Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Can’t recommend long lenses for landscapes enough. Not as an exclusive technique, but as something to try

It’s very common in American culture, and really many cultures worldwide, for landscape to be a backdrop. When we see them, experience them, and are in them, it’s easy to mentally see what are actually far away details as the subject. And they might be! If you find yourself realizing that, or drawn to those details, go against the grain and grab a long lens. It’s very enjoyable.

Personally, a beautiful landscape with a 24mm or whatever lens better be pretty bangin. To me, it’s easy to see a pleasant vista, but not always easy to make a photo that is balanced in shape and form. I try very hard to make images that, if it were of a grocery shelf or a model or whatever, that the shapes, forms, textures… the composition stands alone.

I just happen to like doing it outside. It was a real aha moment I had at the Nelson atkins museum many years ago at an exhibition of Chinese landscapes. There were a few objects that were pieces of marble cut in a way to look like a landscape. I was smitten, and I’ve chased something like it ever since

Go to museums. Im glad some people like the photos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The issue I've had with it is vantage. Quite commonly the mountains are very far away so you have to shoot through atmospheric haze or you're in a tunnel of trees and can't see them. It's relatively rare to be in a valley where everything is "perfect" and you can swing a 400mm around to play with composition.

Probably the most profitable area I've done that kind of shooting in is in the valley north of the Kananaskis Lakes, the slopes are quite close the road and they're very steep with frequent clearings. The badlands of SD are fun too. And the alabama hills. I've also seen some amazing work out the Iceland highlands and I hope I get to go there someday.

I'm sure there's plenty of other ranges out there, I just don't know about them. I've been doggedly exploring the mountains in my new home in Colorado and spots are definitely out there.. but the trees make it a bit of work.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

xzzy posted:

The issue I've had with it is vantage. Quite commonly the mountains are very far away so you have to shoot through atmospheric haze or you're in a tunnel of trees and can't see them. It's relatively rare to be in a valley where everything is "perfect" and you can swing a 400mm around to play with composition.

Probably the most profitable area I've done that kind of shooting in is in the valley north of the Kananaskis Lakes, the slopes are quite close the road and they're very steep with frequent clearings. The badlands of SD are fun too. And the alabama hills. I've also seen some amazing work out the Iceland highlands and I hope I get to go there someday.

I'm sure there's plenty of other ranges out there, I just don't know about them. I've been doggedly exploring the mountains in my new home in Colorado and spots are definitely out there.. but the trees make it a bit of work.

Whereabouts in Colorado?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

torgeaux posted:

Whereabouts in Colorado?

Castle Rock area. I'm not complaining by any measure, there is absolutely stuff out there, just saying that within ~2 hours of home there is a lot of dense forest and I'm still discovering the options.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

All of those photos are in Colorado, as are many more I’ve made in the last 15 years. You’ll find em

E: I’d also say, 70-200 is what I carry, so don’t think you have to reach SO far. The snow field is just up near a lake, a little detail to pick out

JAY ZERO SUM GAME fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 10, 2023

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
edit, street thread

Viginti Septem fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 11, 2023

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
edit

Viginti Septem fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 11, 2023

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

i think that's probably street photography

great work though

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Doh! Yea, that makes sense. I'll post there.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

great work though
Thanks!

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Neat, It almost looks like a miniature.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

hereditary comes to mind

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Never seen it but I'm glad you like it

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

313A2196 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

me banging on a table after every post "CROP IT SQUARE"

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

me banging on a table after every post "turn the sliders down 90%"

that one is way overcooked

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Piss filter

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

yeah

its funky and looks kinda stupid and weird, but I like it as a change of pace (or maybe ironically)

here's another one that I added red to for no reason. this was across the street from the piss farm

blue squares fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 12, 2023

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Blood Horse and Blood Horse II: Piss Farm is my favorite horror series

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

here's one that's more up this thread's alley. a boring road with some trash

313A2177 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

loving all of these!

while I'm sticking to black and white generally I have been trying to learn colour grading, mainly for a vintage filmic look. what do you think, are these overcooked? I wanted them to be warm but still have blue skies etc. i think theyre probably overdone since red is starting to go magenta.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

please don't post erotica in the landscape thread

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...

please don't post more erotica in the landscape thread

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

field balm posted:

loving all of these!

while I'm sticking to black and white generally I have been trying to learn colour grading, mainly for a vintage filmic look. what do you think, are these overcooked? I wanted them to be warm but still have blue skies etc. i think theyre probably overdone since red is starting to go magenta.

