Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I can never get into most cRPGs because they're in a fantasy setting and fantasy just doesn't grab me but as a 40k fan I'm definitely in on this real hard.

Also god drat you guys Arch-Militant Argenta with heavy weapons is :discourse: Just did the side mission where a Black Ship falls to Nurgle and you get rushed by a horde of Poxwalkers and she was consistently getting four or five attacks a turn due to how all of the perks and abilities from Soldier and Arch-Militant synergized. Avitus would be proud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Just a heads up for folks, store inventories expand a bunch in Act IV as do colony build options. A plasma I got early during an event in Act IV has loving 30-40 listed damage :eyepop:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I just selected a bunch of upgrades after going to chapter 4 and for some reason I got -12 profit factor due to "a shortage of resources: people"

I have a ton of dudes left, after the upgrades I've still got like 30.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Eifert Posting posted:

I just selected a bunch of upgrades after going to chapter 4 and for some reason I got -12 profit factor due to "a shortage of resources: people"

I have a ton of dudes left, after the upgrades I've still got like 30.

On the bright side these upgrades I got are sending me like 18K Navy reputation and I already was in the teens.

(Quote: not edit)

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

cuntman.net posted:

looked these up and i found a reddit thread about the first one from 6 months ago lol. dont hold your breath for these ones folks

No Rigorous Training works after all it just...doesn't the first few times you would trigger it for some reason

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I like coming back to a skill or ability I initially discounted as useless and seeing something. The grand strategist's blitz strategem is fun for letting everyone travel huge distances, by dropping a zone on the far side of the arena and targeting it. Or leaving cover to go perform an AOE from the best spot, and boomeranging back to cover for 0ap.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Arglebargle III posted:

Warp damage is just a special kind of damage that ignores non-magic defenses.

Can anyone explain how Notch of Purpose is supposed to be good?

You can make enemies move to a spot, moving does damage to them sometimes enough that they explode which means any extra damage goes to the nearest enemy, they move out of cover to a spot you choose it's hilarious

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Relevant Tangent posted:

You can make enemies move to a spot, moving does damage to them sometimes enough that they explode which means any extra damage goes to the nearest enemy, they move out of cover to a spot you choose it's hilarious

It also triggers attacks of opportunity if they wander past (or are pulled away from) one of your melee-equipped party members!

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Melee is fine I guess, if you're not running all BS like the God Emperor intended. Killing a veteran of the Long War with a bunch of bolter fire and navigator powers is great.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Prism posted:

It also triggers attacks of opportunity if they wander past (or are pulled away from) one of your melee-equipped party members!

And then the melee person can Charge them for another free attack.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I've reached act 4, and have finally hit the Owlcat 'road construction stopped here' bugs. In no particular order

Audio cut out in the transitional cutscene
A particular dialogue choice with Heinrix ends the conversation prematurely
The follow-up conversation spawns you in the wrong place and leaves out a whole section of dialogue, and also feels completely abrupt
Entering the captain's quarters after these conversations means you can't get out

And that's leaving out the jank of some of the act 3 setpieces. I'm well aware of Owlcat Jank from Kingmaker and Wrath, but Baldur's Gate 3 also had similar problems, just to a lesser degree. And I'd stake a fair bit of money on the fact that both games kept their final acts in house instead of releasing them to beta/early access folks is the whole cause. Because in both cases, the wheels fall off precisely where early access/beta ended. Once is a glitch, twice (and with a big name like Larian to boot) is a trend.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I think part of it, in both cases, is that for the large majority of the playerbase it will still be a long time before they hit the point where the beta ended. Right now only 1.1% of players have completed Chapter 3, and 2.4% have completed Chapter 2. They have plenty of time to fix Act 4/5 before most people get there, it's just us nerds dealing with the bugs right now :v:

Kosume Shezaki
Feb 23, 2006

Warmachine posted:

I've reached act 4, and have finally hit the Owlcat 'road construction stopped here' bugs. In no particular order

Audio cut out in the transitional cutscene
A particular dialogue choice with Heinrix ends the conversation prematurely
The follow-up conversation spawns you in the wrong place and leaves out a whole section of dialogue, and also feels completely abrupt
Entering the captain's quarters after these conversations means you can't get out

And that's leaving out the jank of some of the act 3 setpieces. I'm well aware of Owlcat Jank from Kingmaker and Wrath, but Baldur's Gate 3 also had similar problems, just to a lesser degree. And I'd stake a fair bit of money on the fact that both games kept their final acts in house instead of releasing them to beta/early access folks is the whole cause. Because in both cases, the wheels fall off precisely where early access/beta ended. Once is a glitch, twice (and with a big name like Larian to boot) is a trend.

