Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I've run a bunch of games, but never Pathfinder 2e. I didn't really want to buy the beginner box as I already have the Core, but wanted a good intro adventure and some pregens that would work for some people who've never played. Any ideas? Or am I better just getting the beginner box?

Yeah you're describing the beginner box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

The beginner box isn't redundant if you already have the core or the GM/PG books.

The rules in the box are a slim soft cover booklet, handouts of pregens, and a ton of cardboard minis to use.

The core books is so dense, even split, that just reading through it does you no favors. The beginner box will guide the players through learning it, and guide the GM through running it so you aren't trying to keep track of everything at once.

I bought the beginner box are buying the core and it was incredibly helpful to parse out when I needed to apply the rules in the book instead of trying to track and double check everything all the time.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

hello gamers, does anyone know where I can find a gunslinger module for pf2e foundry?

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
There's pf2e ranged combat for more involved ammunition tracking, but other than that there's just what's in the base system.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I've run a bunch of games, but never Pathfinder 2e. I didn't really want to buy the beginner box as I already have the Core, but wanted a good intro adventure and some pregens that would work for some people who've never played. Any ideas? Or am I better just getting the beginner box?

get the PDF of the beginner box for all of 5 bucks at humble bundle .com while supplies last. It's a great intro adventure with great pregens.

If you really really don't want to do that, the previous years free RPG day adventures all include a group of thematic level 1 pregens - Little Trouble in Big Absalom gives you a group of level 1 kobolds to solve a mystery underneath grandmas house, and the leshy one has some leshys

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

ItohRespectArmy posted:

hello gamers, does anyone know where I can find a gunslinger module for pf2e foundry?

What exactly do you need a module for? Gunslingers are supported in the baseline version of Foundry, unless there's some specific class feature you'd like to see better scripting for or something

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Chevy Slyme posted:

What exactly do you need a module for? Gunslingers are supported in the baseline version of Foundry, unless there's some specific class feature you'd like to see better scripting for or something

there dosen't seem to be any of the ammo from guns and gears in the compendium, so I can't seem to do any of the attack macroes, I just assumed that the guns and gear stuff was a seperate module due to that.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
Just finished our first session of Outlaws of Alkenstar! It was pretty fun.

(Outlaws of Alkenstar spoilers, obviously) We've just gotten away from the bank after picking up the chest from the vault, but the GM told us that we apparently left behind a bunch of items because we didn't check any cabinets, since we were under a time crunch. Oops. :blush:

e: We're going to try to search a bit more carefully in situations where we have more time, but in the meantime, does anyone have any non-spoilery hints?

ZZT the Fifth fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Dec 15, 2023

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Fun Shoe

ItohRespectArmy posted:

there dosen't seem to be any of the ammo from guns and gears in the compendium, so I can't seem to do any of the attack macroes, I just assumed that the guns and gear stuff was a seperate module due to that.

The ammunition for firearms is called "rounds", so make sure you're searching for that.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

ItohRespectArmy posted:

Also, if your GM is manually curating the allowed sources, they might have missed enabling Guns and Gears (this has happened in my games sometimes).

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

ItohRespectArmy posted:

Yeah, make sure you have Rounds (arquebus) or whatever your gun is.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

3 Action Economist posted:

You should definitely get the Beginner Box, but if you're really opposed to that there are a few related adventures that are also good for beginners. Troubles in Otari is one.

But the BB will teach you as a GM and the players how mechanics work with ramping them up throughout the adventure, &c. That's what makes it good.

To double down on this, the BB does a really cool subtle thing where every encounter adds one extra rule/mechanic (without explicitly calling it out). So the first combat is 'learn how 3 actions work' and then the next combat is 'learn about saving throws' and then another one is 'learn about conditions' and one more is 'learn about flanking'.

