Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Nothus posted:

Too squeamish to include India, Rhodesia, Malaysia, Singapore, and Burma but not squeamish enough to exclude South Africa?

Edit: lol at annexing Alaska

Did squeamish become a synonym for racist while I wasn't paying attention?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I knew the map seemed weird but it didn't occur to me that a reddit weirdo would include Alaska and exclude Crown Colonies.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Fantasizing about the white-ruled parts of the empire is one thing, but doing so with some conspicuous omissions is lol

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
It's a Redditor imaginary map of only the "Dominions" of the British Empire, excluding the "imperial" possessions of the British Empire.

Also in this Redditor's fictional timeline, the southern states successfully seceded from the U.S. in the civil war and formed the CSA, but then they had another intra-Confederate civil war in the 1900s or something. Separately, Cuba revolted against their Confederate States occupiers. There is no Soviet Union, and Tsars still run Russia.

Google reverse image search will show you some weird rabbit holes :catstare:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

So, if frequency indicates anything, it is easier for Redditors to imagine something like that, than to imagine the Dominions and Commonwealth continuing as a policy absent American influence?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

VoicesCanBe posted:

https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1735366664764702978

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1735366664764702978.html

ISW has gone full vatnik. 90% of the Russian military has been degraded per US intelligence, how could they have gotten stronger?

how exactly do they plan to stop the russian military from ever rebuilding short of just forcing them to do a war forever wont they rebuild even if they lose

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

how exactly do they plan to stop the russian military from ever rebuilding short of just forcing them to do a war forever wont they rebuild even if they lose

Russia is down to using pre-WW2 field guns and bolt action rifles and can't build new things because the sanctions took away hamburgers.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

remember the stuff about russians stealing toilets and naked conscripts and gas being syphoned? all that crap?

people like this believe it

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016
the thing about toilets is real though

https://i.imgur.com/0fhjq3F.mp4

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Some Guy TT posted:

The level of analysis the ISW does is one (short) step above the people they interview in Ukraine who say the Ukrainians have superior European genes and culture whereas the Russians are descended from the Asiatic Mongol empire and therefore operate under the law of the steppe... so the obvious Ukrainian plan is to hold out until Putin drinks himself to death, and then you watch the Russian federation tear itself apart as his descendants and vassals fight for supremacy.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

apparently a wounded vet suicide bombed a meeting of his village council by chucking a bunch of grenades in the room.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Stairmaster posted:

apparently a wounded vet suicide bombed a meeting of his village council by chucking a bunch of grenades in the room.

sounds like some explosive testimony

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

VoicesCanBe posted:

https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1735366664764702978

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1735366664764702978.html

ISW has gone full vatnik. 90% of the Russian military has been degraded per US intelligence, how could they have gotten stronger?
imagine being a ukrainian reading this and realising how much of a pawn your country really is

also most of what they say would be true regardless of whether russia wins or loses. what, the US isn't going to up its presence in Europe if Russia loses? Russia won't have gained experience in modern warfare and won't have time to retool its army?

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

samogonka posted:

You know your army's morale is about to break when they make joke videos like that.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

That soldier doesn't even have a gun! Not even a bolt action!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

samogonka posted:

reported for gore posting

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

are they looking for Biden's aid in there

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

R. Mute posted:

imagine being a ukrainian reading this and realising how much of a pawn your country really is

A lot of the hardcore English speaking Ukranian commentators openly embrace this role. They'll even brag about "fighting Russia so NATO doesn't have to"

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

VoicesCanBe posted:

A lot of the hardcore English speaking Ukranian commentators openly embrace this role. They'll even brag about "fighting Russia so NATO doesn't have to"

Bleeding out my country to own the Russians.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

supersnowman posted:

Bleeding out my country to own the Russians.