I've defintely become of the opinion that if you're doing any open testing then test it all. Shove as much placeholder text and models as the game can handle, but getting from a-z has been a repeated issue and their internal tools aren't addressing it as much as they'd hoped.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They messed with a ton of item stats in the patch it looks like.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Arglebargle III posted:

Can anyone explain how Notch of Purpose is supposed to be good?

Anything that forces your enemy to move can be used to cluster them together and make your AOE/cleave abilities that much more effective. Plus the aforementioned opportunity attacks/cover extraction can be excellent

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

I think part of it, in both cases, is that for the large majority of the playerbase it will still be a long time before they hit the point where the beta ended. Right now only 1.1% of players have completed Chapter 3, and 2.4% have completed Chapter 2. They have plenty of time to fix Act 4/5 before most people get there, it's just us nerds dealing with the bugs right now :v:

Nah, this doesn't fly. BG3 was in early access for several years. Rogue Trader in beta for months. Unless there's some statistical anomalies the likes of which even the Warp itself couldn't produce, that's plenty of time for the kinds of folks who throw their money at beta access to delve deep. Depending on how many units actually move, 1.1% of players could easily be larger than a full time QA team worth of staff. And considering how easy they made it to report a bug (it's on a key combination! And you can point your cursor at the thing that's broke! Pretty slick IMO), they'd have absolutely gotten plenty of feedback.

My assumption is that they either didn't want to expose unfinished work to the public (begging the question of why it was unfinished so late into the development cycle) or they didn't want to spoil the public before launch (which is a buyer-beware problem; if you don't want to experience the story before it's 100% baked, don't volunteer for the beta/early access).

It just doesn't sit right, and I think it's a bit personal to me because I see this kind of thing in my own job...

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Act 1 down.

They really cleaned up the spaceport from the Beta. Before it was 4-5 trash mob fights, now it's just an ambush with snipers and a minefield, and one large battle with some chaos spawns.

The finale fight is also strongly discouraging of blind experimenting with the character creation/leveling as a game strategy. The trash mobs are what you expect, but between the Chaos Space Marine with his 364HP and the sniper able to do 30-40 damage (so one shot kill) a particularly bad turn is basically a total wipe. I was lucky I found that 2h plasma rifle in the sort of hidden loot spot because Pasqual was able to do significant damage at the end when he was the only one left.

Argenta did a ton of 2 damage rapid fire bursts even with revel in slaughter so pretty much useless against the Marine. Abelard and his trusty chain sword did ~8 damage a hit so I had to use heroic moments for some appreciable damage. My RT warrior was able to stack Sure Fire Plan, reckless strike, and sworn enemy to really do some damage but went down before I could get a heroic moment. Heinrix died before even getting a turn and Cassia stayed in the back using Voice of Command and Bring it Down between trying to see if Navigator powers worked. Her eye wasn't an option because the rest of my party was constantly in the firing cone.

I tried every method of party de/buffing I had available, Cassia & Pasqal w/ exploits, and it didn't seem to make any difference. Joint Analysis didn't cause any noticeable damage increase and expose weakness barely made a dent. This last section of Act 1 Cassia's powers started becoming much less effective. Everyone was passing willpower tests for Touch of Anger when that was a go to ability before.

