Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Snooze Cruise posted:

OK nerd, how about you join the Adeptus Mechanicus if you love data so much!

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
I'm a little over level 30 now and after a few party respecs I have come to the conclusion that the tier 2 archetypes are hosed in terms of balance. Assassin and bounty hunter are incredibly weak, arch-militant is so strong you barely need a party to go with along one. Vanguard and master tactician are pretty good at what they are, MT Cassia buffing her navigator powers is a little bonkers though, only way I've seen >300 damage hits so far. Grand strategist is probably the worst, just because I don't think a single one of their abilities works properly right now. Also every second tier Heroic Act is dramatically inferior to the Warrior or Officer ults. At least militant side-steps that by just letting you use both.

Operative's a useful class to bring along but having to pick from the detritus for their second class really brings them down. At least Idira can just ignore that all and pick psyker stuff, Yrliet and Pasqal get the short end of the stick.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

LuiCypher posted:

The fact that in-lore there is a non-zero amount of inbreeding in Navigator families (especially considering that House Orsellio does not seem to maintain quarters on Terra) coupled with the fact that the "bug" was the Habsburg Jaw (which is most prominent in this photo of Charles II) tells me that this was less of a bug and more of an inside joke (in poor taste) among the dev team that made it into the final game. Regardless, removing it is definitely for the best.

its a bug that happens if she doesn't have a staff, her face looks normal with one. they just forgot to give her non-slouching animations so she uses the human ones that gently caress up her model.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Assassin is extremely strong though. Constant crits, free attacks that don't count as attacks, infinitely ramping true damage that ignores defenses added to every one of their attacks, good mobility, etc.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

deep dish peat moss posted:

Assassin is extremely strong though

using six abilities worth of set up to do less single target damage than a warrior/militant can do to every enemy on the battlefield in one turn is not, in fact, extremely strong.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I don't use any setup abilities on my warrior/assassin, I just pinball around the battlefield killing everything in one hit several times per turn :shrug:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Agnostalgia posted:

Also every second tier Heroic Act is dramatically inferior to the Warrior or Officer ults.

The second tier from Arch Militant gives you a free attack on every turn for the rest of the combat, including extra turns, even ones that don't give AP. Every Move, Move, Move and Bring it Down, free attack.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

The second tier from Arch Militant gives you a free attack on every turn for the rest of the combat, including extra turns, even ones that don't give AP. Every Move, Move, Move and Bring it Down, free attack.

yeah that one's the exception, partly because you can use both it and Daring Breach in the same fight. it's one of the reasons militant is so good. you should still use breach first to build versatility, which makes it a little less useful since most fights are effectively over after that.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Kobal2 posted:

Don't get too attached - Lidless Stare drops off in killing power very quickly on account of the symbol in front of its WP damage bonus is a + rather than a *. Which even with the lolways she can ramp up her WP doesn't cut it past a certain point.
Still handy midgame to (try to) stun a whole bunch of goons at once, with the right combination of navi talents/powers. Also to autohit elves, because gently caress elves.

Funnily enough, when you get to exemplar, lidless eye comes screaming back with the talent malign... something. They take a big chunk of damage that scales on her WP when they fail a WP test she inflicts. They take double damage if they succeed, but good luck to that.

Dandywalken posted:

Grenades are quite decent tbh

On sniper aelf I took the exemplar talent where every time they kill someone they make a free attack, trying to use the same weapon.

She now hucks two celebratory frag grenades into the nearest monkeigh when she shoots someone.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Agnostalgia posted:

using six abilities worth of set up to do less single target damage than a warrior/militant can do to every enemy on the battlefield in one turn is not, in fact, extremely strong.

