Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Fil5000 posted:

You can't change the story like that, people have to act in character.

I must find the clicker. This is a nightmare. A horror story. A dark tale, twisted by the psyches of the goons. They refuse to accept reality. No! I will not succumb. A hero. I need a hero. Heroes and victims and monsters. The forums are infested by darkness. I'm stumbling down the threads, looking for a clear answer, for something to hold onto. "The plot of this game has too many incomprehensible subtext even though it is all completely text and I refuse to read them as presented!" the goons cry. I will defy them. I must find the clicker. I'm the hero. The hero must pay the price. My 50/50 eyesight will be the price. I have found the clicker. "Are you sure you want to exit dark mode?" the forum software says. Yes. I hesitate, but yes. Yes. Click.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I must find the clicker. This is a nightmare. A horror story. A dark tale, twisted by the psyches of the goons. They refuse to accept reality. No! I will not succumb. A hero. I need a hero. Heroes and victims and monsters. The forums are infested by darkness. I'm stumbling down the threads, looking for a clear answer, for something to hold onto. "The plot of this game has too many incomprehensible subtext even though it is all completely text and I refuse to read them as presented!" the goons cry. I will defy them. I must find the clicker. I'm the hero. The hero must pay the price. My 50/50 eyesight will be the price. I have found the clicker. "Are you sure you want to exit dark mode?" the forum software says. Yes. I hesitate, but yes. Yes. Click.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Alan Wake 2 NG+ update is out, with bonus extra lore!

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Basic Chunnel posted:

You misunderstand me. I don’t mean to say that FROM invented that. How could they have? They weren’t involved in the development of Death Stranding, the original Strand game which preceded the entire genre we all know and love.

god shut up you pseud

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I have yet to play Alan Wake 2 (I'm getting the last pieces of my new rig together) and I saw an IGN article about how unclear it is if it sold well or not and I desperately want AW2 to do well...

I don't know if it's game journalism being game journalism or if Epic exclusivity hosed them over, which would suck considering the Epic funding is what helped AW2 even happen.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I have yet to play Alan Wake 2 (I'm getting the last pieces of my new rig together) and I saw an IGN article about how unclear it is if it sold well or not and I desperately want AW2 to do well...

I don't know if it's game journalism being game journalism or if Epic exclusivity hosed them over, which would suck considering the Epic funding is what helped AW2 even happen.

This seems like a really pointless thing to fret about given that there's literally no way of knowing. It's not like their games under performing sales wise has ever stopped Remedy before.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Blockhouse posted:

This seems like a really pointless thing to fret about given that there's literally no way of knowing. It's not like their games under performing sales wise has ever stopped Remedy before.

You're absolutely right, I pointlessly fret quite a bit. Thank you though, that does help!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

it has a sale now so you can get it now too

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/...genumber%3D1362

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Oh drat, thank you for the heads up! That's a steal

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Yeah that rules. Thanks for posting

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

On sale so quickly? Not a good sign, financially. Remedy probs shutting down in the next year or so.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

oldpainless posted:

On sale so quickly? Not a good sign, financially. Remedy probs shutting down in the next year or so.

On sale for $10 off but Epic does holiday sale coupons where you can get 33% off any game.

With the same deal you can get Hogwarts Legacy, Lords of the Fallen, Remnant 2, and Mortal Kombat 1 for cheaper than Alan Wake 2.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Yeah, its Epic paying for it. They are burning tons money to try and make the Epic store more than a Fortnite platform and failing utterly at doing that.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Thank you, gentle Goon.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I have read some stuff about Wake 2 underperforming Control but it feels like there is a good chance all the praise will give it a longer tail.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't think Alan Wake 2 was ever going to be a megaseller, the fact that a sequel even got made was a bit of a shock.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

I have read some stuff about Wake 2 underperforming Control but it feels like there is a good chance all the praise will give it a longer tail.

Being digital-exclusive is probably hurting it too, compared to a combination of physical and digital salea.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Being digital-exclusive is probably hurting it too, compared to a combination of physical and digital salea.

Probably, combined with being Epic exclusive.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

ImpAtom posted:

That isn't too surprising, it's a sequel for a cult hit from 14 years ago with some questionable design if you aren't Into That Stuff. Control was a new IP based off a very active online fan community (ie SCP).

Even with all the good writing and new gameplay changes I honestly think the game is probably a bit of a hard sell if you aren't already invested in the series

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Yeah, its Epic paying for it. They are burning tons money to try and make the Epic store more than a Fortnite platform and failing utterly at doing that.

If Epic wants to subsidize half the cost of my game purchases then I'd be happy to buy it on their platform. The thing they are missing is that I'm not going to then buy anything else on top of that.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

CuddleCryptid posted:

That isn't too surprising, it's a sequel for a cult hit from 14 years ago with some questionable design if you aren't Into That Stuff. Control was a new IP based off a very active online fan community (ie SCP).

Even with all the good writing and new gameplay changes I honestly think the game is probably a bit of a hard sell if you aren't already invested in the series

If Epic wants to subsidize half the cost of my game purchases then I'd be happy to buy it on their platform and nothing else.

