Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Fr the warband system seems a little broken, you can get chaos knights and chosen in a handful of turns and you never have to build anything to get them just a little research and xp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

For example, you can almost immediately start pumping out chaos warriors that would take a t4 building for, for example, tzeentch or slaanesh to recruit.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

jokes posted:

I think for them to partially refund the sales of their most recent game, those numbers aren't good. I mean, there's cynicism in business (where they're like "these idiots will pay twice as much") but for them to heel-toe they might have gotten a Very Serious Phone Call about how goodwill works. The fact that CA is a total joke who could give a gently caress about their consumers and can barely maintain their games is not a good place for a company that just spent however many millions on a video game they didn't even launch because nobody liked it.

It does reek of "overeager, young, cynical MBA" running the show. That or some older finance person who just takes sales for granted (and would be better off working at GW). Thing about games/tech companies is they are not as mature as they think they are.

In fairness, at least taking them at face value it sounds like they didn't realize it because no one would like it but because it would have taken a lot more work to get over the finish line and with people going outside again the live service games bubble has crashed.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

My guess is that sales for their recent endeavors have been much lower than expected so they need to change direction.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Oh yeag absolutrly that too. SOE probaly did alright in the shrot term hut burnt good will in the long term whcih isn't a good trade and Pharoah was extremely mid from all I've heard and didn't sell great.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Fr the warband system seems a little broken, you can get chaos knights and chosen in a handful of turns and you never have to build anything to get them just a little research and xp.

Yeah if you do end up doing a limited upgrade system for various non-Chaos factions I think you really need to do a better job of limiting those upgrades to when you normally could recruit those units. Turn it into more of a quality-of-life upgrade for anyone except maybe Brettonia, who not only have solid barriers preventing early upgrades in the form of the Grail system, but make the most thematic sense as well.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
God, Isabella and an army of mean girls is just not fair. It does make me appreciate Vlad being on foot, so I don't instantly lose

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah if you do end up doing a limited upgrade system for various non-Chaos factions I think you really need to do a better job of limiting those upgrades to when you normally could recruit those units. Turn it into more of a quality-of-life upgrade for anyone except maybe Brettonia, who not only have solid barriers preventing early upgrades in the form of the Grail system, but make the most thematic sense as well.

Agreed- Bretonnia should *only* have recruitment access to Knights-Errant and every other knight type needs to be promoted from there. They should also make each promotion shrink the regiment size more and more, until Grail Knights only have like 12 dudes each but together they can solo a Bloodthirster

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Agreed- Bretonnia should *only* have recruitment access to Knights-Errant and every other knight type needs to be promoted from there. They should also make each promotion shrink the regiment size more and more, until Grail Knights only have like 12 dudes each but together they can solo a Bloodthirster

That's literally a mod; Immersive Brettonia by the same guy who does the warbands for all factions IIRC

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Just copy the 3k recruitment system wholesale IMO

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Azran posted:

Just copy the 3k recruitment system wholesale IMO

Copy the whole diplomatic system too IMO.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

The Door Frame posted:

God, Isabella and an army of mean girls is just not fair. It does make me appreciate Vlad being on foot, so I don't instantly lose
The Unstoppable Force and the Immovable Object.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Squibbles posted:

That's strange. I play unmodded with a friend for probably 15+ hours per week and we have only had a couple of desyncs all year. We did start seeing some when we dipped into various mods like the old world campaign and mixu's stuff. And our connection isn't the strongest, we live on opposite coasts of Canada so nearly as far apart as is possible within north america.

There's a few common known desync bugs - the easiest one to work around is the attack effects desync bug, which usually happens when you get Ghorst's trait while already having flaming attacks or a sundering weapon. It can happen any time a lord or hero has multiple non-stacking on-hit effects, and the solution is just remove the multiple effects (using trait manager / respec mods or unequipping the offending item). Some of the older multiplayer bugs were fixed, but some of them still linger (like the end of battle results screen softlock).

