Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Is this in the client or the website?

I guess you might have messed up the «enter your age» thing once which I think sets a permanent cookie if you’re too young. So try deleting your Steam store cookies in the browser and see if that works there.

Not sure how to do it in the client, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Mystery Keys!!! if you don't read the spoilers

A Short Hike
EAYZF-KIC62-P20AA

Aces & Adventures
6NC28-QVIQA-GT482

Battlestar Galactica: Deadlock
30B9V-KW4Q2-IC77X

Cook, Serve, Delicious! 3?!
F372D-3B3AY-FP7XD

EARTHLOCK
29H4D-BGNHP-LG5QD

Lacuna
BTXM2-B5578-2PH0T

Monster Prom
K2IHY-25T6W-R2L39

Rusty Lake: Hotel
X47CK-YCBDL-5HMHV

Silicon Zeroes
I7QXT-L4KQP-NFJLX

Slice of Sea
Y7VE0-L6NBZ-AEQVF

Superhot
4YE8C-PHA3K-XILBH

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

please do not gently caress the slimes

Buddy,

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

explosivo posted:

A friend sent me an invite for the skull and bones beta and I figured what the hell let's try it. I had zero expectations but even still they hosed up with this one. They managed to make a pirate game where sailing the boat and shooting cannons at other boats and sinking boats feels like dogshit garbage. You can turn on a dime and the cannons are like rocket launchers on a cooldown. At some point someone must have pounded a fist on a table and said "esports this game up about 75% goddamnit" and this iteration of this game congealed into existence. AC4 boats this ain't, unfortunately.

lol I looked it up and ship boarding is just a cutscene. Hell, not even that, since they don't even show any boarding — it just fades to black and then shows your crew opening a treasure chest they presumably stole. It's almost entirely an arcadey ship combat game. This is going to be The Day Before levels of people finding out a game is nothing like what they wanted.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

fez_machine posted:

Silicon Zeroes
I7QXT-L4KQP-NFJLX

I snagged this one. Thank you.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

fez_machine posted:

Slice of Sea
Y7VE0-L6NBZ-AEQVF

Thank you, this looks awesome! :glomp:

e: I don't have many spare keys around anymore but here are 2 good games:

*aba is you - 9T*TV-X3MCE-EAXIF

dorfromanti* - YW4PN-ZI435-35CF*

flesh dance fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Dec 15, 2023

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

fez_machine posted:

Superhot
4YE8C-PHA3K-XILBH

Wanted to try this for awhile, thanks!

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

flesh dance posted:

dorfromanti* - YW4PN-ZI435-35CF*
Snagged this, thanks, nearly bought it last sale!

I'll put forth a few old keys as well, just keeping this rolling.

Tangle*eep - R70M5-6E8X3-0VW*4

Tit*n Souls - TVZJ8-Q*VZ4-7T28W

Son*c Generations - 3ZKT*-JR98M-P7AHM

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

Hogama posted:

Thank you for Sonic!

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Hogama posted:

Thank you for Titan Souls!

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

fez_machine posted:

Aces & Adventures
6NC28-QVIQA-GT482

Thanks for this!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

This is what I tried, it straight up didn't work.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Well, I just played a few hours of Skulls and Bones and do not see the complaint about ship handling. To me it feels identical to how it was in Odyssey, never did play Black Flag, but the combat is different. I kind of like it! But it's a weird game and it shows that it's been in limbo for ages.

It's kind of like an MMO sailing RPG now? There are tons of people around in the hub town and you often find people attacking ports and fighting PVE in the open sea and stuff. It seems there is no PVP outside of events, but I heard some testers say there have been PVP-enabled servers. There is a main quest line/tutorial but you can also just gently caress around sailing and attacking NPC ships, gathering materials, or buying goods at different locations to sell at others. Ships have MMO-style classes with each hull having a special ability, some reasonable like extra ramming damage, and some goofy ones like an ability that heals friendly ships. You can party up and do bounties, gently caress up towns/fleets for loot or fight a boss (although I haven't seen any yet). There seems to be a fair amount of exploration too, as well as unmarked secrets; Using a cannon to blow up some interactable in the tutorial gave me a unique cosmetic, for example.

