Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Ether Frenzy posted:

Your next car is going to be even more complicated and you're going to be even older and busier at that point.

The Liqui-Moli GT1 + filter + gaskets kit for the E92 is $225 shipped, I don't mind paying half an hour in labor to not do it myself tbh.

You’re 100% right and I hate it.

The 991 can’t be that bad, right? There have to be DIYers doing oil changes on that gen. If an oil change requires the bumper to come off I’m going to toss my keyboard across the room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

You’re 100% right and I hate it.

The 991 can’t be that bad, right? There have to be DIYers doing oil changes on that gen. If an oil change requires the bumper to come off I’m going to toss my keyboard across the room.
I don’t think the bumper has to come off for an oil change but I’m pretty sure it does for an air filter change.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
I have an overheating problem on my 2007 BMW 525 with N53 engine, and it seems like a control issue with the water pump. About 1/4 startups the water pump fails to turn on. The problem is easy to check on by keeping the reservoir open while starting. If there is water flowing in to the reservoir I can drive hundreds of kilometers without an issue until the next startup. If there is no flow I won't make it 10 kilometers before overheating. Torque app hasn't shown any fault codes.

As an example during one hot day I started the car and got no flow. I turned the car off, waited 10 seconds and started, again no flow. Another turn off, wait and start up and now there was flow. I drove 5 km to a store, long enough for the cooland to just reach operational temperature. After shopping the first start up didn't produce flow, but the second one did and I could drive back without problem.

The thermostat has been swapped as the first suspect but the problem continues. I assume the problem can't be with the plastic impeller since the water pump works most of the time. I assume the problem can't be a contact problem with the wiring, since it never presents itseld during driving when I would think the vibration would be most likely to cause it. It doesn't feel like the problem could be with temperature sensors since it doesn't seem to related to temperature. Except for the attribute that if the engine has gotten thoroughly warm either by long drive or overheating, then if the issue occurs it doesn't seem to go away until the engine have cooled quite a bit.

A coworker suggested that a relay controlling the water pump might be malfunctioning, but I couldn't find information of any such relay in the INST+ software. Maybe the relay is builtin in the water pump?

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
What it keeping you from replacing the water pump?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Saukkis posted:

I have an overheating problem on my 2007 BMW 525 with N53 engine, and it seems like a control issue with the water pump. About 1/4 startups the water pump fails to turn on. The problem is easy to check on by keeping the reservoir open while starting. If there is water flowing in to the reservoir I can drive hundreds of kilometers without an issue until the next startup. If there is no flow I won't make it 10 kilometers before overheating. Torque app hasn't shown any fault codes.

As an example during one hot day I started the car and got no flow. I turned the car off, waited 10 seconds and started, again no flow. Another turn off, wait and start up and now there was flow. I drove 5 km to a store, long enough for the cooland to just reach operational temperature. After shopping the first start up didn't produce flow, but the second one did and I could drive back without problem.

The thermostat has been swapped as the first suspect but the problem continues. I assume the problem can't be with the plastic impeller since the water pump works most of the time. I assume the problem can't be a contact problem with the wiring, since it never presents itseld during driving when I would think the vibration would be most likely to cause it. It doesn't feel like the problem could be with temperature sensors since it doesn't seem to related to temperature. Except for the attribute that if the engine has gotten thoroughly warm either by long drive or overheating, then if the issue occurs it doesn't seem to go away until the engine have cooled quite a bit.

A coworker suggested that a relay controlling the water pump might be malfunctioning, but I couldn't find information of any such relay in the INST+ software. Maybe the relay is builtin in the water pump?

That generation of engine uses an electric water pump. Everything you are describing are the symptoms of a failing/failed water pump. It needs replacing immediately. Be sure to use blue BMW coolant to refill it. Likely will need to replace the other main bits of the cooling system at the same time (thermostat/housing/radiator/expansion tank/hoses). The car is 16+ years old. It is going to need some maintenance. When I was looking at getting an E70 X5 I read about the water pumps which is a common failure point and found they would last anywhere from 60K miles to ~100K miles.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Perhaps it’s time to return to the old thread title for a while.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

:sigh: I've got another wheel bearing giving me some issues. Definitely noisy, some vibration between 40-60mph particularly off throttle.

