Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

The nearest EA charger to me just switched from kW billing to time of use billing, $0.56/min for 0-67 kW speed.

That is motherfucking $0.67/kWh for the Bolt, or $0.20/mile, that's highway robbery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
the height of an average EV thread poster must be very tall because the distribution of heights in the US has the 75th percentile of men at 5'11" and the 99th percentile of women at 5'9", so for many people, something ex30-sized will be fine. Doug, at 6'3", is in the 98th percentile, and while it is comical to see him squeeze back there most people aren't hauling NBA players around.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Qwijib0 posted:

the height of an average EV thread poster must be very tall

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hei...%20significant.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you plan to regularly have people in the back seat that are more than 6’ tall this ain’t the car for you. Unless you hate those people.

Sadly, truth.

When we sat in the EV6, he said he had room, but he really enjoyed how much space he had in the middle row of the EV9. The back row of the EV9 was a bit more smushed but still technically doable. So maybe a car that has the seating dimensions of the EV9’s front and middle but no back row needed.

Pretty sure I said this in the thread earlier but I liked the EV6 Wind because it had more headroom than the GT-Line, but the GT-Line has better tech.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I'm sure it's not just the height that's an issue, it's also girth.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm 6 feet tall and as a driver in my Spark that's too tall. If I'm first in line at a stop light I have to hunch down to see the overhead stop light in front of me.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm barely 5'8" :kiddo:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Elviscat posted:

That is motherfucking $0.67/kWh for the Bolt, or $0.20/mile, that's highway robbery.

:stonk:

Yeah. It's pretty exciting that New Mexico is putting state-run chargers all up and down I-25. Soon, cruft jr won't have to pay outrageous per-minute rates at the only CCS charger in the city of Albuquerque (the largest city in the state).

I believe I have previously vented my spleen about the EA charger in Albuquerque, so I'll stop now.

E: I went to look up what the Albuquerque station's rates are, and the EA web site only says to check in the app. FFS.

cruft fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 15, 2023

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

cruft posted:

E: I went to look up what the Albuquerque station's rates are, and the EA web site only says to check in the app. FFS.

Okay, thank you PlugShare.

It's 56¢/kWh for everyone. Plus a 40¢/h "parking fee" to park in the Wal-Mart parking lot :rolleyes:

Tesla's Albuquerque Supercharger is 38¢/kWh, with no additional fees.

On the one hand, I'm grateful the EA charger is there, because otherwise no EV would be able to go further south than Santa Fe. On the other hand, screw EA.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
I predicted to my wife that in two years they’ll price gas and something like 10kwh the exact same. I can just feel it in my bones

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I think that’s a fair prediction and why I think anyone expecting to keep an EV going on public chargers is foolish, as unfair as that is to renters.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Qwijib0 posted:

the height of an average EV thread poster must be very tall because the distribution of heights in the US has the 75th percentile of men at 5'11" and the 99th percentile of women at 5'9", so for many people, something ex30-sized will be fine. Doug, at 6'3", is in the 98th percentile, and while it is comical to see him squeeze back there most people aren't hauling NBA players around.

I’m 5’10 and that back seat is very snug on the EX-30. It’s being explicitly targeted at pre-family Gen Zers and empty nesters. It’s the size of a Golf but the packaging favors front seat room over rear.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Why don’t they make it such that the back seats can go all the way to the back of the car

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Vegetable posted:

Why don’t they make it such that the back seats can go all the way to the back of the car

Can I interest you in a Toyota iQ?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

You can fold the back up to create seats in a car!? Why?

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 15, 2023

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Three Olives posted:

Can I interest you in a Toyota iQ?

Warning: Getting rear-ended equals instant death for backseat passengers.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

WhiteHowler posted:

If they thicc they got a crumple zone :yosbutt:

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

WhiteHowler posted:

I found a safety report for the IQ and it gave it 5/5 stars for safety. Interestingly enough, they only consider frontal and side impacts in the safety analysis.
https://cdn.euroncap.com/media/7594/euroncap_toyota_iq_2009_5stars.pdf

You should have been around in the 80's, it was common to fill the back of a station wagon with kids who would wrestle during car trips.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Civil posted:

You should have been around in the 80's, it was common to fill the back of a station wagon with kids who would wrestle during car trips.

I was very much around in the 80's, and I was one of those kids in the back of my neighbor's station wagon going to the amusement park or roller rink.

Never got into an accident, but we would have flown all over the place.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I found a second bank of L2 chargers (free) at my office that seems to be less used than the other ones and they connect via the Flo app so I can monitor them better. The other ones were just dumb plugs.

It was like discovering the lost city of el dorado.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
in the 80s people unironically thought national lampoon animal house was the funniest poo poo.. makes u think...

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
My grandpa's GM station wagon had a rumble seat it it fuckin owned. Good memories of throwing gum out the window and watching it bounce down the road.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Duck and Cover posted:

I'm going to have to side with the angry person here. Having voice assistants pretend to be a human by being offended or making stupid jokes is really dumb. Like incredibly dumb.

Douglas Adams predicted this.