Sailing is pretty much what it was in Odyssey. Ships are clunky, the wind direction is a constant factor and the faster you go, the harder it is to turn around. It seems different ships can choose to raise the sails more/less to go at different speeds and just like in Odyssey there is a "sprint" that pushes the ship a few knots faster at the expense of crew stamina. It seems to last a lot and regenerates quickly but I imagine there's a lot to influence that. Your ship gets messed up and there are consumable/craftable items that you can use to repair or you can pay some silver at port to fix things right up. If you die, you lose your cargo and have to sail back and get it but it vanishes if you die again :v:

Ship customization is very interesting. Each ship type has a different layout that decides where you can position weapons and how many. There are a lot of weapon types, from far/close/mid-range cannons to mortars, torpedoes, greek fire, and ballistae which act kind of like bows and deal more damage the longer you "charge" a shot. On top of that, you can also equip different types of hull armor that have defenses against different types of damage as well as "furniture" which gives more unique bonuses and helps you specialize. The ship you get by playing the plot, for example, specializes in ramming and you get some furniture that makes it so you get a bonus to speed (or something like that) when you are trying to ram.

Combat is kind of cool but tough. I thought it was going to be bad based on the prologue's ship and how it fires cannons one by one but then my actual ship got dual cannons so I dunno what's up with that. The big mechanic about combat is location damage. Different ships have different bits marked in red when you are aiming and if you manage to hit those, which ain't easy, you trigger different things. Some ships have powder storages that explode, some give more loot if you destroy their nets, you can destroy masts and immobile ships for a good amount of time too, etc... There are status effects too, things like flooding and fire which seem different flavors of damage over time but I imagine have other effects. It reminds me a bit of World of Warships except at very close ranges. Boarding is a mechanic as well and relies on you sorta accurately firing the boarding hooks at weakened ships but there is no melee combat at all, boarding is purely for extra and sometimes unique loot.

And of course, there are a ton of ways to spruce up your ship and your pirate. Colors, patterns, symbols, decorative bits, ship pets, outfits for the pirate you create AND the crew, among others. I imagine there's gonna be a lot of DLC cosmetic stuff. You can name your ships as well and you can store several in case you want to switch things up.

I think it's good! I'm not going to say great because a lot of it does seem in the vein of a huge open world with a billion fetch quests but it was a pleasant surprise despite being unrecognizable from what they announced 10 years ago. My big question is if they are going "game as a service" or how are they going to support the game long-term because it seems like it requires at least a somewhat active playerbase for the big events and whatnot.

Det_no fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Dec 15, 2023

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

MMO but you are a boat.

That's so dumb it wraps back around to being amazing, I love it. Is there any way to paint the boats or give them hats?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Gonna give it a try later this weekend myself. I sure am hoping against hope that it'll turn out to be good, because lord knows there are few enough boat games around as it is. My main complaint in the earlier stages of alpha/beta was that the amount of enemy ships was downright inflationary. You'd end up a dozen of them scurrying around a fairly small area, and fighting/boarding one of them could be done in like a minute. Compare that with e.g. Sea of Thieves, where each encounter with another ship is a big deal and handling it is a major event. I hope that's something that changes around a bit as the game develops and/or you end up in different areas.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

Slime Rauncher

Slam Rancher

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Clearly there's a market for Tentacle Rancher. Anyone here with drawing skills and someone else with coding skills? I call dibs on CEO.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Subjunctive posted:

What’s the backstory there? My Creative Assembly lore knowledge is scant.

they're really bad at making games and greedy as hell but there are no alternatives to what they provide so the fans gotta keep suckin on a tailpipe full of copium

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Foul Fowl posted:

they're really bad at making games and greedy as hell but there are no alternatives to what they provide so the fans gotta keep suckin on a tailpipe full of copium

This sounds really bitter/over-the-top, but honestly it's pretty accurate in terms of their business model.

