Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

The Islamic Shock posted:

I'm not sure how I missed all that, holy poo poo.

Hey our client might be dumber than a sack of hammers AND the President but don't worry we won't let him actually do anything too dangerously stupid most of the time

Its much simpler to just assume trump said he wanted it declassified in public because it makes him look innocent while being horrified in private that it would get released to the public and ordering that it disappear and never be seen again.

Also, 99% it's buried in a plot at Bedminster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

SaTaMaS posted:

I'd assume there are digital backups of important classified material or this still the 1900s

I think it's actually pretty likely that nobody even knows what was in the binder in any detail. Digital copies add a lot of risk.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Randalor posted:

That article has nothing to do with Trump or Intel, but I'm happy that teacher was arrested. Someone with anger management issues like that (guy lost his poo poo when a student asked him to take down the Israeli flag because she thought it was offensive, swore at her repeatedly and threatened to behead her) has no business being anywhere near children in general, let alone in a classroom.

Well I hosed up that C&P, didn't I

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Fart Amplifier posted:

I think it's actually pretty likely that nobody even knows what was in the binder in any detail. Digital copies add a lot of risk.

...even the people who wrote it? Would it really have been assembled by hand from multiple sources by someone legally barred from laying eyes on any of it? Or by multiple people legally barred from laying eyes on the other parts of it?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Murgos posted:

Its much simpler to just assume trump said he wanted it declassified in public because it makes him look innocent while being horrified in private that it would get released to the public and ordering that it disappear and never be seen again.

Also, 99% it's buried in a plot at Bedminster.

The real reason he buried Ivana on his golf course.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Fuschia tude posted:

...even the people who wrote it? Would it really have been assembled by hand from multiple sources by someone legally barred from laying eyes on any of it? Or by multiple people legally barred from laying eyes on the other parts of it?

It’s 10 inches thick. It definitely came from different documents segregated from each other on NTK basis, and the person who was authorized to pull the set together for Trump certainly didn’t read it cover to cover.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Fuschia tude posted:

I can't imagine the people who write highly classified stuff know what physical binders it ends up in.

And yeah you can lay eyes on something but that doesn't mean you know what's in it in detail.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Possibly related to said binder?
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/05/us/politics/cia-informants-killed-captured.html

Seems odd there wouldn't be originals still around that the binder info was derived from. Unless it's more no one knows exactly what Jim-bo copied and stuffed into it.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

SaTaMaS posted:

I'd assume there are digital backups of important classified material or this still the 1900s

It's not a question of "are there backups". Of course there are backups. The issue is that we have no idea who now has access to this information. If means and sources are described in that binder--and the implication seems to lean towards "yes, they are"--that could burn years or decades of intelligence assets if found by the wrong people.

We already know anecdotally that the CIA lost a lot of HUMINT to hostile foreign intelligence agencies during Trump's presidency: far more than usual.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Ynglaur posted:

We already know anecdotally that the CIA lost a lot of HUMINT to hostile foreign intelligence agencies during Trump's presidency: far more than usual.

Let me show you this cool thing, it'll blow your mind. We've got some real great people all over the world feeding us this stuff. Get a load, isn't that your prime minister. Simply the greatest, A+ stuff hey let's go golf.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Ynglaur posted:

It's not a question of "are there backups". Of course there are backups. The issue is that we have no idea who now has access to this information. If means and sources are described in that binder--and the implication seems to lean towards "yes, they are"--that could burn years or decades of intelligence assets if found by the wrong people.

Has this been reported anywhere? I've heard it mentioned in the past, but always as an off-hand remark such as this one.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I was genuinely surprised that our intel heading into the Feb 2022 breakout of the Russia/Ukraine war was so good. I had figured every single US source we had in and around Russia had been compromised during the Trump administration.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

FMguru posted:

I was genuinely surprised that our intel heading into the Feb 2022 breakout of the Russia/Ukraine war was so good. I had figured every single US source we had in and around Russia had been compromised during the Trump administration.

i feel like its not hard to flip folks in a uber corrupt oligargy. i just kinda find it nuts that russia didnt really learn from afganistan, either their gently caress up or Ours.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

bird food bathtub posted:

The crime dilation effect is real. It was impossible to keep up with every individual crime, the next crime was approaching so fast that it would arrive simultaneous with the crime committed before it.

