Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

I think Ford used to license the hybrid design from Toyota

This whole situation is a little weird, honestly. Ford's hybrid design infringed on a number of Toyotas patents. To resolve the situation they did a patent swap. Ford got free reign to use Toyota's hybrid patents and in exchange Toyota got a number of Ford's diesel patents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
It's a planetary eCVT a'la Prius. Supposedly it can do the kind of dumb fake shifting if you put it in Sport or Tow/Haul mode, but I didn't really notice the times I've tried it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Kraftwerk posted:

I have a friend who just had 1 kid. Not planning on anymore and for *reasons* they bought a Palisade.

I’m probably dumb enough to try and get two car seats into something the size of a VW Golf eventually, we already get one in there and it’s fine. we’ll see how long that experiment lasts before I upgrade to a wagon.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
IIRC doesn’t the Ecoboost have independent rear suspension and the hybrid gets torsion beam?

Q_res posted:

Ford got free reign to use Toyota's hybrid patents and in exchange Toyota got a number of Ford's diesel patents.

I feel like Ford’s the real winner here, still.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

Is it a real cvt or a ecvt like the Prius? I think the Toyota supposedly drives like a conventional auto but I've never driven over.

I think Ford used to license the hybrid design from Toyota

Yeah it's an eCVT, we own an Avalon hybrid with one as well, and altho it's not as bad as some CVTs I have driven (Nissan ugh) it's still a CVT and does not feel like a regular transmission at all.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

The Meat Dimension posted:

IIRC doesn’t the Ecoboost have independent rear suspension and the hybrid gets torsion beam?

Only if it's an AWD EcoBoost.

Edit: Also the guy who's been doing a bunch of crazy powertrain mods like installing Ranger/Corsair 2.3L turbos and then a full 2.3L engine to break into the high-11's 1/4mi just recently reported an F-150 console shifter directly plugs in to the Maverick (still needs brackets and relocating drive mode buttons) if you just can't stand a rotary dial shifter. Didn't mention if it does the fold down trick.

darnon fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Dec 15, 2023

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I think if I was going to upgrade I'd go ahead and do the AWD with 4k towing package if I could get one at an un-inflated reasonable price.

[e] looks like there's an AWD XL with the towing package near me for 28k, not bad I need to go drive it

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 15, 2023

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Guess who has a hosed transmission :suicide:

Will be a day or two while the shop diagnoses my problem, but ughhh I dunno what to do. I'm already $6K into this E91 refreshing the suspension and some gaskets. Feels stupid to consider getting rid of it after dumping that much into it, but I imagine this isn't going to be cheap. And it'll probably still need more work next year.

Are there any well equipped non-plugin hybrids? I rent so anything plugin is a nonstarter. After a mediocre experience with a Fiesta ST, a bad experience with a Focus RS and now a money pit used German car I think I've finally hit the point where I just want Cheap & Dependable :( I barely even drive anymore

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 15, 2023

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Will be a day or two while the shop diagnoses my problem, but ughhh I dunno what to do. I'm already $6K into this E91 refreshing the suspension and some gaskets. Feels stupid to consider getting rid of it after dumping that much into it, but I imagine this isn't going to be cheap. And it'll probably still need more work next year.

Are there any well equipped non-plugin hybrids? I rent so anything plugin is a nonstarter. I don't think the Corolla Hybrid. After a mediocre experience with a Fiesta ST, a bad experience with a Focus RS and now a money pit used German car I think I've finally hit the point where I just want Cheap & Dependable :( I barely even drive anymore

drat dude, you must be sucking all the bad luck out of the atmosphere and keeping my cars working. If you get a dependable car, mine will all start going to poo poo.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sab669 posted:

Are there any well equipped non-plugin hybrids? I rent so anything plugin is a nonstarter. After a mediocre experience with a Fiesta ST, a bad experience with a Focus RS and now a money pit used German car I think I've finally hit the point where I just want Cheap & Dependable :( I barely even drive anymore

You can get third gen and up Priuses decently equipped with the right packages. Look at the fusion hybrid though. The titanium trim is super nice and it’s the aforementioned knockoff Toyota drivetrain. 2013 to some point in 2016 can have a transmission bearing issue but they’re supposed to be pretty reliable outside of that.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I saw what looked like a Mustang Mach-e with an unpainted body kit. turns out it was a Subaru Solterra

definitely some homework copying.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Powershift posted:

