Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Cultural Revolution style poster of a bunch of Mao-capped, clean-cut young cadres bursting into the House of Lords and abolishing it. "No to the Three olds! Aristocracy; Autocracy; Absolutely awful capitalist exploitation!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

everyone itt is about to end up on a watchlist

for liking firefly

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Time has not been kind of the cast of Firefly, except for Fillion, Hendricks and Tudyk.

The life of a Vancouver based actor is a mercurial thing.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
In classic US Air Force style, their stealth target drone is large and reusable and has been designed and built over about a decade, because rather than just a maneuvering low RCS target, they want it to carry variable jamming and countermeasures of decent payload.

Do probably high capability for test and training but lower mass availability.

https://twitter.com/defencedecode/status/1366619545343991812?s=46&t=fppHBZSlD4AbSz5pJxjFMQ

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

What in the gently caress?

China really needs to arrest that guy already

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Frosted Flake posted:

Time has not been kind of the cast of Firefly, except for Fillion, Hendricks and Tudyk.

what happened to the others?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Megamissen posted:

what happened to the others?

Baccarin damned to a successful and profitable film acting career.

Torres sentenced to recurring supporting roles on multiple major network TV shows.

A bunch of others cast into the pits of long TV careers with recurring regular roles, sometimes as the lead.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

and NXIVM

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Frosted Flake posted:

ron glass is doing well

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

TowerofOil posted:

President Xi, I yearn for re-education, please send me a check for a plane ticket and expenses when I arrive.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I thought that was Battlestar Galactica. Or did they get Firefly too?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
NXIVM was Smallville

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

They are going to say that it is the People's Daily, of course. State press, "bias" etc but anyway I'm lmaoing

http://en.people.cn/n3/2023/1215/c90000-20111061.html

quote:

China's next generation artificial sun opens for global shared research and use in cooperation with ITER

(Global Times) 15:15, December 15, 2023

The China National Nuclear Corporation (CNNC) announced on Thursday the global opening of the next generation artificial sun, “China Circulation-3,” after the group’s affiliated Southwestern Institute of Physics signed an agreement with the International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor (ITER). The initiative invites scientists worldwide to come to China and collaborate toward the shared goal of pursuing “artificial sun energy.”

The “China Circulation-3” is currently China's most advanced and largest-scale nuclear fusion device, also referred to as China's next generation “artificial sun.”

In August this year, it successfully achieved high-constraint operation mode under a plasma current of 1 million amperes, marking a significant advancement in China's magnetic confinement nuclear fusion device, propelling it to the forefront of international research.

Over the years, the Southwestern Institute of Physics has been deeply involved in the development of key components for ITER, the world's largest “artificial sun” project, CNNC said, and together overcame numerous engineering and technical challenges.

This involvement of the Chinese institute has led to the accumulation of extensive experience in the construction, debugging, operation, and maintenance of fusion devices, laying a solid foundation for China to integrate with international advanced technology and eventually construct its own fusion reactor.

Due to the similarity in the principles of the two experiments, the openness of “China Circulation-3” will not only focus on addressing key technical issues of interest to the ITER but will also enhance China's research and development capabilities and foster talent development.

In April this year, the other Chinese "artificial sun,” the Experimental Advanced Superconducting Tokamak (EAST), which is also the world's first fully superconducting tokamak device in operation, saw a major breakthrough as it achieved a high power, stable, 403-second steady-state long-pulse high confinement mode plasma operation, setting a new world record for steady-state high confinement mode operation of a tokamak device.

Developer of the EAST, the Institute of Plasma Physics under the Chinese Academy of Sciences, said that they are aiming to use the EAST to generate fusion power before the centenary of the founding of the People's Republic of China, which falls in 2049.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
a once in a generation $50 billion investment? $35 million for BAE? a team of 200 people? anyone who doesn't think the chips, chips, chips won't be loving AWESOME and ahead of schedule is delusional. Remarks by U.S. Secretary of Commerce Gina Raimondo at BAE Systems in Nashua, New Hampshire

www.commerce.gov posted:

Thank you, Tom. Good morning! This is a big day – a big day for the United States and a big day for New Hampshire. I’m so pleased we’re joined by Senator Shaheen, who played a huge role in making sure that this bill happened and that the Commerce Department received the funding. And Senator Hassan, also such a staunch advocate for the people of New Hampshire.

Thank you to Assistant Secretary of Defense Dr. Laura Taylor-Kale for being here. It’s important that we have representation from the DOD today, because fundamentally, that’s what the CHIPS Act is all about.