Like some kind of evil Picard Maneuver. A Trump-Card Maneuver?

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Ynglaur posted:

It's not a question of "are there backups". Of course there are backups.

There is no reason to assume this.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Fart Amplifier posted:

There may not be a reason to assume it but the news articles about it make it clear this is not the sole copy.

New York Times, today posted:

The substance of the material — a redacted version of which has since been made public under the Freedom of Information Act and is posted on the website of the F.B.I. — is not considered particularly sensitive, the official said.

But the raw version in the binder contained details that intelligence agencies believe could reveal secret sources and methods. (The publicly available version contains numerous portions that were whited out as classified.)

It is not clear if the missing material comprises the entire original binder of material provided to the White House for Mr. Trump’s team to review and declassify in part before leaving office.

Among other murky details, it is not known how many copies were made at the White House or how the government knows one set is missing.

[...]

A court filing he submitted in August described the binder as about 10 inches thick and containing about 2,700 pages. The publicly released version is 585 pages; it is not clear what accounts for the discrepancy.

Not to diminish the sensitivity/risk of the other 2000 odd pages being in the wind, but it's not like Trump (or whoever currently possesses it) has any sort of information the government no longer possesses, and people cleared to know what are in those 2000 pages also know what information was potentially leaked.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 15, 2023

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Fuschia tude posted:

Quick, I need you to regurgitate a 500,000+ word paper record only document you made 8 years ago and haven't been involved with since and be able to describe in perfect detail every source you pulled from because nobody can find it now.

Zapp Brannigan
Mar 29, 2006

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

Fuschia tude posted:

Absolutely it was assembled by hand from multiple sources, each on their own less damaging/classified, than when they are all together. That's the definition of SCI information. No other gears in the clock know what all the others are doing, just that when they do their job, the clock works. It makes perfect sense for a small number of people to have put the binder together by hand.

Fart Amplifier posted:

Right. Probably because there was no digital copy of it since it was likely assembled by hand. Also, given how much the IC poo poo their pants after the Snowden leaks poo poo. If it contains sources and methods, that poo poo is guarded like nuclear secrets and don't want some traitor to put that poo poo on a thumb drive and smuggle it out in their rear end.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Edge & Christian posted:

Not to diminish the sensitivity/risk of the other 2000 odd pages being in the wind, but it's not like Trump (or whoever currently possesses it) has any sort of information the government no longer possesses, and people cleared to know what are in those 2000 pages also know what information was potentially leaked.

Isn't this all digitized such that somebody, or maybe two somebodies, has access? And printing it out means you better have clearance and a good goddamn reason and also several signatures?

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

At the beginning of Trump's presidency, there were several reports of high ranking US intelligence assets in Russia going missing or simply winding up dead.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Freudian slippers posted:

At the beginning of Trump's presidency, there were several reports of high ranking US intelligence assets in Russia going missing or simply winding up dead.

Look, something about the Russian climate just randomly makes tea leaves radioactive. Not sure what else to tell you.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Eh, sometimes you go behind the door with the spin lock on it and there’s whole nation wide computer networks with IT support and etc…

Assuming that things are pieced together by hand or exist only in written form is not reasonable.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Freudian slippers posted:

Around Christmas 2016, Oleg Erovinkin was found dead in his car in the Red Square.

Heart attack.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

mdemone posted:

Around Christmas 2016, Oleg Erovinkin was found dead in his car in the Red Square.

Heart attack.

He was the coffee guy, I think. Never met him.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

mdemone posted:

Heart attack.

Sorry if this is a dumb question: In these situations, do they actually do something to give the target a heart attack or do they just shoot them and write down “heart attack”.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Wayne Knight posted:

Sorry if this is a dumb question: In these situations, do they actually do something to give the target a heart attack or do they just shoot them and write down “heart attack”.

https://youtu.be/J3Fva8HFRDg?si=3E0400gIwylv2uin

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

cr0y posted:

The DOJ should just put up a "reward if found" on that binder and watch the trump kids kill each other to be the first to return it.