Literally, yes. Fascism is a death drive.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

VoicesCanBe posted:

yeah, but most ukrainians aren't that dedicated and will just go "well, guess im not gonna live in ukraine anymore good luck with all that byeee"

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

R. Mute posted:

yeah, but most ukrainians aren't that dedicated and will just go "well, guess im not gonna live in ukraine anymore good luck with all that byeee"

lol 'most'. I'd love to see some hard stats but i'm guessing the ones that got out were people with a) spare cash b) middle class manager types/computer touchers c) well connected

i doubt many working class people were able to just up and leave at short notice

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

The handful of Ukrainians I know in the US that aren't computer touchers express a combination of being upset their country got invaded and don't really give a gently caress if their country is joined to Russia in the long term.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Slavvy posted:

Canada is a gas station without nukes

A poorly armed maple syrup factory.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

lol 'most'. I'd love to see some hard stats but i'm guessing the ones that got out were people with a) spare cash b) middle class manager types/computer touchers c) well connected

i doubt many working class people were able to just up and leave at short notice
weird "all refugees are middle class" stance, but okay. if things get bad enough, people just leave. it's not like every dinghy crossing the mediterranean is filled with it-consultants. and ukrainians have the added advantage of western europe sort of kinda being more open to letting them in, as well as them not having to pass through human trafficking networks to cross the mediterranean.

and speaking from personal experience, ive met a fair few ukrainians working construction here in belgium who worked the exact same job in ukraine

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

What few Ukrainian cars I've seen here were typically closer to Lexus and Land Rover than Renault and Volkswagen, yes.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
https://twitter.com/carlbildt/status/1733972978721849584

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Odessa is Russian.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Stairmaster posted:

A Russian wounded vet or a Ukrainian wounded vet?

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

The azov sea is rightfully ottoman.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Thoguh posted:

The label I read was "Ukranian deputy".

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

I agree with this except for the pejorative description of Pakistan.

Punjab is Asia's Galicia. Sorry you had to find out this way

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Thoguh posted:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ukraine-councilor-sets-off-grenades-meeting-captured-on-video/

A Ukrainian village councilor set off hand grenades at a meeting in an attack that was captured on video and left 26 people wounded, the country's national police said Friday. The incident took place Friday morning at the headquarters of the village council of Keretsky, in western Ukraine's mountainous Zakarpattia region.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

spacetoaster posted:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ukraine-councilor-sets-off-grenades-meeting-captured-on-video/

A Ukrainian village councilor set off hand grenades at a meeting in an attack that was captured on video and left 26 people wounded, the country's national police said Friday. The incident took place Friday morning at the headquarters of the village council of Keretsky, in western Ukraine's mountainous Zakarpattia region.

Video is all over twitter and shows the explosion so look out for that.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Megamissen posted:

now i support russia taking all of ukraine and fully entering the union state with belarus because the borders would look nice

Well there is that little matter of Kaliningrad.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

For those who are unfamiliar with Carl Bildt.

quote:

Foreign minister Carl Bildt might be charged with crimes against international law according to the prosecutor Magnus Elving it is likely that a preliminary investigation begins in Sudan regarding Lundin Petroleum's involvement in the war that killed 12.000 people. Carl Bildt was a member of the company's board of directors during part of the war.

https://www.expressen.se/nyheter/carl-bildt-kan-atalas-for-brott-mot-folkratten/

quote:

Can you become a millionaire on genocide, Carl Bildt?

What did Carl Bildt really know about the areas where Lundin was drilling for oil in South Sudan? Maj Wechselmann, director of the film "Carl Bildt - a credible man?", on Bildt's possible involvement in the human rights violations for which Lundin Oil board members are currently being investigated.

What did Carl Bildt really know about the areas where Lundin was drilling for oil in South Sudan? 12 000 civilians were murdered, 120 000 civilian men women and children were displaced by government troops and militias, who bombed their huts and slaughtered their animals. Many fled voluntarily into the swamps to escape the militias on horseback. They fell victim to starvation and sand flies. They sat down and died, as a former director of Médecins Sans Frontières put it.

Carl Bildt, a former board member of Lundin Oil, could not fail to know this. He had met and been personally warned by the UN Special Rapporteur in Sudan, Gerhart Baum, the former Interior Minister of Germany. "You are throwing oil on the fire, you have to get out! Oil production is a threat to peace", Baum told me in an interview that I filmed in Cologne (the prosecutor in the case, Magnus Elving, requested and received the interview from me). A long series of reports from the area, reports from the UN, from Human Rights Watch, from Doctors Without Borders, from the Canadian government confirm: the oil drilling in the area has given rise to the terrible situation in the area.

https://www.flamman.se/kan-man-bli-miljonar-pa-folkmord-carl-bildt/

quote:

In a rare case for a Western company, two top executives from Lundin Energy of Sweden were indicted on Thursday for complicity in grave war crimes committed in Sudan between 1999 and 2003, when the Sudanese army allegedly indiscriminately killed civilians to pave way for Lundin’s oil exploration, prosecutors argue.