There's definitely a trend for Owlcat to build up this freedom of choice and character building with this massive tool box of options, but then as you progress you realize that maybe 1/3 of the tools are truly effective and the rest will fall off too hard to be useful or require system mastery implementation knowing both the game itemization and any 'hidden' info. I've probably built all my party members less then optimal, I find myself tending towards homeworld and origin talents rather then weapon proficiency or archetype talents I don't quite get the point of. Cassia only has 2 officer abilities, Voice and Bring It Down, and I'm really noticing the lack of options when its her turn.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

My new favorite class is Warrior/Assassin, paired with an Officer/MasterTactician who has the In The Hero's Footsteps talent you can often end a battle on the first turn by having the officer spend their starting turn on casting Bring It Down on the Assassin, one-shotting a few enemies with the Assassin and getting full momentum, using the Warrior Heroic to get a free turn with multiple attacks and movement between them, then using the Officer's free turn that they get from ITHF to cast Bring It Down on the assassin again, getting full momentum on the free turn this gives to the Assassin, then using the Officer's Finest Hour to give the Assassin yet another free turn, which gives the Officer another free turn (from ITHF) that they can use to cast Bring It Down on the Assassin again.

Your assassin gets 5+ full turns with tons of mobility and multiple attacks per turn before anyone else gets the chance to act.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Dec 15, 2023

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

If it was easy to make bug free giant complicated crpgs then at least one company would have managed to do it over the last three decades. Just how it goes with these sorts of games :shrug:

On the neo seeker guides if it’s the same dude keep in mind his Pathfinder guides were built around playing in a fairly tedious way. If you wanted to be more lazy they could be suboptimal for it. Though this game doesn’t have infinite pre combat buffing so the difference might not be so massive here.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I think it broke. I'm in Act 2, just finished the third planet (did Janus, Dargonus, factory planet). I left after the vision (Heinrix told me we weren't done, but I explored the entire map, got the data vault, did the cursed cogitator thing; only way I could progress was to tell him to gently caress off), and now nothing is happening. No main quest, no coronation. Is there somewhere I have to go? Did the quest triggers break? Wtf do I do.

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance
Regarding Heinrich at the start of (I think) chapter 2:

did I lose him by not offering him a spot on the team when he was all gung ho to rejoin his boss? I don't have the option of taking him to Footfall with me.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Eifert Posting posted:

Someone upthread said it best: In 40k, having lack of people being a problem makes as much sense as Paul Muad'Dib plans being stopped by a lack of sand.

deep dish peat moss posted:

I have an achievement for visiting every planet in the Expanse in act 1, like 65% of the players. I wouldn't trust achievements.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

boneration posted:

Regarding Heinrich at the start of (I think) chapter 2:

did I lose him by not offering him a spot on the team when he was all gung ho to rejoin his boss? I don't have the option of taking him to Footfall with me.

Nah, he comes back very soon. Once you finish your business on Footfall, he'll be waiting at your shuttle

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

Someone upthread said it best: In 40k, having lack of people being a problem makes as much sense as Paul Muad'Dib plans being stopped by a lack of sand.

the person youre responding to is the one who said that :v:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

cuntman.net posted:

the person youre responding to is the one who said that :v:

I hope they get a warm feeling because some rando on the internet had a sensible chuckle reading their posts. :)

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I think it broke. I'm in Act 2, just finished the third planet (did Janus, Dargonus, factory planet). I left after the vision (Heinrix told me we weren't done, but I explored the entire map, got the data vault, did the cursed cogitator thing; only way I could progress was to tell him to gently caress off), and now nothing is happening. No main quest, no coronation. Is there somewhere I have to go? Did the quest triggers break? Wtf do I do.

I mean, what's your quest log say? Keep in mind Heinrix's thing is a side thing, the actual objective is killing the big mech guy and his pals, behind the CSM. If you did all that then idk.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
I neglected to check out that random ship in the corner of the star system in act 1 not realizing some Aeldari were gonna steal the whole drat sun. Did I miss anything good?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

emSparkly posted:

I neglected to check out that random ship in the corner of the star system in act 1 not realizing some Aeldari were gonna steal the whole drat sun. Did I miss anything good?

It was a merchant ship affiliated with a pirate faction, that you could either trade with or attack. You meet the same pirate faction again in Act 2 and can trade with them there, so I'm assuming you didn't miss anything.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Hate that I had to google to find out Cassia is straight because that first set of ship conversations really misled me on that detail.