They should call Romney, I heard he has binders

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Wayne Knight posted:

You can induce a heart attack with a high concentration injection of potassium ion, so potassium chloride etc. There are other ways you could achieve the result but if they can poison someone with polonium they can probably manage a quick poke for a cardiac arrest.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Digoxin between the toes is more likely but it comes to same effect.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I really wish I could find a citation but someone might be able to help me with this. I know back in the Trump days there was a report that essentially said we had someone deep in the Kremlin and Trumps stupidity burned them and the CIA or NSA or whatever had to pull them out because of it.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Zapp Brannigan posted:

Absolutely it was assembled by hand from multiple sources, each on their own less damaging/classified, than when they are all together. That's the definition of SCI information. No other gears in the clock know what all the others are doing, just that when they do their job, the clock works. It makes perfect sense for a small number of people to have put the binder together by hand.

Right. Probably because there was no digital copy of it since it was likely assembled by hand. Also, given how much the IC poo poo their pants after the Snowden leaks poo poo. If it contains sources and methods, that poo poo is guarded like nuclear secrets and don't want some traitor to put that poo poo on a thumb drive and smuggle it out in their rear end.

None of this makes sense. Everything is effectively put together by hand in the intelligence business. Everything is pulled together from multiple sources. It still get digitized anyways.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Agents are GO! posted:

They should call Romney, I heard he has binders

i thought that was McCain?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

PhazonLink posted:

i thought that was McCain?

No, McCain's bindings were in a POW camp. Romney had the binders of women.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Fuschia tude posted:

Remember that time Obama deliberately got it in front of the eyes of as many qualified government employees as possible before the transfer of power?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Wayne Knight posted:

The latter I'd bet. Gives the regime the bonus of seeing if anyone questions it, so they know who to disappear next.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Zapp Brannigan posted:

Like the scribes in the ancient monasteries the composer of the report is functionally illiterate and just copies the shapes of the letters without understanding what they mean.

Anyway, the reason why the binder was 10 inches thick is probably because some rear end in a top hat printed out the PowerPoint deck 1 enlarged slide per page because Trump is a Luddite who won’t touch computers and also probably is myopic but won’t wear glasses because he’s vain.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Dec 16, 2023

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Giuliani ordered to pay $148 mln to Georgia election workers in defamation trial

quote:

Rudy Giuliani must pay more than $148 million in damages to two former Georgia election workers he defamed through false accusations that they helped rig the 2020 election against Donald Trump, a jury decided on Friday.

The jury in federal court in Washington found that Giuliani owes the workers, Wandrea "Shaye" Moss and her mother Ruby Freeman, roughly $73 million to compensate them for the reputational and emotional harm they suffered and $75 million to punish the former Trump lawyer and one-time New York mayor for his conduct.

Whew boy

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I really appreciate how his lawyer argued that to impose the fine requested by Moss and Freeman of about $43mil would "be the end of Mr. Giuliani" and the jury heard that, and decided "Yes, actually, that eight-figure sum is totally unjust and out of proportion to what he did. We're giving him a nine-figure sum as a fine."

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Ms Adequate posted:

I really appreciate how his lawyer argued that to impose the fine requested by Moss and Freeman of about $43mil would "be the end of Mr. Giuliani" and the jury heard that, and decided [inflicts greater more ruinous carnage to him on purpose]

I do, actually, love to see it. like with alex jones. justice system absolutely tower-owlbear-slamdunk-from-the-top-rope someone who actually deserves it and puts them in hopefully unrecoverable poverty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

cr0y posted:

I really wish I could find a citation but someone might be able to help me with this. I know back in the Trump days there was a report that essentially said we had someone deep in the Kremlin and Trumps stupidity burned them and the CIA or NSA or whatever had to pull them out because of it.

Yeah, it may have been after the time he met with Putin in absolute privacy (and confiscated the translator's notes afterwards).