It doesn't put a big red circle around each of those, which makes it feel really natural in how combat slowly gets more complex as the adventure goes on. By the time you get to the final encounter, the players should have a great grasp on figuring out efficient action economies and planning their turns in ways that allow the fight to be fairly dynamic! I was really impressed with the entire box.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Clerical Terrors posted:

First session of Stolen Fate went well, still have to get used to the switch from Wizard to Witch, I miss having so many spellslots...

Also got Stifling Stillness banned per GM fiat, somehow nobody in his games had ever used this spell before.

They said I was mad when I took Breath Control letting me hold my breath 25 times as long as normal. Who is laughing now??!? Nobody, because we're all holding our breath.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
New Pathfinder Humble Bundle is up and includes the Abomination Vaults AP and Foundry Module

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Among many other books that are part of the usual Pathfinder bundles... but I don't remember seeing Secrets of Magic in any of the old bundles? So that might be a new one.

For anyone looking to start Pathfinder, it includes the Beginner Box along with a short campaign that dovetails off the end of it (Or, you could go whole hog because the beginner box ALSO dovetails nicely into the Abomination Vaults AP included in this bundle), and some nice one-shots.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Well I don't have Beginner's Box or the LO World Guide, but I'm pissed that they no longer have the charity sliders. $5 means I'm only donating $0.25 to the charity? Fuuuuuuuuuuck you.

E-- oh cool Paizo's download is busted again. Holy poo poo do they need to revamp that 5 years ago.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 18, 2023

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Fun Shoe
they do have the sliders, you have to click the arrow next to adjust donation then choose custom amount

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

It's an encore of the "try out Pathfinder" bundle from February, with as far as I can tell no new additions. So if you already got that, you're golden.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I wish some stuff was physical like the pawns and such.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Secrets of Magic was definitely in the most recent bundle as well. There's a lot of overlap between the two but Bestiary 2, Character Guide, Ancestry Guide, Big Trouble in Little Absalom, and the PFS modules with the leshy and the lizardfolk on the cover are new to this one (compared to the previous one at least)

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Maybe a dumb question for the Pathfinder thread- but I like Pathfinder and you all like Pathfinder so maybe you have opinions that would align to my interests...

Anyone here ever play 13th age, and develop any thoughts about it? Anything interesting in it that could be hacked off and pulled in to other games?

Looking back at my bookmarked threads, I thought one day I'd pick that game up since I liked 4e...and that was probably 8-9 years ago. Feels like it had a niche and people were excited by it at the time, but in the dark shadow cast by 5e, it seems to have fallen to the wayside.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I'd say it's more "in the dark shadow cast by Tweet being revealed as a guy who 'just asks questions' about Race Science", but I had a lot of good times with 13th Age. It's got its rough spots, just like every game in the dungeon-crawling heroes niche. I feel like the game missed the actual best part of its Icons system, which is also one of the most easily stolen parts of the system, which is using "how do I relate to the Great Powers of the setting" as a replacement for alignment. Another thing I liked about 13A that nobody has copied was that you get a full rest every four fights, period, without it necessarily being tied to any narrative passing of time. The entirety of level 9 in my campaign took place over the space of one very, very intense in-game afternoon.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
13A is more rules-light than PF2 and requires much less of a big map. If your group isn't interested in the more intense tactical play that PF tends to lean towards, it's a very good bet.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

If you want a fun example of how it sounds when played, Realms of Peril and Glory did a campaign called Vael in 13th Age that was pretty good and had exciting narrative combat.

https://www.realmspod.com/vael

Lamuella fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Dec 19, 2023

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Gracias all :)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Maybe a dumb question for the Pathfinder thread- but I like Pathfinder and you all like Pathfinder so maybe you have opinions that would align to my interests...

Anyone here ever play 13th age, and develop any thoughts about it? Anything interesting in it that could be hacked off and pulled in to other games?

Looking back at my bookmarked threads, I thought one day I'd pick that game up since I liked 4e...and that was probably 8-9 years ago. Feels like it had a niche and people were excited by it at the time, but in the dark shadow cast by 5e, it seems to have fallen to the wayside.

