Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Bloody Ray Purchase!

TBF Matt Berry pronouncing things is a good chunk of why What We Do in the Shadows is good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
I only watched Phone Shop last year because I remember the advertising campaign when it came out making it look brutally like some sort of LADS LADS LADS comedy. Turns out it's not and it's good.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I really liked Man Down, the Channel 4 one with Greg Davie, Roisin Conaty + Mike Wozniak.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Why are you dressed as the Man from Del Montay?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Unkempt posted:

I really liked Man Down, the Channel 4 one with Greg Davie, Roisin Conaty + Mike Wozniak.
I wouldn't put it high on my all time list, but you suddenly reminded me of Cuckoo (with the mention of Greg).

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Unkempt posted:

Man Down is a shitload better than it has any right to be.
There's a bunch of sitcoms that seem to be just a vehicle for one particular person to Do What They Like with a load of people they like being in it and Man Down is 100% one of them

Pablo Bluth posted:

I wouldn't put it high on my all time list, but you suddenly reminded me of Cuckoo (with the mention of Greg).

Man that show is hosed
I have no idea why it carried on going with Taylor Lautner but it's maybe the only example of a show where it's like that (as in the entire premise of the show got hosed by someone leaving in series 1 and it KEPT GOING after it)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Taear posted:

Man that show is hosed
I have no idea why it carried on going with Taylor Lautner but it's maybe the only example of a show where it's like that (as in the entire premise of the show got hosed by someone leaving in series 1 and it KEPT GOING after it)

Carrying on with Taylor Lautner was one thing (and worked out fine imo). Carrying on with Andie MacDowell for another season after Taylor Lautner left was ridiculous.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Honestly, I only pretty remember the bath making GBS threads scene

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Betjeman posted:

People just do nothing was a bunch of caricatures having wacky japes, and would have been far stronger being a standard sitcom.

Gotta disagree, it works so well because it took the formula that worked so well in a broad sense and applied it to something niche that absolutely 100% resonates with people involved in most hip hop/electronic music scenes while not alienating a general audience. You can absolutely see the love of what they do in every scene, rather that it just being actors reciting lines that someone else wrote. That it got big is great, but I’m so glad it didn’t compromise the core of the show. The film was a bit meh and way more standard sitcom.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

stev posted:

Carrying on with Taylor Lautner was one thing (and worked out fine imo). Carrying on with Andie MacDowell for another season after Taylor Lautner left was ridiculous.

It's just....weird, you know? How did it manage to struggle on

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

SeanBeansShako posted:

Saxondale is another suggestion for me for a lesser known Steve Coogan vehicle too.

The Day Today which still is fantastic, All but a few episodes the IT Crowd, Father Ted and Black Books are another bunch of suggestions from me also.

Tommy will be 70 in a couple of years :/

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

Fire the nuclear weapons

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I enjoyed Back with David Mitchell, and Bluestone 42. I have a vague memory of enjoying Roman's Empire but maybe it's actually poo poo?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Still Game is a great comedy sitcom.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

We interrupt sitcom chat to bring you 'what poo poo are we warming up to slop into your eyes xmas 2023 edition' so grab your biro and copy of the radio times and get ready:

THIS CHRISTMAS ON BBC ONE
Strictly Final
Christmas Specials: Beyond Paradise, Ghosts, GB Sewing Bee, Live at the Apollo, Bad Education
Lot No.249
Nigella in Amsterdam
Probably a pixar movie on in the morning?
The King's Speech (not the film)
The Eastenders murder mystery special or whatever depressing stuff they have planned

THIS CHRISTMAS ON ITV (X)
The Winter King
Christmas Specials: Masked Singer, Inside M&S, Emmerdale, Corrie,
The Real Fully Monty Jingle Bell Balls
Something Undone
Platform 7
Probably lots of gameshows? I presume some Deal or No Deal?

THIS CHRISTMAS ON CHANNEL 4? ALL4? JUST 4?
Christmas Specials: Bake Off, Taskmaster, The Piano, Gogglebox, 8 out of 10 Cats, Late Night Lycett,
Mog's Christmas
Probably the snowman?
A Big fat quiz
Mo Gilligan show
Jamie Oliver cooks the Mediterranean
An alternative christmas message from either a representative of Hamas or let's say First Dates Fred.

THIS CHRISTMAS ON CHANNEL 5
No idea, a yorkshire vet thing maybe?

THIS CHRISTMAS ON SKY
Christmas Specials: Brassic, Rob & Romesh, A League of Their Own, Buzzcocks
Sports Funniest Moments
Based on a True Story
Dynamo Live suicide special
Unofficial Science of Die Hard
James Acaster - Cold Lasagne Hate Myself 1999

MEANWHILE ON STREAMING(BOOOOOOOO)
Hannah Waddingham Christmas Variety Special (Apple TV+)
Candy Cane Lane, Reacher S2 (Prime)
Indiana Jones 4, What If? S2, The Santa Clauses S2, A Haunting in Venice, The Naughty Nine (Disney+)
Chicken Run 2, Harlan Coben's Fool Me Once, Rebel Moon, The Crown S6, Maestro, Emily in Paris S4 (Netflix)

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
On Talking Pictures they're running the Worzel Gummidge Christmas special.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

reality_groove posted:

THIS CHRISTMAS ON SKY

James Acaster - Cold Lasagne Hate Myself 1999

This one's a cracker, catch it if you haven't yet

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
RIP Zach Dingle :(

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Thin Blue Line is immortal purely for delivery of the line 'your cock-up, my arse!'

