Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

FalconImpala posted:

I made a 99-cent-store Geralt of Rivia and he got wiped by bandits after falling through a hole in the floor :( Any reason not to rest after every fight? I know almost nothing about D&D and it's hard to tell how often I should be sleeping

Just short rest whenever you need and long rest when you’re out of spells/short rests. Long rests do advance time for certain quests though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

FalconImpala posted:

I made a 99-cent-store Geralt of Rivia and he got wiped by bandits after falling through a hole in the floor :( Any reason not to rest after every fight? I know almost nothing about D&D and it's hard to tell how often I should be sleeping

A good rule of thumb is to Short Rest after every encounter and Long Rest when you're out of short rests.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

There's only a very few things in this game on the kind of hard time limit that's affected by long resting, so you can generally long rest safely.

IMO, you should long rest much more than you think you need to. There's events and conversations that take place during long rests that you won't want to miss, and if you're only long resting when your health/spells/etc require it, you'll probably miss some of them. You can get these stacked up pretty deep, to the point where you'll have 5-6 of these sitting in the queue. So long rest often.

Personally, when I get an event during a long rest, I immediately do a 'partial rest' afterwards, which is a long rest without using supplies. If I get another event I do it again, and I repeat this until I stop getting events.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

BAFTA just released their longlist for the 2024 Game Award nominees. BG3 has 15 total nominations, just ahead of Alan Wake 2 with 14. I think this is the first time I've seen Samantha Beart as Karlach nominated for Best Performance alongside Neil Newbon and Amelia Tyler. A couple years ago they created a separate category for Best Supporting Performance and Raphael, Halsin and Jaheira's VAs are all nominated.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

Patch 5 is finally out for MacOS, so I guess I can actually start playing the game again.

Judging by all the angry Steam posts, they really underestimated how many people would be playing this on a Mac

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

"There is a poisonous lust that stains my mind, like blood spilling into a black pool"
"well nobody's perfect"

I wasn't really looking forward to gibbing Alfira but I had a pop at Kagha so the druids did it for me lol. whoopsydoodle

If the goblins consider this a dub they will find they are wildly mistaken

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I feel like I need a long rest after every difficult fight, but I also do like casting level 5 fireballs at the start of every rumble.

exquisite tea posted:

BAFTA just released their longlist for the 2024 Game Award nominees. BG3 has 15 total nominations, just ahead of Alan Wake 2 with 14. I think this is the first time I've seen Samantha Beart as Karlach nominated for Best Performance alongside Neil Newbon and Amelia Tyler. A couple years ago they created a separate category for Best Supporting Performance and Raphael, Halsin and Jaheira's VAs are all nominated.
One thing that gets me about Samantha's performance is that she comes across in interviews as a very different person than Karlach, but is also great at playing Karlach. She got range!

Whereas Neil and Amelia (while not to disparage them by comparison, great performances) are just leaning into their strengths and existing grooves.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

What I really like about these voice actors, other than the fact that they're excellent at what they do, is that they seem very enthusiastic about the project/game, beyond what would be expected from professionals. Amelia Tyler recently said, paraphrasing, that she would give her left arm to work with Larian again. It's a good indication that they were never exploited or treated shittily by management.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

Judging by all the angry Steam posts, they really underestimated how many people would be playing this on a Mac

It was the worst possible time for them to do this - normally a patch delay wouldn’t be such a big deal (for me at least - a lot of people are annoyed at multiplayer between platforms getting broken every other weekend by a version mismatch) but Patch 4 literally broke the game. If you hadn’t already hit act 3 when it dropped you basically couldn’t keep playing once you got to act 3. It was bad enough for the PC folk to be in this situation for a week or so, but those of us on Mac were left unable to play the game for 3 weeks, it was an appalling fuckup.

But really even that I could have tolerated if they had just loving communicated with us. Instead they didn’t even tell anyone it wasn’t available on Mac till days after it dropped for windows, leading a bunch of people to reinstall the game to try and troubleshoot why the patch wasn’t installing; then they just said ‘it’ll be out soon’ and never said another word for 2 weeks.

If they’d apologised and been upfront and said it would be a couple of weeks I would have been able to move on with my life and play something else and come back to it but instead I spent the past 2 weeks angrily googling ‘bg3 patch 5 MacOS’ every couple of hours while aimlessly watching YouTube videos because I tend to just play or watch one thing at a time and I didn’t want to start another ‘big thing’ in case the patch dropped.

