Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I can hold my bladder more than 10 minutes at a time and ads in content not designed for ad breaks are extremely disruptive if you’re actually getting into it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

enigmahfc posted:

no, i get zero ads on Hulu.

Ads aren't fun to watch or anything, but i do net get being full-throated with hatred of them.
If i watch a movie without ads, i still tend to pause it a few times to piss, or get snacks, or make another adult beverage or something.

It's like ads have killed people's house pets or something.

Glad that works for you, I don't do any of those things and so arbitrarily being taken out of the movie pisses me off.

I'm also not sitting there scrolling Twitter during the movie, which is something a lot of busted brains are doing nowadays.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I'm also not sitting there scrolling Twitter during the movie, which is something a lot of busted brains are doing nowadays.

This is agree with. If you ever feel yourself drawn to your phone/computer while watching a movie, just stop watching the movie.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

enigmahfc posted:

This is agree with. If you ever feel yourself drawn to your phone/computer while watching a movie, just stop watching the movie.

tbh if I followed that I'd never watch a movie. I just throw my poo poo on the other couch.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Thanks

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
Mate, Tubi has some loving terrible movies on there. it's great. I just wish i could feed it to plex so i can get terrible movies in 5.1

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Tubi has a crazy good 80s horror selection

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Re:ads, it might also be an age thing. There’s gotta be a generation by now that grew up watching no conventional tv full of ads, and do not appreciate the freedom.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

By my mid teens I had cable internet, a lot of storage and a few years later, a modded Xbox. I made my own ad-free streaming service using ripped DVDs and divx encodes using XBMP>XBMC>Kodi>Plex. I stopped watching traditional TV at that point, can't go back now.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

BisterdDave posted:

Tubi has a crazy good 80s horror selection

I watched Silent Night Deadly Night 2, and each ad break was like 60 seconds. Each ad was also something for Chex Mix, Vodka, or anti-racism campaigns, so that was pretty cool.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The only way I can accept ads in streaming is if I'm not directly paying the streaming service. In 2021, when I got Peacock through Charter Spectrum, I didn't complain about advertising because hey, it's included with my subscription.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Man I miss the days of wiring a usb drive into a Xbox controller plug so I could hotload the Xbox whatever video software from my networked pirate drive it also played snes games. 2009 was good times

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Whenever my toddler is watching YouTube and an ad comes on (which is frequently) he says “uh oh, is broken” and screams if I don’t hit skip fast enough. That’s pretty much how I feel about ads too.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

remigious posted:

Whenever my toddler is watching YouTube and an ad comes on (which is frequently) he says “uh oh, is broken” and screams if I don’t hit skip fast enough. That’s pretty much how I feel about ads too.

he's right

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
It's so cool that we're so immersed in ads now that even an infant recognizes them as a thing to skip/disregard immediately

Like how do all streaming ads not just straight up have negative ROI

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I just watched the first episode of The Tourist and it is extraordinarly fuckin' cool. Jamie Dornan is a guy who gets his beans scrambled in one of the best car chases I've ever seen on TV, gets amnesia, and is trying to piece things together. Turns out he was embroiled in some poo poo!

Funny charming cool pretty and mysterious and I don't think I've ever heard Jamie Doornan use his real accent in something and it makes him a lot better for some reason

Bit Coen brothersy, bit Banshee

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Dec 14, 2023

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Good god episode two has a cameo of two snarky helicopter pilots playing chess played by the Umbimical Brothers. They're weird mimes. They were the the first live comedy I ever saw and I have not seen or heard from them since I was about 12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb-pbGvFlTo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyqZ00cYDlU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzXhgszDPcQ

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Dec 14, 2023

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Anyone using Paramount+ and having a lot of issues with it? It's constantly freezing and buffering and poo poo. I can't believe how bad it is. It's worse on my Sony with Android TV but almost as bad on my Roku.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Issues like that are almost invariably the provider cheaping out on the CDS but if you want to be told to reboot your router a dozen times you can contact tech support

mystes
May 31, 2006

remigious posted:

Famethrowa posted:

he's right

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

remigious posted:

