Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Nitrousoxide posted:

Oops, I did an apt purge command to my bare metal server and didn't look at what it was gonna get rid of really carefully. Now it's for sure gonna stop working after the next boot because it got rid of systemd and a bunch of other critical components. DNS isn't even working on it anymore so I can't even try to reinstall it mid flight. Luckily my docker containers still have the dns settings from when they were spun up my home lab services haven't died yet, though as soon as the system reboots it's donezo.

I do have an image backup of the server from a couple of months ago. And I have the daily backups of my containers therein so nothing's gone regardless. I guess now's a good time to switch over to a virtualized install in proxmox rather than a recreation of the bare metal one. It'll make recovering from catastrophic fuckups like that easier with automatic snapshot backups that I can cart off site.

You can do something like this https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/236711

Or try just reinstalling your root server package, desktop would be something like "apt-get install ubuntu-desktop", I forget what server is, I think tasksel is still bundled you can use it to list it or reinstall, https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Tasksel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
edit: poo poo this ain't the NAS thread.

H2SO4 fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 11, 2023

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Mr. Crow posted:

You can do something like this https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/236711

Or try just reinstalling your root server package, desktop would be something like "apt-get install ubuntu-desktop", I forget what server is, I think tasksel is still bundled you can use it to list it or reinstall, https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Tasksel

It was alright, I had backups of all my services hosted on that server, so I just deployed a vm of the OS again and redeployed them via docker again. Aside from the actual transfer of the backup data which took... uh like 12 hours for 150gb, it only took like an hour or two of hands-on time to get it running again, probably less than I would have spent trying to fix the original install.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is there a such thing as a packaged group of VMs? Like if I wanted to archive or distribute a production environment that included workstation VMs but also server VMs and maybe different flavors of each. Can they be bundled and also initiated as a group?

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Shaocaholica posted:

Is there a such thing as a packaged group of VMs? Like if I wanted to archive or distribute a production environment that included workstation VMs but also server VMs and maybe different flavors of each. Can they be bundled and also initiated as a group?

VMware vSphere has a construct called vApp which might fit your needs. https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/com.vmware.vsphere.vm_admin.doc/GUID-E6E9D2A9-D358-4996-9BC7-F8D9D9645290.html

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Shaocaholica posted:

On vmware you can pack multiple vms as a vapp.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Ok, I'm trying to get a windows virtual machine working in kvm/libvirt/qemu/et al with full gpu passthrough of the dedicated quadro on my thinkpad p53 (on ubuntu). I've got everything needed in initramfs and grub.cfg to enable and pass the card/other things in the iommu group (intel_iommu=on in grub, and blacklisting/passing the devices to vfio in a modprobe conf, regening the initramfs and grub. As far as i can tell from checking lspci they got passed successfully. The thing is, I can usually only run the vm once, sometimes twice per boot before the vm just fails to start (nothing happens immediately after clicking on the play button in virt manager and usually the entire laptop freezes and I have to hard reset. Very occasionally I got an error message after about a minute, but I don't remember what it says. Is there any easy way I can check to see what if anything I am missing with the vfio setup?

I forgot I was able to capture dmesg as this was happening, possibly and this is at the very end of the log:

quote:

[Nov24 11:06] No Local Variables are initialized for Method [NVPO]

[ +0.000004] No Arguments are initialized for method [NVPO]

[ +0.000003] ACPI Error: Aborting method \_SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP.NVPO due to previous error (AE_AML_LOOP_TIMEOUT) (20230331/psparse-529)
[ +0.000014] ACPI Error: Aborting method \_SB.PCI0.PGON due to previous error (AE_AML_LOOP_TIMEOUT) (20230331/psparse-529)
[ +0.000010] ACPI Error: Aborting method \_SB.PCI0.PEG0.PG00._ON due to previous error (AE_AML_LOOP_TIMEOUT) (20230331/psparse-529)
[ +2.756119] vfio-pci 0000:01:00.0: not ready 1023ms after resume; waiting
[ +1.088016] vfio-pci 0000:01:00.0: not ready 2047ms after resume; waiting
[ +2.080021] vfio-pci 0000:01:00.0: not ready 4095ms after resume; waiting
[ +4.352029] vfio-pci 0000:01:00.0: not ready 8191ms after resume; waiting
[ +8.448064] vfio-pci 0000:01:00.0: not ready 16383ms after resume; waiting
[ +17.668097] vfio-pci 0000:01:00.0: not ready 32767ms after resume; waiting

One other thing is that since the card is, of course, a mobile version the nvidia drivers apparently look for a battery. Someone found a solution by passing this SSDT acpi table to the vm, but I'm having problems getting it to work. I keep getting a permission denied error no matter if i run virt-manager as root or give the file itself full permissions/owned by my user name:kvm, libvirtd-qemu:kvm, root:root.