I just hope they learned from all this; and hopefully based on some of the hiring news they might be bringing the Mac porting in house.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?
Solo Honour mode trip report:

First, this is super fun because it makes you take the game extremely slowly and check every little last thing. I'm finding way more stuff than I did on my regular tactician run.

Second, you need to hoard food like crazy as a wizard. Each encounter takes all your spell slots, so you really need those long rests.

Third, that imp familiar that can turn invisible makes a massive difference. It can scout ahead with invisibility, it can fear enemies at a decent rate, and the best thing is that even at 7 hp it's a distraction that buys me at least one turn of free attacking.

Grease and chokepoints have been pretty good - I'm hoping web is even better.

Haste pots aren't actually that great because with just one character it's hard to finish fights in 3 rounds. You're better off popping those potions mid-fight than at the start (or you'll give up an entire turn at some point).

Having life cleric 1 (in addition to necro 3) has proven super valuable with sanctuary as well - if I totally gently caress up a fight I can pop sanctuary instead of a (very limited availability) invisibility potion and dash my way to safety.

I'm running out of non-boss act 1 stuff to do. I'll probably eat it on the first boss since I don't really have the firepower (maybe some barrelmancy is in order, but I've been avoiding that).

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Just wondering, what happens if you let a certain someone drink the blood of that creepy merchant at Moonrise for science?touching little moment when he clearly expressed his preference not to and I went along with his decision.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

You get a nice potion they now despise you

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

He'll get over it.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I do think this drastically affects if you are romancing them. And judging from the #bg3support channel, it’s a lot of people.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Oh next run they're dying on sight.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Whats funny is if you take control of Aster and drink her blood the old-fashioned way, she still flips a poo poo

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

unattended spaghetti posted:

Oh next run they're dying on sight.

You won't get affection points for that approach!

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Found out if you're playing co-op and fight the Stone Lord in act 3, Jaheira doesn't just have to be in the party, she also has to be the closest person to Minsc. Your partner can't initiate the dialogue for you if they're not the one with Jaheira in their party

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
I poked a bird a couple of times in the grove and a scary metal man appeared and shouted at me.

Did that act break my oath of vengeance or was it the straw that broke the camels back?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

unattended spaghetti posted:

Just wondering, what happens if you let a certain someone drink the blood of that creepy merchant at Moonrise for science?touching little moment when he clearly expressed his preference not to and I went along with his decision.

you get a potion that will give a character in your party a permanent +2 str;
which is far too good to pass up IMO.

you’ll get a sizeable disaproval from the certain someone, but nothing to serious unless you’ve been totally neglecting them on the approval front.

The exception is if you’re loving the certain someone - there will be a confrontation afterwards and there is exactly one correct line of conversation that will allow you to keep being lovers, the rest will lead to a breakup.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

you get a potion that will give a character in your party a permanent +2 str;
which is far too good to pass up IMO.

you’ll get a sizeable disaproval from the certain someone, but nothing to serious unless you’ve been totally neglecting them on the approval front.

The exception is if you’re loving the certain someone - there will be a confrontation afterwards and there is exactly one correct line of conversation that will allow you to keep being lovers, the rest will lead to a breakup.

God drat it I regret my decision now lol. Playthrough after next I suppose.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://www.ign.com/articles/baldurs-gate-3-final-interview-game-of-the-year-2023-characters-endings

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

Welp, finished my honour mode run. Did the Dark Urge evil ending. Game still becomes a cakewalk once you hit 11-12 or so (or maybe fighter is just busted, two of my characters were multiclassed into fighter and one of the others was pure fighter, lol). I was super nervous going into Act 3 because of all the big fights but it was really not too bad at all.

That last fight is janky as all hell though. (Final Fight Spoilers) once you go inside the brain it just starts flashing back and forth between the two areas constantly and it becomes incredibly hard to see what's actually going on. At some point Laezel got disarmed and I don't even know who did it. You also can't seem to throw anything at the brain for some reason, it just says the item will fall to its death, which was an issue for me because my Durge was a throwing barbarian. Also feels like its much more aggressive destroying platforms than on normal, by the end everyone was crammed on the one tiny remaining platform and lobbing spells from scrolls because they couldn't hit it in melee.