I innocently bought Total Warhammer from them and eventually had to walk away from the product/franchise since it was getting rather silly, as I didn't want to drop several hundred dollars just to get the latest patch. Meanwhile, nobody in the TWW thread saw anything wrong with a $500+ game. Whales, all of 'em.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I got all three games and a couple of DLC packs over the years for the price of a full-price game by using isthereanydeal. That's not a defense of their business practices, but if you're fine with not having all the DLC (and that's totally OK), you can get still get in on the fun

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i mean it sounds over the top but the number of errors and level of incompetence in these games is really staggering.

iirc the third game was developed by a separate team from the one that fixed and worked on the second game for a hundred years. they didn't use any of their work when making the third game so it was full of bugs and errors that had already been fixed years ago in the second one. there were lots of new bugs, like their big new thing was settlement battles but the pathfinding didn't work so all your guys would just clump up in a big moshpit when trying to fight.

they changed the grand campaign to be about the chaos realms invading the mortal world, and the overall campaign objective being to invade them back, but no one stopped to think that maybe disconnecting the victory goal from the entire premise of the game, which is fighting people to take their land and their poo poo and then trying to hold on to it, was a bad idea. i spent the last 25 turns of my first and only TW3 campaign hitting end turn while waiting for the invasion cooldown and letting my empire crumble because it didn't matter at all as long as i had one strong army.

the second game was plagued by minutes-long loading times for years until one of the devs had a look at the code on their spare time and realised it was easily fixable. there was an unintended anti-player bias in the AI for like ten patches until one of their poor community managers said on discord that someone had like, actually looked at the code.

i stopped paying attention a few years ago and apparently it got worse since then with every new patch introducing new bugs. the DLCs got smaller and more expensive. there were comical levels of mismanagement, with like an announcement that the roadmap for fixing the full-priced game would be announced at some point in the future.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Foul Fowl posted:

Wait, are you talking about Creative Assembly or Games Workshop?

But yeah, I'm glad people are finally starting to be willing to admit that CA has always been a really awful company.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Serephina posted:

I innocently bought Total Warhammer from them and eventually had to walk away from the product/franchise since it was getting rather silly, as I didn't want to drop several hundred dollars just to get the latest patch. Meanwhile, nobody in the TWW thread saw anything wrong with a $500+ game. Whales, all of 'em.

Oh, so it's a Europa Universalis IV situation? I'm actively waiting for Paradox to stop developing that game so the dust can finally settle and I can figure out which of the five billion new mechanics/DLC are actually worth learning/buying

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Phlegmish posted:

Oh, so it's a Europa Universalis IV situation? I'm actively waiting for Paradox to stop developing that game so the dust can finally settle and I can figure out which of the five billion new mechanics/DLC are actually worth learning/buying
It's not quite that bad. The DLC factions are integrated in the game and their new mechanics work even if you don't have the DLC, you just can't play as them.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Flair posted:

Thank you for Titan Souls!

Oh! I was wondering why I couldn't get Tits 'n Souls to activate.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Serephina posted:

This sounds really bitter/over-the-top, but honestly it's pretty accurate in terms of their business model.

Phlegmish posted:

Patches are free, only the actual new units and lords that come with each DLC are paid (and they still show up for you on the game world, you just can't play as them/recruit them). Reworks, new mechanics, etc. are all fully free.