Someone who had the problem too got it to work by adding an exception to a apparmor config file, but I've tried a couple different files that I've seen mentioned and nothing's fixed it.

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

Depending on the GPU model, it may have trouble being released after the corresponding VM is shut down. I had this problem on some older quadros - the passthrough would work once, but after shutting down the VM the host system would have to be rebooted to allow the VM to be booted again.

Unfortunately I didn't find a fix for it, it seemed to be a fundamental problem with the GPU hardware. What GPU model are you passing through?

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Ok, I'm trying to get a windows virtual machine working in kvm/libvirt/qemu/et al with full gpu passthrough of the dedicated quadro on my thinkpad p53 (on ubuntu). I've got everything needed in initramfs and grub.cfg to enable and pass the card/other things in the iommu group (intel_iommu=on in grub, and blacklisting/passing the devices to vfio in a modprobe conf, regening the initramfs and grub. As far as i can tell from checking lspci they got passed successfully. The thing is, I can usually only run the vm once, sometimes twice per boot before the vm just fails to start (nothing happens immediately after clicking on the play button in virt manager and usually the entire laptop freezes and I have to hard reset. Very occasionally I got an error message after about a minute, but I don't remember what it says. Is there any easy way I can check to see what if anything I am missing with the vfio setup?

I used to get hard freezes on my host when shutting down a Windows VM under KVM et al when passing a consumer NVIDIA GPU via VFIO. I fixed those freezes by setting the card to MSI mode in the guest. This was many, many years ago though. Could still be worth checking out on your setup.

This is the best explanation of MSI mode that I know of: https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/windows-line-based-vs-message-signaled-based-interrupts-msi-tool.378044/ and it has a link to a tool that will switch your GPU to MSI mode if it can. Though this discussion is 10 years old at this point and one would hope that MSI mode is enabled by default on recent NVIDIA drivers.

No guarantee this is related to your issue though, especially since you don't seem to run into the issue at VM shutdown time.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
In case you guys missed the memo, Broadcom woke up and chose violence.

https://news.vmware.com/company/vmware-by-broadcom-business-transformation

You won’t be able to renew SnS on perpetual contract beyond the current duration and won’t be able to purchase new perpetual licenses. Conversion to subscription might also be the time VMware moves to cores instead of sockets but who knows.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

SlowBloke posted:

In case you guys missed the memo, Broadcom woke up and chose violence.

https://news.vmware.com/company/vmware-by-broadcom-business-transformation

You won’t be able to renew SnS on perpetual contract beyond the current duration and won’t be able to purchase new perpetual licenses. Conversion to subscription might also be the time VMware moves to cores instead of sockets but who knows.

Yeah they’re doing exactly what they said they’d do.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
I have been stuck with supporting old versions of VMware on a couple of occasions where the cost of new licencing was in the 6 figure range. I'm guessing a subscription model will make it easier to upgrade.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

VMware by Broadcom

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I guess I don't mind VMware licensing turning into a subscription that includes support because I never had the desire to run old versions or without support. The real problem is that they are trying to squeeze out 3x the profit. Financialization is bad, folks. Who knew?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I just wish they'd skip the BS and say "the old perpetual license structure failed to deliver the revenue required to please shareholders."

Edit:

Q: Why is this good for VMware customers?
A: It's not. We simply judge that you have no choice.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
It was considerably cheaper for us to do subscription based and assuming you actually pay for updates it would be over the lifetime, probably.

It also came with feature we previously weren't paying for which is nice.

So, right now, I would say yes it is better and a good thing.

That said I fully expect them to start making it a huge piece of poo poo and fractured subscription models after they get everyone over and locked in in a couple years.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Broadcom has hosed everything it touches, so I suspect this will be no different.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I just wish they'd skip the BS and say "the old perpetual license structure failed to deliver the revenue required to please shareholders."

Edit:

Because all we do is lie in this industry all of the time.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

in a well actually posted:

Yeah they’re doing exactly what they said they’d do.
It's not just what they said they'd do, it's what everyone else said they'd do before they said they'd do it.