The 13th age core book is secretly one of the best GM advice books I’ve ever read - it really does a great job of how to make concepts like failing forward work in a d20 based system without making dice rolls seem meaningless, and the system is absolutely riddled with mechanics you can easily yoink.

The Escalation Die is just begging to be grabbed for a big set-piece encounter, and you can easily throw in various environmental means to manipulate it. Also, the Montage rules for fast forwarding through travel nonsense are great.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

13th Age is still my favorite D&D offshoot. I'll be introducing my Pathfinder (1e) group to it soon, so we'll see how they take to it.

Besides the other mechanics folks have mentioned, I really like the use of Backgrounds instead of skills, and that can be easily adapted to most d20 systems.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

the escalation die is a good way of stopping combat feeling stodgy too.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
For those of us without the 13 Age PHB, anyone willing to summarize the good and stealable ideas would be very appreciated.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Scoss posted:

For those of us without the 13 Age PHB, anyone willing to summarize the good and stealable ideas would be very appreciated.

Escalation die is an idea for making sure combat doesn't drag. It comes into play at the top of the second round with a value of 1. All player attack rolls gain +1. With each rtound that passes the die goes up by 1, unless the GM judges that players are stalling or running out the clock to get better bonuses.

If you want a look at this or other rules, the 13th Age SRD is online at https://www.13thagesrd.com/ and the escalation die is described in the combat rules.https://www.13thagesrd.com/combat-rules/

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Some class abilities specifically key off of it in different ways, which wouldn't be as easy to port out of the system, but even just "you get more accurate over time" has some nice effects. As a DM it was nice for the players to have a reason to hold on to their big abilities, rather than alpha striking immediately and then spend the rest of the fight using their less interesting kit.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
pf2 fights are pretty short and brutal as is idk if there'd be much value in an escalation die jacking up crit rates even further

4e would have benefited from it though

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

I've had occasional slogs in PF2, though it's always been because of long "nobody rolls above 10" streaks and the exception rather than the rule.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

PublicOpinion posted:

Some class abilities specifically key off of it in different ways, which wouldn't be as easy to port out of the system, but even just "you get more accurate over time" has some nice effects. As a DM it was nice for the players to have a reason to hold on to their big abilities, rather than alpha striking immediately and then spend the rest of the fight using their less interesting kit.

Yeah I wouldn’t even try to port over class interactions with the die, but it could be fun to introduce environmental methods to mess with it on an encounter basis, and maybe pump enemy defenses (without changing offense!) to prolong a fight and lean into it a bit, if your goal is to set up a dramatic encounter where Stuff Happens over time.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Scoss posted:

https://www.13thagesrd.com is the SRD, although it's much more bare-bones than the book and occasionally misses out important details.

Anyway, to summarize my contribution to this discussion, instead of skills 13A characters have backgrounds -- you get 8 points to put into backgrounds, with no more than 5 points into any one. These points are added to rolls where your background could apply, so for instance, if you have Sergeant of the XVIth Legion as a background, you could use it to assess the quality of troops, organize a mob into a disciplined fighting force, inspire allies to fight on in the face of certain defeat, scrounge for gear, intimidate people by yelling at them, or socialize with other legonaries.

Chevy Slyme posted:

Yeah I wouldn’t even try to port over class interactions with the die, but it could be fun to introduce environmental methods to mess with it on an encounter basis, and maybe pump enemy defenses (without changing offense!) to prolong a fight and lean into it a bit, if your goal is to set up a dramatic encounter where Stuff Happens over time.

I've often found the Die useful as a timer for events and environmental effects -- "the volcano erupts when the Escalation Die reaches 2," that kind of thing.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
I will say that the Icon system is amazing as part of character creation and not the best as something that comes up in sessions. Basically, during character creation you get three points you can assign to the major iconic powers of the setting to represent your relationship to them, along with whether that relationship is positive, negative or complicated. There's some unnecessary limits on how much of a positive relationship you can have with a villainous power, but the important part is that you have a whole line on your character sheet for Emperor 1 (Positive), Archmage 1 (Negative), Diabolist 1 (Conflicted) to show that your fighter is a devoted servant of the empire that really hates the emperor's chief magister and has a weird thing going on with the diabolic forces you're fighting. This does so much to root characters in the setting, and this half of it can be easily ported to any setting or system.