The hardest one to work around, the campaign killer, is the AI turn desync bug. It's been on CA's known issues forever - at least since IE was initially released - and comes with its own "please send us all the info" note because many people are able to play co-op just fine, under poor conditions (bad connections, large geographical distance, low performing machines) and then sometimes you'll encounter a situation where two people just cannot play a vanilla co-op game together even though both of them independently can co-op with other people just fine. The main issue with the bug is that there's no reliable way to work around it. People have reported partial success in swapping save files, dropping players out temporarily and progressing the turn, or using the console to delete factions until the "problem" faction is identified and removed, but it's honestly a pain in the rear end.

Part of the problem, to speculate wildly, is that affected people (myself included) got frustrated and have just given up, meaning that the problem appears to have disappeared (because the people affected stopped trying).

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Thanqol posted:

That's literally a mod; Immersive Brettonia by the same guy who does the warbands for all factions IIRC

this mods pretty neat

you wind up with access to high-tier infantry much earlier on which makes using them actually worthwhile, plus the progression of the knights is cool as poo poo

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Whenever they most recently updated units not being dragged back into battle when like 3 of their models get surrounded (I think 4.1? idk) finally seems to have done it for me. I don't really find that to be much of a problem at all anymore.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Anno posted:

Whenever they most recently updated units not being dragged back into battle when like 3 of their models get surrounded (I think 4.1? idk) finally seems to have done it for me. I don't really find that to be much of a problem at all anymore.

Yeah now I mostly just have a problem of my units NOT going into battle when I would expect them to. Like they'll be overlapping another friendly unit while they both attack an enemy then when they win against it, and another enemy unit has joined in the fight in the mean time I'll notice one of my units engaged with the new unit while the other has gone back into formation at a funny angle and just stands there watching the friendly unit they are sitting on top of fight the new enemy unit. At least they do show as idle so it's relatively easy to notice and give them another attack command. I've also noticed that something related happens when a unit is flanked where they'll try to hold formation more and only the few models on the end will engage with the attacker while the other 3/4 of the unit stays in formation. I don't remember them doing that to quite such an extent before the patch.

The other thing I've noticed but I'm not sure is an actual thing is that single models like lords and heroes seem to be more easily distracted/separated from their target. Like if they are told to attack the enemy lord who is standing among a bunch of chaff they'll push in towards the lord at first but if I check back later they'll be half a unit-width away beating up the chaff unit and have to be retold who to target. I know that was always an issue but it seems more pronounced to me since the patch. But it could be just the lords I've played or just confirmation bias.

Squibbles fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 16, 2023

Anno
May 10, 2017

Squibbles posted:

The other thing I've noticed but I'm not sure is an actual thing is that single models like lords and heroes seem to be more easily distracted/separated from their target. Like if they are told to attack the enemy lord who is standing among a bunch of chaff they'll push in towards the lord at first but if I check back later they'll be half a unit-width away beating up the chaff unit and have to be retold who to target. I know that was always an issue but it seems more pronounced to me since the patch. But it could be just the lords I've played or just confirmation bias.

This I think is often the result of animations carrying them past whatever SE they're fighting and into a horde of infantry or whatever. Some are worse than others for sure.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The top tier slaanesh daemons really should get strider.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Marauders on slaanesh mounts? Strider.

Exalted daemonettes on slaanesh mounts? No strider.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?
Do Chorf unit upgrades apply to garrison troops, or only the guys in actual Lord armies? I'm talking about the bonuses you pay for in the armory with the armaments resource.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Squibbles posted:

Yeah now I mostly just have a problem of my units NOT going into battle when I would expect them to. Like they'll be overlapping another friendly unit while they both attack an enemy then when they win against it, and another enemy unit has joined in the fight in the mean time I'll notice one of my units engaged with the new unit while the other has gone back into formation at a funny angle and just stands there watching the friendly unit they are sitting on top of fight the new enemy unit. At least they do show as idle so it's relatively easy to notice and give them another attack command. I've also noticed that something related happens when a unit is flanked where they'll try to hold formation more and only the few models on the end will engage with the attacker while the other 3/4 of the unit stays in formation. I don't remember them doing that to quite such an extent before the patch.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3082390369

You got to watch them a bit, but this mod seriously completely solves this issue.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Twigand Berries posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3082390369

You got to watch them a bit, but this mod seriously completely solves this issue.