Internet Explorer posted:

I guess I don't mind VMware licensing turning into a subscription that includes support because I never had the desire to run old versions or without support. The real problem is that they are trying to squeeze out 3x the profit. Financialization is bad, folks. Who knew?
New speedrun category: Become Oracle at any% cost!

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

It's not just what they said they'd do, it's what everyone else said they'd do before they said they'd do it.

New speedrun category: Become Oracle at any% cost!

IIRC when they made the offer public they were very explicit about their plans for cutting costs (staff) and increasing revenues (prices).

Oracle at least still puts effort into development on their various products like ExaData or their cloud platform; Broadcom is in classic enterprise resource extraction mode.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Broadcom has hosed everything it touches, so I suspect this will be no different.

They seem to get switch chips right, the rest? not so much...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Wibla posted:

They seem to get switch chips right, the rest? not so much...

Their chips are fine. Their acquisitions are not.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

I have worked at VMware for over 16 years. Broadcom quickly came out with with a return to office mandate and a new employment contract that is horrific. We had one of our most senior team members quit with 0 days notice, and a lot of people that are refusing to sign the new contract and are looking for a new job. So expect the virtualization quality to take a hit. Enjoy!

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Well theres always proxmox i guess :(

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mr. Crow posted:

XCP-NG is more Enterprise rated and has enterprise support.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

DevNull posted:

I have worked at VMware for over 16 years. Broadcom quickly came out with with a return to office mandate and a new employment contract that is horrific. We had one of our most senior team members quit with 0 days notice, and a lot of people that are refusing to sign the new contract and are looking for a new job. So expect the virtualization quality to take a hit. Enjoy!

Please god let me not find out that support actually could be worse.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Mr. Crow posted:

We are unironically looking into this and XCP-NG as alternatives...

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

The key is to just never contact support. Google your issues forever.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

We are now committed to a shift to Azure Stack HCI hyper-v, so gently caress these nerds.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

let me tell you about that time VMware support brought down our entire network

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'm still not sure how we haven't sued them yet

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

DevNull posted:

thanks for your work, especially on the flings that have made my life substantially easier

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Didn't the HTML5 console start off as a fling? Can't have that sort of initiative being freely taken any more I suppose.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
I have briefed multiple new customers planning to buy new mainframes specifically because it will be cheaper for them to port their linux junk to s390x and move to kvm than to stay in vmware with the expected pricing change

I wonder if that increases or decreases now that the change happened

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

fresh_cheese posted:

I have briefed multiple new customers planning to buy new mainframes specifically because it will be cheaper for them to port their linux junk to s390x and move to kvm than to stay in vmware with the expected pricing change

I wonder if that increases or decreases now that the change happened

:vince:

2024, the year of Linux on the mainframe.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Potato Salad posted:

thanks for your work, especially on the flings that have made my life substantially easier

Thanks. I actually worked on the VNC server/client fling that was release over 10 years ago. I think they pulled it from the site eventually since it wasn't getting updates. I left that team but still used that fling myself.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Relevant to the Broadcom buyout of VMware, they're already moving to transition everything to a subscription-based model and as part of that they're killing the perpetual license model for vSphere: https://www.thestack.technology/broadcom-is-killing-off-vmware-perpetual-licences-sns/.

Can't say I'm surprised, Broadcom only bought VMware to capture and exploit their revenue stream. As they've already demonstrated anything that can be considered a cost centre is on the chopping block. It's kind of similar to the corporate raiders in the 80s only instead of immediately liquidating they just bleed em dry.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Relevant to the Broadcom buyout of VMware, they're already moving to transition everything to a subscription-based model and as part of that they're killing the perpetual license model for vSphere: https://www.thestack.technology/broadcom-is-killing-off-vmware-perpetual-licences-sns/.

Yeah, that’s what started this conversation I think.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

DevNull posted:

Thanks. I actually worked on the VNC server/client fling that was release over 10 years ago. I think they pulled it from the site eventually since it wasn't getting updates. I left that team but still used that fling myself.

I remember you mentioning you worked with that team, well, many many years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Can't say I'm surprised, Broadcom only bought VMware to capture and exploit their revenue stream. As they've already demonstrated anything that can be considered a cost centre is on the chopping block. It's kind of similar to the corporate raiders in the 80s only instead of immediately liquidating they just bleed em dry.

I'm a little busy this morning, does this mention whether existing perpetual licenses are under the gun

I have expressly avoided moving those under our ELA so that we don't have to accept predatory new terms for those licenses