No most of the assassin strength is just talents they get that give them stacking damage buffs, extra Lethality, and true damage for doing damage. They ramp up very fast just like militant does. Instead of using abilities it's more about moving around and trying to hit weak sides.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i have no idea what to even use lethality for

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

cuntman.net posted:

i don't think anything consumes it, some abilities and talents are just boosted by your assassin's lethality. One of the problem with the Bad Archetypes is that they don't push you towards their main mechanic and require you to just read through every ability or talent to find the ones that make lethality/prey/battlefield areas worthwhile, which makes it harder to figure out how to use them (and how bad they are). At least operative and tactician give you a useful ability to make use of their stacks right off the bat.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

thanks but what do you use lethality for

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

it makes numbers go up when you hit them in their glowing bullseye

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

cuntman.net posted:

killing

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

cuntman.net posted:

Mostly for large amounts of bonus damage on their active ability attacks, Death Whisper and Killing Edge

e: You really don't even need to use Openings or care about them at all, except for on big bosses because they do damage based on a percentage of the target's max health. For anything that doesn't have thousands of HP your Assassin is probably just going to explode them in one hit anyway.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 16, 2023

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
is there any good way to get navigator's insight? I got 10 from a dungeon real early on, and otherwise have never gotten any other than the one you get charting a new system. clearing out sidequests before ending act 2 has been real tedious since a lot of routes are stuck orange or red, which means a fight every time. tooltips say you can get it from warp events, but I've never seen that happen.

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
I COULDN'T BACK UP ANY OF MY ARGUEMENTS, IGNORE ME PLEASE.

FrancisFukyomama posted:

RHETORIC [Heroic: Failure] - Alright, here we go. We're devoting all your available brain cells to coming up with a question about the Emperor. Scratch that, to coming up with *the* question about the Imperial Creed, the alpha and omega of ecclesiastical questions, and that question is:

1. (Whisper.) “Are women heresy?”

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

It took me a long while to understand burst fire, so a little psa using burst fire with rapid fire against single targets is a bad move. With burst fire, your shots go into lanes, a center lane between you and the target, and a lane on either side of that. A bullet goes down its lane and starts checking to hit whatever is first in the lane, then whatever is second in the lane if it got past the first and so on, it doesn't change lanes (there are two more lanes at long range to pick from though). The higher your BS skill, the higher your chance for the bullet to follow the center lane. When you have stacked revel in slaughter, versatility and stat increases, burst fire w/o rapid fire becomes laser accurate, incredible for shredding single targets but lovely for mulching groups.

Rapidfire ignores BS and gives your bullets a more even split between center lane and the other two. Fantastic for late game burst firing into crowds or idiots dumb enough to take up two or more squares, like a certain emperor's angel who shall remain nameless and heavily bleeding.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

FrancisFukyomama posted:

RHETORIC [Heroic: Failure] - Alright, here we go. We're devoting all your available brain cells to coming up with a question about the Emperor. Scratch that, to coming up with *the* question about the Imperial Creed, the alpha and omega of ecclesiastical questions, and that question is:

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Holy Throne of Terrashit, that's good.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

deep dish peat moss posted:

Mostly for large amounts of bonus damage on their active ability attacks, Death Whisper and Killing Edge

e: You really don't even need to use Openings or care about them at all, except for on big bosses because they do damage based on a percentage of the target's max health. For anything that doesn't have thousands of HP your Assassin is probably just going to explode them in one hit anyway.

If you have the movement to spare its worth hitting openings because it gives you a stacking damage up buff with a trait, so say Yrliet with the Eye of Hecaton where every attack gives her 5 mp can make great use of openings. With a high bs skill and snipers killing edge just replaces your attack button too, so it's not like assassin is juggling a ton of abilities. You have a free low damage attack that can bleed, and a higher damage main fire replacement. The only other one I use is one that lowers enemy armor, which is great with the skill that lets you use 1 assassin ability for free at round start.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Dandywalken posted:

Which is that, the ship diagnostic servitor stuff?

I think so? It's in an errand and tells me.to talk to the respec guy abt it, but I cant

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Eediot Jedi posted:

It took me a long while to understand burst fire, so a little psa using burst fire with rapid fire against single targets is a bad move. With burst fire, your shots go into lanes, a center lane between you and the target, and a lane on either side of that. A bullet goes down its lane and starts checking to hit whatever is first in the lane, then whatever is second in the lane if it got past the first and so on, it doesn't change lanes (there are two more lanes at long range to pick from though). The higher your BS skill, the higher your chance for the bullet to follow the center lane. When you have stacked revel in slaughter, versatility and stat increases, burst fire w/o rapid fire becomes laser accurate, incredible for shredding single targets but lovely for mulching groups.

Rapidfire ignores BS and gives your bullets a more even split between center lane and the other two. Fantastic for late game burst firing into crowds or idiots dumb enough to take up two or more squares, like a certain emperor's angel who shall remain nameless and heavily bleeding.

