Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That counts too imo. When people say “seems like ai” it’s just a mismash of everything slammed together into a barely incoherent manor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

if you say "like an AI generated it" in 2023 i'm going to assume you mean actual SEO-optimized gibberish and not, like, that meme from a decade ago where you pretend a computer made your not-very-funny parody of something popular

like this is what I imagine when I hear that: https://twitter.com/VoidBurger/status/1728310533147791602

This explicitly doesn't seem to be written by an AI to me because it goes back to finish an earlier thought (why the guy would be out picking berries) and doesn't just "yes and" itself onto some weird tangent. Doubling back from talking about strange occurrences to expounding on berry picking is clunky writing and maybe even a weird line read or edit, but doesn't immediately make me think "yeah an AI wrote this" as if there wasn't bad writing before AI existed.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
This is what I am saying. Why use a vague term like this when you can just say it's a sloppy mish-mash, or derivative, or blandly regurgitated, or any one of 20 other terms that narrows it down and removes any ambiguity? That's precisely what I don't like about grimdark, which can refer to tone, plot premise, characterization, setting, defiance of genre tropes...so much space there.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The Silent Hill thing feels like a bad writer attempting to copy the older games' surreal, dreamy mood without understanding how or why any of it worked

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://www.techradar.com/streaming/netflix/zack-snyder-built-a-whole-new-camera-lens-to-give-netflixs-rebel-moon-a-distorted-retro-look

quote:

Zack Snyder has revealed how he crafted a camera lens using four different pieces of technology to create a "distorted retro" look for his new film Rebel Moon.

Speaking to TechRadar at the Netflix movie's UK junket, the fan-favorite director explained how he combined various tech to create a brand-new lens to augment Rebel Moon's visual style.

To begin with, Snyder tracked down multiple versions of the same vintage Japanese camera lens. Once enough units had been sourced, Snyder and his team took each lens apart before affixing certain parts to three different German-made Leica products. These Frankenstein's Monster-like devices were then used to shoot specific scenes in Rebel Moon Part 1: A Child of Fire to optically warp said sequences.

The new lenses are "based on the hard glass, which is behind the anamorphic elements of the Leica rangefinder series, plus the Summilux and Noctilux lenses," Snyder said. "We found some Japanese anamorphic lenses from a company called Cineovision, which was set up in the 1960s. We took them apart, grabbed the anamorphic element, and attached them to the Summilux and Noctilux lenses.

"What happens in super-wide angles, such as 24mm, the anamorphic optics of the Cineovision elements are so retro that they give this bizarre distortion. For instance, there's a shot where Sam [Charlotte Maggi] is talking to Jimmy [voiced by Anthony Hopkins]. She's standing and he's seated, and the entire top of the frame is out of focus, but Jimmy is in full focus, so it has this weird vignetted accentuation. I love that cool aberration effect we achieved with the lenses."

I don't know of that many blockbuster directors that create their own lenses. Dude really is one of a kind

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

This is what I am saying. Why use a vague term like this when you can just say it's a sloppy mish-mash, or derivative, or blandly regurgitated, or any one of 20 other terms that narrows it down and removes any ambiguity? That's precisely what I don't like about grimdark, which can refer to tone, plot premise, characterization, setting, defiance of genre tropes...so much space there.

Because it’s fun

(This movie might own idk I’m excited for it)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Seems like Rebel Moon is trying to do to Star Wars what Star Wars did to Flash Gordon. "Derivative" sounds like a good thing to me in that context.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

McCloud posted:

https://www.techradar.com/streaming/netflix/zack-snyder-built-a-whole-new-camera-lens-to-give-netflixs-rebel-moon-a-distorted-retro-look

I don't know of that many blockbuster directors that create their own lenses. Dude really is one of a kind

Directors, not many. Only other I can think of in recent history is Evan Glodel for Bellflower. But rehousing older/specific glass into newer housing has been done by DPs for ages. Its not common though.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I like this lens more than the dream one he used in Army. It was certainly gave an unique look to Army but I generally didn't care for it and it had that dead pixel to it (I didn't notice but some people did). Everything I've seen from Rebel Moon looks incredible, though.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Look, I'm sure we all wish that Rebel Moon could be as daring and original as the Star Wars sequels....

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

Because it’s fun

(This movie might own idk I’m excited for it)

So sick of this grimdark posting

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Saw this post from the Dune thread:

Philthy posted:

The banners freaking rule. Thats some Warhammer 40k grim dark poo poo.