Foul Fowl posted:

i mean it sounds over the top but the number of errors and level of incompetence in these games is really staggering.

iirc the third game was developed by a separate team from the one that fixed and worked on the second game for a hundred years. they didn't use any of their work when making the third game so it was full of bugs and errors that had already been fixed years ago in the second one. there were lots of new bugs, like their big new thing was settlement battles but the pathfinding didn't work so all your guys would just clump up in a big moshpit when trying to fight.

they changed the grand campaign to be about the chaos realms invading the mortal world, and the overall campaign objective being to invade them back, but no one stopped to think that maybe disconnecting the victory goal from the entire premise of the game, which is fighting people to take their land and their poo poo and then trying to hold on to it, was a bad idea. i spent the last 25 turns of my first and only TW3 campaign hitting end turn while waiting for the invasion cooldown and letting my empire crumble because it didn't matter at all as long as i had one strong army.

the second game was plagued by minutes-long loading times for years until one of the devs had a look at the code on their spare time and realised it was easily fixable. there was an unintended anti-player bias in the AI for like ten patches until one of their poor community managers said on discord that someone had like, actually looked at the code.

i stopped paying attention a few years ago and apparently it got worse since then with every new patch introducing new bugs. the DLCs got smaller and more expensive. there were comical levels of mismanagement, with like an announcement that the roadmap for fixing the full-priced game would be announced at some point in the future.

Agreed with pretty much everything here tbh

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Azran posted:

Patches are free, only the actual new units and lords that come with each DLC are paid (and they still show up for you on the game world, you just can't play as them/recruit them). Reworks, new mechanics, etc. are all fully free.

Technically, yes! As long as you're ok with the TWW1 factions being 'done' with the last patch to the first game, all those years ago. If you're like me, and wondering how much money it would take to get that balance patch that gave silver shields to dwarf warriors... well, it's gonna involve buying a lot of products. Like, TWW2, then TWW3, so you can play the old world map as dawi. But that's fair, right? TWW1 was a fully complete product after all, and it's just a complete coincidence that new features and QoL stuff instantly stopped when TWW2 hit. Asking for patches to be backported is just greedy!

Basically, it's a rolling-release type of software, except you're required to do a full buy-in several times as it gets updated over the years. And in addition to me being facetious above, it's not even implied that the older games are independent, standalone products; they're very explicitly DLC addons to the later games.

-----

So yea, Paradox and CA might be doing it differently in the small details, but it's the same thrust at heart, trying to find ways to get their player base to buy-in to the same product over and over.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Is ASTLIBRA Revision really as good as the reviews make it out to be?

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Yes. It looks ugly as hell but yes.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Fruits of the sea posted:

MMO but you are a boat.

That's so dumb it wraps back around to being amazing, I love it. Is there any way to paint the boats or give them hats?

How soon everyone forgets PotBS

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Fruits of the sea posted:

MMO but you are a boat.

where can I buy emotes for my e-boats

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

Haha I'm in the same boat with that game. Looks super interesting but I don't want to play a partial game and I'm not invested enough to pay nearly full price for all that DLC.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

MarcusSA posted:

Excellent! I really loved it. Towards the end it got slightly long and grindy so I just started using Cheat Engine to up my stats a bit and make things go faster, but overall an excellent experience throughout 40ish hours iirc. The combat especially feels very fun and chunky, where every attack feels like it does a million damage.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

HopperUK posted:

House Flipper 2 good. Looks great. New trash handling tools are much better. Hooray.

With interest rates heading down, maybe we will be on the other end of this game soon(again).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

It is a genuinely good game with an insane amount of content. Pretty much the only criticism I can level at it is that it gets pretty goddamn horny at seemingly random and often inappropriate times.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.
Going to wait to get Skull&Bones Reboat edition through Humble Choice next summer.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Gorilla Radio posted:

Going to wait to get Skull&Bones Reboat edition through Humble Choice next summer.

I feel like that game will be on massive discount sales pretty quick, even maybe free things playstation+ or gamepass. Where it might be a fun good looking game for the lower price. The game would have been cancelled a long time ago but Ubisoft took grant money from Singapore's government so they have to release something to fulfill the agreement.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Ubisoft is basically the only place that would stick around and fix up a game as poorly received as Skull and Bones might be instead of shuttering it in six months but man. It was announced a decade ago, maybe at some point it’s just not gonna work out.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Was there any change to the button mashing sections in Dave the Diver?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

Was there any change to the button mashing sections in Dave the Diver?

Yes, they added an option to just hold the button instead. It absolutely makes the game more fun to play.