I don't think so, but I'm also more liberal with my edits than a lot of others. I think these are great.

Jokes aside, this is beautiful

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

as i get used to Lr, i'm agonizing over minor details and wondering if my edits are any better than the original versions of photos or if i'm just making a big mess of things. after a while i can't even tell what looks good or not or better or worse staring at the same image too long lol.

original

stupid edit

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Going through some shots from the last Norway trip here.

DQ6J3546-5 by C M, on Flickr

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Dec 14, 2023

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Cool

haruspicy
Feb 10, 2023

the teal of the building in the center is a step too far into unreality for me but given the water and sky don’t look read too saturated maybe it’s just an aggressive paint job! are they both korea or just the second?

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

ShoogaSlim posted:

as i get used to Lr, i'm agonizing over minor details and wondering if my edits are any better than the original versions of photos or if i'm just making a big mess of things. after a while i can't even tell what looks good or not or better or worse staring at the same image too long lol.

original

stupid edit

Honestly I think the colours are very nice in the original, and still fine in your edit - I kind of prefer the greenish tint on the headlights in the original but thats just a taste thing. I think the crop you made does the image a disservice though, the foreground is the more interesting part of the image compared to the empty blue sky at the top and you've cut it off part way through a car. Crushed blacks are dramatic but it would be interesting to see with some more exposure on the forground? Nice shot eitherway!

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Going through some shots from the last Norway trip here.

DQ6J3546-5 by C M, on Flickr

This is super nice.

haruspicy posted:

the teal of the building in the center is a step too far into unreality for me but given the water and sky don’t look read too saturated maybe it’s just an aggressive paint job! are they both korea or just the second?

thanks - yeah the bright teal and the reds are what have me questioning it too. Here's the raw without any editing, the paint job is pretty aggressive but it came out a little too neon!

Those photos are both from South Korea - the first one is Songdo Beach and the second is near Haeundae Beach, both in Busan!

Here's a shot that is a little bit bland otherwise but the sky came out really good:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

This is great.

Too wide IMO. How about this?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like the wider view but I really love panoramics so am biased.

But I'd probably make it a 6x17 or something and lose part of the foreground.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Siiick

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

field balm posted:

Honestly I think the colours are very nice in the original, and still fine in your edit - I kind of prefer the greenish tint on the headlights in the original but thats just a taste thing. I think the crop you made does the image a disservice though, the foreground is the more interesting part of the image compared to the empty blue sky at the top and you've cut it off part way through a car. Crushed blacks are dramatic but it would be interesting to see with some more exposure on the forground? Nice shot eitherway!

thank you for the feedback! i spent so much time looking at little details i didn't even "see" that i cut off the headlights at the bottom. a great example of how you can focus on some details and easily miss more obvious ones.

i was taking some inspiration from the last sunset pic i posted to reveal more stuff in the foreground, and my original edit had more detail there, but every time i went back and forth between edits and original, i couldn't help but love the deep contrast shown. perhaps that's a pitfall of newbie photo editors? before this thread i had never heard of the phrase "crushed blacks" so it's something i'm going to keep in mind.

as for removing the green from the headlights, i was trying to avoid it contrasting with the warm tones in the sky to make it feel christmasy. red/green is like my kryptonite but i'll try to unlearn that. lots to unlearn as i go deeper in this hobby. thanks again! :)

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

blue squares posted:

This is great.

Too wide IMO. How about this?

Nope, original way better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I like the wider better too but move your horizon either up or down and crop off the top or bottom.