Neat, I'll have to give it a try

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Do Chorf unit upgrades apply to garrison troops, or only the guys in actual Lord armies? I'm talking about the bonuses you pay for in the armory with the armaments resource.

they get them for free, it's very good value for blunderbusses

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Mr. Grapes! posted:

I know they count on convoy units but don't count for upkeep

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Trying out a chaos daemon campaign and the mechanics make it unplayable. The restrictions on settlement buildings and recruitment means I have 3 different tier 2 settlements and none of them can recruit baseline daemons like bloodletters or horrors.

Any advice? Should I be dedicating each province to a specific God or is region by region fine?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I dedicate each group of settlements to one god. By the time I want to run multi demon armies its a non-issue.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Trying out a chaos daemon campaign and the mechanics make it unplayable. The restrictions on settlement buildings and recruitment means I have 3 different tier 2 settlements and none of them can recruit baseline daemons like bloodletters or horrors.

Any advice? Should I be dedicating each province to a specific God or is region by region fine?

Chaos Daemons are the hard mode unfortunately, the best you can do is just try to turtle till you can get better daemons after dedicating to a single god.

Daemon Prince has a cool system but kind of mediocre across the board.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Really enjoying my current Isabella SFO campaign. Her army is a total assbeater in a pretty unique way and VC are one of the factions I think SFO really improves on in the right ways. Currently the world is coalescing into a Chaos block, a beleaguered Order block largely led by the Tomb Kings and then my vampire/Skaven alliance.

As an aside, the Recruit Defeated Legendary Lords mod is something that should be officially integrated somehow. It makes these large alliance situations so much more fun when Isabella and Kemler are going into a 10k model battle against Karl Franz and Gelt or whatever, and guaranteeing that can happen is a good improvement for the game imo.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

went to go check on the age of sigmar game

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Third World Reagan posted:

went to go check on the age of sigmar game

I'm growing wary of the "long term retention as a metric of quality" argument, but under 100 players a month after launch is loving rough

Pierre McGuire
Oct 30, 2010

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I find it weird you can get aspiring champions from very early. They don't kill particularly fast but they will eventually defeat anything that isn't a designated anti-infantry AP blender.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

The Door Frame posted:

I'm growing wary of the "long term retention as a metric of quality" argument, but under 100 players a month after launch is loving rough

Sure. There are a lot of good games that just doesn't retain players because the game is designed to be something like a one and done.

But the age of sigmar game is not supposed to be that.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

My Steam year in review basically was just me constantly playing this game, and I don't regret it at all except that it's dead and nobody plays it

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The AoS game is an RTS title, and those live and die by their multiplayer scene (just look at the AoE titles) so less than 100 players postlaunch is rough as hell.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
They tried to charge the full £70 for it didn't they? Even if it was loving amazing, that'd be a tough sell I think. All the footage I saw of it looked extremely off, like a worse version of Dawn of Wars melee combat. Edit:Huh apparently not, it says the normal price for it is £50 right now.

I'd be down for an Age of Sigmar game that's either more of a direct translation of the tabletop but with QoL features and stuff or something like a story based quasi rpg where your squads are gaining experience and getting unique stuff over a longer campaign with a regional map, something like the Dark Crusade campaign for Dawn of War or Dawn of War 2. There's some cool stuff in that setting but I think the issue any Age of Sigmar game is gonna face coming out is people are going to be comparing it to Total War Warhammer with all its factions and finding it wanting.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Pierre McGuire posted:

I find it weird you can get aspiring champions from very early. They don't kill particularly fast but they will eventually defeat anything that isn't a designated anti-infantry AP blender.

It takes time and one or two melee heroes with the training skill to get fresh marauders up to Aspiring Champions but they are absurdly strong when you get deep into the tech tree. Infantry that can climb walls with shields, poison attacks, frenzy, strider, barrier, and regeneration just makes them unkillable late game, especially if you have a nurgle warshrine around.

My late game WoC armies are usually Be'lakor leading a full stack of AC's and then other demon lords with some ACs mixed into shoggoths, soul grinders, vortex beasts. Be'lakor's army taking any casualties at all is usually a sign I hosed up somehow

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Fully Loaded Aspiring Champions are breathtakingly strong, but they're still vulnerable to handgunner backshots just like everyone else

They are terrifyingly strong in offensive sieges though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

snrk

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

I luv u gaem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Hell yeah, I love playing this dead game.