Use the Youtube Kids app. It's less ad polluted and doesn't auto play infinite trash.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

remigious posted:

Youtube Premium is REALLY worth it

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
I keep getting surprised by the weird variety of niche films you can find on Tubi, and adblockers allow for an easy skip of any commercials. But it does leave me a little ill at ease to feel like I'm supporting Fox Corporation in some way.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

Issues like that are almost invariably the provider cheaping out on the CDS but if you want to be told to reboot your router a dozen times you can contact tech support

It's only that specific streaming service, everything else works fine. I honestly don't know what CDS is.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Pioneer42 posted:

I keep getting surprised by the weird variety of niche films you can find on Tubi, and adblockers allow for an easy skip of any commercials. But it does leave me a little ill at ease to feel like I'm supporting Fox Corporation in some way.

If you're subscribed to any streaming service you're supporting some big lovely corporation. Just let it go man

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Yeah, you're right. My little bit that makes me feel better is always checking Kanopy and Hoopla for a movie before streaming elsewhere.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

A Proper Uppercut posted:

It's only that specific streaming service, everything else works fine. I honestly don't know what CDS is.

The content delivery system is the system that sends the stored media to the users and if the providers don’t pay for fat pipes and redundancy then you get what you’re experiencing

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Tiny Timbs posted:

The content delivery system is the system that sends the stored media to the users and if the providers don’t pay for fat pipes and redundancy then you get what you’re experiencing

I thought netflix was the only one who stored media on-site at the cable system. Do they all do it now?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

1glitch0 posted:

I thought netflix was the only one who stored media on-site at the cable system. Do they all do it now?

Complete tangent but this reminded me of when my sister thought streaming from Netflix meant someone was loading a DVD in a distant server for her to watch.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

The Peccadillo posted:

I just watched the first episode of The Tourist and it is extraordinarly fuckin' cool. Jamie Dornan is a guy who gets his beans scrambled in one of the best car chases I've ever seen on TV, gets amnesia, and is trying to piece things together. Turns out he was embroiled in some poo poo!

Funny charming cool pretty and mysterious and I don't think I've ever heard Jamie Doornan use his real accent in something and it makes him a lot better for some reason

For sure uses it in The Fall, the serial killer show with Scully, it's set in Northen Ireland.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

mcmagic posted:

If I could turn back time I would have never shown him anything on YouTube :(

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

mcmagic posted:

folks are aware that adblockers exist?

edit: also consider Freetube and the like

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Schwarzwald posted:

folks are aware that adblockers exist?

edit: also consider Freetube and the like

This might blow your mind but a lot of kids watch YouTube on tv and most people aren't gonna bother setting up a pihole or whatever

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The Peccadillo posted:

my favorite bit of Dornan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olSlU879VEU

There's an extensive oral history of this which I find hilarious

e: he did the singing, dancing, and climbing up the tree for some reason

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
first bit of Reacher s2 is out. It seems really good from what I've seen so far. I do miss the supporting cast from season 1, but I kinda like that it's a whole new cast each season, and the setup for this one is really compelling so far.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Stegosnaurlax posted:

For sure uses it in The Fall, the serial killer show with Scully, it's set in Northen Ireland.

Finding out Scully was welsh shocked me to my core

E: I didn't see that show but I saw some press she did for the Hannibal show where she spoke normal and I was all "what now, shut your mouth you're a Yank navy brat from like Virginia or something"

The welsh accent is the least serious accent in the anglophony and Scully is the most serious character

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Dec 15, 2023

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Papercut posted:

This might blow your mind but a lot of kids watch YouTube on tv and most people aren't gonna bother setting up a pihole or whatever

It kind of does, I figured people were just giving their kids their androids or tablets or whatever.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Schwarzwald posted:

It kind of does, I figured people were just giving their kids their androids or tablets or whatever.

Nah my son watches YouTube on the actual tv (through the ps4) so I can keep an eye on things. I really should invest in YouTube premium but it’s so drat expensive!

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I can't imagine being a parent of a kid in the internet savvy age. Seems hard as hell to police their consumption

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Monarch on apple is all the monsterless parts of The Legendary Godzilla/Kong movies but even slower