A consortium led by Lundin had been looking for oil from 1997 in an area called Block 5A in Sudan that was not controlled by the government. After the country split in 2011, the area is now in South Sudan.

This took place against the backdrop of a civil war between the government forces and southern guerilla groups which was characterized by war crimes.

As the country opened up for oil exploration, oil and control of the oil fields in southern Sudan became contentious issues in the civil war, the indictment points out.

Lundin requested in 1999 that the government forces and its allied militias provide for the company’s security where it was drilling for oil, knowing that this would be done by force, according to the indictment.

”Military control of the area was necessary for the company to conduct its operations and that is when the crimes were committed,” Henrik Attorps, head prosecutor in the case, told OCCRP.

The executives thus knowingly paved the way for, or were at least indifferent to, the war crimes that followed, prosecutors argue.

They claim thousands of civilians were killed or misplaced.

”The military and its allied militia systematically attacked civilians from planes and helicopter gunships,” Attorps said.

Lundin and Schneiter risk lengthy prison terms if convicted. They deny the charges.

The case is also drawing attention because Sweden’s former Prime Minister, later also Foreign Minister, Carl Bildt has been heavily criticized for being on Lundin’s board during the Sudan operations. Bildt has been questioned by police, but is not a suspect. Prosecutor Attorps confirmed that he is a witness in the case.

”The Lundin case is in my view of fundamental importance,” said Klaus Rackwitz, director of the International Nuremberg Principles Academy, prior to the indictment. The Nuremberg Academy is a German foundation dedicated to the advancement of international law.

”National jurisdictions must become the backbone of international criminal law, not the few international courts and tribunals. Sweden has realized this” and is ”an example to other countries,” Rackwitz said.

Sweden, among other mainly Western countries, applies universal jurisdiction for war crimes. It means that it can investigate the worst crimes that humanity knows wherever and by whoever they have allegedly been committed.

”An indictment, and especially if there are guilty verdicts, means that legal history is made,” said Inger Österdahl, professor of international law at the University of Uppsala in Sweden.

”Then the name Lundin will be mentioned along with the German company names whose representatives were convicted of crimes after World War II. Those companies delivered gas to the gas chambers or used prisoners in concentration camps as slave labour. Not very flattering company for Lundin Oil,” she said ahead of the indictment which was highly anticipated.
https://www.occrp.org/en/daily/15484-swedish-oil-execs-indicted-for-complicity-in-war-crimes

quote:

September 5, 2023

Trial starts in Sweden of 2 oil executives accused of complicity in war crimes in Sudan
STOCKHOLM (AP) — Two executives of a Swedish oil exploration and production company went on trial Tuesday in Stockholm for securing the company’s operations in Sudan through their alleged complicity in war crimes in 20 years ago.

Caption: Ian Lundin speaks to journalists in the Stockholm district court in Stockholm, Tuesday Sept. 5, 2023. The trial started Tuesday in Stockholm of two executives of a Swedish oil exploration and production company, accused of complicity in the military’s war crimes in Sudan 20 years ago by securing the company’s oil operations in the African nation. Ian Lundin, former chairman of Lundin Oil, and Alex Schneiter, its former CEO, are accused of complicity in grave war crimes in Sudan from 1999 to 2003.

https://apnews.com/article/sweden-sudan-oil-trial-lundin-dcd1e1291c3609608db69c9918578e08

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
https://twitter.com/aidefranceukr/status/1735691672749572238

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

lmao

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

The big lesson for China in all of this is just how hilariously incompetent the West is at maintaining war production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Ukrainians just had an article out bitching about CAESAR as well, and Nexter isn't making the much more reliable LG-1 because France had one factory that can make cannon, evidently.