That's when you see all the enemies with different percentage calculations you'd think "oh 40% and 5% what's the point?" but the way the game calculates that is hosed sometimes, much less the mechanics of how burst+overpenetration works. The actual number is meaningless and for a rapid/burst fire you land 1/2 of them as hits minimum against anything short of some dodge monsters.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

cuntman.net posted:

Lethality is like versatility in that you don't spend it. As number goes up other numbers go up. The talents and abilities either add ways for number to go up, make number go up temporarily or make other numbers go up base on how big number currently is.

However all I know is how it works in theory as since level 20 or so all my fights end before my assassin gets to act because burst heavy bolters are just that good.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

The Lone Badger posted:

Is it possible to rename your ship? Now that I've got to know it a bit better I feel the name I picked in chargen isn't correct.

On the other hand my Downward Dog remains the pride of my trade empire.

vvv We're on a mission from the Emperor.

Reclaimer fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 16, 2023

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

pentyne posted:

That's when you see all the enemies with different percentage calculations you'd think "oh 40% and 5% what's the point?"

Sez you.
It's a 106 HP to the end of this fight, I got a full tank of Versatility, half a mag, the Veil is torn and I'm wearing a monocle. Let's you and me do the 8% Nuffle shuffle, Target One.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Assassin or Bounty Hunter for Sniper Elf?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Bounty hunter, easy.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

I used bounty hunter, it was fiddly and I didn't get a chance to wrap my head around it before I fed her to a dark hole in a side mission for 5 heresy points. I didn't really like it much. With her high dodge percent assassin seems a good fit.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Agnostalgia posted:

is there any good way to get navigator's insight? I got 10 from a dungeon real early on, and otherwise have never gotten any other than the one you get charting a new system. clearing out sidequests before ending act 2 has been real tedious since a lot of routes are stuck orange or red, which means a fight every time. tooltips say you can get it from warp events, but I've never seen that happen.

Dunno, but aimlessly running around trying to find new routes while doing random encounters has positively killed my motivation/enjoyment of this game. I don't have any paths to any `?` on the map and I feel like I've scanned as many planets as I can and poo poo like that.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Is there any point in giving other party members coercion/commerce/persuasion if my main character is an officer with high values of those?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Just use Toybox to cheat in a bunch of navigator's insight so that you can make safe direct paths between any 2 star systems any time you want.

Toybox also has an option to disable random warp events while traveling entirely which is a godsend, the events are cool at first but they become such a slog after a while

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

FrancisFukyomama posted:

got it in one, no notes

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
Ran into an Aeldari Ambush in Act 4, they dropped my entire team with snipers in the first round and Abelard had to basically do the entire fight by himself. It went on for 54 rounds as the last sniper kept running in circles around a piece of terrain before I figured out how to trick the AI into not doing that anymore.

Clerical Terrors fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 16, 2023

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Eschatos posted:

Is there any point in giving other party members coercion/commerce/persuasion if my main character is an officer with high values of those?

Coercion for Abelard, yes (if you're not wearing heavy armor yourself).
Generally speaking, no.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Clerical Terrors posted:

Ran into an Aeldari Ambush of rangers in Act 4, they dropped my entire team with snipers in the first round and Abelard had to basically do the entire fight by himself. It went on for 54 rounds as the last sniper kept running in circles around a piece of terrain before I figured out how to trick the AI into not doing that anymore.

Introduce THIS, xeno scum !

EDIT : also it has come to my attention only recently but I have come to suspect these drukhari chaps might be Bad Eggs, I'm sorry to say.

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 16, 2023

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Abby rules.

Love my battleGrandpa.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Clerical Terrors posted:

Ran into an Aeldari Ambush of rangers in Act 4, they dropped my entire team with snipers in the first round and Abelard had to basically do the entire fight by himself. It went on for 54 rounds as the last sniper kept running in circles around a piece of terrain before I figured out how to trick the AI into not doing that anymore.

Skill issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

Assassin 100. Bounty hunter special attacks are good but their main scaling mechanic is super limited and hard to proc, compared. Assassin also gets super good special attacks and scaling stats and armor piercing.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 16, 2023