Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Honestly they didn't even need a plot where it gets resolved, they could've just dropped a single line about the Time Lords removing the limit from everyone during the war and called it a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Random Stranger posted:

I suspect that Moffat was happy to shuffle things around so that he'd be the one to resolve the regeneration limit question. If he wasn't in charge, then someone might do something weird like say the Doctor was a secret super special Time Lord who could regenerate as many times as they needed and was the source of all Time Lord regeneration and all the Morbius Doctors counted.

Let's be fair, that's the funniest part. That was the Doctor Who equivalent of JJ Abrams trying to undo everything that Rian Johnson did with The Last Jedi. Just scribbling all over what the last person wrote and yelling "NO, NOT LIKE THAT"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Davies wrote a short story that was set right before Rose, and it described the Time War in a bunch of crazed psychedelic imagery (iirc Earth was mentioned somewhere with its history being used as ammo for a giant gun or something) and at one point said the Doctor had been reborn and unborn so many times now due to the war that not only didn't he know what regen he was on, he didn't even know how old he was. He wrote it in 2013 right before the show itself wrote out the regeneration limit so it never got published, but the Time War was a good implied way to resolve the whole thing.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Seeing some of that abstract and time winding stuff would've been interesting. For as big a deal the time war is meant to be, I just kind of have a vague conception of "big war, everyone dying and it sucks" which is all we absolutely need... But using history in a time gun is the kind of poo poo to properly elevate over just another cataclysmic war.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

MikeJF posted:

Honestly they didn't even need a plot where it gets resolved, they could've just dropped a single line about the Time Lords removing the limit from everyone during the war and called it a day.

I mean, they COULD have. However, the crux of the Time of the Doctor would be non-existent, and then there would be nothing memorable about it. As it stands, the episode works because you've got the Doctor saying "well, I'm out of regenerations, so I'm going to spend every day on Christmas for the rest of my life" and Clara begging the Time Lords to give the Doctor more time, like he saved them in the previous episode.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Random Stranger posted:

I suspect that Moffat was happy to shuffle things around so that he'd be the one to resolve the regeneration limit question. If he wasn't in charge, then someone might do something weird like say the Doctor was a secret super special Time Lord who could regenerate as many times as they needed and was the source of all Time Lord regeneration and all the Morbius Doctors counted.

Multiple Morbius Doctors? Granted I wasn't paying attention too much but I only remember one Doctor Who in Morbius.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's extremely funny that there was a magic number the first time because most things that ask you to think too hard about the concept make it seem silly. But they really did double-down on that for awhile in the classic series, so they had to explain it away.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

It's extremely funny that there was a magic number the first time because most things that ask you to think too hard about the concept make it seem silly. But they really did double-down on that for awhile in the classic series, so they had to explain it away.

They did, but RTD had already done it when the Master came back

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The funniest thing about the regeneration limit is that the Time Lords, in The Five Doctors, flat out offer The Master a brand new regeneration cycle. So even in the classic series the limit had been tossed aside.

And The Master wasn't even in a Time Lord body!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Davros1 posted:

The funniest thing about the regeneration limit is that the Time Lords, in The Five Doctors, flat out offer The Master a brand new regeneration cycle. So even in the classic series the limit had been tossed aside.

And The Master wasn't even in a Time Lord body!

I mean you could argue "Oh no the timelords are gone so they can't" but then RTD brought THEM back as well.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Fil5000 posted:

I mean you could argue "Oh no the timelords are gone so they can't" but then RTD brought THEM back as well.

Moffat brought them back :ssh:

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I subscribed to a DW fanzine in the 80s and somebody brought that up in the letter column, and the editor’s response was basically “okay nice idea but doing The Thirteen Doctors would just be silly, c’mon”

I hope that editor was around for the 50th anniversary special

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

Moffat brought them back :ssh:

RTD did first, remember? Timothy Dalton as Rassilon?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Fil5000 posted:

RTD did first, remember? Timothy Dalton as Rassilon?

:doh: I try to forget the End of Time, I really do.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Every time Rassilon's spittle touches you, you get a new regeneration cycle.

Just this once, everybody lives, forever!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Bicyclops posted:

Every time Rassilon's spittle touches you, you get a new regeneration cycle.

Just this once, everybody lives, forever!