I saw what looked like a Mustang Mach-e with an unpainted body kit. turns out it was a Subaru Solterra

“Yeah, just flip the grill over so it doesn’t look like you copied”

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Why is the fender unpainted plastic?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mustache Ride posted:

Because that means it's rugged and off-road and can carry a kayak.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Mustache Ride posted:

The black plastic wheel arches have metastasized and spread to the fenders

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Jesus, the front end would be 100% too busy even without the advancement of the Ugly Black Trim battlefront.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

fknlo posted:

You can get third gen and up Priuses decently equipped with the right packages. Look at the fusion hybrid though. The titanium trim is super nice and it’s the aforementioned knockoff Toyota drivetrain. 2013 to some point in 2016 can have a transmission bearing issue but they’re supposed to be pretty reliable outside of that.

I thought all flavors of Prius were plugin? Dunno if I'd want a decade old one though, aren't they prone to needign an expensive battery pack replacement?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Sab669 posted:

I thought all flavors of Prius were plugin? Dunno if I'd want a decade old one though, aren't they prone to needign an expensive battery pack replacement?

Most prius aren’t plug-in. Just the Prime, IIRC.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

You don’t have to plug in a plugin.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
And if you're in a CARB state and the vehicle is of the right emissions category (SULEV/PZEV) you may have up to a 15 year, 150k mile warranty that still covers stuff like the battery. Plug-ins also have the advantage of the up to $4k Used EV credit applying to them.

Although the plug-in Fusion Energi suffers from particularly miserable trunk space because of the larger battery. If you can get past the looks the C-MAX Energi is better for retaining cargo space and has the same drivetrain; a bit more economy-car sized and equipped however.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Guinness posted:

The black plastic wheel arches have metastasized and spread to the fenders

I'm debating buying a Ridgeline in the next couple of weeks and one thing I'm debating is if I want the plastic faux fender flares or not. Its not an "offroad" or "rugged" vehicle but I can't say I don't like how they look, and its bothering the bits of me that are normally PURE FUNCTION OVER FORM.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Powershift posted:

Genuinely thought the top one way a Toyota Bz4x :v:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
They're the same car

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

boxen posted:

I'm debating buying a Ridgeline in the next couple of weeks and one thing I'm debating is if I want the plastic faux fender flares or not. Its not an "offroad" or "rugged" vehicle but I can't say I don't like how they look, and its bothering the bits of me that are normally PURE FUNCTION OVER FORM.

I'm pretty happy not having them, makes the truck look really clean.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

PneumonicBook posted:

I'm pretty happy not having them, makes the truck look really clean.

I agree. I think they make the truck look like poo poo. They dont flow right with the rest of the truck at all.
When my dad was thinking of upgrading his Ridgeline he actually thought the new HPD package was on all Ridgelines and gave up his search because he thought it looked bad.

Im glad the new model year finally upgraded the infotainment but Im still upset they didnt fix the tri zone and ventilated seats missing when those still both exist in Canada.
I hope the Ridgeline gets a 3rd Gen with some form of hybrid or something.

Get one boxen. And become bed speaker homies!

Franco Caution fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Dec 15, 2023

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Sab669 posted:

They aren't completely free of faults, but the battery on every Toyota hybrid is incredibly understressed. At least the non-plugin ones, mine goes between 40% and 60% and never charges or discharges below or above that.

Scrungus
Nov 21, 2022

Sab669 posted:

See if you can find a low-mile late model ford fusion hybrid titanium. Cooled seats, radar cruise, lane keeping, and CarPlay for under 20k

They get 40mpg mixed realistically.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I have a strong bias against Ford after some dumb poo poo with my Fiesta ST and extra dumb poo poo with my FoRS :(

...But yea paying new-car-money for a Prius at this point in my life also seems stupid. Sigh.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sab669 posted:

I have a strong bias against Ford after some dumb poo poo with my Fiesta ST and extra dumb poo poo with my FoRS :(

...But yea paying new-car-money for a Prius at this point in my life also seems stupid. Sigh.