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
oh yes the bloke who played every gay man on television in the 1990s was in that

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

crispix posted:

oh yes the bloke who played every gay man on television in the 1990s was in that

He's gone all antivax insane now I think - James Dreyfus is his name
Or maybe antitrans insane?

Ah yea it's the latter

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
Boomers gonna boomer. Pretty sad about Zach Dingle, not watched Emmerdale for a while.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
for whoever was wanting something to watch, in addition to what's been posted I'd recommend giving Two Doors Down a watch on iPlayer. It's been going since 2016 but i only recently became aware of it. I've watched two series now and it's not bad. If you're Scottish or like me Scottish adjacent or even have just spent a while in close proximity to some Scottish people at some point, you'll see a lot of small observations that are quite funny

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

crispix posted:

for whoever was wanting something to watch, in addition to what's been posted I'd recommend giving Two Doors Down a watch on iPlayer. It's been going since 2016 but i only recently became aware of it. I've watched two series now and it's not bad. If you're Scottish or like me Scottish adjacent or even have just spent a while in close proximity to some Scottish people at some point, you'll see a lot of small observations that are quite funny

Yeah, the early seasons that I watched all the exterior scenes were filmed in the small Glaswegian suburb that I grew up in, which really added to the surreal feeling that they were just filming my actual neighbours. I just kept looking at my mum saying "They've based this character on Jenny down the road, haven't they? They must know her, they must" and "Didn't Big Tam do that at the McLaughlins' Hogmanay Party in 1998?".

It was all terribly disconcerting, not just for me, but for most of the suburb, we were all squinting at each other wondering who wrote the scripts for it.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Chubby Henparty posted:

Thin Blue Line is immortal purely for delivery of the line 'your cock-up, my arse!'

Literally the only thing I remember from that show, and the delivery was perfect.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Irisi posted:

Yeah, the early seasons that I watched all the exterior scenes were filmed in the small Glaswegian suburb that I grew up in, which really added to the surreal feeling that they were just filming my actual neighbours. I just kept looking at my mum saying "They've based this character on Jenny down the road, haven't they? They must know her, they must" and "Didn't Big Tam do that at the McLaughlins' Hogmanay Party in 1998?".

It was all terribly disconcerting, not just for me, but for most of the suburb, we were all squinting at each other wondering who wrote the scripts for it.

This is how watching the Royale Family feels for me
Which is why I don't really like it, I don't want to watch those people doing that stuff, honestly.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
A Question of Sport stopping, a bit unfortunate as it was one of the quiz shows I am actually good at

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Starbucks posted:

A Question of Sport stopping, a bit unfortunate as it was one of the quiz shows I am actually good at

Nice
Now they need to cancel league of their own

And all football, anywhere, ever

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
When I had depression a few years ago, one of the few things that lifted my mood a bit was A Question of Sport.

I don't even like it, or know much at all about sport. But it was just so good natured and dull that I found it very comforting. RIP.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
How long was that in the new format? Two years?

Maybe Paddy has a curse.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Starbucks posted:

Boomers gonna boomer. Pretty sad about Zach Dingle, not watched Emmerdale for a while.

Same, probably not seen more than a couple of eps in the last 10 years but would often catch it before then and Zach was just the best.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

The Perfect Element posted:

When I had depression a few years ago, one of the few things that lifted my mood a bit was A Question of Sport.

I don't even like it, or know much at all about sport. But it was just so good natured and dull that I found it very comforting. RIP.

The funniest episode was when they had that ballroom dancing chap, Anton du Beke on it. He swanned on, all cheerfully camp and over the top and you could see them all thinking "This bloke's just here for comedy value, he's not going to get anything right"

And then he wiped the floor with the lot of them without even batting an eyelash. It was hilarious.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Taear posted:

This is how watching the Royale Family feels for me
Which is why I don't really like it, I don't want to watch those people doing that stuff, honestly.

put kettle on, Anthony

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
early Royle Family was really well observed and funny but it took a severe nasty turn soon after and the characters became caricatures of what they'd been in series one

Irisi posted:

Christine is hilarious and everyone in and around Scotland has already met her :)

Pat from The Backs has made me laugh out loud several times despite being a never seen character

i did worry when I started watching that they were going to make a thing of Iain being gay but it's thankfully just part of the character rather than a gimmick for cheap laughs

crispix fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 16, 2023

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Lots of shows age badly; but we're all Nathan Barley now.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I think we're all closer to the TV Go Home original.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

goatface posted:

How long was that in the new format? Two years?

Maybe Paddy has a curse.

Mum thinks he is. We were watching the new Family Fortunes with that Italian chef Gino from breakfast tv.
And hes much more friendly and funny with the people than McGuinness was.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Trin Tragula posted:

Lots of shows age badly; but we're all Nathan Barley now.

Even at the time I was thinking "I know this is sending people up but I've never met these people"
Now I kinda have, but it was genuinely a bit too ahead of its time

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

I watch it again every five years and each time it gets closer and closer to reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
why didn't they just get Les Dennis to do Family Fortunes again? I'm sure he'd be glad of the work