Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
https://twitter.com/DeadbyDaylight/status/1735736565010235479?t=HbQ_XD55cM_BIVWyw6HfQA&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Figure the real answer there is they'll never do cross progression because they can filch more money out of people making them buy their stuff all over again, but they won't be saying that one out loud

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

I'd rather pay for all my DLC a second time than to have to re-level all my characters, perks, etc.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

BrewingTea posted:

I'd rather pay for all my DLC a second time than to have to re-level all my characters, perks, etc.

Extremely same. I'm not going through that grind again.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DeathChicken posted:

Figure the real answer there is they'll never do cross progression because they can filch more money out of people making them buy their stuff all over again, but they won't be saying that one out loud

I don't think it's really them, it's more likely that Sony and Microsoft don't want you playing with content you didn't buy on their platform. I think that's the point of that question "We can't do cross progression because of archaic contracts, but if we implemented it this way would you still want it"

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Medullah posted:

I don't think it's really them, it's more likely that Sony and Microsoft don't want you playing with content you didn't buy on their platform. I think that's the point of that question "We can't do cross progression because of archaic contracts, but if we implemented it this way would you still want it"

It is almost certainly this.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Wow, what an original idea for a new game mode!

Medullah posted:

Other games have done cross progression on consoles, though.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Medullah posted:

For that matter, it could just be that the dlc system wasn't designed to work across consoles and updating it would require ripping out a lot of fundamental code. You know, like how crossplay is pretty common in fighting games now because they're designed around it initially but Killer Instinct can't have full crossplay because the Xbox Live code it was built on fundamentally can't work with Steam.

There's a lot of reasons for this specifically to be out of Behavior's hands, is the point.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Lurks With Wolves posted:

For that matter, it could just be that the dlc system wasn't designed to work across consoles and updating it would require ripping out a lot of fundamental code. You know, like how crossplay is pretty common in fighting games now because they're designed around it initially but Killer Instinct can't have full crossplay because the Xbox Live code it was built on fundamentally can't work with Steam.

That's... different though, and almost certainly not applicable here. For one, DBD has cross-platform play, so communicating between platforms is obviously not an issue. For another, the game already communicates with BHVR's central servers regardless of platform. It could also sync purchases and progression from that server regardless of platform.

I'm not saying this is something they can throw together in an afternoon, but "syncing purchases and progression between platforms" is a lot less complicated than matchmaking and network play between different network architectures.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

They've been talking about cross-progression for years. You can even go to their website and link your various accounts together. It doesn't actually DO anything, but since that was planned & stalled, my money would be on "contractual fuckery with Sony, MS, etc."

Comedy option: When you link your accounts, they give you 30 billion BP so you can manually get your progress back.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Lurks With Wolves posted:

There's a lot of reasons for this specifically to be out of Behavior's hands, is the point.

For characters Dead by Daylight uses a simple save file that's (now) server sided. It's changing a 0 to a 1 and vise versa, nearly literally.

I chose hide and seek as the most exciting new mode, and I told them if I can't play with my dlc I don't want cross progression at all. Oh well.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

The various game modes in the survey -

12 Game Modes are currently being asked about by BHVR in their recent Player Satisfaction Survey!

There’s no promise we’ll get these, but they have already revealed new limited-time gamemodes will be apart of Events soon.

- 5v5 -
• Two teams of 4 Survivors and 1 Killer face off to control the Generators
• Capture the Generators by moving Generator progress towards you team’s side in a tug of war gameplay

- 2v8 Party -
• 2 Killers against 8 Survivors
• Hooks are removed, but Cages of Atonement prevail

- Hide and Seek -
• No Generators
• No Hooks, only Moris when downed
• Stay alive for 5 minutes to escape through the exit gates
• Auras are revealed every couple of seconds

- Tag -
• A random Survivor is picked to be the Killer
• Down a player to swap roles
• Survivor 5 minutes and Escape

- Zombie Tag -
• Once a Survivor turns to a Killer, they cannot turn back
• Keep playing until only one Survivor remains

- Swapped Perspective -
• Killers plays in third person, while Survivors play in first person.

- Deceivers -
• Survivors work together to complete tasks before one or more “Deceiver” can kill everyone without being discovered
• Played in rounds with voting in between

- Disgustingly Scary -
• The Fog is thicker and shrouded in darkness

- Luck of the Draw -
• Start the game with randomized Perks and Items

- Giant -
• Sizes are altered! Killers are turned into giants, while Survivors become tiny

- Bumrush -
• More Generators spawn on the map
• Everyone moves at double speed
• Survivors have 3 lives from which they revive after a 20-second timer

- VIP -
• When the Obsession is killed, everyone dies
• Only the Obsession can open the gates for everyone

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Oh my god the VIP mode. Get Down Mr. President real :allears:

The event continues to be awesome. Had a few killers throw outright so they could have silly snowball fights and it really is beautiful watching 3 survivors run around a killer like Nemesis throwing snowballs back and forth.

It adds levity even on more frustrating and arduous games like tunneling Wraiths or whatever - chasing after him while he tries to tunnel, yeeting snowballs at his back like you're jeering him with tomatoes.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I’m declaring this event to be Hatchmas. You must always give the last survivor the hatch.