Kinda disappointed. She had real “I can fix her.” Energy. And by fix her I mean turn her to the wonderful liberating path of chaos worship.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Infinity Gaia posted:

I mean, what's your quest log say? Keep in mind Heinrix's thing is a side thing, the actual objective is killing the big mech guy and his pals, behind the CSM. If you did all that then idk.

Yeah, did all that. The "recover what was lost" quest or whatever completed. Just totally broke and I have no clue why or how to remedy it/ what save to load lmao

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Warmachine posted:

Nah, this doesn't fly. BG3 was in early access for several years. Rogue Trader in beta for months. Unless there's some statistical anomalies the likes of which even the Warp itself couldn't produce, that's plenty of time for the kinds of folks who throw their money at beta access to delve deep.

Dude, you said it yourself. BG3 was in beta for *years* on end. Longer than RT's entire developpment cycle, even. It had become a running joke, even. Getting feedback the whole time (not a ton of it helpful I'm sure, but...)
That it came out more balanced or polished is no surprise - and even then it notoriously didn't ! It's still broke as gently caress in parts (and missing half the titular city still).

emSparkly posted:

Hate that I had to google to find out Cassia is straight because that first set of ship conversations really misled me on that detail.p.

It's the shoulders line, wasn't it ?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The Wrath-Badger is the most fearsome creature on Fenris, it seems.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Oh Assassin Yrliet is way better than Bounty Hunter, I was wrong big time.

If you get the Eye of Hecaton rifle for her and give her the officers ult she can run all over the place killing everything with killing edge attack boosted shots. Almost as good as argenta.

I think bounty hunters big problem is everything being tied to your marked hunts which aren't an unlimited resource, you only get 3, and it takes 3 turns to replenish 1 of them, compared to say militant which gets its resource from just using different kinds of attacks each turn. It's totally possible to waste those hunts too and you have to take multiple talents to mitigate that.

Assassin meanwhile gets (on my char right now) 12 percent damage bonus for every weak spot hit cumulative, does an extra damage for every 10 damage they do, and then increases their assassin stat by 10 if they do 5 of those extra damage, so any 50 damage shot. It's a lot of cumulative bonuses that require way less work.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Dec 15, 2023

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I think the big problem with Bounty Hunter is that Cull the Bold is their big damage skill and it's broken and doesn't do anything.

I mean, they have other problems but that's the most noticeable to me.

Sharkopath posted:

Assassin meanwhile gets (on my char right now) 12 damage bonus for every weak spot hit cumulative, does an extra damage for every 10 damage they do, and then increases their assassin stat by 10 if they do 5 of those extra damage, so any 50 damage shot. It's a lot of cumulative bonuses that require way less work.

My Assassin Yrliet does 400+ damage crits, and that's before got her new better gun. And of course she gets AP back for every shot so with the Officer ult she can literally kill the entire map in one turn.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Dec 15, 2023

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Kobal2 posted:

and even then it notoriously didn't ! It's still broke as gently caress in parts (and missing half the titular city still).

BG3 is nowhere near as broken as Rogue Trader even by a generous interpretation.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Fat Samurai posted:

Yeah, but transport is an absolute bitch

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Aramoro posted:

BG3 is nowhere near as broken as Rogue Trader even by a generous interpretation.

uhh... maybe now but BG3 was pretty bad on release. It sounds like there are more issues deeper in Rogue Trader but I was running into way more buggy poo poo in BG3's act one then I ever did in 40k's.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Snooze Cruise posted:

uhh... maybe now but BG3 was pretty bad on release. It sounds like there are more issues deeper in Rogue Trader but I was running into way more buggy poo poo in BG3's act one then I ever did in 40k's.

I literally had one graphical bug and nothing else in my two playthroughs of BG3, and I played on release. Anecdotes are not data.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
I'm at the start of Chapter 2 and I'm wondering if you lose companions on a Dogmatic run?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I literally had one graphical bug and nothing else in my two playthroughs of BG3, and I played on release. Anecdotes are not data.

OK nerd, how about you join the Adeptus Mechanicus if you love data so much!