I am not making GBS threads on this poster when I say: what is grim dark doing there? It means nothing. You can just say "it's some Warhammer 40k poo poo". There's nothing grim dark about the banners.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
"Grim dark" has been taken to mean approximately five hundred things over the years but lets not forget the term comes from a Warhammer 40k tag line.

"It looks like Warhammer 40k" is one of the original meanings of the term.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

in the grim darkness of the current internet there is only confusion about what nerds are trying to say

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
It's time to launch a psychological warfare campaign by loudly and publicly claiming Rebel Moon as the newest entry in the "hopepunk" genre.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

It's time to launch a psychological warfare campaign by loudly and publicly claiming Rebel Moon as the newest entry in the "hopepunk" genre.

This guy gets it

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ferrinus posted:

Please don't

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

popehunk, which is if Zack Snyder makes a movie about Catholic politics

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I mean the baddies in this are dressed in Cardinals robes?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Bongo Bill posted:

popehunk, which is if Zack Snyder makes a movie about Catholic politics

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

josh04 posted:

I mean the baddies in this are dressed in Cardinals robes?

Yeah but to really be true to Snyders style the robes need to be cut in a way that reveals their chiseled abs and pecs

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

what...what am i looking at here?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

McCloud posted:

Yeah but to really be true to Snyders style the robes need to be cut in a way that reveals their chiseled abs and pecs

Yeah the outfit has to have the Snyder Cut to show how you're Cut like Snyder

This reminds me I loving love the head zealot dude in Wheel of Time lmao

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Snowman_McK posted:

A scene from Spanish supernatural thriller series 30 Coins, whose second season featuring Paul Giamatti has just finished airing. Don't skip this one!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

A scene from Spanish supernatural thriller series 30 Coins, whose second season featuring Paul Giamatti has just finished airing. Don't skip this one!

It's a buck wild show

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

It's a buck wild show

The season finale was bonkers. Is it part of the Snyder canon and therefore appropriate for discussion in this thread? Well, if we look to Barthes,

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ferrinus posted:

The season finale was bonkers. Is it part of the Snyder canon and therefore appropriate for discussion in this thread? Well, if we look to Barthes,

Rebel Moons is taking some inspiration from the King Arthur stories, right? We might see a Le Morte d' yet!

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

Snowman_McK posted:

One thing that really distracted me was how fake the muscles look. I can't find anything on it but it really looks like he was wearing rubber arms for those scenes. He looks much smaller when wearing clothes and you would notice delts like that.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Uhh idk. He looks old man ripped, kinda like Jk Simmons, but not actually that huge. It's pretty easy to miss stuff like that depending on the clothes.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

Martman posted:

Uhh idk. He looks old man ripped, kinda like Jk Simmons, but not actually that huge. It's pretty easy to miss stuff like that depending on the clothes.

Can only assume JK Simmons is staying yoked for the inevitable new season of 'Oz'

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Snyder being in Teen Titans Go means he’s St Elsewhere’d into multiple properties now.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Surprise surprise, Rebel Moon is getting savaged by reviewers who seem to hate slow motion, Snyder's colour palette, and the general idea of ripping off Star Wars/Seven Samurai. I personally feel all those things are actually cool, really looking forward to this.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Can't wait for a hundred variations of parroted "Zack Snyder likes to make movies that 'look cool,' Christ what an rear end in a top hat" takes, followed by more original reactions that actually engage with the material, be they negative / mixed / positive.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I'll be hosting a Man of Steel stream in the CineD discord in a few mins; doin a sorta test run ahead of the Rebel Moon stream next week.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Been a hot minute since I saw the film too. This is great.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Jimbot posted:

Been a hot minute since I saw the film too. This is great.

I love it in part because every time I go back and watch it it’s better than I remembered.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That wrapped up the MoS watchalong. That was really fun. The film keeps getting better each time I watch it. A few lines are stinkers, the whole ending sequence does go on for a bit too long and there are a couple rough cuts but beyond that it's a masterpiece.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

the photocopier cut is an all timer gag

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'm tickled to this day that literally the climax of the movie has a "days without acccident" joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

quote:

In fact, Snyder has said that he started dreaming up the film when he was an 11-year-old boy who had just seen Star Wars at the cinema. But it's clear that he hasn't developed it much since then, because, in the intervening 46 years, all he's come up with is a single question: "What if Star Wars was crossed with Kurosawa's Seven Samurai?" There is nothing to Rebel Moon beyond that.

I’m fully sold on concept