Now, let’s talk about why we’re here today.

America invented semiconductors. We used to lead the world in manufacturing them. Today, they are integral to our daily lives. The car you drove here today? It needs chips to run. The phone you’re using to take photos? Chips. The smartwatch on your wrist? You guessed it –chips. And the F-35s that land on our aircraft carriers? Chips, chips, and more chips.

Producing those chips at home is fundamental to our national and economic security. But over the years, our leadership declined and the U.S. became overly reliant on southeast Asian markets for these critical technologies. When the pandemic hit, it put a spotlight on the severity of this vulnerability. We learned the hard way that America isn’t building enough chips at home to meet the demand we urgently need to fill. And so shortly after taking office, President Biden took action, and he tasked me with getting this program over the finish line.

That’s why a little more than a year ago, he signed the CHIPS and Science Act into law. This is a historic, once-in-a-generation $50 billion investment to bolster our national security and secure our position as the global leader on technology and innovation for decades to come.

In record time, we assembled an incredible team – nearly 200 people representing the best and brightest investors, industry analysts, and engineers in America, with decades of experience across industry and government and a track record of running big projects. They’ve built a program from whole cloth that is the new gold standard across government.

And today we’re kicking off the next phase of CHIPS for America. We’re thrilled to announce that we are entering into a preliminary memorandum of terms with BAE Systems to provide up to $35 million in federal incentives to support the modernization of their Microelectronics Center right here in Nashua. Crucially, the project will replace aging tools and quadruple the production of the chips necessary for critical defense programs including the F-35 fighter jet.

I am excited to be here for our first CHIPS announcement, which highlights how central semiconductors are to our national defense. New Hampshire is home to the oldest continuously operating public shipyard in the nation – Granite Staters know a thing or two about safeguarding our national security. This is an investment in New Hampshire’s expanding defense industrial base that will help make our country and supply chains more secure.

This is President Biden’s Investing in America agenda at work; it’s government at its best; and it’s just the beginning. We’re looking forward to making more announcements just like this one in the coming months.

So, thank you all for being here. Today, we’re sending a clear signal to the world that we are serious about bolstering our national security, rebuilding America’s manufacturing industry, and leading the world in technology and innovation.                                            

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

American national security is strengthened by handing cash directly to BAE, a corporation founded from British state owned military industries that were privatized and handed to Marconi.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Pistol_Pete posted:

It's a pity the CCP has a policy against exporting revolution 'cos I'd be getting straight on the ground floor of that if it was happening lol. Sign me up as British Communist Party (China-affiliated) member 000000001, please!

blame the ussr's gently caress ups in the 20s for this.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Just imagining the fuming, crying, screaming meltdowns if China started hosting a US government in exile

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/IranObserver0/status/1735672011068707039?t=C6nGOfDP98juTXZ5HPLB4w&s=19

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I'm no boats-knower so Iran sent out ships to block the progress of the carrier group into the gulf and the US decided to retreat rather than force the issue? Were they going over there to try to intimidate Iran or something since it's not on the Yemen side?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

FuzzySlippers posted:

I'm no boats-knower so Iran sent out ships to block the progress of the carrier group into the gulf and the US decided to retreat rather than force the issue? Were they going over there to try to intimidate Iran or something since it's not on the Yemen side?

The USS Eisenhower was in the Gulf for a couple weeks, and now it is leaving. (E: the US carrier strike group was inside the Gulf for 20 days on this mission, according to Iran)

When the US sails into the Gulf, usually the Iranians sail and fly out there and watch them, and then the Iranians say that they kept an eye on things and the Americans either say nothing or "I don't particularly care for how close you looked at us."

Then when the Americans eventually leave the Gulf, the Iranians sail out there or fly out there and announce that they chased the Americans away, and the Americans say they were always going to leave at that point in time anyway based on training and deployment requirements.

Depending on the mood, this is either done in a banal fashion or with great bombast from one or the other or both. When it's the regular Iranian Navy, it's usually pretty chill. It gets weirder when it's the IRGC instead. Sometimes if it gets too exciting with the IRGC, the regular Iranian Navy will make a show of coming out to say "hi" in a professional and calm manner.