Understandable. Lexus/Toyota Hybrids have held value stupidly well, especially with the dumb as gently caress used car prices of the past couple years. When I was searching earlier in the year you couldn't touch a 4th gen Prius with less than 150k miles for anything less than $20k. Same for the Camry and Lexus stuff but obviously even more expensive. The fusion was absolutely the best deal, especially for the equipment levels. I drive a lot and wanted the creature comforts. I looked at one in late Spring that I probably would have grabbed but it was the year before carplay was available and it's a process to upgrade so I passed. I ended up in an F30 330i that was a pretty decent deal and have been happy so far. It'll still dump all of its coolant at some point, but the main culprit for that had already been fixed under recall.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, that does seem like a lot of car for ~$20K. Dunno guess I'm gonna wait and see what the shop says about the E91 and I'll probably hold onto it a bit longer, but ugh. Also there are zero Hybrid Fusions within like 200 miles of me lol

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I have a crush on the Prius C, but I don’t dare to look at prices.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Full Collapse posted:

I have a crush on the Prius C, but I don’t dare to look at prices.

I wouldn’t. I’ve driven them a few times (Japan market Aqua), they always feel mushy and soft compared to a Fit or Demio/Mazda2. And those aren’t exactly race cars.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

If you’re in Japan you should obviously be driving a Honda S660

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Franco Caution posted:

I agree. I think they make the truck look like poo poo. They dont flow right with the rest of the truck at all.
When my dad was thinking of upgrading his Ridgeline he actually thought the new HPD package was on all Ridgelines and gave up his search because he thought it looked bad.

Im glad the new model year finally upgraded the infotainment but Im still upset they didnt fix the tri zone and ventilated seats missing when those still both exist in Canada.
I hope the Ridgeline gets a 3rd Gen with some form of hybrid or something.

Get one boxen. And become bed speaker homies!

I thought the 24s had ventilated seats? It looks like the 24s got rid of the in bed audio as well as changed the center 5o be a more traditional center console, no more arm rests. Not sure about those changes tbh. Hopefully in 25 we get a whole new refresh.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Maybe I'm wrong. I just did a find on page for 'ventilated' right when they put up the configuration and didn't see it. Hondas configuration page us poo poo though so maybe it's hidden or not mentioned.

Ouch, at losing the little arms for the seats. I love those, and they would be missed.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Powershift posted:

I kinda like that more than the Mach-E, but I am a sick individual with a thing for large swaths of unpainted grey plastic.

Scrungus posted:

See if you can find a low-mile late model ford fusion hybrid titanium. Cooled seats, radar cruise, lane keeping, and CarPlay for under 20k

The hybrid fusions are realistically probably the only ones worth considering too. Large numbers of the 1.5 and 2.0 Ecoboosts have issues with coolant intrusion into the cylinders due to a funky deck design that was supposedly solved in the 2020my (the last year) when they updated the cooling passages in the block. A ton of people have needed completely new engines.

Mostly everyone on the fusion subreddit seems to like their hybrids, but I don't blame people for being thoroughly in the "gently caress Ford" camp anymore.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 16, 2023

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Just a few days left to play The Sheep Game!

Click our mission patch to get reported by some fuckin nerd who needs a swirlie play today!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Its not new car news, but its car news:
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/12/19/tesla-drivers-had-highest-accident-rate-bmw-drivers-most-duis-study.html

Highlights:

quote:

With 24 accidents per 1,000 drivers during the period from mid-November 2022 to mid-November 2023, Tesla drivers clocked in with the worst accident rate in the U.S., according to a study by Lending Tree, ahead of Ram and Subaru drivers.

BMW drivers were the most likely to engage in driving under the influence, the researchers found, with 3 DUIs per 1,000 drivers in a year, about twice the rate of DUIs among Ram drivers, who were the second worst drivers in this regard

It’s hard to nail down why certain brands may have higher accident rates than others. However, there are indications that certain types of vehicles attract riskier drivers than others

By contrast, drivers of Pontiac, Mercury and Saturn vehicles were all involved in fewer than 10 accidents per 1,000 drivers during the period of the study.

For driving incidents overall, which included not only accidents but also DUIs, speeding and other citations, Ram drivers had the highest incident rate, while Tesla drivers had the second-highest incident rate in the U.S.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

What a beaut :allears:

I always said the only way to make a Multipla look even better is to inject it with botox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Lol

quote:

By contrast, drivers of Pontiac, Mercury and Saturn vehicles were all involved in fewer than 10 accidents per 1,000 drivers during the period of the study.

3 dead car brands have the lowest rates? Ya don't say