Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Gorman Thomas posted:

Also Roberts was on the radio this morning and said they'll evaluate Ohtanis arm in September to see if he can play LF lmao

:bang:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I volunteer to also examine his arm

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
A cursory glance at the guys the rays got in the trade makes it look like the Dodgers just traded for veterans of the same guys.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Nodoze posted:

Cause Moreno is a cheap and stubborn rear end in a top hat

It’s just utterly confusing as to why he would instruct his GM to go for all-in moves ostensibly to keep Ohtani happy and likelier to re-sign and then…two months later, refuse to pony up the cash, even theoretically? It’s just so confusing.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
They tanked after the trade deadline and I think that was when it became clear Ohtani wasn't coming back. If the goal was to show Ohtani that they are serious about winning and making the playoffs it did not work.

The Angels farm system are ranked near the bottom. They aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Popete fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 15, 2023

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Poque posted:

That is a MASSIVE overpay for Glasnow lmao

When you have unlimited money you can't overpay lol

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
If's true that Ohtani gave the Angels a chance to match and they didn't that is loving heinous on Moreno's part.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

mcmagic posted:

If's true that Ohtani gave the Angels a chance to match and they didn't that is loving heinous on Moreno's part.

Yeah he seems to be the classic dumb as hell rich guy.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Moreno doesn't want to spend into the tax and he'd have to to keep Ohtani.

I imagine it might drive the price of the Angels down should he sell cause that's a hell of a liability to take on in a decade.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

mcmagic posted:

At least as egregious as the Red Sox selling Babe Ruth.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

the Red Sox got something in return for Ruth, the Angels got nothing :v:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

TheBizzness posted:

A cursory glance at the guys the rays got in the trade makes it look like the Dodgers just traded for veterans of the same guys.

And now they can try to find FA replacements that won't be on the IL half the season with that $30 million they dumped if Stu wants to open his wallet for some reason.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

They're trying to make sure the stadium funding deal gets passed.

If they want to convince me they're trying to win they can sign BWJ to a long term deal.

Still, it's nice to see a Royals front office actually take steps to address their weaknesses in ways that don't involve singing Jordan Lyles.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

In the last four seasons, Anthony Rendon has made $179,000 per at-bat.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

mdemone posted:

In the last four seasons, Anthony Rendon has made $179,000 per at-bat.

lol Ohtani's getting paid the equivalent of 11 Rendon AB's per year for ten years.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Sydin posted:

lol Ohtani's getting paid the equivalent of 11 Rendon AB's per year for ten years.

:suicide:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Arte Moreno isn't cheap, look at all that money he gave to Mike Trout and Albert Pujols and Anthony Rendon

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Bregor posted:

Arte Moreno isn't cheap, look at all that money he gave to Mike Trout and Albert Pujols and Anthony Rendon
Don’t forget CJ Wilson

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Rendon is really depressing because it hasn't been like, one nagging injury or something that's been bugging him, since going to the angels it's been

2020: good and no injuries, but it was the covid year so he still only played 52 games
2021: groin strain, left knee contusion, left hamstring strain, right hip impingement finally ended his season
2022: right wrist surgery, also got suspended for hitting someone with his cast when he was out injured which is kinda rad
2023: team said he was out with a "bone bruise" with bleeding inside the bone, rendon says he was out with a fractured tibia

he is like a concussion and a spine injury away from career injury bingo in just 3 seasons it's insane

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Cubs better bring out the Chicagoland Baseball Oafs if they're gonna land this guy.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Mustached Demon posted:

Cubs better bring out the Chicagoland Baseball Oafs if they're gonna land this guy.

I don't think we'd be much help, but I agree wholeheartedly regardless.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Bregor posted:

Oh poo poo they signed Hunter Renfroe as well

Are the Royals… BACK?!

Doesn’t he play for the Raiders?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Ohtani impressed by rapist. Cancelled!

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

That is, however, on brand for the Dodger's pitching staff of late.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Ohtani impressed by rapist. Cancelled!

Kobe posthumously buying a second ring.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kobe had pretty much skirted public association with his rape years ago, but dying young somehow only cemented that further.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I guess the Cubs' hologram of Andy Pafko wasn't good enough to sway Ohtani

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Hi I’m Kobe Bryant and I think it would be great if

SHOHEI. OHTANI.

signed with the

LOS ANGELES. DODGERS.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

https://twitter.com/EmSheDoesIt/status/1735774931852443674

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It's definitely a video he recorded for the last time they tried to recruit Ohtani. Kind of interesting they didn't use it at that time for some reason.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Shohei, I was not killed in the helicopter accident. I was MURDERED. I have left you a series of clues to unravel the mystery. Good luck, we're all counting on you.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Shohei, I was not killed in the helicopter accident. I was MURDERED. I have left you a series of clues to unravel the mystery. Good luck, we're all counting on you.

Shohei, I had evidence that would have led to the arrest of Hillary Clinton. Finish my work

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

https://twitter.com/hegelbon/status/1735781184121250126?s=46&t=2RtKUZF-7mtwaGnhOLp93A

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

TheFlyingLlama posted:

2023: team said he was out with a "bone bruise" with bleeding inside the bone, rendon says he was out with a fractured tibia

Did Anthony Rendon post this?

....don't move. Stay where you are.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Are the Cubs going to do anything or is it just hope the price for Rhys Hoskins drops enough for their liking? Haven't heard a peep about them and Bellinger.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

TheBizzness posted:

Yeah this is a pretty concise summary of how I see it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

Shohei, I had evidence that would have led to the arrest of Hillary Clinton. Finish my work

Ah so that's how the Dodgers are going to get out of all that deferred money.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Niwrad posted:

Are the Cubs going to do anything or is it just hope the price for Rhys Hoskins drops enough for their liking? Haven't heard a peep about them and Bellinger.

There was an article in The Athletic this afternoon that they're waiting for Bellinger's demands to come down to like a three-year deal because of his injury history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

In the 2020 season, Anthony Rendon had 232 ABs in 52 games.

And led the major leagues in GIDP for that season.