Warships are free to pass the Strait of Hormuz, but they have to do so peaceably, which means publicly and not doing combat ops, so even for things like submarines, it makes for a good chance for everyone to take photos and video and talk at each other over the radios.

mlmp08 has issued a correction as of 01:07 on Dec 16, 2023

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

It still seems odd that with someone waging successful economic war against a US ally a (relative) short distance away a bunch of US military ships decided to go hang out with Kuwaiti aristocrats or something. Is the US leery of too directly confronting Yemen?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

FuzzySlippers posted:

It still seems odd that with someone waging successful economic war against a US ally a (relative) short distance away a bunch of US military ships decided to go hang out with Kuwaiti aristocrats or something. Is the US leery of too directly confronting Yemen?

shutting down the red sea blockade would require boots on the ground which at this point would have to be the saudis and that ends with the houthis bombing every refinery and oil field they can reach

zetamind2000 has issued a correction as of 02:02 on Dec 16, 2023

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

FuzzySlippers posted:

we have the saudis to thank for wasting 20K western AFVs over the years to produce an incredibly battle hardened people with modern weapons

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

zetamind2000 posted:

shutting down the red sea blockade would require boots on the ground which at this point would have to be the saudis and that ends with the houthis bombing every refinery and oil field they can reach

I think we'd see a much more significant reaction if the red sea was actually facing a blockade, as that would piss off everyone even more than the current status, including major powers who don't see eye to eye with the US et al. As it is, it's a lot of harassment and general international condemnation, but traffic keeps on trucking through the red sea and the BAM.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
i cant believe the red sea terrorists aren't targeting imperialist chinese owned shipping

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

The usual US response would be some random bombings in Yemen to "send a message" even (or maybe especially) if they are entirely useless and it's not like the US has had reluctance to bomb Yemen in the past. If the Yemeni air defenses have improved so they are concerned about actually losing a plane they could still lob some pricey cruise missiles.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

the strategy to completely run the US out of ammo is a good one, the neoliberal rot has fully taken hold.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
lol at the destination entries for some of the ships, since those show up on the free tracking websites:

Reported Destination: ARMED GUARD ONBOARD

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Guards seem worse for the Filipino crew on board. Rather than get a free Yemeni vacation of getting high and listening to music maybe that's why Ansurallah has talked of bombing ships the last few days.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

and then what?

What do you want anyone to do about it?

Gonna quote from the Podcast thread "maybe read some Lenin"

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

FuzzySlippers posted:

The usual US response would be some random bombings in Yemen to "send a message" even (or maybe especially) if they are entirely useless and it's not like the US has had reluctance to bomb Yemen in the past. If the Yemeni air defenses have improved so they are concerned about actually losing a plane they could still lob some pricey cruise missiles.

Does the US have the ammunition to spare to do that this time around?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Palladium posted:

i took a look at his tweets

"only the democratic west instead of seeseepee can prevent 3 building fires happening in a day"

A corner of an apartment building collapsed in NYC this week, during the summer the whole front of a brick building in the Mid-west collapsed and tried to be covered up because city officials owned the building. Americas cities are literally decaying around them. Even these brand new billion dollar investment properties in Manhattan have such poor build quality that they're falling apart 5 years later. Yet these Libs all believe the Hollywood image that America is a functional vibrant society

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020

KomradeX posted:

A corner of an apartment building collapsed in NYC this week, during the summer the whole front of a brick building in the Mid-west collapsed and tried to be covered up because city officials owned the building. Americas cities are literally decaying around them. Even these brand new billion dollar investment properties in Manhattan have such poor build quality that they're falling apart 5 years later. Yet these Libs all believe the Hollywood image that America is a functional vibrant society

https://twitter.com/BTnewsroom/status/1735367367977205926

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

KomradeX posted:

Gonna quote from the Podcast thread "maybe read some Lenin"

just going to sit here in the ruins of my dead since the 60's empire and shrug

may others have better luck

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

At least it's only a corner instead of like that building in Florida collapsing entirely.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

KomradeX posted:

lol have they checked their doomsday bunkers yet in NZ

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Regarde Aduck posted:

just going to sit here in the ruins of my dead since the 60's empire and shrug

may others have better luck

The Empire ended in the 60’s but really what Thatcher did sealed Britain’s fate.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

people in the West

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

The people actually making bank are doing just fine, number is up, the spreadsheet god says it's all good

They believe when it's really needed to do war to preserve themselves, they can just change the spreadsheet to make war number bigger and things will continue to be all good

Things will not continue to be all good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imperiusdamian
Dec 8, 2021

Frosted Flake posted:

The Empire ended in the 60’s but really what Thatcher did sealed Britain’s fate.

They should have dug her up and put her on trial like they did with that medieval pope.