Anyway, honour mode was super fun, highly recommended if anyone is even vaguely interested. Having to commit to your rolls gives everything a lot more weight imo. Also I'm just now realising that I forgot to go to the house of grief this run. That's annoying, I haven't seen how that goes with evil Shadowheart.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

So I god the mod that tells you when there is an event at camp and somehow I had missed some! Did you know as Durge there is an event if you rest right after you look at the first dead body but before you get to the grove?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Every Origin character has a special camp scene if you rest immediately before recruiting anyone. Incredibly easy to miss considering Shadowheart is literally ten feet away from you.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

IMO the game should enforce some of those Long Rests to not have players miss scenes like that.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I read this and I can feel the dev teams annoyance with the interviewer lol

Zirak
Oct 17, 2018

exquisite tea posted:

Every Origin character has a special camp scene if you rest immediately before recruiting anyone. Incredibly easy to miss considering Shadowheart is literally ten feet away from you.

Not sure if it's a bug or not but Samantha Beart (Actor for Karlach) on their PS5 stream is playing Origin Karlach and they long rested immediately after the crash to get the scene with Karlach fantasising about a threesome, but when they woke up Shadowheart was no longer there. Samantha did it by saving first to show that "bonus" scene, then reloading so that they could still recruit Shart. Not sure if you then have to recruit Shart another way? I remember years ago in the EA there was a possible scene of Shadowheart stumbling into camp or something if you didn't rescue her, wasn't there?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Shard posted:

I read this and I can feel the dev teams annoyance with the interviewer lol

Games journalists

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

If you don’t recruit Shadowheart at the beach, I think she moves to the grove and you can recruit her there.

If you didn’t reduce her on the Nautilus I think she isn’t at the beach and starts at the ruins instead?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ashcans posted:

If you don’t recruit Shadowheart at the beach, I think she moves to the grove and you can recruit her there.

If you didn’t reduce her on the Nautilus I think she isn’t at the beach and starts at the ruins instead?

Yeah, that's right.
It's really difficult to miss her, even if you purposefully try to. For obvious reasons.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

Games journalists

My favorite was right at the beginning.

Interviewer: "So I think I'll just start with my girl, Karlach. I feel like she maybe it has grown the most since launch because she got a better ending, which was the ending I specifically went for or invading hell together, even though she friend zoned me. She got even a little more detail and everything. I know that most of her personal quest was cut out of Act 3..."

Swen Vincke, Director: "It was never cut."

Adam Smith, Lead Writer: "No."

SV: "It was never there."

Interviewer: "It was just never there."

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM-e46xdcUo

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Shard posted:

My favorite was right at the beginning.

Interviewer: "So I think I'll just start with my girl, Karlach. I feel like she maybe it has grown the most since launch because she got a better ending, which was the ending I specifically went for or invading hell together, even though she friend zoned me. She got even a little more detail and everything. I know that most of her personal quest was cut out of Act 3..."

Swen Vincke, Director: "It was never cut."

Adam Smith, Lead Writer: "No."

SV: "It was never there."

Interviewer: "It was just never there."

Also the interviewer going "You said there's thousands of ending but there's only like two." and Swen going "We respectfully disagree." which is basically him calling the interviewer a moron in PR speak.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Yeah, you can’t miss Shadowheart permanently. She’ll be hanging out in the grove if you missed her on the beach or the temple doors, and if you don’t recruit her there she’ll show up at the goblin camp during the scene where the absolute tries to control you. It can be kind of fun to get her that way, ends up with a bit of a more natural dynamic than the usual “save on the nautiloid -> friends forever” if your character is githyanki or just trusts Lae’zel and doesn’t bend over backwards when Shadowheart tells you to ditch her.

I think if you ignore the goblin camp and try to go straight to the mountain pass she’ll join during the forced long rest there? I haven’t messed around with that or trying to explore the underdark without her but I assume there’s similar events there since you need to get the artifact at some point.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Incredible that basing all of your research off of reddit posts could lead to incorrect assumptions.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

My experience is having to constantly reset my modsettings.lsx to make sure our co-op games synch up and the baseline save is right on the beach.

You can recruit Shadowheart and get the first long rest scene. I told her to go to camp then you can long rest and I still had Shadowheart on PC. But this was last checked on patch 4.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

IMO the game should enforce some of those Long Rests to not have players miss scenes like that.

There is 1 enforced long rest after the creche. I think if you try to go back to the grove or anywhere in act 1, you get a forced long rest to get the cutscene with Voss. I was annoyed because I had just used an elixir

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Kind of disappointed when the 'paladins' say Karlach slaughtered the grove you don't have the opportunity to say 'That was me bitch'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Also kind of disappointed: a fey warlock doesn't see through Ethel in the grove