In local news reviews of the BYD Seal are starting to come through and it's looking really positive - basically a slightly cheaper, slightly slower Model 3 clone which rides better and isn't quite as stripped out (you get the excellent BYD 360 camera, an instrument cluster, Carplay, parking sensors, traditional BSM and RCTA, V2L, even a few physical controls).

They did do the dumb thing of copying the Model 3 glass roof, but at least they included a (hilariously clunky) clip on shade which I'd install and never remove.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Volvo wagons used to have rear facing seats so they can’t have been all that unsafe!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

dissss posted:

In local news reviews of the BYD Seal are starting to come through and it's looking really positive - basically a slightly cheaper, slightly slower Model 3 clone which rides better and isn't quite as stripped out (you get the excellent BYD 360 camera, an instrument cluster, Carplay, parking sensors, traditional BSM and RCTA, V2L, even a few physical controls).

They did do the dumb thing of copying the Model 3 glass roof, but at least they included a (hilariously clunky) clip on shade which I'd install and never remove.

Is this a China/Europe/UK only car? The fact that this thing doesn't use cobalt in it's batteries is a nice plus.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

dissss posted:

I see, thin skinned digital assistants are another instance of the torment nexus.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
If by China/Europe/UK only you mean everywhere but North America sure

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Lady Radia posted:

I predicted to my wife that in two years they’ll price gas and something like 10kwh the exact same. I can just feel it in my bones

Tiny Timbs posted:

I think that’s a fair prediction and why I think anyone expecting to keep an EV going on public chargers is foolish, as unfair as that is to renters.

In my experience, if there's a way society can screw over people with limited means, you can pretty much count on that happening.

I wouldn't be surprised if gasoline winds up being cheaper to operate, but you need more initial outlay to buy a car that can run on it, and probably have to jump through insurance and other hoops to essentially prove you're wealthy.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

dissss posted:

I figured :sigh:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

dissss posted:

Oh GG he did too. Sirius Corporation's Genuine People Personalities. And it's every bit as bad as he said it would be.

Or as HGTTU says "A bunch of mindless jerks who will be first against the wall when the revolution happens"

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

fuckin' tall people man, got all the odds stacked in their favor and yet constantly complaining about how they "don't fit". babies the lot of them. pay for a larger vehicle/bigger house/higher class airplane seat with all the money you make from being tall and deal with it

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

TheFluff posted:

fuckin' tall people man, got all the odds stacked in their favor and yet constantly complaining about how they "don't fit". babies the lot of them

Hey short kings can just sit on an apple crate but tall folks can’t even cram themselves in!!

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Civil posted:

I found a safety report for the IQ and it gave it 5/5 stars for safety. Interestingly enough, they only consider frontal and side impacts in the safety analysis.
https://cdn.euroncap.com/media/7594/euroncap_toyota_iq_2009_5stars.pdf

In Australia that sort of ended in the 70s, but we never had cars made out of wood either…

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

dissss posted:

Think it’ll be available in Mexico, so everywhere but the US and Canada. :(

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

TheFluff posted:

fuckin' tall people man, got all the odds stacked in their favor and yet constantly complaining about how they "don't fit". babies the lot of them. pay for a larger vehicle/bigger house/higher class airplane seat with all the money you make from being tall and deal with it

So many times I have wished for shorter bones.

I just recovered from knee problems inflicted by my leg bones being too long to lay flat against the train seat supports, and having to go to sleep with my weak-rear end old man knee connective tissue supporting the entire weight of my thigh.

I know it seems really nice when we can reach stuff on the top shelf, but I'd prefer to be able to friggin' fit into things. Or, gah, meeting people eye-to-eye. Being able to dance with my wife and see her philtrum. I mean, stools exist.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Think it’ll be available in Mexico, so everywhere but the US and Canada. :(

I wonder what the process of buying one in Mexico and bringing it back would be.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

I'm seriously going to have my eye an an certified pre-owned iX in three years...

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

They seem like a lot and if you wanna talk optioning up, BMWs are so bad for that.

CPOs will definitely be the way to go with those. I do see a lot of iXs around which always surprises me. They’re pretty pricey!!

stevewm
May 10, 2005
The SAE is nearly ready to release their standardization of NACS (now also known as J3400).

https://electrek.co/2023/12/15/saes-nacs-certification-is-ready-and-itll-fix-every-ev-charging-problem-at-once/

It has something I don't think anyone was expecting... They came up with a way to use detachable cables, like Type 2 does... By using Type 2! The standard apparently defines detachable cables using Type 2 on the EVSE side, and J1772/NACS on the vehicle side.

(from the linked article)

Not that it really matters in NA, but I wonder if the detachable NACS cables would be compatible with existing Type 2 equipment...

stevewm fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

priznat posted:

They seem like a lot and if you wanna talk optioning up, BMWs are so bad for that.

CPOs will definitely be the way to go with those. I do see a lot of iXs around which always surprises me. They’re pretty pricey!!

Just looking at the depreciation though.

The fact that I bought a new Mach-E was just a fluke of new/used car prices and interest rates a year over a year ago, had things been different I probably would have seriously considered, if not purchased a certified E-Tron.