Supposed to drive 400 miles to my parents for Thanksgiving and then back, how bad of an idea is it to put that much mileage on the thing? Will it simply get louder and hurt my fuel economy, or is there some real risk? Doubt my mechanic would be able to squeeze me in this week...

On the bright side I went up about 2mpg after replacing one earlier this year. Hopefully I can pick up 2 more from this.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Perhaps it’s time to return to the old thread title for a while.

Seriously if you're buying or driving a 10 year old BMW and you don't know when the water pump and related components were last replaced just assume you need to replace them.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Sab669 posted:

:sigh: I've got another wheel bearing giving me some issues. Definitely noisy, some vibration between 40-60mph particularly off throttle.

Supposed to drive 400 miles to my parents for Thanksgiving and then back, how bad of an idea is it to put that much mileage on the thing? Will it simply get louder and hurt my fuel economy, or is there some real risk? Doubt my mechanic would be able to squeeze me in this week...

On the bright side I went up about 2mpg after replacing one earlier this year. Hopefully I can pick up 2 more from this.

If you have any other vehicles, I would take one of those instead. Bearings can fail catastrophically, and asking 800 more miles from a known bad one is not a good idea.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

:frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren: AISS 2023: This Wednesday 11/22 is the last day to sign up! :frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren:

Did you catch a joke probation, make a super embarrassing post complaining about it, and need some holiday cheer to get you back in the shitposting spirit?

Then sign up for Automotive Insanity's Secret Santa! Some goon will send you a random assortment of items, mostly some broken car parts, and there is an option for penis-emblazonment. I have enjoyed it so much over the years that I volunteered to pick up the mantle from slothrop and organize it for 2023. So come on down and spread the holiday cheeks cheer!

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Ditch the run flats and get some kind of roadside assistance. In the US that’s typically AAA for about $100 a year.

The PS4S is a great tire assuming you never see temps below 40F. Continental DWS and Michelin A/S4 are good too.

Late reply but cheers! This seals it and I'll pick up a new set soon.

I will say that the g20 has been an absolute blast to drive these last few weeks. It's my first first fancy euro car and a major step up from the 2 door Ute's (pickups) I've always owned.

Just got after market interior and exterior protective coatings. Floor and boot mats on the way.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

:frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren: AISS 2023: LAST CHANCE, PROCRASTINATORS! :frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I’m thinking of the G01 X3. We want to do more road tripping next year and I want a more comfortable vehicle than my Honda Fit (I love this little thing but it’s noisy at 80mph). 2 people and 3 dogs(1 55lb and 2 10lb) so rear cargo space is a priority with the seats down. I want a quieter cabin and it looks like acoustic glass is standard across all models with optional for the side windows. Are the ventilated seats decent in BMWs? Any things to look out for as far as drivetrain? Or is the B48 pretty well sorted out at this point?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Tossed my winter set from the F80 on the 330i. It's tight but they seem to fit. Factory size is 225/45/18. These are 245/45/18. I'll go smaller when I replace them but I have at least this winter left on the tread-wise.

Tight but it clears! Didn't hear any rubbing and didn't see any evidence of it either.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

https://www.copart.com/lot/67236293/salvage-2012-bmw-328-xi-vt-rutland

For the E91 crowd. I’m absolutely head over heels for the color and spec of this car but just lol at someone paying $10k after fees for a wrecked, salvage title, 10+ year old that has been sitting in a field and likely spent it life in VT.

Would have been that hard to bring the 335 E91 to the states BMW??

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Was just stopped at a redlight going in to work. Light changes green, I put it in gear and start go and suddenly just heard a really loud noise and have no power. Get kind of a "whirrrr" noise if I give it gas in gear but that's it, revs normally in neutral. No CEL or anything though?

Cool cool cool. Edit; https://youtu.be/h3LarrTnsoo?si=I1nwMwz6fwtUFVzc

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Dec 15, 2023

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Sab669 posted:

Was just stopped at a redlight going in to work. Light changes green, I put it in gear and start go and suddenly just heard a really loud noise and have no power. Get kind of a "whirrrr" noise if I give it gas in gear but that's it, revs normally in neutral. No CEL or anything though?