It's a self defense evolutionary trait. Without it he would eventually run out of scenery to chew.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I wish they'd had him go as full camp as he did in Hot Fuzz.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Clipperton posted:

I subscribed to a DW fanzine in the 80s and somebody brought that up in the letter column, and the editor’s response was basically “okay nice idea but doing The Thirteen Doctors would just be silly, c’mon”

I hope that editor was around for the 50th anniversary special

“No sir! All thirteen!” made me leap out of my seat, such a great moment.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I like the regeneration limit as a thing because it does make it seem like something the doctor shouldn't waste trivially.

Oh no, I got a pimple

~*MURRAY GOLD*~

HMM new skin, that's weird.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Whatever happened to Jamie Mathinson?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

PriorMarcus posted:

Whatever happened to Jamie Mathinson?

He put out a short story collection earlier this year. Self-published.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

He put out a short story collection earlier this year. Self-published.

Interesting. Has anyone read it?

He wrote four episodes for Capaldi and people seemed to enjoy them all, then he vanished entirely.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Speaking of writers, with only 8 eps per season, wonder how much opportunity there will be for a variety of writers with our new Doctor.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Speaking of writers, with only 8 eps per season, wonder how much opportunity there will be for a variety of writers with our new Doctor.

I assume Rusty is doing the opener and the finale, maybe one more (maybe the first part of the finale if they do it as a 2-parter), so 5 slots?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

I wish they'd had him go as full camp as he did in Hot Fuzz.

I mean...... didn't he? lol

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I haven't been following things super closely but seeing some stuff suggesting the colourisation of The Daleks wasn't a one off?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Random Stranger posted:

2house2fly posted:

Davies wrote a short story that was set right before Rose, and it described the Time War in a bunch of crazed psychedelic imagery (iirc Earth was mentioned somewhere with its history being used as ammo for a giant gun or something) and at one point said the Doctor had been reborn and unborn so many times now due to the war that not only didn't he know what regen he was on, he didn't even know how old he was. He wrote it in 2013 right before the show itself wrote out the regeneration limit so it never got published, but the Time War was a good implied way to resolve the whole thing.

What if they brought back an obscure villain from 60 years ago and had him use godlike powers to meddle with the Doctor's past so we have idea how many regenerations he has?

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
I remember someone asking in this thread over a decade ago if the show was going to end once he hit the regen limit. There were fans that believed this!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Astroman posted:

What if they brought back an obscure villain from 60 years ago and had him use godlike powers to meddle with the Doctor's past so we have idea how many regenerations he has?

Nah, it'd only work if you got some big time Broadway star to play the role, and where is Doctor Who gonna find the money for that?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I haven't been following things super closely but seeing some stuff suggesting the colourisation of The Daleks wasn't a one off?

I think RTD’s suggested he’d love to see all the black and white serials colorized, but I don’t think anything has been specifically announced.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Give it a decade, and they’ll be able to feed every classic fuzzy black and white episode into an AI upscaler and pop out 4k results with perfect color as if it were filmed on 35mm.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Gaz-L posted:

There was an interview with the team behind the colour Daleks on Radio Free Skaro about a month ago where they said a second colourisation was coming.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Gaz-L posted:

The Colourisation of The Daleks

I love that episode!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

I mean...... didn't he? lol

I think he was about 70% of Hot Fuzz level of camp. Like he was clearly directed to play it big as Rassilon but he didn't have the same sort of malicious glee that characterised Simon Skinner.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Fil5000 posted:

I think he was about 70% of Hot Fuzz level of camp. Like he was clearly directed to play it big as Rassilon but he didn't have the same sort of malicious glee that characterised Simon Skinner.

I don't think anything can top Simon Skinner though. "I'm a SLASHER...of PRICES!"

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I don't think anything can top Simon Skinner though. "I'm a SLASHER...of PRICES!"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

This joke is funny every single time it turns up in anything.

Even the terrible American I.T. Crowd pilot couldn't gently caress it up.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

It was a crying shame they (presumably couldn't) get Dalton back as Rassilon for the Capaldi episodes. It's such a brief appearance but it's absolute rubbish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

PriorMarcus posted:

It was a crying shame they (presumably couldn't) get Dalton back as Rassilon for the Capaldi episodes. It's such a brief appearance but it's absolute rubbish.

I don't get this, he's not bad in the role at all.

That said, not that Dalton's a bad actor but IMO Donald Sumpter's probably better. Or, at least, has less of a history of just phoning it in.