I love nothing more than sitting in a snowman near a hatch, downing them before they make it, and letting them have it anyways.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Pants Donkey posted:

I’m declaring this event to be Hatchmas. You must always give the last survivor the hatch.

I love nothing more than sitting in a snowman near a hatch, downing them before they make it, and letting them have it anyways.
Every day is Hatchmas for me unless the survs act like dicks, in which case it's Han4Kkah.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Tiny Myers posted:

Every day is Hatchmas for me unless the survs act like dicks, in which case it's Han4Kkah.

How excited were you when you thought of that

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Medullah posted:

How excited were you when you thought of that

The excitement was quickly tempered by struggling to figure out how to format it in a way that made the joke read properly :negative:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
All of those extra game modes sound great. The game could afford to have two queues for Classic and Random Gimmick Mode.

5v5 in particular sounds hilarious. Running around killing survivors, pass by the other killer, give them a friendly gesture or a sour head shake. :laffo:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Only one that I think is a bad idea is VIP. You think tunneling is bad in the regular game!

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
Swapped perspective and Luck of the Draw are absolutely my two top choices there, and the 5v5 is a close third. First person survivor would be terrifying!

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Medullah posted:

Only one that I think is a bad idea is VIP. You think tunneling is bad in the regular game!

Yeah, I was thinking about how this might be miserable and get a lot of rage from teammates. That said, maybe it'd work if the killer didn't know who the VIP is, so you have to employ misdirection.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Tiny Myers posted:

Yeah, I was thinking about how this might be miserable and get a lot of rage from teammates. That said, maybe it'd work if the killer didn't know who the VIP is, so you have to employ misdirection.

I mean I think obviously tunnelling is the name of the game in VIP mode, its literally the point, and the other players must protect the hell out of them. The tradeoff for that mode should be something like "Its only three gens to complete"

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I got The Dredge a few days ago and this is absolutely my favorite killer to play as right now. Map pressure, anti-loop ability, nice info perks, the works! Nowhere to Hide slotted perfectly with him too.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Tiny Myers posted:

Oh my god the VIP mode. Get Down Mr. President real :allears:

The event continues to be awesome. Had a few killers throw outright so they could have silly snowball fights and it really is beautiful watching 3 survivors run around a killer like Nemesis throwing snowballs back and forth.

It adds levity even on more frustrating and arduous games like tunneling Wraiths or whatever - chasing after him while he tries to tunnel, yeeting snowballs at his back like you're jeering him with tomatoes.

Had a game against Iri Head Huntress who had us absolutely dead to rights until we started pelting her with snowballs, at which point she happily dropped everything and let us gently caress around with her for a while. Even let us all go in the end. It's stuff like this that makes me keep coming back to this game, even if it gets my blood pressure up.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I got The Dredge a few days ago and this is absolutely my favorite killer to play as right now. Map pressure, anti-loop ability, nice info perks, the works! Nowhere to Hide slotted perfectly with him too.

I like Dredge a lot but he is just WAY too map dependent. Got Haddonfield? Get hosed since there's no lockers on the road.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Medullah posted:

I like Dredge a lot but he is just WAY too map dependent. Got Haddonfield? Get hosed since there's no lockers on the road.

He's also loud as poo poo, for no discernible reason. Nightfall is great and everything but survivors can still hear you coming from a mile away. Snowman Dredge is one of the best skins in the entire game, though, so he has that going for him.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Relyssa posted:

Had a game against Iri Head Huntress who had us absolutely dead to rights until we started pelting her with snowballs, at which point she happily dropped everything and let us gently caress around with her for a while. Even let us all go in the end. It's stuff like this that makes me keep coming back to this game, even if it gets my blood pressure up.
You asserted dominance by throwing things back at her. This is the only mode of communication a Huntress respects.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Medullah posted:

- Zombie Tag -
• Once a Survivor turns to a Killer, they cannot turn back

• Keep playing until only one Survivor remains

The bolded lines don't make sense. Once you're the killer you can't be a survivor, but when the killer downs a survivor they swap.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

rydiafan posted:

The bolded lines don't make sense. Once you're the killer you can't be a survivor, but when the killer downs a survivor they swap.

They don't mean swap in the sense of the killer becoming a survivor, they just mean every downed survivor becomes a killer. So the entire team converts to killers one by one.

They reused some text from the first Tag description where you *do* swap so it's confusing, but that's the only reasonable conclusion and is how zombie tag generally works (the infection spreads and is irreversible).

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Medullah posted:

Ahh yeah I can see that. I haven't had Haddonfield on him yet.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Swapped Perspectives and Disgustingly Scary would rule for making the game more horror-like.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/addxctdbd/status/1736299041066201307?s=20

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Holy poo poo this owns.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me
Does this work on other dash user?

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

L.U.I.G.I posted:

Does this work on other dash user?

Meg?

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

I was thinking more of a Whesker and Chucky but now I'm interested to see the result

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

L.U.I.G.I posted:

I was thinking more of a Whesker and Chucky but now I'm interested to see the result

Also Pig

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
charles

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Had a killer game where all four survivors brought Bond. I don't think I've ever seen that happen before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

When I'm fighting a classy Chucky