it was just a disjointed outsourced mess cobbled together by creative talent long past their prime. But your interpretation works. Everything did seem like space silicon valley corporate office park.

Welcome to the military you 3rd class citizen. You pay for your own gear, ammo and medical care. Pay is about the same as delivery driver. Agile military.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/zhao_dashuai/status/1735218958410936677

stealth target drones is just humble bragging now

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/zhao_dashuai/status/1735218958410936677

stealth target drones is just humble bragging now

lmao

The West [TM] cannot replicate because to try would be to admit such a thing was possible in the first place and thus harm future sales of F-35 Sky Piglet bloc updates.

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar

uber_stoat posted:

burgerfolk should be sent on a forced field trip to Shenzhen or some other big newish city for a month so they can understand deep down how they are savages squatting in the ruins of a half-dead culture.

President Xi, I yearn for re-education, please send me a check for a plane ticket and expenses when I arrive.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Orange Devil posted:

yep

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
It's a pity the CCP has a policy against exporting revolution 'cos I'd be getting straight on the ground floor of that if it was happening lol. Sign me up as British Communist Party (China-affiliated) member 000000001, please!

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Pistol_Pete posted:

It's a pity the CCP has a policy against exporting revolution 'cos I'd be getting straight on the ground floor of that if it was happening lol. Sign me up as British Communist Party (China-affiliated) member 000000001, please!

Absolutely same. Who knows where it would go in our lifetimes, as they say, incredible things happening etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
A Cowboy Bebop/Firefly future except we're all speaking Mandarin with the occasional "gently caress" and "oval office" thrown in.