Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

razamataza posted:

Yeah it is a pretty annoying boss run tbf. Are you going on to Dark Souls 2 now?

E: Also it's a shame that you missed out on the DLC, you should definitely go back for that at some point because it has some of the best boss fights in the game

I bought DS, DS3, and Sekiro in the last sale, skipped DS2 because I heard it was the black sheep, but now I wanna play it so I'm gonna grab it and do it next. I'll also make sure I get into the DS DLC, a second run through the game will be faster now that I know where stuff is and I wanna do a strike weapon like the morning star.

QuarkJets posted:

The Dark Souls franchise is famous for having a multitude of good playstyles and builds, probably moreso than any other game of the last 2 decades. You've put yourself in that box

Like have you really never seen anyone talking about Fashion Souls, your armor choice doesn't really matter

I went through nearly the entire game with 0 poise because I liked the way a lot of the lighter pieces looked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Aramis posted:

That's all nice and good in theory, but there's just no denying that the games also have some objectively terrible boss run -> boss sequences. Case in point: The loving Capra demon, with its frequent habit of killing you before you have a chance of thinking about reaching your blood patch.

Literally just block

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

roomtone posted:

then there are other bosses where it isn't so much skill as tactic, and the run gives you time to both think about what the weakness is, while getting incrementally stronger

Nah this is bullshit, if you need to stop and think about it [you don't] you can just do that without the game wasting your time for you.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

All boss runs are dumb and bad and pointless tbh. Super Meat Boy got it right like 15 years ago and game developers just didn't notice.

Developers probably didn't notice because Super Meat Boy is not a good game, they did get that single aspect right though

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Finished Dark Souls. Digging into the wiki to see what I missed. One thing I missed for sure was the entire DLC, lol. I found the golem dude behind the waterfall (a week ago or so), and found the amulet in the archives, but if there was some clue that suggested I go back to that spot again I missed it.

The Kiln is a poo poo area and I think it's in the game only because the designers hate their player base and wanted them to have a pointless runback to try Gwyn again. Five Black Knights, the most backstabable enemies in the game, in very open areas isn't a challenge, it's just a waste of my loving time. And you'll be seeing them a lot, because Gwyn, while a well-designed boss, is a terrible end boss for this particular game. The entire game pounds into your head that combat is slow and methodical and does absolutely nothing to prepare a player to face a PCP Elemental with a flaming sword that has probably the longest reach of any weapon in the game. He's a Red Wolf of Radagon, long before Elden Ring came to be, and it's only my experience with Elden Ring that made him merely annoying instead of infuriating.

Also gently caress this game for throwing me into NG+ without giving me a chance to take a victory lap around the world and tie loose ends.

Aside from Gwyn I think the hardest boss for me was the Taurus Demon because I was still coming to terms with the game's pacing, and I didn't realize there was a ladder up to the battlement until after I'd beaten him so I spent the whole fight getting shot at from above.

I never did get to kill that dickhead Drake. I killed Petrus because I hit him by accident, killed that dude with the fat armor who you first meet outside of Sen's Fortress because I did something to aggro him inside at some point, and I killed the dude in the catacombs because he was acting shady as gently caress and by that point I just wanted to get on with it.

I picked the Witch's Ring as my starting gift because it sounded mysterious and I love witches and being able to talk to the Daughter was cool, if sad. Also Quelana owned.

Good game, good game. On to the next.

Yea the DLC is bizzarely hidden, you'd never find it if not for already having done that waterfall area and noticing something was different when revisiting it after the DLC dropped and told you to go there.

Curious that you dislike fighting all the black knights; they where kind of just a simple formality for me at that point, but it might have come down to build maybe? I didn't mind the final boss, again probably due to me rocking heavy shields, he's just a very vanilla fight, but faster, so it's appropriate for a challenge, unlike say some gimmick bosses.