The problem is that this mostly comes up in game in the form of rolling a number of d6s equal to your rating in each Icon at the start of the session. If you get a 6, something good comes up due to your relationship with that icon. If you roll a 5, something that's both good and complicated happens. This means someone in your party will probably have something come up, but the odds of nothing coming up are still far from zero. It also means the odds of any given Icon coming up in an adventure are low enough to feel like you shouldn't put much prep into any one of them, but also if you don't prepare anything ahead of time and a 5 or 6 does come up you need to figure something out for this session immediately and it's just way more annoying to GM with than it has any right being. I can only hope 13th Age 2e improves on the system, but I've stopped paying attention to it because Tweet's a dickhead so who knows how that's going to turn out.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Yeah, like a lot of things in 13th Age, it's a potentially good idea that's terrible in context.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

13th Age Glorantha uses Gloranthan runes instead of the icons, and has much more detailed rules and examples of how to use runes when the dice come up in your favor, and I believe 13A 2E is going to provide the same thing. But given how slowly the playtest is going (I know, a Pelgrane product slow to come out, who'd have thunk?), who knows?

As it is, I find it easier to roll relationship dice once per full heal-up (4 encounters) rather than per session, and have the players roll their relationship dice before we actually get together for the session so there's time to plan a few things. And letting players suggest ideas on how to use their relationship dice, instead of putting it all on the GM, can help too!

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Ok I feel like I hit it out of the park with that 13th Age question.

Does anyone have a game (probably in the D&D vein) that they feel does something head and shoulders above the pack in terms of how to manage scenes that D&D/Pathfinder would usually address with some variation of extended skill challenges? Both in terms of soft-advice as well as a system that maybe engages beyond asking players to try and justify their best skill in to participating? I've seen a few videos about the WFRP system that seems like it could be headed in the right direction, but now with 13th age I have like 5 PDFs I should probably pick up when I get my bonus next year.

Basically...the more Pathfinder Society I play, the more annoyed I am with the state of skills as a part of scenarios (also started playing Sky King's Tomb and feel like I'm seeing similar stuff). Lots of scenes being hung off 2 or 3 skill checks, bad fail states, no choice economy, no reason for players to coordinate...IDK I'd like to find a more robust tool for non-combat scenes that I can anchor a session around the same way I can say 'this combat is going to be the centerpiece of tonight'

Edit- I feel like my ideal is to find a skill challenge system that results in players saying to each other "ok but if you [do x] that will let me [do y]" in the same way a caster might ask a fighter to push an enemy with their attack to set them up for a big blast/cone attack.

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Ok I feel like I hit it out of the park with that 13th Age question.

Does anyone have a game (probably in the D&D vein) that they feel does something head and shoulders above the pack in terms of how to manage scenes that D&D/Pathfinder would usually address with some variation of extended skill challenges? Both in terms of soft-advice as well as a system that maybe engages beyond asking players to try and justify their best skill in to participating? I've seen a few videos about the WFRP system that seems like it could be headed in the right direction, but now with 13th age I have like 5 PDFs I should probably pick up when I get my bonus next year.

Basically...the more Pathfinder Society I play, the more annoyed I am with the state of skills as a part of scenarios (also started playing Sky King's Tomb and feel like I'm seeing similar stuff). Lots of scenes being hung off 2 or 3 skill checks, bad fail states, no choice economy, no reason for players to coordinate...IDK I'd like to find a more robust tool for non-combat scenes that I can anchor a session around the same way I can say 'this combat is going to be the centerpiece of tonight'

blades in the dark, but it does so by skipping over the stuff that would be covered by skill checks and players reference/define those events after the fact in flashback scenes