I bought AW2 based solely on my enjoyment of Control, idk if you really need to be a fan of the original or have seen it at all.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

CuddleCryptid posted:

If Epic wants to subsidize half the cost of my game purchases then I'd be happy to buy it on their platform. The thing they are missing is that I'm not going to then buy anything else on top of that.

Epic's entire business model was apparently 'if we give away free stuff we'll capture 50% of the online PC game market' despite them taking loving ages to add a shopping cart to their store.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Free games might have been a better gambit had they not hit the scene after a solid decade of Steam sales cluttering up the inventories of inveterate PC gamers. I ended up finally getting the client for free Hitman 1 just so I could start the game from scratch again.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The only reason i've not bought Alan Wake is because its on Epic. If i buy a game, i'm buying it on steam.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Fil5000 posted:

Epic's entire business model was apparently 'if we give away free stuff we'll capture 50% of the online PC game market' despite them taking loving ages to add a shopping cart to their store.

It's 2023 and the Switch still doesn't have a cart

dogstile posted:

The only reason i've not bought Alan Wake is because its on Epic. If i buy a game, i'm buying it on steam.

Still gonna lol at people acting like the epic store is some whole new system that they just can't access

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Len posted:

It's 2023 and the Switch still doesn't have a cart

Still gonna lol at people acting like the epic store is some whole new system that they just can't access

I've been collecting free games and buying the odd exclusive on there like AW2, I just prefer steam because I have more stuff on there and it's generally a smoother experience than Epic or GOG.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Yeah, Epic's a bit of a pain to deal with, but not enough to avoid a game I really want. Steam's getting to be more of a pain, too, it feels pretty common for newer games to have their own publisher's launcher that stacks on top of it, so Epic really doesn't feel much different in the end.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Given the existence of the steam deck now and that it's a pain getting egs stuff to run on it (sometimes it works sometimes it won't) I don't blame people for wanting to stick with just steam.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I remember shady user data policies when it came out sort of stumbling the start, but that didn’t stop me from firing it up to get extra (free) copies of indie games I already loved and indier games I’ll never play.

But mainly it was a thing of, by that point I had come to realize the virtues of minimizing the number of apps that launched on startup, and if there was an app I was going to always have open, it was going to be Steam. Also Steam didn’t do desktop notification ads (tbf they might exist and I just don’t remember disabling them on the OS level)

When Hitman II came out as an Epic PC exclusive I was definitely firing it up, but only through the H2 desktop shortcut.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

To their credit, Epic’s hubris may well have kept a few AAA independent studios alive when they otherwise might have collapsed or been acquired — Remedy and IO being the big examples — but otoh that same hubris also set Bandcamp on a path to ruin. So who’s to say if they’re good or not?

Perhaps not as noble a misfire of gaming finance as Private Division, which likewise propped up indie+ devs and had a big hit in The Outer Worlds, only for Microsoft to (presumably) cut them out of future profits on the franchise bc PD explicitly set out to give its devs rights to the IP, and MS acquired the devs… an extraordinary and good policy, but presumably one investor types would come to hate. They’re still at it, though.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

They even give you the Alan Wake 1 remastered for free with that.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Didn’t they do that as a weekly thing too? Or was that the original release version? American Nightmare was definitely a giveaway

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Remastered is the bad version anyway because you lose out on the stupidly amazing product placement.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

SirSamVimes posted:

Remastered is the bad version anyway because you lose out on the stupidly amazing product placement.

See people keep saying it's stupid, but you name one other battery that let's you focus the light beam of any flash light and also regenerates its charge. You can't because there isn't one :colbert:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Len posted:

See people keep saying it's stupid, but you name one other battery that let's you focus the light beam of any flash light and also regenerates its charge. You can't because there isn't one :colbert:

Duracell can't dispel the impenetrable barrier of shadow surrounding evil presences like Energizer™ can.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Pro tip: if you want to know what “Ahti, but good” looks like, Fargo Season 5

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Basic Chunnel posted:

Pro tip: if you want to know what “Ahti, but good” looks like, Fargo Season 5

I literally only just found out a couple days ago that there was a season of Fargo currently airing, I'm trying to decide whether to jump in or wait until it's mostly/all out. I've heard good things about it, but I thought the series was dead after season 4 - I tried and failed to get into that one a couple times, it just felt extremely slow paced at the start compared to earlier seasons.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Captain Hygiene posted:

I literally only just found out a couple days ago that there was a season of Fargo currently airing, I'm trying to decide whether to jump in or wait until it's mostly/all out. I've heard good things about it, but I thought the series was dead after season 4 - I tried and failed to get into that one a couple times, it just felt extremely slow paced at the start compared to earlier seasons.

I recommend watching now. I think even more than other seasons this one benefits from week to week viewing. As much as I hate waiting and binging there is something to be said for the slow burn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

At the very least I think there's broad agreement it's better than seasons 3 and 4. I guess you could call it a "return to form"; even if the remixing and pastiche of Coen movie elements is just as blatant as it's always been (the aforementioned Ahti guy is sort of a cross between Anton Chigurh and that guy from The Big Lebowski who holds Maude's trampoline and makes insane faces at the camera for like ten seconds -- he is sorely missed whenever he's offscreen) it is pointing mostly toward the Fargo film, and the thriller / neo-noir elements are very well paced and shot.