The NPC sidequests are a bunch of bollocks, I think they're there for your second playthrough as no sane man would stumble upon more than half of them. Like, the guy in Onion Armour? I failed his quest as I had previously cleared out a room of non-respawning monsters before he arrived to complain about them. Sigh. I'm also currently playing Sekiro and I murdered a dude who was pillaging my lord's fort, turns out he's a vendor later in the game. rear end in a top hat devs.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dark Souls is infamous for having npc quests that are easy to break but i think that makes them more special, it feels really good when you manage to go through a quest without help knowing that it was fortuitous circumstance that led you here. The alternative is just a theme park. Nearly every other video game is a theme park, I think it's good that there's 1 franchise that isn't

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

QuarkJets posted:

Dark Souls is infamous for having npc quests that are easy to break but i think that makes them more special, it feels really good when you manage to go through a quest without help knowing that it was fortuitous circumstance that led you here. The alternative is just a theme park. Nearly every other video game is a theme park, I think it's good that there's 1 franchise that isn't

i think this is a much better way of saying what i was trying to say

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

QuarkJets posted:

Developers probably didn't notice because Super Meat Boy is not a good game, they did get that single aspect right though

wth super meat boy is rad :mad:

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I bought DS, DS3, and Sekiro in the last sale, skipped DS2 because I heard it was the black sheep, but now I wanna play it so I'm gonna grab it and do it next. I'll also make sure I get into the DS DLC, a second run through the game will be faster now that I know where stuff is and I wanna do a strike weapon like the morning star.

Even as a DS2 hater, I recommend you go ahead and play it for the full experience. And by full experience I mean so you can join the rest of us in the endless DS2 arguments.

But yeah, the DS1 DLC is actually really good and worth playing. You can probably rush to it on NG+ within a couple hours, or maybe even faster on a new character with the Master Key. Try going through it before you fight Sif.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

wth super meat boy is rad :mad:

:yeah:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

mind the walrus posted:

Is it wrong that I don't care about Baldur's Gate 3, like at all? I don't have any real hate for it-- it's impressive that it became this weird unicorn production and is getting rewarded for it, I'm happy it's a lot of people's first exposure to TTRPG stuff, I'm sure it's very enjoyable-- but I can't bring myself to give a gently caress. Idk romancing NPCs, D&D lore, and hundreds of hours of content all sounds like "not my thing."

No. It's an ok game. It's fun! It's nothing you absolutely need to play. I liked the things they added, like jumping or defenestrating, but I probably had a better time with Pillars of Eternity tbh. I think it's worth it at full price, for anyone who's specifically looking to play this kind of game.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Serephina posted:

Curious that you dislike fighting all the black knights; they where kind of just a simple formality for me at that point, but it might have come down to build maybe?

It wasn't so much that I disliked the actual fighting, it's just that there was zero risk because they're so easy to backstab in open areas, so it felt like it was nothing but a speed bump to keep me from getting back to Gwyn and trying again.

QuarkJets posted:

Agreed. There doesn't seem to be any way to soft lock or dead man's walk yourself by loving them up, so I'm all for convoluted stuff.

Devils Affricate posted:

Even as a DS2 hater, I recommend you go ahead and play it for the full experience. And by full experience I mean so you can join the rest of us in the endless DS2 arguments.

But yeah, the DS1 DLC is actually really good and worth playing. You can probably rush to it on NG+ within a couple hours, or maybe even faster on a new character with the Master Key. Try going through it before you fight Sif.

DS2 will be next, might goof around in DS a bit first, because the winter sale looks like it's starting on the 21st and if I can get DS2 on sale so much the better.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
been playing Arx Fatalis and i'm realizing it's been a while since we've had any good new eurojank. Kingdom Come is the last one I can think of.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Even if you don't like BG3 gameplay much, its very obviously setting a standard for video games to beat as far as quantity, quality and attention to detail go. You can see how long it took and how much care was put into it, it makes Mass Effect look like a game for tiny infant newborn babies.

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

been playing Arx Fatalis and i'm realizing it's been a while since we've had any good new eurojank. Kingdom Come is the last one I can think of.

Eurojank is great but I'm excited for the next generation, Chinajank. Like that monkey game that's coming out looks like total chinajank and i'm down for it. They seem to be making some good looking games with quite small teams. I'm tired of every small western independent team making some kind of twee pixel platformer about overcoming your anxiety or whatever.

My third opinion of this post is that if someone describes their game as "a love letter to" then it just means its a ripoff and its worse.

Caesar Saladin fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 15, 2023

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
If you like the idea of BG3 but don't give the slightest gently caress about the D&D world or lore, try playing their previous game Divinity: Original Sin II. It's very similar mechanically, without being tied to the 5E ruleset (or an approximation thereof) and you don't need to give the slightest fucks about the forgetten realms.