If you try 2nd does the whir sound change pitch?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Didn't try giving it gas in a different gear, but it's been towed to a shop and I'm home now so :shrug: :sigh:

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Good luck.

That transmission is likely coming out.

What car is it?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

2012 328xi, ~132K miles on it.

I also found out the company I had do the wrap just went straight over the little tow hook panel lol. Good thing the truck driver had a knife. That's what I get for cheaping out :v:

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 15, 2023

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Any weird smells?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I wouldn't be surprised if you lost all of the bolts to one of the axles or driveshafts. No diffs means it becomes 0 wheel drive

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Wonderllama posted:

Any weird smells?

No, and I left it idling most of the time while waiting for the tow truck. Didn't fiddle around with putting it into gear much more than just to record that video though.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Sab669 posted:

That...does not sound good. Did you have any kind of clunking happening before it happened? It seems really unlikely that it could be the guibo flex disc having all the bolts sheer off without any signs beforehand. Going from a neutral to drive and getting no power does seem like it will need a new transmission.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It drove great Sunday / Monday / Tuesday. I was half through my drive to work and then yea just a loud noise while I started to accelerate and then whirrrrrrrr. But for the first 10 minutes of my drive or whatever, business as usual.

I was about to type, "Let me go fish through my dashcam footage and see if you can hear it / check my speeds" but oh right that's at the transmission shop now :sigh:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
fwiw, i lost all of the bolts out of the left rear axle after the first track weekend with my old zhp, it behaved the same. hopefully you get lucky.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Woof I’m sorry bud.

In my E91 news, I have resumed the convo with the bodyshop to fix mine now that I have a house and all that sorted.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yuck at that noise. Hope it's not too serious. Perhaps it's time to swap it for an M3!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

BlackMK4 posted:

fwiw, i lost all of the bolts out of the left rear axle after the first track weekend with my old zhp, it behaved the same. hopefully you get lucky.

Same but on the e21. Driving fine then no go.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Ether Frenzy posted:

Yuck at that noise. Hope it's not too serious. Perhaps it's time to swap it for an M3!

Or a stealth M3 drivetrain swap.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

In theory I would love to make my own M3 Touring, but alas I'm wildly underpaid

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Or a stealth M3 drivetrain swap.

I’m gonna get there, but I do not think I will be stealth about it.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Tranny shop just called. Whole rear end transmission + transfer case to replace.

$3K for Used
$5K for Remanufactured + Warranty
$10K for a new Transmission from the dealership

On the plus side they said the clutch looks like it was recently replaced. Guess I'm going with the remanufactured route :( Doesn't seem worth "skimping" on $2K and Not getting a warranty for something that serious.

I don't even know if these guys do anything but transmissions, but is it worth doing like any water cooler / thermostat poo poo while the whole rear end thing is torn apart? :shrug: Not sure if I'd be saving anything in labor for that kinda stuff.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 20, 2023

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Woof sorry man that loving sucks bad luck eggs

Not really sure there is much like while you’re in there type stuff if the clutch is looking good, possibly flywheel/RMS but I don’t think those should need it and pretty sure you need to drop engine for RMS while I do not think you need to for trans.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That is extremely strange.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Clearly I should just fast-track my plan to LS swap it :hmmyes:

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Sab669 posted:

Tranny shop just called. Whole rear end transmission + transfer case to replace.

Transmission & transfer seem a wild grouping to both require replacement outside a notable excursion. Curiosity only further intensifies

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

tbh I honestly don't remember the specifics of what they said at the start of the call. Been in just a poo poo mood since getting the news. I mean I fully expected a hefty 4 figure bill so like it's not a shock, but still sucks.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
That loving sucks. That’s definitely abnormal for both to just go out like that. I’m also curious for the explanation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

That stinks. I’ll echo the ??? of both units going at the same time. It’s a manual transmission? It seems so unlikely that the unit would poo poo itself without flagrant abuse or no fluid. The transfer case? Sure there were plenty of issues with them in the X3 I’m not sure if they are the same.

Is this a trustworthy shop?