Also you can eat body parts as an Elf to gain their memories, and the "talk to animals" perk is available from the start and absolutely amazing. I bounced off BG3, loved DOS2.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

I just started Elex II. There's a part in the beginning where it trains you to be stealthy, which I was, and avoided all the enemies, but I think maybe you're supposed to fail it? As soon as I walked a little onward a cutscene started where I was running from enemies. Oh Piranha Bytes, you make the same janky game again and again and I love each iteration of it.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Elex 2 spoils you with the jetpack upgrades making it hard to go back to their older games that don't have it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
BG3 not having a Skeleton option in character creation was a huge mistake.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

They decided to make it with the skeleton of a game system instead :rimshot:

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I wanted to make a goblin character in BG3 but that wasn't an option so I made a gnome and gave her green skin. Game is boring as gently caress though so who cares.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Lol I also did a green gnome psuedogoblin. Too bad you can't change the face away from the default set of heads. Gets better once you eat enough worms.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

deep dish peat moss posted:

BG3 is a mediocre game but it's good at being a d&d themed self-insert Disney movie with hentai scenes which is what the market wants these days

This is accurate, but I've said this before and stand by it: I'd like BG3 more (and I like it quite a lot) if it was just X-Com style "send your guys into this dungeon, do an objective" so I can still hunt for progressively bigger swords with higher numbers, but I don't have to suck a sad vampires dick or whatever.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You don’t have to suck the dick you know

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

jokes posted:

You don’t have to suck the dick you know

WHO THE gently caress WOULD CHOOSE NOT TO?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Disco Pope posted:

This is accurate, but I've said this before and stand by it: I'd like BG3 more (and I like it quite a lot) if it was just X-Com style "send your guys into this dungeon, do an objective" so I can still hunt for progressively bigger swords with higher numbers, but I don't have to suck a sad vampires dick or whatever.

the whole "get swords with higher numbers" is a symptom of a broken gamer brain and is responsible for an insane amount of damage, go play something with fun characters and heal yourself

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

yeah seriously maybe you're not enjoying bg3 because you think you have to min max and get big item instead of sucking said vampire dick

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I'm just glad we got to hatin games for what they actually are.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Caesar Saladin posted:

the whole "get swords with higher numbers" is a symptom of a broken gamer brain and is responsible for an insane amount of damage, go play something with fun characters and heal yourself

No, I also have access to books and movies and art and song.

AlphaKeny1 posted:

yeah seriously maybe you're not enjoying bg3 because you think you have to min max and get big item instead of sucking said vampire dick

I said I like it a lot, I'm just not very into the role-playing part of RPGs as much as the serotonin from a big number that says CRITICAL HIT part. I fully get that that makes me a certain kind of game and that I would probably have fun rolling a D20 and entering the results into Excel, however.

I'd even agree BG3 is very good at all the travelling polycule of potential 'ships thing, I just personally don't care that much.

Duck and Cover posted:

WHO THE gently caress WOULD CHOOSE NOT TO?

Exactly. What if you unlock the blade of +2 dick sucking or something?

For real, I'm not a min-maxer or a looter-shooter guy or anything just someone who thought Advance Wars: Dual Strike and Dark Souls were really cool and whose perfect game is kind of between those.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Dec 15, 2023

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Disco Pope posted:

No, I also have access to books and movies and art and song.

calling music "song" means that you can't be healed and are in fact terminal

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
my opinion of BG3's writing can be summed up by that simpsons meme with hans moleman in a phone booth, and he's saying "give me the horniest RPG you have. . . . no, that's too horny"

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Caesar Saladin posted:

calling music "song" means that you can't be healed and are in fact terminal

Song is a storytelling tradition while music isn't necessarily so get rekt

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i'm sorry, i think its time for you to get your affairs in order

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I just got divorced a year ago and have been experiencing the dating app scene for the first time so uh

I'm not sure I need a horny RPG because that's basically what my real life is currently

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
You need to find out

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I just got divorced a year ago and have been experiencing the dating app scene for the first time so uh

I'm not sure I need a horny RPG because that's basically what my real life is currently

<opens notes app>

Tinder for swords

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Disco Pope posted:

<opens notes app>

Tinder for swords

Grindr?

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

“Sword and Bored”

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Disco Pope posted:

<opens notes app>

Tinder for swords

They made this game, Boyfriend Dungeon.

It was not very good

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Duel with lonely older wizards in your area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Disco Pope posted:

Tinder for swords

Well that's just Boyfriend Dungeon.